Special One Piece and Dragonball Crossover in WSJ #4 - 5

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:A cool thought, but since Toei pretty much does the anime version for both One Piece & Dragon Ball, there's a pretty good chance this crossover might be animated with One Piece's popularity & Dragon Ball's solid DVD & video game sales over in Japan.
Hmm... now that's a thought.

Question is, if and when it does get animated, will it be able to come over to America, as well? I'm kinda guessing not, but it'd be great if it did (especially if FUNi manages to make a deal to pick up One Piece where 4Kids left off... but they have to do a better job with it, too! D: )
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:03 pm

.....or you could just download it. I'm pretty sure fansubbers will be all over this.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:.....or you could just download it. I'm pretty sure fansubbers will be all over this.
Eh, well, I guess that would be an alternative... >_>;

I'm still hoping that whoever recovers One Piece from 4Kids will be able to do a much better job, though. FUNi, given their track record with longer series, probably isn't my first choice, but it would definitely be better than what we have now.

[/off-topic] :lol:

Okay, then... any speculations as to what the parody might be about? At what point is the One Piece manga at over in Japan, anyway? o_O

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:34 pm

It's not over, nor it will be in a long time. Oda's crammed so much content into the story that it'll take almost forever to wrap it all up. As for the crossover, with the ingenious minds of Toriyama & Oda who knows what will happen. Toriyama being a great gag manga writer & Oda with his kooky sense of humor...just thinking about it...is hard to put in words.
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 pm

chibi_goten wrote:Does it get better
BrollysKin wrote:I hate One Piece
fps_anth wrote:I don't read/watch One Piece
Kula wrote:I'm just not into One Piece
I weep for you people. One Piece is a high. I simply do not get excited about any other manga, not the way I feel with One Piece. Sure, Berserk is up there, but it moves way too slowly. And while the current stuff with Nell in Bleach has me in stitches, it's still not quite at the level of OP.

So, maybe you just didn't read far enough. I mean, Chopper doesn't even show up until Volume 16, according to Wikipedia. Yeah, for sure, it gets better. But as far as I'm concerned, that's just like... weeding out the non-believers, or something. Those who couldn't stick with it have my pity.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:It's not over, nor it will be in a long time. Oda's crammed so much content into the story that it'll take almost forever to wrap it all up. As for the crossover, with the ingenious minds of Toriyama & Oda who knows what will happen. Toriyama being a great gag manga writer & Oda with his kooky sense of humor...just thinking about it...is hard to put in words.
That wasn't what I meant; I know One Piece is far from over. My question was, at what point in the story are Luffy and Co. at over there? (Like, what arc?)

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

landoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by landoku » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:14 pm

I Hope it has "Grown" Goten in it, He's my favorite. :)

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Zackarotto wrote:
chibi_goten wrote:Does it get better
BrollysKin wrote:I hate One Piece
fps_anth wrote:I don't read/watch One Piece
Kula wrote:I'm just not into One Piece
I weep for you people. One Piece is a high. I simply do not get excited about any other manga, not the way I feel with One Piece. Sure, Berserk is up there, but it moves way too slowly. And while the current stuff with Nell in Bleach has me in stitches, it's still not quite at the level of OP.

So, maybe you just didn't read far enough. I mean, Chopper doesn't even show up until Volume 16, according to Wikipedia. Yeah, for sure, it gets better. But as far as I'm concerned, that's just like... weeding out the non-believers, or something. Those who couldn't stick with it have my pity.
Oh man that is so true! I couldn't have put it better myself. :D
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:27 pm

One piece has a stupid story line, stupid characters and a reindeer. Not my cup of tea thank you.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:29 pm

BrollysKin wrote:One piece has a stupid story line, stupid characters and a reindeer. Not my cup of tea thank you.
Might wanna be careful who you say that around... :|

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:48 pm

The man can have his opinion. Keep in mind he is Broli's kin and Broli was probably the smartest character in all of anime, right? :P (j/k) Um, seeing how I hear One Piece is a lot like DragonBall, it would be nice to see the crossover take place around the time Goku just met Yamcha or Roshi or something.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:06 am

I never get sick of you guys. Like stated, it's just my opinion. I tried reading the manga but after the first 4 I just stopped. It was too fucking goofy. But you know what they say: What ever floats your kintoun.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:22 am

One Piece was a solid show until it became long and annoying like InuYasha. A little after the princess with blue hair joined the team, it just got boring.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 am

SuperFusion wrote:One Piece was a solid show until it became long and annoying like InuYasha. A little after the princess with blue hair joined the team, it just got boring.
Would that mean Dragon Ball is long & annoying? Hell over 500 episodes?.... But to each his own (& don't give me that Z, GT different series bull).

As to KinoFourPaws, they're just about finishing up the CP9 arc in the manga. The anime just recently started the CP9 Battles I believe.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:49 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Would that mean Dragon Ball is long & annoying? Hell over 500 episodes?.... But to each his own (& don't give me that Z, GT different series bull).

Honestly, YES. Dragon Ball Z DID get annoying at times. But it didn't thrive on one character's continuous stupidity in EACH episode.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:26 am

BrollysKin wrote: It was too Unicorning! goofy. But you know what they say: What ever floats your kintoun.
You think One Piece is goofy; try reading Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Agreed, though I do love Bobobo's style of humour from what little I've read.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Caracal wrote:Agreed, though I do love Bobobo's style of humour from what little I've read.
:D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:39 pm

BrollysKin wrote:I tried reading the manga but after the first 4 I just stopped.

It was too fucking goofy.
...then how would you know about the reindeer? He doesn't appear until volume 16/17. Unless someone has been spoiling the series for you I suppose.

I love OP's "goofiness". It gives it a unique identity amongst all the bland looking stuff like Bleach and Naruto. When you see Oda's work, you know it's Oda's work. I always get other series mixed up because they look the same.

But I digress; its time for me to get back on topic. :P

The Toriyama-Oda combo will be an awesome one. Both are great with their comedy and action. Their styles also would go well together. I imagine Oda had an orgasm when he was asked to do this. :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:12 pm

For the people that say they think One Piece is stupid or just plain don't like it, why are you even taking the time to post to this thread? Hey it's cool with me if it's not your thing, but I hardly see how you posting *just* to remark that you don't like it adds anything constructive to the thread. :? I'm not as heavily into the DB video games as other people are here, but you don't see me wasting my time and posting to a thread discussing news about just say, Super Butoden 3, just to say, "Well I really don't know what all the hype is about. I think this game is stupid."

Conversely, the OP fans who are putting down other series such as Bleach and Naruto aren't making themselves look any better. I get so tired of these stupid "back and forth, tit for tat" games that anime fans of various series play. It doesn't get anyone anywhere by slamming what the opposing person is into.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."