"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:Um guys...
Looks like that outfit, but the wind made by the aura rises it up a bit.
That outfit is so fucking badass, I don't care about if Toriyama likes Vegeta better with his armor, Vegeta should be wearing this outfit in BoG
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: before they time skip to post EoZ.
This is not directed at you ArchedThunder, but that piece of sentence made me realize something in general, so that's why I quote you, but this is not something I say to you personally.
That people nowadays can't get passed their own ideas of what should be or not, and 50 episodes later, they'll still be convinced that "there will be a time skip to explore what's after the epilogue at some point".

After repeating over and over that it made more sense to set it before the epilogue and was surely going to be that way, now that it happened (oh, what a surprise, all signs pointing to one decision and it's that very decision that was taken...), they still won't let go of that "after the epilogue" idea and will still insist that it's got to happen at some point even if we get 75 episodes into this new series without any sign that it will ever happen.

Talk about stubborn fans that want this one thing and not those 99 other rightful possibilities.
You're here to be told a story decided by someone else, not to decide what story you should be told. That's the whole point of being told a story instead of telling one.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with fans wanting the series to finally move past the end of Z, you don't have to be condescending just because people would like something else from the series.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:19 pm

^ That depends on how long they'll keep complaining about it again and again.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:24 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Thank you 2ch thread! I looked for a good while last night for the Jump 08 character sheets (I know I have copies, but of course I didn't label them in any easy-to-locate way).

Not only Gokû, but Trunks (Well, I think Trunks' is a little different, *goes to check*) and Mr. Satan are all wearing their 08 outfits:

Source: http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ ... 432288333/

EDIT: :Yeah, Trunks' outfit is different, but clearly inspired by the 08 special's one.

Also, it is so strange seeing Gokû's wrists. They're like the one thing he almost-always keeps covered.
Yes, he seems naked whenever he doesn't have them covered.
I just noticed that... he does kinda look naked in a way :lol: anyways if super takes place after RF then YAAAY hopefully more of Goku's new gi :clap:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:25 pm

Noah wrote:
That outfit is so fucking badass, I don't care about if Toriyama likes Vegeta better with his armor, Vegeta should be wearing this outfit in BoG
He only wore in Boo arc because of Tenkaichi rules. It's really just his Cell arc attire without the sleeves and padding. Toei is the one who made Vegeta wear the Boo attire for so long.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Goten and trunks are basically ash ketchum now.

Character development is locked out.

Any real tension is locked out. Because we know how it ends. And Toriyama's tensipn build up is not what it was before.

Goten and trunks's child antiqus. Really get old. It was enough in buu saga. It's enough now. They had a decent change in later years as they were more normal than the average saiyan. They even dated and brought a fresher air in the series compared to goku and vegeta. (Yes. Yamcha dated. But he's no saiyan. Thats normal in human)

This means db super will most likely be a show where all it's characters are static and don't grow or develop in any way

Geez. Classic db seems it will have more development and balance than this... I hope I'm wrong. But well. Already lost full faith in toriyama by now. It seems like a curse. With my 2 favorite anime

Dbz's mangaka is at it again. But can't seem to write shit.

*notices this might be after 08 special and little faith had in this plummets to the ground*
Hunter x hunter's mangaka writes really well. Doesn't do shit.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking. If that ends up being Vegeta's outfit for Super, I'd be more than okay with it. Always found that no-sleeve, loose shirt to be pretty damn sexy c:
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Rukura wrote:Now we just need a taste of the soundtrack. Here's hoping Sumitomo grows half a brain and makes variations on the opening(s) and ending(s), the way Kikuchi did.
You speak as if he's never done this before. Both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F had an instrumental arrangement of their respective ending-themes playing in their final scenes, plus there was that Hero instrumental before Goku and Beerus's first battle. I'm sure we'll be getting some of that sooner or later. I'm just hoping the soundtrack will be more this and less this.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Black_Liger wrote:Hunter x hunter's mangaka writes really well. Doesn't do shit.
No he doesn't, most of HxH's arcs have terribly anticlimactic endings with some asspulls along the way. You have the occasional great arc and then you have the occasional mediocre or bad arc. Just like Dragon Ball. They're both very inconsistent writers ranging from brilliance to mediocrity. Not sure why the comparison between Toriyama and Togashi keeps coming up so often, Togashi is no God. Just because one arc of his focused on the psychological aspect of his characters, it doesn't mean Hunter x Hunter is suddenly a super different Shonen that doesn't follow the norm.

Sorry about the mini-rant, but these comparisons need to stop. Toriyama is Toriyama, he's different from everyone else.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Looks like I'm late to the reaction party. :cry:

Anyway, the teaser looks good for what it is, but I can't really say anything about the series until the episodes actually come out. However, there seems to be a considerable amount of negativity from people here. I see a lot of people complaining that it's pre-EoZ or that Goten and Trunks are still small. Well to me:
1. I could care less if it's pre-EoZ or post-EoZ. I don't see why it's a big deal.
2. I care even less about Goten and Trunks look. Goku and Krillin were small when they were 14.
3. I don't see how there can be so much negativity on a 15 second teaser. We should all reserve actual judgement when the episodes air.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Already replaced my wallpaper with a quick Super wallpaper made of the amazingly exciting screens we have so far.
Trunks and Goku are so stylish with those graphics and looks, and Goten has a certain nice flair too, with his good old costume with new graphics too!
But mostly the cool renewed Goku from 2008 (even though it will likely be EXTREMELY temporary) and most of all the amazingly charismatic Trunks, incredible look here, didn't expect him to be able to be so stylish!

The costumes really reflect how Trunks is the cool kid while Goten is more of the kiddy wise boy that will get dragged into trouble by his best friend!
It's always been like that, but with those specific costumes, I think it really represents them and their friendship well. The cool stylish kid and the nice smily innocent kid.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:Hunter x hunter's mangaka writes really well. Doesn't do shit.
No he doesn't, most of HxH's arcs have terribly anticlimactic endings with some asspulls along the way.
Thank you. Togashi's writing can be pretty crappy, and being different isn't always a good thing, especially if that means having the horrible anticlimactics resolutions that he loves or isn't smart enough to do better.

That is, WHEN he is writing. The man has zero respect for the fans.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:54 pm

I pondered that but the shirt and neck seem too far apart even if it does rise due to wind of the aura I can't see it looking how it does in the teaser.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't mind Trunks and Goten starting as Kids. I'd prefer if they aged as the show went on, getting new designs after a timeskip, but it won't hurt my enjoyment if they don't

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Rukura wrote:Now we just need a taste of the soundtrack. Here's hoping Sumitomo grows half a brain and makes variations on the opening(s) and ending(s), the way Kikuchi did.
You speak as if he's never done this before. Both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F had an instrumental arrangement of their respective ending-themes playing in their final scenes, plus there was that Hero instrumental before Goku and Beerus's first battle. I'm sure we'll be getting some of that sooner or later. I'm just hoping the soundtrack will be more this and less this.
I'm speaking as someone that hasn't watched 'F' yet and is coming off of being incredibly underwhelmed by his work in Kai.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that Mr. Satan keeps progressively getting smaller? :lol:

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Doctor. wrote:
No he doesn't, most of HxH's arcs have terribly anticlimactic endings with some asspulls along the way. You have the occasional great arc and then you have the occasional mediocre or bad arc. Just like Dragon Ball. They're both very inconsistent writers ranging from brilliance to mediocrity. Not sure why the comparison between Toriyama and Togashi keeps coming up so often, Togashi is no God. Just because one arc of his focused on the psychological aspect of his characters, it doesn't mean Hunter x Hunter is suddenly a super different Shonen that doesn't follow the norm.

Sorry about the mini-rant, but these comparisons need to stop. Toriyama is Toriyama, he's different from everyone else.
That was my personal hurting dialogue as to WHY MY FAVORITE SERIES HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLES WITH THEIR MANGAKA.

And yeah, anticlimatic, asspulls?. Fuck no. I understand it's not your thing though, and that's perfectly fine.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:15 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

That was my personal hurting dialogue as to WHY MY FAVORITE SERIES HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLES WITH THEIR MANGAKA.

And yeah, anticlimatic, asspulls?. Fuck no. I understand it's not your thing though, and that's perfectly fine.
Saying "it's not your thing" just because I dare throw out some criticism isn't an argument. I'm a big fan of Hunter x Hunter, I just don't think it's perfect like a majority of its fans do. If you'd like to continue this conversation via PM sure, because this is getting off-topic, I don't know why Togashi came up in the first place anyway.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:18 pm

sangofe wrote:
I wonder Who's directly behind Satan? Clearly its Buu but right behind him there is somebody in a white suit.
at least Gohan looks happy with his book there.
Chuquita wrote:Image
remember when Mr. Satan was like 7 feet tall and full of Muscles...
Black_Liger wrote:Goten and trunks are basically ash ketchum now. Character development is locked out.
why do you think that? They may not grow in height but Goten could easily develop into his own character. More or less he's always been Trunk's shadow following him around like a lost puppy. Hopefully Goten will get more of a personality than "Muh Toyes" and "Trunks, where to next?" I hope the same for Trunks. He should get some good character development as well. He can stay a selfish brat but I would like to see some change.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Saying "it's not your thing" just because I dare throw out some criticism isn't an argument. I'm a big fan of Hunter x Hunter, I just don't think it's perfect like a majority of its fans do. If you'd like to continue this conversation via PM sure, because this is getting off-topic, I don't know why Togashi came up in the first place anyway.
Oh, sorry, what I meant to say, is that maybe the type of story was not your thing as much as dbz, and that's perfectly fine with me, just had to throw in that I love that series so much and defend it lol. and yeah, let's leave it there cuz it's getting out of topic, if we commenced a conversation about hxh we'll never end (like hxh itself!) but there I added you as a friend :)

back to topic. I'm not happy with how super is turning out, Still ventilating, please bear with me, I'll calm down soon and make up with dbz and kiss.