Pick One Canon Movie Villain

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SoundVox

Pick One Canon Movie Villain

Post by SoundVox » Sat May 09, 2015 8:00 pm

If you could make one movie villain canon, who would you pick? Personally I would pick Cooler. I just lost love his design more than any other movie baddie, plus I enjoy there being more to Space Hitler's family, other than just King Cold. We didn't get much time with him, but I enjoyed how he didn't underestimate Goku, unlike Frieza. I honestly wish he was more of an anti-hero than a flat out villain. Cooler's Revenge isn't my favorite movie, but he's definitely my favorite movie villain, and I'd want him to be canon (Beerus doesn't count, he's canon already and I consider him an anti-villain. Otherwise he'd win no doubt). What about you guys? Which movie villain do you like enough that you'd want them to be canon (it's okay to say Broly....I won't hurt you)?
Last edited by SoundVox on Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moochfloatjr
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Pick One Canon Movie Villain

Post by moochfloatjr » Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Probably Cooler. Broly is a good idea on paper but only if we stick to his coherent self from Movie 8 - besides, it'd fuel his fanboys even more. Cooler is a good character, has a good design, and his movie doesn't clash terribly with the canon as-is.
Don't be too alarmed if I just don't show up for a few months. Hooray for fleeting interests!
Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Super Saiyan 3 Lord Appule vs. Kaio-ken x20 Future Mecha Nappa
Nappa squashes Appule like the bug he is.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 pm

SoundVox wrote:If you could make one movie villain canon, who would you pick?
Janemba (and Mira).

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat May 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Hmm...a bit of a toughie actually.

I really like Janemba's final form design and the idea behind him. It expanded upon the whole souls being cleansed thing we were introduced to in the Saiyan Saga anime(I cannot remember if this appeared in the manga or not) which is something I always thought was pretty cool.

But...Cooler is not without his merits either. A simple Frieza re-imagining he may be, but I cannot deny that I loved his attitude towards his henchmen and his view on his brother. Plus I liked the Cooler Armoured Squadron. Sauza blade may be one of the best ideas for a ki attack out there and Neiz has got a really unusual design I can get behind.

Bojack's a bit dull, but I kind of liked the idea behind space pirates too and I'd of liked some expansion on the Hera race and their struggle against the Kais.

Hmmm...I guess I'll be boring though and go Garlic Jnr. We had an entire arc in the anime that was filler. May as well just ask to undo that and make it canon. Plus he was one of the few villains to actually succeed with getting his wish for immortality, a feat that no one else ever managed. Props to son of Garlic.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sat May 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Best character that fits in is Cooler, but why would it matter ? If we could actualy choose one to get his saga i would totaly go with Broly,,mini saga, but prequal to movie 8...

Potentialy there is a lot of backstory and it seams like he actualy had good conection with his father,,well atlest when he didn't go in blood rampage,,otherway for new saga Cooler would be my second choice, but sadly he doesn't seam any different than Frieza...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Cooler. Man, he was colossally wasted under Toei.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Dr. Wheelo. Just because.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Coola if he has the same level of personality as he does in the Funimation dub. Coola in the Japanese version is bland as crap. Not to mention he is probably one of the very few movie villains that can almost fit.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Hmmm.... if I were to make a list of the only movie villains that are worth being canon...

Cooler - Another potential great villain. What separates him from his brother is that he seems more calculating and business-orientated. His pride in his clan is much greater than Frieza's, and ultimately what drives him, as opposed to simply being the strongest and bullying people for the sake of it (though it's stated somewhere that he's more cruel than Frieza, so maybe not). He didn't bother wasting precious time killing a baby saiyan, as Frieza would have done. When he merged with the Geti Star, he didn't quickly decide to invade Earth and seek revenge. Sure, Cooler wants vengeance, but he puts that away to continue working on his actual goal, which is universal dominance. The only time he went straight on the attack was when his family was dishonored, but only because he truly felt he could restore that honor.

I feel if he was revived instead of Frieza in F, he'd actually focus on his organization's growth and prosperity before training and going over to Earth to exact his revenge--he actually cares about continuing his father's work. Frieza really is the impatient little brat of a brother, whereas Cooler has his priorities straight. At least, that's how I see it in my head canon, based on what has been shown of the character. If he was canon, I'd replace the Trunks saga with a mini "Cooler saga." Instead of Frieza and King Cold arriving to Earth, Cooler does. It ultimately ends with Trunks, but would be much longer in comparison, and there'd be more calamity, on par with the planetary invasion in F.

Broly - Well, not much to say except he makes me rock hard. This character's design is fantastic, his psychopathic behavior in his LSSG form is downright frightening, and he's an EVIL SSJ. His flaws include his bland personality in his base form, his backstory, and his status as A "legendary" SSJ. I would LOVE him to be canon, but his entire character would need to be re-envisioned. I've thought of a "Broly saga" for a long time, but I'm not going to go into detail. The jist, more or less, of what I'd personally like to be done with him is the following:
a) I'd place him in the gap after the Cell Games and before the Buu saga, when Goku is dead and Goten has just been born.

b) He would not be A legendary super saiyan, but rather, THE legendary super saiyan. The progenitor saiyan, if you will, existing 1000 years prior to the story, and having NO affiliation with Goku or the modern saiyans at all.

c) I'd like his base form to be benevolent in nature, but not through a mind-control device. I don't know whether I'd prefer him to be a tragic figure controlled by his own overwhelming power and saiyan instincts, a sociopath who camouflages his true intentions behind the figure of a kind individual, or someone with a dissociative identity disorder, but I see him being (seemingly or not) a good person. His LSSG form should, however, have the same personality as in the movies.

d) He should act as a foil to Gohan's character, who befriends him. This is honestly the most bleak period in the DBZ timeline, taking place not too long after Goku's death, and shortly after the birth of Goten (or one year after it), who Gohan realizes will never meet his father. I see it as a time where Gohan is once again guilt-driven and determined to protect his family and friends. Hence why I'd like the introduction of such a dark villain here. This would be a dark saga. That's not to say it'd be completely dry and depressing. Cell Games arc tone maybe?

Janemba - <3333333333333333333333333333333333 Fat Janemba. Love him, love him, love him!!! Super Janemba though, as cool as he looks and his abilities are, is boring--he's basically Kid Buu with the fun sapped out. If he was canon, his super form's personality needs an overhaul, and he should have his own saga after or during the current God one. Janemba should start as an infant (fat form) and gradually evolve and grow, becoming more intelligent in the process and also distorting the universe/multiverse instead of just the other world. His presence alone would bring calamity to all of existence, making him one of the biggest threats the heroes have ever faced. It would make for some wacky/funny settings and moments too. Not to mention, the characters can all play some sort of role if they split up thanks to this distortion. Toriyama could have a ball with this character.

To rank which ones I would want to be canon:
1. Janemba - I feel Toriyama could do wonders with him. It would be a very fun saga.
2. Cooler - He'd fit pretty well in the proposed arc I mentioned. Hell, even now he could fit well.
3. Broly - I like my vision of Broly, but it would never be executed the way I see it. Generally, he's just out of place in modern DBZ.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Fri May 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Akyon wrote:Bojack's a bit dull, but I kind of liked the idea behind space pirates too and I'd of liked some expansion on the Hera race and their struggle against the Kais.
Totally agree with you, plus I like the idea of there being a race with transformations similar to SSJs is awesome. I'm seeing a lot of Janemba love here as well. I love his design as well, I guess I'm just stuck on the canon blockers with his story. Then again, my question was which villain, not which movie, so I guess Janemba would be cool. Think I'd want them to do it like the GBA game Buu's Fury, where you cut out the dead villains aspect.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri May 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Dr. Wheelo. Just because.
I'm going to do Wheelo unironically- being the only Earthling of the bunch has huge narrative perks. With him and Kochin (Kojin?) being in their prime fifty years prior to movie and thus twenty-five or so years before Goku was born, you could tie them into all sorts of pre-Z stuff; perhaps the bio-warriors taking inspiration from King Piccolo's demon-spawning during first reign of terror, which they would have been around for, perhaps a kinship with a younger Dr. Gero, on top of simply their own experiments and descents into madness.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat May 16, 2015 12:08 am

The Tree of Might.

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sat May 16, 2015 11:31 am

With so much potential on Frieza and his family, Cooler is probably the ideal movie villain to become canon. If there were a Cooler saga, there would be so much room and leverage here to shed some light on a lot of the mysteries that currently shroud Frieza and his family.

Janemba could also be an interesting canon character. The concept of him being the essence created from all the evil extracted from the previous villains prior to them being reborn as a different being would also be pretty neat to watch in the form of a saga. In my opinion, this could also fit pretty well in terms of illustrating the purification process, as the concept of HFIL is not canon.
Last edited by supercat on Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 16, 2015 11:34 am

Is none an answer? Because the only ones I like are Tullece and Janemba, and Tullece would just be a rehash of Vegeta whilst Janemba (also a rehash, of Boo) would be an incredibly boring villain for an entire arc.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat May 16, 2015 11:46 am

It's not like they would "enter in the canon realm" keeping their personalities as shown in their movies, is it?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 pm

A mini-arc with Hirudegarn would be cool. Play him off as totally unstoppable, basically a DB Godzilla, and have him ultimately be defeated by Bulma and her super-sciency stuff while Goku and co. stall him from wrecking some city somewhere.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun May 17, 2015 11:10 pm

In fact, I imagined plots envolving some of those villains, but with different background, personality and story.

At first, Dr. Wheelo would be Dr. Gero's younger brother and would study the secrets of the universe, discovering some remaining Tsufurian device named Big Gete Star. After collecting junk trough the universe it ultimately gave birth to Hatchyack, the embodiement of Tsufurian’s hatred against the Saiyans. Dr. Wheelo merely would emit a signal in order to call Hatchyack to Earth, so that he could do what his older brother didn’t, which was killing Goku once and for all. He would have the same motivation and background as Bebi and the enhanced absorption ability of Super No. 17, instead of possessing people. This mini story would happen between Battle of Gods and Ressurrection F. That would require Vegeta to become a Super Saiyan God and his godly ki would overcome Hatchyack’s advantages.

Another, I would use Hoi in order to bring Hirudegarn, the legendary demon god, with the dragon balls. As a result, Hirudegarn would possess the most intelligent person in the Earth and since he would fail in possessing Bulma, that was protected by Vegeta, he would possess someone equally intelligent, Dr. Wheelo, and acquire his intellect. In a fight, it would be impossible to hit Dr. Wheelo, since he has the power of a god and can also travel through dimensions like Janemba. Not to mention, after possessing Dr. Wheelo, he is able to access all of the Z Fighters’ info, such like fighting strength and techniques.

In order to defeat such villain, the Z Fighters would receive help from the ones that were teaming up before Hirudegarn was summoned, their names being Broly, Slug and Coola, each one ressembling one of the 3 more proeminent races, originally all living in the demon realm because they were sealed there by the 5 Kaioshins. Their intent would be solely getting rid of Hirudegarn so they could rule over the demon realm. Eventually they would want an audience with God of Destruction Beerus himself. Each would have a legendary transformation that can match those of the main cast, but with a unique trait, in those forms they could use the same psychic ability that Bojack’s crew had and temporarily lock Hirudegarn, but with the drawback of not being able to move, thus explaning why they need more powerful people to finish Hirudegarn off. That would probably fit somewhere after Oob’s debut.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:11 am

Dr. Uiro existed long before Dr. Gero was most likely born. So the idea of the two being related won't work. I doubt Dr. Gero knows that he exist or is it possible that he is consider to be a urban legend which is why Dr. Gero never look into his studies.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Mon May 18, 2015 6:54 am

Definitely Cooler. He has a neat design and I like his attitude, and the fact that he's Freeza's brother. Not super in love with how they used him in the movies, though. You'd think he'd get over his inborn hubris, avoid Earth at all costs and and work on keeping the family business together while his father and brother are busy being dead.

Sanyo96

Post by Sanyo96 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 am

Easily Cooler, he could probably be canon. His movie takes place during the three years training before the Cell Saga.