Choose the 3 main characters of Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Choose the 3 main characters of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Basaku » Thu May 21, 2015 4:55 pm

I have major reservations with Uub being in the main cast from the start. This is one of the biggest EOZ problems. New characters shows up and get appointed byt the story/author as the new main character. Gohan had to work "years" to get even close to that status yet Uub gets the torch passed down to him the second he appears. And then the story ended and GT didn't really do anything with Uub's character.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Basaku wrote:I have major reservations with Uub being in the main cast from the start. This is one of the biggest EOZ problems. New characters shows up and get appointed byt the story/author as the new main character. Gohan had to work "years" to get even close to that status yet Uub gets the torch passed down to him the second he appears. And then the story ended and GT didn't really do anything with Uub's character.
Well, Gohan and Vegeta were pretty much the main characters in Z from the Saiyan arc and beyond.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu May 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Well, Gohan and Vegeta were pretty much the main characters in Z from the Saiyan arc and beyond.
But Z didn't end on Episode 3 (not to mention that Vegeta was a villain which is whole different thing). They were introduced to lead into a new big story. That wasn't the case with Uub. He gets introduced, appointed new main character and the series ends lol. Nearly 2 decades later it may be just a bit late to try to justify his sudden lead status in EOZ

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

I never really cared for Uub like most. I don't really care if he's relevant or not. I do like Goku/Pan/Trunks as main characters, although I would prefer Gohan and Goten also.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Uub feels too much like another Gohan to me: Character with huge latent battle potential who doesn't really get enjoyment out of fighting. I don't wanna do that again.

I really want a rebooted Pan. I like how in her brief Neko Majin cameo she's still got her short EoZ hair; I'd like older Pan with short hair, it would visually make her stand out from GT Pan.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:55 pm

Gonna go with the only characters that could possibly salvage this from being a bad fanfiction.

Mr. Satan.
Boo.
Bee.

I'd like to see Mr. Satan fly throughout space in a Duck Dodgers-esque fashion, maybe with a spaceship made out of Boo himself. While Satan battles amongst the stars with drug traffickers such as Gabriel and Raphael, Bee takes a bite out of space crime.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:51 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I'd like for characters to have arcs, so the main characters switch around to develop people. Kinda like in a comic where story arcs can switch perspective.
This. I'd like to see different protagonists for each arc. Though if I could only choose 3 permanent main characters then I'd go with Piccolo, adult Trunks and Goten.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Same as it's always been since DBZ:

-Goku
-Gohan
-Vegeta
-Piccolo
-Kuririn
Now I want this, but maybe with Pan added in if this is set at EOZ or Goten since Trunks already got his time with GT. What they could do is have it be like the Android saga where you had Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks as the main fighters with Krillin staying prominent through moving events along.

My reason for wanting one of them is because I noticed a pattern which is that every DB series has some child in a leading role. For DB, it was Goku. For Z, it was Gohan and then Goten and Trunks. For GT, it was...Goku again. One of the kids will do something important, but I think the highest candidate is Pan.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 am

SSJ Human wrote:

-Goku
-Gohan
-Vegeta
-Piccolo
-Kuririn
Now I want this, but maybe with Pan added in if this is set at EOZ or Goten since Trunks already got his time with GT. What they could do is have it be like the Android saga where you had Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks as the main fighters with Krillin staying prominent through moving events along.

My reason for wanting one of them is because I noticed a pattern which is that every DB series has some child in a leading role. For DB, it was Goku. For Z, it was Gohan and then Goten and Trunks. For GT, it was...Goku again. One of the kids will do something important, but I think the highest candidate is Pan.
Pan, Uub and Bra. The potential for kid protagonists after EoZ is high.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Only the three main characters?
Well, the basics we need from where we left off: Goku, Vegeta and Beerus.

But I hope to see a lot of characters involved in their own business, doing their part of the mission (everyone doesn't have to fight, but there are other things like in the previous arcs: divising plans, participating to events, exploring, investigating, chasing someone or something, creating new inventions, etc...).

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:35 pm

soulnova wrote:
SSJ Human wrote:

-Goku
-Gohan
-Vegeta
-Piccolo
-Kuririn

Pan, Uub and Bra. The potential for kid protagonists after EoZ is high.
Using Pan would be a nice break of the pattern established by the other series where there was always a little boy, as I mentioned with the original series, Z and GT.

Not to big on Uub, but Bra would be an interesting choice since she's from Vegeta's line, which arguably makes her the least likely. She didn't do much of anything in GT where all of her potential was wasted so I would prefer that they use her instead of Pan here. The only problem is that she might be seen as too girly, given her previous appearances whereas Pan was just right. Not sure what they'll do with her here.

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:05 pm

If it's just three characters, then the series would be just samey. Watching the show the After the Freeza saga started to get underwhelming at times since it was just the Saiyan show.