Exporting with VDMod

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Exporting with VDMod

Post by Eclipse » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 am

Eh, I've got this problem. I'm using Sony Vegas 6, and it doesn't import DivX clips. So I opened some of these in VirtualDubMod and figured out how to export them as AVI's. I set the output mode to Full Processing Mode since it was the only one that actually worked. But when it was done, the clip I saved was a whopping 790 megabytes - far different from the 5.90 megabyte clip I was using before. And all the while the same in quality.

I downloaded some codecs (Lagarith and HuffYUV) and fiddled around with the settings, but I'm getting nowhere. How can I save this clips so they can have as much quality as possible while not taking up much space?

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:38 am

That's quite a problem. You want to edit with top-notch quality while having them low in space. I don't think that's possible. Huffyuv uses a loseless codec which is why the file is coming out to be so large. Maybe you could try getting the best out of an Adobe Premiere trial? That edits with DivX files but it's hella slow. But in all honestly, I'd say you take a look at your hard drive, determine how much space you're willing to spare to your clips, and start making small ity-bitty clips of the scenes you really need from these clips, then encode a lower subpar quality version which doesn't take up much space and you use it to edit with (I recommend this since Huffyuv lags too), then you switch the files at the end of editing by removing the subpar quality ones, and a pop-up should come up asking you to locate the files, the higher quality files which you named to be the same as the subpar ones you select, export, and that'll be good... But I haven't checked around the AMV forums in a while, so my method may have become "out dated" by their means... Hope that helps.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:46 am

Do you have the AMVapp installed? If so, you can just script a pointer to the DivX files a la:

AVISource("C:/folder/file.avi")

And save it as the same filename *.avs or something. Open that up in Premiere, and you'll be good. You can even do some resizing and cleaning in the script to make it look a little better.

Of course, there's no reason why you should be editing with DivX files, in the first place...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Do you have the AMVapp installed? If so, you can just script a pointer to the DivX files a la:

AVISource("C:/folder/file.avi")

And save it as the same filename *.avs or something. Open that up in Premiere, and you'll be good. You can even do some resizing and cleaning in the script to make it look a little better.

Of course, there's no reason why you should be editing with DivX files, in the first place...
I don't have a DVD drive at this moment (I'm planning on buying one), so right now I'm using clips from DBArena.

And it's still not working. I wrote the script with those words you mentioned above, saved as .avs and opened the AVI in Vegas (I'm not using Premiere), and it still won't let me import the clip.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:32 am

Vegas won't open it. I don't know of a specific plug-in for Vegas that can interpret AVS scripts/files. There may be one, but I'm not aware of one.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:44 am

VegettoEX wrote:Vegas won't open it. I don't know of a specific plug-in for Vegas that can interpret AVS scripts/files. There may be one, but I'm not aware of one.
I understand that, and that was not my original intention. I figured that would happen, so I decided to export the clip with VirtualDubMod and another codec so that it would lose whatever 'DivX-ness' it had (I'm no technowizard, so I can't say the correct term). Here, I'll quote myself again..
Eclipse wrote:Eh, I've got this problem. I'm using Sony Vegas 6, and it doesn't import DivX clips. So I opened some of these in VirtualDubMod and figured out how to export them as AVI's. I set the output mode to Full Processing Mode since it was the only one that actually worked. But when it was done, the clip I saved was a whopping 790 megabytes - far different from the 5.90 megabyte clip I was using before. And all the while the same in quality.

I downloaded some codecs (Lagarith and HuffYUV) and fiddled around with the settings, but I'm getting nowhere. How can I save this clips so they can have as much quality as possible while not taking up much space?
So yeah. That was what I wanted to know. Not how Vegas or Premiere can open DivX clips.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:01 am

Well then I'm not sure what exactly you want to know. If you're not asking about how to import DivX files into your editing software, then all I see is you saying "how can I compress my ALREADY compressed files to a smaller size while keeping the current quality" which I believe is going to be impossible since, if i'm not mistaken, DBArena had started compressing their clips into X-vid (i'm not up-to-date with that, though, it's been about a year or two since I've downloaded clips) and X-vid is pretty much the compression shit right now. But I hear this h.264 codec is an even better compressor but whether or not it'll keep your quality up to snuff is beyond me since I've never touched it.

You can always try .WMV..?

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:05 am

Oh no. I was trying to say, what kind of codec in VirtualDub should I use that will keep my quality and file size somewhat the same? Becuase I used 'uncompressed RGB' and I got 790 megabytes. I just tried HuffYUV, and I have around 100 megabytes. All for a 10 second clip.

So yeah. I wanna know how to export clips that have overall good quality and don't have a huge file size. I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer earlier :x

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:10 am

Well I'll tell you now that it's highly unlikely that you'll find a codec that can make a compressed file even smaller while maintaining the quality. But I just want to know why you would want to recompress a compressed file which is only 10 seconds? The filesize can't be that huge.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:19 pm

SuperFusion wrote:Well I'll tell you now that it's highly unlikely that you'll find a codec that can make a compressed file even smaller while maintaining the quality. But I just want to know why you would want to recompress a compressed file which is only 10 seconds? The filesize can't be that huge.
Nah, it's when I export it in VDMod when it gets huge. I just want to export it so it doesn't have as huge a filesize as usual.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:12 pm

You don't seem to grasp this.

You cannot export something with good quality that you can ALSO edit with AND have a small filesize. It just doesn't work that way.

DivX/XviD are meant for playback. They do not contain all the necessary keyframe information to accurately edit with. This is what makes them play back nice and well at a compressed size... the computer just needs to play from the beginning, and let it play out.

Not with editing. You need something where every single frame is a keyframe (say, a HuffyUV file) so the editing software knows where everything is the instant you scrub over to it.

This is why editing DivX/XviD files in any kind of editing software is so laggy at times.

Long story short, either buy the DVDs you want to work with and edit with whatever codec on the planet you want to edit with after ripping it... buy a bigger hard-drive... don't edit... I dunno, you've got LOTS of options!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:48 pm

All right then. I think it's making a bit of sense then =P I'm sorry I caused confusion and some annoyance.
Long story short, either buy the DVDs you want to work with and edit with whatever codec on the planet you want to edit with after ripping it... buy a bigger hard-drive... don't edit... I dunno, you've got LOTS of options!
I'll probably have to buy a hard drive once I get the DVD drive anyways. So that's all right ^.^