"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 04, 2015 4:29 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:What can they do with in just four years?
The Saiyan, Freeza, Android and Cell arcs all take place within 5 years, and the Buu arc takes place within 24 hours, so they can do a lot. Many series go on forever and the characters never age... Take One Piece, for example, they are getting close to 700 episodes and the cast doesn't look like they've aged at all.
I don't see why we can't have Super take place after EOZ? Sure the cast may be a bit old, but Goku, Vegeta and the others are still old enough to be use in the story.
They could do it, but I find it unlikely because Toriyama has said he prefers the cast before EOZ. I do really like Uub, though, and hope we at least get a TV special or movie involving him.
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 04, 2015 4:32 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:What can they do with in just four years? I don't see why we can't have Super take place after EOZ? Sure the cast may be a bit old, but Goku, Vegeta and the others are still old enough to be use in the story.
They'll do whatever they want really, Toriyama doesn't care about the years I don't think. Just have the sagas roll on, one after the other with a couple of months in between.
One Piece does this too. With all the build up from BoG, and "F", I'd be surprised if he went to EoZ, as it'd be odd that in 4 years, despite training with Whis (assuming it continues post Frieza's return) the Saiyans don't surpass SSGSS.

I can't see Toriyama not wanting to show them achieving these forms as they happen (assuming they haven't reached their potential now).
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon May 04, 2015 4:40 am

People talking about a broadcast dub... I'd say it would actually be better in the long run if this doesn't happen. Why? Because then the English script-writers would have the benefit of foresight. If they had to write the dub-script for each new episode every single week, they'd have very little time to weed out any potential mistakes, (for example, out of curiousity, I checked their dub of the third episode of Assassination Classroom, which had a obvious mistranslation in the subtitles, with Karma's thought that "He's dying" in regards to his old teacher was mistranslated as "I'm dying"... This mistranslation was still present in the English dub) and if, say, at any point some very subtle foreshadowing for a future event is thrown in, the dub might completely miss it because it wouldn't be apparent what it was talking about until later on. Now granted, this being Dragon Ball, I wouldn't really expect much in the way of subtle foreshadowing and well thought out plots with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end... but I still think that FUNi waiting until the series has been running for a while would make the final product better.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 am

I just want it after DBZ because I'm just tired of being in the 10 year gap between Buu and the 28th Tenkachi Budokai. Can we just move on to the next time era please. We had two movies and one animated special set in the 10 year gap after Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I just want it after DBZ because I'm just tired of being in the 10 year gap between Buu and the 28th Tenkachi Budokai. Can we just move on to the next time era please. We had two movies and one animated special set in the 10 year gap after Buu.
Those two movies take place within the space of 24 hours, so, within 10 years, only 2 days (or 3, if we're counting the special as canon) are shown?, that's nothing.
I understand that you would prefer it post Z, but Toriyama chose the 10 year gap for BoG because everyone was at the height of their powers, so I doubt he'll go post Z, though you never know, but I feel it's unlikely.
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Mon May 04, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 04, 2015 4:56 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I just want it after DBZ because I'm just tired of being in the 10 year gap between Buu and the 28th Tenkachi Budokai. Can we just move on to the next time era please. We had two movies and one animated special set in the 10 year gap after Buu.
Same, I just want the plot to continue after the end of Z, I'm tired of them squeezing things in before that point.
DBZ_Lee wrote: Those two movies take place within the space of 24 hours, so, within 10 years, only 2 days (or 3, if we're counting the special as canon) are shown?, that's nothing.
I understand that you would prefer it post Z, but Toriyama chose the 10 year gap for BoG because everyone was at the height of their powers, so I doubt he'll go post Z, though you never know, but I feel it's unlikely.
There is a few years between Buu and BoG and then around a year from BoG the RF, they've already cut half of the gap out.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 04, 2015 5:02 am

The way the Toei statement is worded (at least for me anyway) is that it takes place after Majin Buu - just like BoG, with that being a significant event within the timeline.
I just feel if it's post Z, they would have made it clear by stating it takes place after the 28th Budokai.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:The way the Toei statement is worded (at least for me anyway) is that it takes place after Majin Buu - just like BoG, with that being a significant event within the timeline.
I just feel if it's post Z, they would have made it clear by stating it takes place after the 28th Budokai.
It seems like dense period, but Buu arc took how much? 3 days? Well, why not!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 am

The thing is that all the drama and tension would be taken out of the series if it's in the 10 year gap, because we already know everyone is gonna be ok at the end. Plus, there's all this infinite potential behind Pan and Oob.

vegitot
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegitot » Mon May 04, 2015 8:03 am

Revival,Budokai Tenkaichi?
Cell confirmed

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 am

No, you're being misled by a scan from a jump issue from 1995.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ffxiimaniac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ffxiimaniac » Mon May 04, 2015 8:30 am

Doctor. wrote:The thing is that all the drama and tension would be taken out of the series if it's in the 10 year gap, because we already know everyone is gonna be ok at the end. Plus, there's all this infinite potential behind Pan and Oob.
Really? I don't think Toriyama would have any issues with having plot holes in regards to who survives in that scenario tbh.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 am

Doctor. wrote:The thing is that all the drama and tension would be taken out of the series if it's in the 10 year gap, because we already know everyone is gonna be ok at the end. Plus, there's all this infinite potential behind Pan and Oob.
We knew this going into BoG and F, didn't stop that from having drama and tension, at least to me.

Seriously, Goku vs Beerus had tension, Beerus only destroying a fucking rock and qualifying it as "destroying Earth" was a twist.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 am

It didn't have tension to me, whilst Goku losing was unpredictable, I was 99% sure nobody was going to die or anything bad would happen.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 am

Doctor. wrote:It didn't have tension to me, whilst Goku losing was unpredictable, I was 99% sure nobody was going to die or anything bad would happen.
I was too, but there was still tension to me from just being in suspense of who was going to win or how - but to each their own.

I too would like to see post-EoZ era content though, I love Teen Goten and Trunks!
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 am

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 am

batistabus wrote:Some cool kanzenban-style fan art.

https://twitter.com/moxie2D/status/595219183459139584
Stuff like this is only gonna make it hurt more if the series ends up not being after the end of Z, lol.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

When was the last time anyone died in Dragon Ball, that wasn't resurrected?. Grandpa Gohan? seriously, none of the main cast will die without being bought back anyhow, so EoZ probably wouldn't impact Super if it was set before.
I understand people want EoZ because of Pan, Uub, Teen Trunks and Goten, but I think that the end of Dragon Ball should be left as the end.

If Super is indeed set after Z, then, that's how it is, but I just hope everyone isn't too old. The humans certainly will be, all of them.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 04, 2015 11:03 am

They might bring back Broly as the Super Saiyan God Legendary Super Saiyan, awesome
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:When was the last time anyone died in Dragon Ball, that wasn't resurrected?. Grandpa Gohan? seriously, none of the main cast will die without being bought back anyhow, so EoZ probably wouldn't impact Super if it was set before.
I understand people want EoZ because of Pan, Uub, Teen Trunks and Goten, but I think that the end of Dragon Ball should be left as the end.

If Super is indeed set after Z, then, that's how it is, but I just hope everyone isn't too old. The humans certainly will be, all of them.
Future Gohan and 16 (possibly).

And it doesn't matter if we think they're going to be revived, if there's even a small chance they won't, then that's already good.