The DB fanbase is degrading fast!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akyon
Regular

Re: The DB fanbase is degrading fast!

Post by Akyon » Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 pm

A few bad apples don't make a bad orchard. Or something.

I'm sure there are bad fans from the sub side as well who despise the dub voices and probably make similar idiotic opinions. Sometimes you need to accept that a few individuals are ridiculous and that they don't represent the vast majority of a fanbase.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:47 pm

buutenks wrote:Its a free world,everyone writes what they want.Dont judge the rest by what one person says.
I definetly agree with this

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
buutenks wrote:Its a free world,everyone writes what they want.Dont judge the rest by what one person says.
Making death threats is a serious matter which one can involve the police in, and even worse is when someone gets swatted by an asshole.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Making death threats is a serious matter which one can involve the police in, and even worse is when someone gets swatted by an asshole.
In all fairness, there's a difference between hoping someone will die and threatening to kill someone. Not that either are very reasonable, but I don't think that the two should be conflated.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Some humans are really lame.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 pm

There will always be a bunch of people who you cannot get along with no matter where you are. And typically it is not their fault, but yours. Except the half of which actually is their fault but they forget.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Japanese fan purist are just as bad as the dub only fans. You may not see as much now, but back in the day they where pretty bad. You had the fans that would hate on DBZ on Toonami because it was edited for kids and didn't have the blood, violence and cursing as the Japanese versions. Not to mention you had fans say Bejita instead of Vegeta and Torankusu instead of Trunks.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Japanese fan purist are just as bad as the dub only fans. You may not see as much now, but back in the day they where pretty bad. You had the fans that would hate on DBZ on Toonami because it was edited for kids and didn't have the blood, violence and cursing as the Japanese versions. Not to mention you had fans say Bejita instead of Vegeta and Torankusu instead of Trunks.
At least they don't wish death upon people just cuz they don't like their voice.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:51 pm

They did. Sure, not people like VegettoEX and even penguintruth, . But there are people who wish death on the cast and crew of the dub version, and not just DB, EVERY anime is like that. Digimon had an extremely bitter dubbie and subbie feud, and mass hate and death threats for people like Jeff Nimoy and so on.

But everyone can be insanely nasty, not just Subbies and not just Dubbies. Youtube fans are the worst about this. And people outside Kanzenshuu are pretty nasty. Here the most you get is Faulconer Rules, Kikuchi Drools, that's it. A bit haughty (Actually extremely haughty, but then I learned about the REALLY nasty side of fandom) but not horrible.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Thu May 07, 2015 11:09 pm

It's just one post...

There are idiot posts from every fanbase...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Japanese fan purist are just as bad as the dub only fans. You may not see as much now, but back in the day they where pretty bad. You had the fans that would hate on DBZ on Toonami because it was edited for kids and didn't have the blood, violence and cursing as the Japanese versions. Not to mention you had fans say Bejita instead of Vegeta and Torankusu instead of Trunks.
At least they don't wish death upon people just cuz they don't like their voice.
Some of the hardcore Japanese purist sure hate the Funimation voice cast. I remember one comment from 2004 wanted Funimation to burn to the ground.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:57 pm

I have an answer for the titular question. No. Because it has always been like this. There is always good and bad people, not only in fandoms but in the world itself. But you (I'm adressing the topic creator)are assuming these insane nutjobs are a majority and that people are rapidly converting to their way of thinking. No. They are a very nasty yet vocal minority. There may loads people who dislike the dub AND loads of people who love the Japanese Original. And yes, loads of Nasty nutjobs, but they arent a majority. They are just really,REALLY vocal. That's the way life works.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Fri May 08, 2015 1:23 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Um yes they have. It's bad on both sides and you're actually partially proving the point by saying the Japanese only fans are somehow more innocent then dub fans, I've seen comments of Japanese purists wishing death on Schemmel and Sabat just like this person wished death on Nozawa.

Again, it's bad on both sides and it even leaks onto Kanzenshuu for brief moments, but at least here there is a staff who tries to keep the peace but everywhere else, elitists on both sides make this fandom HIGHLY toxic. The fanbase isn't degrading but it does go through some pretty toxic phases.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 am

Would rather argue that it's the entire human population that's degrading fast, lol. We, in our entirety can be extremely stupid and fucked up, and the internet is the perfect place where you can take a front row seat to view the shittiest sides of humanity.

One thing we can do is try to NOT be like these guys. And who says that because they're fans of the series too that they should impact your experience regarding DB? Also, their stereotypical dumbass-fan behavior ultimately does not reflect who you are as a fan. You are you, not them.
So, you just keep being awesome and continue to enjoy the series in your own way. :)

Also, Nozawa can't die--she'll always live on through Goku.

ChiChiFan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChiChiFan » Fri May 08, 2015 2:23 am

Smdh! That's uncalled for.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri May 08, 2015 3:10 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Just when I thought I've heard it all from the typical Nozawa/Japanese hater of the series. I was scrolling through threads on the internet and came across a kid saying "i was hoping Nozawa would die before they started Super." Can you believe it? These so-called "fans" are waiting for Nozawa to die now...They don't just hate on her now, they are taking it a step beyond that.
His prior comments are pure hatred and shit-talking towards the actress and her ability to actually act and play Goku as opposed to Schemmel's amateurish acting from the early 2000's. The typical Nozawa hater continuously calls someone a "weaboo" if they oppose their perspective.
That's the problem with the "Dragon Ball" fanbase, it's too divided. There's "FUNimation fanboys", "Kai fanboys", "Ocean fanboys", "Japanese fanboys", we need to stop attacking each other and realize we're all fans of the same thing.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:38 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Some of the hardcore Japanese purist sure hate the Funimation voice cast. I remember one comment from 2004 wanted Funimation to burn to the ground.
I guess if you put it that way, but I don't think wanting a company gone is quite as nasty a comment as wanting a person to die.
voltlunok wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Um yes they have. It's bad on both sides and you're actually partially proving the point by saying the Japanese only fans are somehow more innocent then dub fans, I've seen comments of Japanese purists wishing death on Schemmel and Sabat just like this person wished death on Nozawa.

Again, it's bad on both sides and it even leaks onto Kanzenshuu for brief moments, but at least here there is a staff who tries to keep the peace but everywhere else, elitists on both sides make this fandom HIGHLY toxic. The fanbase isn't degrading but it does go through some pretty toxic phases.
They have…?! I've been lurking around the community and never spotted such comments. Trust me, I get around.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 am

Judging the fandom by internet posts isn't the best idea as it's hardly a representative sample.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri May 08, 2015 10:23 am

Disliking the fact that the only legally available version of the series is a highly edited, poorly translated and low-budget dub of extremely questionable quality sounds.... fairly reasonable to me. Not to mention the fact that you see less of it now is because there are easily available alternatives.

Is this just a "I grew up on the English dub, so how dare other people not like it" thing?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri May 08, 2015 10:39 am

Adamant wrote:Disliking the fact that the only legally available version of the series is a highly edited, poorly translated and low-budget dub of extremely questionable quality sounds.... fairly reasonable to me. Not to mention the fact that you see less of it now is because there are easily available alternatives.

Is this just a "I grew up on the English dub, so how dare other people not like it" thing?
Disliking it is one thing. The extent to which it used to be though? That was entirely different. When you had some fans flat out wishing for the deaths of people involved in the dub, or even the failure of the company as a whole - that might not be as bad as wishing for death, but it's still pretty needlessly vindictive to wish for people to lose their jobs, though I admit I'm a bit bad on this one at times with a different anime company - just because they don't like the version they're pumping out, is still a little silly in retrospect. Not to mention how they would treat their fellow fans.

Again though, this hasn't been a problem at large for a long time now, thanks to a majority of the most volatile fans from that time either maturing or moving away from the series, as well as a more abundant variety of legal ways to collect the series.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)