"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:40 pm

It's only a problem to me if we end up getting new TV adaptations of the films and they end up being really inferior versions in terms of story (animation will almost certainly be, so not counting it).

Also if the new adaptations end up with horrible, drawn out pacing and take up the bulk of the series. So, for example, if we really do end up getting 100 episodes and both films adaptation ends up being like 40 episodes each. I'm looking forward to Super for new material, not an entire series of rehashing...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:48 pm

After reading the manga chapter, it seems like the first few episodes will take between before BOG, after BOG and ROF then later after ROF. It's fine by me, but I do wish we would see how Pilaf and his gang become kids. When they wish with the Dragon Balls, they would have two or three wishes. So someone would have stop them from getting their second wish.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:15 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's only a problem to me if we end up getting new TV adaptations of the films and they end up being really inferior versions in terms of story (animation will almost certainly be, so not counting it).

Also if the new adaptations end up with horrible, drawn out pacing and take up the bulk of the series. So, for example, if we really do end up getting 100 episodes and both films adaptation ends up being like 40 episodes each. I'm looking forward to Super for new material, not an entire series of rehashing...
I seriously doubt they'll turn each film into forty episodes, not without some major rewrites that would actually warrant such lengths. Six episodes for an 'introduction to Beers and Whis' arc and 'Freeza returns' arc would work, especially if the former focused on Gohan and Videl's wedding antics and the latter the training of Freeza and the characters in anticipation of his return.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:17 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's only a problem to me if we end up getting new TV adaptations of the films and they end up being really inferior versions in terms of story (animation will almost certainly be, so not counting it).
nope, I also dont like the idea, but I'm waiting for the reveal, maybe a few episodes before saying this will be a retelling of the movies...
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:31 am

I don't want to lose smoothly-animated breakdancing-Beerus. :cry:
That's going to happen if we're redoing the whole thing.

Well, if we have to redo BOG and F in extended TV versions, *starts making a list of what she'd want to see expanded on*:

BOG:
-Bulma's decision to throw herself a party, Vegeta's decision to not bother going because training, Bulma telling Gokû not to forget the day of her party.
-what Bulma's birthday cake looks like
-Piccolo's singing on stage animated with movement and sound
-whatever scenes all those discarded Vegeta reaction-faces in the mook were from
-Gokû sneaking around and watching Vegeta's BINGO dance from afar
-actually show Gokû transforming into ssjg the first time he does it (instead of shooting form an angle hundreds of feet away for some reason). Bonus points for if the transformation sequence parodies magical girl transformations.

F:
-Vegeta making Gokû take him with him to Beerus' and Whis' planet
-What Gokû and Vegeta's living accommodations on Beerus' and Whis' planet look like (I'm head-canoning "bunk-beds" until proven otherwise).
-Freeza's training montage. Bonus points for any Rocky reference.
-where are Goten and Trunks? Do they look any older? We never found this out. (Mai and Marron as examples elude that they didn't, but...?)
-what happens at the end? Do Gokû and Vegeta head back to train some more? Do they stay on Earth? Does Beerus go back to bed immediately after all this is over?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:31 am

JulieYBM wrote:I seriously doubt they'll turn each film into forty episodes, not without some major rewrites that would actually warrant such lengths. Six episodes for an 'introduction to Beers and Whis' arc and 'Freeza returns' arc would work, especially if the former focused on Gohan and Videl's wedding antics and the latter the training of Freeza and the characters in anticipation of his return.
I would probably be happy if we could get through them both in about 20 episodes, give or take. That seems like a nice number for pacing with me. Both movies, if directly adapted as they are now, would already be about 10 episodes. So the extra 10 would give them a little breathing room on TV pacing, as well as space for extra fluff/support material (like Goten and Goku's antics in the chapter, Freeza's training, perhaps more Goku and Vegeta training for SSGSS or just Vegeta as SSG) and room for potential set ups for things like Champa to be woven in even though they didn't exist in the original

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:34 am

Even twenty episodes is probably too much. The first chapter of the comic reads like a third of an episode, six or seven minutes, not a full twenty.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:39 am

But we also know that the first episode contains more new content that's not from Battle of Gods or the manga, because Trunks and Goten go searching for the present to give to Videl. If the first two episodes were purely setup material like this, and then we chop up BOG to add another 5 just for the sake of this example, and then maybe an episode or two to work on the TV version's pacing or to splice in stuff that got cut from Toriyama's original script, then we're already at 9. I'd say it could work.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:50 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't want to lose smoothly-animated breakdancing-Beerus. :cry:
That's going to happen if we're redoing the whole thing.
We wont lose it or be less relevant either :)
Atleast I wont take as it didnt happen if we get a retelling in Super (I'm still hoping that it will just expand the story of the movies without making them irrelevant)
Chuquita wrote: -What Gokû and Vegeta's living accommodations on Beerus' and Whis' planet look like (I'm head-canoning "bunk-beds" until proven otherwise).
for what I could get, they just went to Beerus' planet, gave food to Whis, Whis trained them for some time, and then they left for multiple times...
Apparently they contacted Whis the same way Bulma did with the strawberry sundae.
Last edited by Beerus-sama on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:52 am

I was really hoping these episodes would compliment the recent movies, not replace them. Granted, we still know absolutely nothing, and it's vital that we not jump to conclusions. But if what everybody's speculating turns out to be true, I'll be a little sad.

If they want to keep these stories within the time period before the epilogue, that's fine. But is it really that difficult to not contradict the movies? What's to gain? It's like they've gone from "Nah, we're pretty neutral about continuity" to "Hey, let's actively work against continuity."
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:14 am

MagicBox wrote:If they want to keep these stories within the time period before the epilogue, that's fine. But is it really that difficult to not contradict the movies?
As people have said, if they just skipped the movies or started after RoF, that would alienate a good portion of the audience immediately, as tv and cinema are different media. If they're doing a retelling, then i think they do need to go all out, not binding themselves to a movie. It would be hard to add depth to the stories while remaining 100% faithful to the movie events (not to mention it would be just a rehash with inferior animation).

I don't see the problem, anyway. The movies always existed in a separate universe, unless they were pulling BS like bringing back Garlic Jr, or Koola in GT.
And it's not like the movies will stop existing. One Piece had many arcs redone in movie format, that never made the episodes obsolete. People will watch or prefer whatever they want.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:32 am

So I just read an English translation of the manga, and if it's correct, it says after the Majin Buu recap "Since then, the days and months slowly passed on by", which means it could be taking place just before BoG like I thought, not immediately after the battle with Buu like some people seem to think, and the events fit in seamlessly with the movie.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:55 am

JulieYBM wrote:Even twenty episodes is probably too much. The first chapter of the comic reads like a third of an episode, six or seven minutes, not a full twenty.
You've read it? I remember it coming out today (11:58 pm), but not seeing it anywhere. How was it?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:14 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Perhaps the episode itself jumps. Perhaps that scene with Beerus and Whis, in the episode itself, takes place after the scene with Goku on the farm. We can't make judgement calls just yet on this manga.
Exactly. This series is building up on the success of BoG and RoF (mostly BoG since it was probably in development before the last movie), it doesn't make sense and there's no evidence or valid reason to presume it will be discarded/ignored/rewritten. Specially when they're using characters introduced in BoG as a starting point.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 am

The reason I think their re-writing the BoG is because in the manga Beerus is awake not long after Buu was defeated but in the movie he has been asleep since before planet Vegeta was destroyed and only awakens because he'd asked to be.

Thats a rather big continuity error to start the series on if they aren't re-writing the movies.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:08 am

Toriyama can't even keep continuity with something he wrote a few months ago.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:16 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Toriyama can't even keep continuity with something he wrote a few months ago.
Did it occur to you that Toriyama wrote what's coming now, and that others shortened that down?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:41 am

I hope Champa dose tern out to be a God of Destruction. Beerus is so care free and arrogant it would be interesting to see how he reacts around a superior destroyer. I dont count Whis since while he's stronger then Beerus, he is more of a caretaker/teacher then an actually superior. If Champa is a God of Destruction who could destroy Beerus if he chose too so Beerus would have to mind his manners for once.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:44 am

You know what, I don't really mind a BOG rewrite if that's what's happening. I think what Toriyama might do is instead of Bulmas birthday party, we get Gohan and Videls wedding crashed by Beerus and Whis. I could just imagine the whole crew in suits and dresses fighting Beerus. If this happens, all will be forgiven. And hey it might be an improvement over BOG because it has more room to breathe, being an anime and all. (Oh god, I just thought of Goku giving a toast to Gohan with a chicken leg....I'm going into fanfiction land.)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 am

MajinMan wrote:You know what, I don't really mind a BOG rewrite of that's what is happening. I think what Toriyama might do is instead of Bulmas birthday party, we get Gohan and Videls wedding crashed by Beerus and Whis. I could just imagine the whole crew in suits and dresses fighting Beerus.
That sounds like a wonderful idea. :thumbup: