"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Araki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:26 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Videl was Gohan's wife in Battle of Gods, so this seems to start off at least a little before that if Goten is about to be her brother-in-law. The question is whether it is also before the JSAT special or if they might be retconning it out of existence with this new version of those events? If they aren't doing a retcon, then I would guess this takes place after the JSAT special since the character designs are different. I'm not talking about clothes either, I mean things like Videl's hair.
Wait, now i'm confused. I didn't remember Videl was confirmed to be his wife in BoG.
Weird how the article mentions RoF but ignores BoG entirely - but it needs to go beyond that movie quickly if Whis and Beerus are joining the picture as regular characters. I wonder how they will handle that.

Anyway, i guess it still can't be before the ova. Oh well, manga scans or pictures should pop up anytime, maybe it's gonna clear up a few things.

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Post by SSJGFrieza » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 am

We're never ever going to go past EoZ are we?
Linda Young 4 lyfe

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:39 am

Araki wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:So... DB Super's first episode will be... Before that of even the 2008 OVA Special? Huh...
How's that? Despite the Majin Buu introduction, pretty much all the known plot elements so far (Beerus and Whis' presence, Goten after a gift for Videl) imply it's after the BoG events too, so it can't be set before the ova.

Maybe the "Buu" mention is just trying to connect it with Kai, as Super will succeed it.
It says in the description of Episode 1 that Chi Chi yells at him to get a job. Meaning that he hasn't become a Radish Farmer yet. Meaning, before Yo Son Goku. I'm sure Beerus won't appear until later episodes when we time skip.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:41 am

Araki wrote:
Wait, now i'm confused. I didn't remember Videl was confirmed to be his wife in BoG.
Chichi did call Videl Gohan's wife in BoG. But then again Trunks called Bulma Vegeta's "wife" in the Jinzoningen arc, too. It's weird how things work in DB universe. Hell, even Kuririn and 18 weren't married in the Boo arc despite Kuririn calling her his wife a few times.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:43 am

We'll just have to see. This is all assuming that ANN didn't botch the translations like they have been known to do via either just screwing up or having someone unfamiliar with the series translating because they are stretched too thin, thus lacking proper context for some stuff.
Avery wrote:
Araki wrote:Wait, now i'm confused. I didn't remember Videl was confirmed to be his wife in BoG.
Chichi did call Videl Gohan's wife in BoG. But then again Trunks called Bulma Vegeta's "wife" in the Jinzoningen arc, too. It's weird how things work in DB universe. Hell, even Kuririn and 18 weren't married in the Boo arc despite Kuririn calling her his wife a few times.
That could just be Trunks being polite Trunks, but 18 and Kuririn were married 4 years prior to Buu (AGE 770) according to Toriyama and Daizenshu #7.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:49 am

Hope they botched the translation, cause if this really takes place before F, then yeah everyone who's not the Super 4, remain irrelevant.Only 4 people in F were relevant. Though a time skip could change that eventually. If this really is the case, then now more than ever I hope there's a time skip at some point.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:01 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Hope they botched the translation, cause if this really takes place before F, then yeah everyone who's not the Super 4, remain irrelevant.Only 4 people in F were relevant. Though a time skip could change that eventually. If this really is the case, then now more than ever I hope there's a time skip at some point.
There almost certainly will be. Both narratively and commercially, it'd be madness to never go past F.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

ScholarGohan
Beyond Newbie

Post by ScholarGohan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:52 am

Chuquita wrote:Image
Hey there, VJump cover!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHnIB5JVAAAy5X_.jpg

VJump cover! batter quality

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This seems to get discussed like every page. The Buu Arc outfit is pretty much gone. The only reason he didn't have armor on in the first place during the arc is because the Tenkaichi Budokai didn't allow for it. If it had, said outfit likely wouldn't even exist.
Wasn't Bejita wearing that outfit before knowing that Goku will anticipate in the Tenkaichi Budokai?

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 am

First arc I'm fine with post BoG and Pre RoF.

But I think you really have to stop toying with everyone and give them something after EoZ

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:12 am

shinmaru wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This seems to get discussed like every page. The Buu Arc outfit is pretty much gone. The only reason he didn't have armor on in the first place during the arc is because the Tenkaichi Budokai didn't allow for it. If it had, said outfit likely wouldn't even exist.
Wasn't Bejita wearing that outfit before knowing that Goku will anticipate in the Tenkaichi Budokai?
No. He had a few different outfits in his down time and training, but none of them were the same as he wore throughout the bulk of the arc once we reached the tournament:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am

Oh dang... I expected post BoG but it seems this is pre BoG. I'm sure eventually there will be a timeskip (hopefully). I want some stories post RF! :problem:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 am

I think this is a really inaccurate way to phrase it. You make it sound as though he would have worn the armour during the manga's run if not for the Budokai rules.

I don't think that's true at all - he never wore armour in the Boo arc, so I feel it was just part of his ever changing outfit. And that's why I absolutely hate that it has returned and we're stuck with it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:35 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Oh dang... I expected post BoG but it seems this is pre BoG. I'm sure eventually there will be a timeskip (hopefully). I want some stories post RF! :problem:
Why do you think that it will take place before BOG? Beerus is shown to play a very serious role in the series and before BOG he has been sleeping. The fact that Goku is shown to be a radish farmer doesn't mean it must take place before Kami to Kami time, I can imagine Chi-chi to force Goku to continue doing the job. :P And maybe we will see how could he master the SSGSS transformation in the time skip to F. I personally hate the form(SSGSS) but it exist I can accept to get a reasoning how could Goku and Vegeta master that. I think Goku can tap some of the God power in his simple SSJ, but after realizing some weakness of it, he decided to ask Whis to train him and Vegeta to master his God powers. I'm looking forward the series as there is a big chance that will be about the DB multiverse.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:37 am

So more Goten and Trunks adventures? Awesome! Very fucking excited for it. But this seems to be before 2008 no? Chi Chi making Goku get a job and all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 am

Gonna wait for kanzenshuu translation. Still mostly certain we're in between movies, what with Beerus and Whis.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:50 am

I am hecka confused right now. I guess the Manga should leak any time now, right? Hopefully that gives us a straight answer where this takes place.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:53 am

Yeah, I see no reason to have this pre BOG if they're using Beerus (who would be asleep at the time) and Whis.
I can't trust ANN's transitions anymore.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:06 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
shinmaru wrote:
No. He had a few different outfits in his down time and training, but none of them were the same as he wore throughout the bulk of the arc once we reached the tournament:

You're right I watched this so many times, but I never noticed it before. He even has his outfit in his bag for the tournament. Thanks for clearing that up

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 am

TheGmGoken wrote:So more Goten and Trunks adventures? Awesome! Very fucking excited for it. But this seems to be before 2008 no? Chi Chi making Goku get a job and all.
Got the same hunch. Either way still excited :lol: Goten is adorable (wanting to get Videl a present and all)