"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Champ is likely from another universe.
I agree. That was my assumption from the beginning.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:12 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Scott wrote:I want to get excited for this but i really can't.

It's taking place before EoZ, RoF AND BoG, i don't see the point in that to be honest. I also don't see the point in it being called Dragon Ball Super when it takes place in the Z timeline.

What we are basically getting is an extra 100 episodes ( or around 100 episodes ) of Dragon Ball Z. The only difference is that we know how this will end unless Toriyama completely removes the ending of Z. Something i don't think he will do and something i hope he doesn't do.

I can't see it going beyond the end of Z either, this show is all going to take place in the gap between Kid Buu's death and the EoZ.

It's a big disappointment but i'm sure it will still be an enjoyable show, it is still Dragon Ball.
I find it funny that before the trailer was released people couldn't imagine it being before EoZ, and now that we know it's before EoZ, they can't imagine it going past EoZ. It's a weekly, on-going series that's going to have at least 100 episodes, there is plenty of room to cover both time periods.
Plenty of people could imagine it taking place before EoZ, plenty of people actually said it would take place before EoZ.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Champ is likely from another universe. I guess he could arrive to the main universe to find Beerus and Whis, Goku and Beerus must team up to stop him. I doubt he will be killed off since he will likely just retreat back to wherever he came from.
Yep, I think so too. If they are going after a retelling of BoG and RoF he could easily be mentioned during those events and finally make an appearance after Whis rewinds time to save Earth. He could come to scold Beerus saying he is neglecting his duties as God of Destruction and he must "set things right" or even take over this universe's responsibility.

He might see the Dragon Balls as a threat too to their godly work (used to restore planets) and attempt to get rid of them.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Seeing the trend of recent DBZ stuff, Champa's purpose will be to mock Beerus and do his job better. I don't expect any intricate plots involving universal balance, fears of the dragon balls, or anything like that. Just a grouchy cat who likes to antagonize his equal, and consequently crosses paths with Goku and pals.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Herms wrote:
Zombie wrote:So going by those pictures Vegeta, Piccolo and Krillin are main characters and the rest are supporting characters?
Goku's introduced in Visual 1 as "our mightiest battle hero", then Visual 2 introduces Vegeta, Piccolo, and Kuririn as "super-reliable warriors of Earth", while Visual 3 introduces Goten/Trunks/Gohan/Videl/Chi Chi/Bulma/Boo/Satan as the "Dragon Family, tied together by strong bonds". Finally, Visual 4 introduces Beerus/Whis/Champa/? as "gods hiding secrets, and...who!?". The caption says everyone should already be familiar with Beerus and Whis, but then wonders who the characters across from them are. So Champa and ? are presumably the "who!?", making it sound like both Beerus and Whis are "gods hiding secrets" (I guess Whis counts as a god? Seems like different sources imply different things on this).
Thanks a bunch.

Man, this is so hype!

Abel Taylor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abel Taylor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:49 pm

I like that Krillin, Piccolo and Vegeta are the "super-reliable warriors". Krillin's moving up in the ranks, and I'd say Piccolo is too, considering he probably couldn't rival Vegeta in the Majin Buu Saga.
Hi! My name's Abel, and I'm pretty awesome.
VegettoEX wrote: Abel is pretty awesome.
SaiyaJedi wrote: Abel is the best contributor to this forum ever! He's the true Julian #1
Herms wrote: Abel is so awesome that I forgot how to speak Japanese.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:52 pm

Abel Taylor wrote:I like that Krillin, Piccolo and Vegeta are the "super-reliable warriors". Krillin's moving up in the ranks, and I'd say Piccolo is too, considering he probably couldn't rival Vegeta in the Majin Buu Saga.
They're the only 3 besides Goku that actually fight. Everyone else are slackers.

Abel Taylor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abel Taylor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:54 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Abel Taylor wrote:I like that Krillin, Piccolo and Vegeta are the "super-reliable warriors". Krillin's moving up in the ranks, and I'd say Piccolo is too, considering he probably couldn't rival Vegeta in the Majin Buu Saga.
They're the only 3 besides Goku that actually fight. Everyone else are slackers.
Still, it makes it seem like they will be more than just side characters in the new series. Also, I haven't seen Yamcha or Tien in there. Yamcha I don't care for, but Tien is pretty cool.
Hi! My name's Abel, and I'm pretty awesome.
VegettoEX wrote: Abel is pretty awesome.
SaiyaJedi wrote: Abel is the best contributor to this forum ever! He's the true Julian #1
Herms wrote: Abel is so awesome that I forgot how to speak Japanese.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:00 pm

If Super doesn't have much Gohan in it thats okay, as long as they don't make him fodder.

I do hope there are some good Trunks/Goten moments in super, first super chapter was pretty cute with Goten i hope that will happen more.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Regarding Super Saiyan 3:

If this is going to be set Pre-Battle of Gods, then surely it's logical to assume that Goku would use the form, as, after all, it would still represent the apex of his powers - as was demonstrated when he used it to fight Beerus on Kaio's world.

Regarding Gohan being a Super Saiyan:

By the same logic, if Super is pre-Battle of Gods, then Gohan's 'Ultimate' form should represent his highest level of power. Even though his use of the form was blatantly shoe-horned into Battle of Gods due to a Twitter backlash, the very act of doing so could only be taken as an affirmation on Toei's part that by the start of the film at least, he was stronger in that form than as a Super Saiyan.

Therefore, to ignore that completely in Super (if it is all set pre-Battle of Gods) would be utterly nonsensical - and worst of all, would bring back that fucking debate. Again. :sick:
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 pm

-About the timeline-
Where does Super takes place exactly after Buu?!

I already read two different translations of chapter 1 and both say "Shortly after Buu". 4 Years later is by no means short, at least to me.
The summary for super says "The story of the anime is set a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu". But, does it start years later right away?! And how many?!

OVA 2008 Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - takes places 2 years later
BOG - takes place 4 years later.

- Goku has his farmer outfit from OVA 2008 (doesn't mean we can't use it again though).
- Satan wants Goku to have the 100 million zenny peace prize he received for beating Buu. Took it 4 years to receive the prize and decide to give it to Goku?! Don't think so!

Beerus and Whis scene can fit in after his awakening. But doesn't change the fact that is retteling BOG. So the question is, did he awake sooner?! Instead of 4 years, this may just be taking place 2 years after Buu?! Maybe just some weeks/months after, because of Satan scene.

Sure, they uploaded BOG character design sheets, but that's doesn't mean the events timeline didn't change. And BOG designs still work for the matter anyway.
They want to avoid reaching EOZ and have more material to work with. Keep Goten and Trunks kids forever. So this seems plausible.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:35 pm

Blade wrote:Regarding Gohan being a Super Saiyan:

By the same logic, if Super is pre-Battle of Gods, then Gohan's 'Ultimate' form should represent his highest level of power. Even though his use of the form was blatantly shoe-horned into Battle of Gods due to a Twitter backlash, the very act of doing so could only be taken as an affirmation on Toei's part that by the start of the film at least, he was stronger in that form than as a Super Saiyan.

Therefore, to ignore that completely in Super (if it is all set pre-Battle of Gods) would be utterly nonsensical - and worst of all, would bring back that fucking debate. Again. :sick:
Yuusuke Watanabe said otherwise and his word should be above rumors, imo...

Let's see how they handle Gohan's powers. Thankfully, they have more time to give us more information than just a throwaway statement.
FortuneSSJ wrote:-About the timeline-
Where does Super takes place exactly after Buu?!

I already read two different translations of chapter 1 and both say "Shortly after Buu". 4 Years later is by no means short, at least to me.
The summary for super says "The story of the anime is set a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu". But, does it start years later right away?! And how many?!

OVA 2008 Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! - takes places 2 years later
BOG - takes place 4 years later.

- Goku has his farmer outfit from OVA 2008 (doesn't mean we can't use it again though).
- Satan wants Goku to have the 100 million zenny peace prize he received for beating Buu. Took it 4 years to receive the prize and decide to give it to Goku?! Don't think so!

Beerus and Whis scene can fit in after his awakening. But doesn't change the fact that is retteling BOG. So the question is, did he awake sooner?! Instead of 4 years, this may just be taking place 2 years after Buu?! Maybe just some weeks/months after because of Satan scene.

Sure, they uploaded BOG character design sheets, but that's doesn't mean the events timeline didn't change. And BOG designs still work for the matter anyway.
They want to avoid reaching EOZ and have more material to work it. Keep Goten and Trunks kids forever. So this seems plausible.
If Beers awoke earlier than in Kami to Kami could that still fit the 39 years of sleep? I remember there being some inconsistencies with dates when the movie premiered, which were more or less fixed with Minus having Goku being around three years old when sent to Earth.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm

alakazam^ wrote: Yuusuke Watanabe said otherwise and his word should be above rumors, imo...
If I recall correctly, he only ever said that he always intended Gohan to use his Ultimate form during that particular fight, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was stipulated in the script outright. Whilst details such as forms and specific motions of fight choreography may be very important to fans of the material or present in fan-fiction depictions, in actual scripts, more often than not, that sort of specific detail isn't included, and is left to the prerogative of the director and animation team.

Moreover, Watanabe has nothing to do with Super or how Toei are choosing to handle it. What was clear from the Battle od Gods debacle is that Toei did recolour Gohan as a result of the Twitter backlash, and that even if it was merely a mistake on the behalf of their animation team, Gohan using Super Saiyan in those promotional shots managed to get through a number of official channels without any raised eyebrows.

Although it is hard to believe sometimes, Toei are actually very considered in what they choose to release in promotional material. It just so happens that the people that they pay to be responsible for the job are terrible at it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Blade wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: Yuusuke Watanabe said otherwise and his word should be above rumors, imo...
If I recall correctly, he only ever said that he always intended Gohan to use his Ultimate form during that particular fight, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was stipulated in the script outright. Whilst details such as forms and specific motions of fight choreography may be very important to fans of the material or present in fan-fiction depictions, in actual scripts, more often than not, that sort of specific detail isn't included, and is left to the prerogative of the director and animation team.

Moreover, Watanabe has nothing to do with Super or how Toei are choosing to handle it. What was clear from the Battle od Gods debacle is that Toei did recolour Gohan as a result of the Twitter backlash, and that even if it was merely a mistake on the behalf of their animation team, Gohan using Super Saiyan in those promotional shots managed to get through a number of official channels without any raised eyebrows.

Although it is hard to believe sometimes, Toei are actually very considered in what they choose to release in promotional material. It just so happens that the people that they pay to be responsible for the job are terrible at it.
He actually said Gohan wasn't a Super Saiyan in the movie. Here's the quote:
脚本家のほうの渡辺雄介 (@yuusukewatanabe)

@Peter_smit4 あ、あとネタバレになるので、あれなんですが本編では悟飯、スーパーサイヤ人になってませんよ! ぜひ映画本編でご確認ください! よろしくお願いします!

--------

Yūsuke Watanabe the Scriptwriter (@yuusukewatanabe)

@Peter_smit4 Oh, and also, this is a spoiler, so it’s kind of “that” [i.e., not appropriate for me to be telling you], but in the movie proper, Gohan isn’t a Super Saiyan! By all means, please do check it out in the actual movie!
While Gohan did go Super Saiyan during the ritual, it wasn't a battle scene so I think it's safe to say it might have been an animator's choice while in the script proper he wouldn't turn Super Saiyan in any other occasion.

I disagree with the notion that they changed him due to fans' complaints based on this quote. We obviously have several scenes depicting him in both forms but, had we not seen him in Super Saiyan first, would we think he was recolored? There's no way we would think that based on how the scenes were created. The one example that seemed to point that way was when he faintly glowed when powering up, but that could be him "turning" Ultimate, like he did in Movie 13. We can't know whether they made a mistake or changed things for marketing purposes but we still have an official quote from the scriptwriter regarding this issue.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Would you have liked Goten to have his Neko Majin Z design in Super?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Characters can change clothes and the hair is just his End of Z design (in Toriyama art style at the time). So had Super taken place in a year where Goten and Trunks were grown up, something like that is what I would have expected.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Would you have liked Goten to have his Neko Majin Z design in Super?
not really. I really don't care any of Goten's hair styles besides the goku one.

GT:looks bad imo.
EOZ:if he didn't have a shirt that said "Goten" on it i probably would have thought he was a different person.
Neko Majin: Not my cup of tea.

I do want to see Goten get his own hair style, but eh Super looks like its Goku hair for the time being.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Abel Taylor wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: Still, it makes it seem like they will be more than just side characters in the new series. Also, I haven't seen Yamcha or Tenshinhan in there. Yamcha I don't care for, but Tenshinhan is pretty cool.
I want Yamcha and Tenshinhan to still be as big role as Kuririn at least, I don't want them to become two-second cameos like in GT.
I even would like to hear Tohru Furuya and Hikaru Midorikawa play them again.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Chuquita wrote:Golf means no precure this week because it's using precure's timeslot and I think the slots of the two shows that air before it.
I think it affected Super Sentai last year, but most of the time the June golf preemption only affects Kamen Rider and Precure. And it's just Drive and GoPri this year too.

But luckily for us, that's a TV Asahi problem, and Dragon Ball airs on Fuji TV.
-Rachel

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Krillin as the main fighters sounds amazing to me.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."