"Dominant" fusees

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

"Dominant" fusees

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Sat May 02, 2015 11:16 am

I never got why people try to figure out which one of the fusees is the dominant one or which one was "in control". It's nowhere suggested in official media that a fusion is controlled (at least to some extent) or influenced more by one of the fusees, yet people are convinced that either of them is the more dominant one. (Except the Kibito Kai fusion, but I'm talking about the regular fusions like Gotenks and Gogeta, who have dual voices) If there actually would be something like that, I'm sure that the show would inform us about it even as vaguely as possible. In my way of interpreting the fusion, it either creates a new mind out of the original fusees' ones, and has that new mind control the body, or that the fusees retain their individual minds, and are in complete "sync" during the fusion.

I don't really get why people say Gogeta is more Goku and Vegito is more Vegeta. They're the complete opposite for me. I just can't see a prominent Vegeta side in Vegito, and Gogeta is too serious to be close enough to Goku.

And I know that some games have made either Goku's or Vegeta's voice more pronounced with their fusions, but I think that's only to draw some some sort of a line between them, as they'd otherwise have the exact same voice.
Last edited by Unicorn_Bazooka on Tue May 05, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dominant" fusees

Post by One_Instance » Sat May 02, 2015 11:36 am

I think some people just see more of one of the characters in a fusion than the other, so they see that person as being the "dominant fusee", as you put it.

I think I should just mention that I also used to think this way.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:00 pm

One_Instance wrote:I think some people just see more of one of the characters in a fusion than the other, so they see that person as being the "dominant fusee", as you put it.

I think I should just mention that I also used to think this way.
That's kinda my point here. What bothers me though is that this "dominant or not" thing is literally everywhere, as if it's actually a canon thing.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Tue May 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Also mentioning what I said in the op, when people say Gogeta is more Goku etc. often their explanations are something like "His name begins with the first syllable of Goku" or "When Vegito names himself, he says 'Vegeta and Kakarot' and not the other way around", and it just plain bothers me.

No offense though, this subject just really gets me mad for some reason. :? (I should stop) I'm bumping this up a bit because I really want to hear other people's opinions.

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Tue May 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I think of it as two people being "in sync," or "in form," as well. It's all about either balancing two complementary personalities (Goku and Vegeta) or accentuating the similarities between two people to an archetypal degree (Trunks and Goten. I guess).

Basically the difference between merging a "thinker" and a "feeler" versus merging two different kinds of "thinkers" (or "feelers").

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka, this is nothing new. Way back in the late 90's, I was taking some classes for dual high-school/college credit from the local university. The first saga of Z was airing on television, and all the guys were talking about it and trying to look up info online about it in the study lounges. I remember hearing and reading about these "end of Z fusions", and which character was "dominant" in each one even back then. Remember, computers back then were over phone lines, there was no youtube or anything else like that yet. Our only options then were to get lucky and find someone with some bootlegged VHS fansubs to confirm anything, or just wait until it came out here. There was so much mis-information on the web then, and, well, actually, that hasn't changed at all, has it?

Point is, the same stupid stuff that got said way back when us "First wave fans" (a designation that a member on these forums recently gave us) were first into DBZ, is still the same nonsense kids read on some old website that never got taken down, and then propagate and spread today. Don't get too agitated by it. You know better, and most people on this site at least know better, so it isn't worth getting too upset about. I don't say that lightly either, I used to get annoyed by a lot of this stuff too when I was younger. I understand debating the stuff that isn't clearly defined in the series, but when it IS fairly obvious, and people argue about it regardless, it can be somewhat mind-numbing at times.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:52 am

Vegito - Vegeta
Super Gogeta - N/A (lack of screen time)
SSJ4 Gogeta - Goku
Gotenks - Trunks

These are just opinions don't take them all that too seriously.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm

With the Fusion dance, there is no "dominant fusee." The basis of the techique is that the characters are of equal strength and that they are in sync.
Potara, on the other hand, can have a dominant fusee. Vegetto is an equal mix of Goku and Vegeta, but Kibito-shin (Kibito Kai) is clearly mainly Kaioshin with some Kibito thrown in. The same is true for the Elder Kaioshin (Old Kai).
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

The Fusion Dance seems to have the possibility of having a dominant fusee. Although Potara fusion likely has more of an opportunity to yield an outcome where one fusee is dominant, I feel leveraging the Fusion Dance to fuse can still result in the characteristics of one fusee appearing more prominently. While I can't say for certain, I've always felt that Gotenks was more akin to Trunks in personality. I think the dominance is surfaced when one individual has a more influential personality.

In regards to Potara, since there is no need for the two fusees to possess equal powers, power now becomes a variable in determining which fusee is more prominently shown. With that said, even through Potara Fusion, I feel having a more influential personality can still play a pretty big role as well.