VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: VIZ 3-in-1 Editions Coming Summer 2013

Post by rereboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Its a matter of perspective, but they would always lose something no matter the choice, which is why I disagreed with it being just "acceptable". I would consider it merely acceptable if it was a possible way of going about it, but the alternative (Vegetto) was the clear superior choice that doesn't really lose anything significant. Which is not what happens.

By choosing "Vegetto" they would be sacrificing part of the original intent of the text, as well as coherence in their translation, for the sake of literal translation. That choice would actually sacrifice more than the choice they made, which only sacrifices a static literal approach to his name.

We might regard the literal translation aspect higher than those other aspects, but we can't be blind to the fact that their choice does all this. So, even while acknowledging different perspectives, I just don't agree with calling it just acceptable or wrong.

Joppuman

Post by Joppuman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:23 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but i like the fact that they haven't added a z to what would be the z stuff in the anime, of the manga, if that makes any sense. Basically I'm saying i like that they are calling it all dragon ball and not splitting it up into dragon ball and dragon ball z. It makes me wonder if in all future releases of the manga, that they will be referring to the series as just dragon ball from now on.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm

I wasn't really trying to make a large statement about how accurate those words were as a translation, simply that I don't like them and will not buy their product if they are there. I'm not saying its wrong (other than Hercule, and Djinn is them making an awkward stretch just to sound smart), but its not what I want from an English DB manga.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I wasn't really trying to make a large statement about how accurate those words were as a translation, simply that I don't like them and will not buy their product if they are there. I'm not saying its wrong (other than (the H-word), and Djinn is them making an awkward stretch just to sound smart), but its not what I want from an English DB manga.
Why not just read them as Mr. Satan and genie in your head then? Problem solved.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Has anyone spotted any uncut re-prints of Volume 1? They were supposed to be out later last month
So, I visited a Barnes and Noble in Huntington Beach, CA this morning, and saw the omnibus editions. For kicks, I grabbed the first volume, checked the first page and behold! It said "Second Printing-November 2014". I flipped through to the pages that would typically have been censored, and Viz was true to their word. All penises and boobs are restored properly. The only page I forgot to check was the one where Bulma has some censored dialog (where it actually covers the words to say "CENSORED"). I also stupidly didn't take any pictures. But hey, this looks like Viz at least kind of cares. Now if only they would fix "(the H-word)" "Djinn" and "Vegerot", I would consider buying this release.
Awesome! I gotta go get it now :) Thank you for the update!!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:37 am

Ok, one more update. Went and checked it again, and it looks like Viz couldn't help but screw something up. Bulma's middle finger to Pilaf is still altered to be her index finger in the new printing. But the dialog is fixed.

So yeah, still not gonna buy it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:21 pm

jeez really...really...ughhh time to complain of FB again....

Got mine the other day! Some other things are still censored/edited like Sherman the Shaman and lips are colored in (expected that) Dialogue as well for Vol. 1 and 2.

Still glad they kept they're work even in missing a pannel tho. They musta made these in a jiffy!
Image :lol: :lol:

Nothing that takes away from reading it but poor Goku.. :lol: :lol:

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Ugh, even if it's just digital only, I want a damn uncensored version of the entire manga already!
You must have faith in who you are.

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vaughngief » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:40 am

Seems like this release has had nothing but trouble. I'm probably just gonna finish up the Viz Big editions, despite them being kinda hard to read for long periods of time. Yeah, they're pretty bulky, but the overall paper quality is very nice.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Do these have Bulma's titties uncensored? yeah I know, comic book titties but these things matter to those of us from the pervier variety. :lol:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Has anyone spotted any uncut re-prints of Volume 1? They were supposed to be out later last month
So, I visited a Barnes and Noble in Huntington Beach, CA this morning, and saw the omnibus editions. For kicks, I grabbed the first volume, checked the first page and behold! It said "Second Printing-November 2014". I flipped through to the pages that would typically have been censored, and Viz was true to their word. All penises and boobs are restored properly. The only page I forgot to check was the one where Bulma has some censored dialog (where it actually covers the words to say "CENSORED"). I also stupidly didn't take any pictures. But hey, this looks like Viz at least kind of cares. Now if only they would fix "(the H-word)" "Djinn" and "Vegerot", I would consider buying this release.
Good to know. I'll pick it up now. :clap:
Maron is stacked!!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:37 am

Android 50 wrote:Do these have Bulma's titties uncensored? yeah I know, comic book titties but these things matter to those of us from the pervier variety. :lol:
The entire volume (2nd printing) is uncensored with the sole exception of Bulma's middle finger at Pilaf being altered to her index finger. Still false advertising, which bugs me.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:06 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
Android 50 wrote:Do these have Bulma's titties uncensored? yeah I know, comic book titties but these things matter to those of us from the pervier variety. :lol:
The entire volume (2nd printing) is uncensored with the sole exception of Bulma's middle finger at Pilaf being altered to her index finger. Still false advertising, which bugs me.
Lips are colored in still or removed (expected) as well as sherman the shaman. But I'll take it as it is..now to cant wait till march 3rd!

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
Oh that bothers me and its weird how they'd leave in things like Bulma's titties but not a middle finger. :problem: oh well I'll check it out anyway, also does anyone know if the Viz Bigs censor the cover page of Mr.Satan giving the middle finger? I'm just curious but its not as big a deal since I have the korean version of that volume which is uncut.

Gotta color in the lips so not to offend anyone!
Maron is stacked!!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:09 am

I think it was missed. It seems they're using the VIZBIGS as a base so they have to re-insert uncensored panels, panel by panel.

Seems like we're missing a lot of title pages this time around

Namely Tale 272-278,282
Am I just missing ones that are in the book? Cause this seems like a lot :/

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by rzerox21xx » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I think it was missed. It seems they're using the VIZBIGS as a base so they have to re-insert uncensored panels, panel by panel.

Seems like we're missing a lot of title pages this time around

Namely Tale 272-278,282
Am I just missing ones that are in the book? Cause this seems like a lot :/

yeah I'm missing those same title pages in my copy.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:14 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:
yeah I'm missing those same title pages in my copy.
I don't understand how they can be missing some every issue (of "z" so far)?

Also, next 2 covers!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Those covers look really nice but dammit, this is a terrible release. :(

Just continue releasing the definitive edition -- Full Colour Comics.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

Amazon revealed the cover for volume 11

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:15 am

These are coming out so incredibly slow. :problem:

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am

The Kanzenban covers are the coolest part of this release.