Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by jcogginsa » Sun May 17, 2015 2:46 pm

i did have the think a bit to recall the connection

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Sun May 17, 2015 2:48 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I understand black and watermelon jokes.

But don't see how in this case it was racist. Boo is shaped like a watermelon :lol: .
Well, could someone explain the watermelon thing to me? I've never heard of that connection in Denmark.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I understand black and watermelon jokes.

But don't see how in this case it was racist. Boo is shaped like a watermelon :lol: .
Well, could someone explain the watermelon thing to me? I've never heard of that connection in Denmark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 17, 2015 2:53 pm

A Dark skinned character who is ethnicity is likely indian, then african, who even if was african, has shown no hurtful stereotypes before now, transmutates a watermelon. Yep, that's racism alright. Legit racism. KKK Racism. Might as well call Uub 'Jim Crow' from now on. :|

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun May 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow, you sure learn something new every day. I had literally no idea there was some connection between black people and watermelons. I guess this prejudice isn't really know in Europe.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Over-sensitivity strikes again.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun May 17, 2015 3:50 pm

It's ironic that people call Salagir racist over this joke when Toriyama is the one who created Mr Popo.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 3:54 pm

rereboy wrote:Over-sensitivity strikes again.
Well to be fair. Some of these members could be a victim of black racism or not understand it fully.
It's ironic that people call Salagir racist over this joke when Toriyama is the one who created Mr Popo.
Popo is offensive?

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Marco Polo wrote:It's ironic that people call Salagir racist over this joke when Toriyama is the one who created Mr Popo.
And before anyone starts derailing the thread and starts a debate. There's already a thread for it. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=30396
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 17, 2015 4:10 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: Well to be fair. Some of these members could be a victim of black racism or not understand it fully.
I knew about the jokes associating black people and watermelons in the USA and still the thought that this page had anything to do with that or any kind of racism never crossed my mind.

People are just creating their own "racism" out of nothing by being over-sensitive about everything.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:11 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:So did Salagir got this idea of a fight from Xenoverse?
Considering that the scripts are made so long from when the finished page arrives, I wouldn't think so.
How long would that be? Xenoverse came out in February and it's May right now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:13 pm

rereboy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: Well to be fair. Some of these members could be a victim of black racism or not understand it fully.
I knew about the jokes associating black people and watermelons in the USA and still the thought that this page had anything to do with that or any kind of racism never crossed my mind.

People are just creating their own "racism" out of nothing by being over-sensitive about everything.
You're not everyone else though. What if a user who posted that it's offensive was a victim of watermelon racism. In that case I understand. In other cases I'm with you. That in no way that it's racist.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 17, 2015 4:16 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
You're not everyone else though. What if a user who posted that it's offensive was a victim of watermelon racism.
Such a person should realize that he/she is over-sensitive regarding the issue due to her own traumas/experiences. Being a victim of racism doesn't justify calling racist at every little thing.
Last edited by rereboy on Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:18 pm

rereboy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
You're not everyone else though. What if a user who posted that it's offensive was a victim of watermelon racism.
Such a person should realize that he/she is over-sensitive regarding the issue due to her own traumas/experiences.
I wouldn't say he's overly sensitive. But that's a different subject. So I'll just leave.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 17, 2015 4:21 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: I wouldn't say he's overly sensitive. But that's a different subject. So I'll just leave.
A person that is a frequent victim of racist watermelon jokes should be much more sensitive to anything that might resemble a joke like that than a normal person who hasn't gone through that. So, obviously, he/she would probably be over-sensitive compared to a normal person. However, like I said, being a victim doesn't justify exaggerations.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Want to reiterate that Uub is of Indian descent, not African. Anyone who finds this racist should at least know who the races of characters are.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:47 pm

rereboy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: I wouldn't say he's overly sensitive. But that's a different subject. So I'll just leave.
As I said. Different topic and I'm leaving

RealtreeByGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by RealtreeByGod » Sun May 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Are people seriously getting pissed off at this? I thought it was a big joke or something.

This is part of the reason our society is going down the crapper, it's become so fun and trendy to play yourself up to be the victim and people will take this huge leaps of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that they are offended.

Seriously, grow the fuck up.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun May 17, 2015 11:11 pm

Am I the only one who got a sudden craving for Watermelon from that page?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:54 am

I didn't see it being racist until other people pointed it out. I always thought Uub wanted a healthy snack :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/