What's your opinion on the new characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's your opinion on the new characters?

Post by B » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 pm

My headcanon is that Tarble and Gure stop by Capsule Corp. now and again and are abused by the Brief family, but they're so mild-mannered they just take it. So in that respect, I like them. I don't think we really have anybody else like that. Most of the other characters are loud and animated.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 am

Basaku wrote:Everyone else's been covered already so I will just say I like Tarble a lot, dun care if everyone else hates him
I don't hate Tarble, but he was given so little focus, why I didn't mention him. We didn't even see him fighting.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:05 am

I don't hate Tarble. I hate what he represents, which is everything wrong with modern DBZ.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:08 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I don't hate Tarble. I hate what he represents, which is everything wrong with modern DBZ.
Tarble's never in Z.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:41 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:I don't hate Tarble. I hate what he represents, which is everything wrong with modern DBZ.
What does he represent?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 am

Beerus is okay, I guess but he does not even look like a Dragon Ball character to me. Whis is the one I really like.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:00 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Tarble's never in Z.
Heh...never noticed the title of that OVA didn't have Dragon Ball Z in it. :think:
Doctor. wrote:
What does he represent?
He's married to a cutesy creature. His existence is an asspull. His nature conflicts with the excessive machismo, masculinity, and killer instinct previously established of the saiyan race. He is the brother of Vegeta, but unlike another certain mystery relative, he's a punk who can't hold his own and hates to fight. He's a new saiyan, but rather than bring bravado, he brings light-heartedness.

He's everything I hate about modern DBZ rolled into one character. I see him as, basically, the opposite of Broly, who has also been stated to represent everything wrong with DBZ, only in the eyes of certain fans.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:05 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Tarble's never in Z.
Heh...never noticed the title of that OVA didn't have Dragon Ball Z in it. :think:
Doctor. wrote:
What does he represent?
He's married to a cutesy creature. His existence is an asspull. His nature conflicts with the excessive machismo, masculinity, and killer instinct previously established of the saiyan race. He is the brother of Vegeta, but unlike another certain mystery relative, he's a punk who can't hold his own and hates to fight. He's a new saiyan, but rather than bring bravado, he brings light-heartedness.

He's everything I hate about modern DBZ rolled into one character. I see him as, basically, the opposite of Broly, who has also been stated to represent everything wrong with DBZ, only in the eyes of certain fans.
Seems to me like he's every subversion you can think for Dragon Ball rolled into one.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 am

They have been doing this since Buu hatched out of that damn egg.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I thought Tarble was a very one-note character, it doesn't help that he even looks like Vegeta, he has like one "ha ha he's a weakling" joke about him and immediately wears out his usefulness. With his wife they could have done something more than just a blob design (again, a one-note joke character that immediately becomes irrelevant) Abo & Cado were just there one moment and then gone the next and that was it, it was so boring to be honest.

But with Battle of Gods you can just tell that Toriyama cared a lot more about the story, and Beerus and Whiss are excellent outcomes from this, Beerus is a great villian because he's not really a villian, he just has very few morals and blowing up planets is his whole job description, yet he demands so much authority and the interest he takes in Goku made him feel like such a different villain to any other encountered in the story. Whiss was entertaining with his scenes of having to take care of Beerus with a cross between the two being friends and Whiss being Beerus's nanny having to knock him out when he gets out of control.

I read the Jaco manga after I brought it with me on holiday last week, knocked out the whole book in a day and I really like it, I think Jaco has a lot of potential to add yet more variety to the Dragon Ball cast, I just wish he got used like this more because at the end of the day not a lot actually happens in the manga he appears in, and even though it does work to the manga's credit because we find out a lot about Jaco, Omori and Tights that way, it still means that Jaco's character feels incomplete and from what I've heard about Resurrection F he just kind of shows up and has a few jokes which is nice but I want them to focus on his personality of 'constantly wanting to look as cool as possible'. (I do love the bit in the movie trailer where he slides across the ground and shoots at enemies to look cool because that's totally what he would do). Omori is an interesting one because he plays off Jaco as the straight man quite well, in fact if Jaco shows up in Super I would love to see Omori with him and the whole story about what happened to his wife is surprisingly grown up from what we all expect of Toriyama. Tights is a character with potential just like Jaco and Omori, I want to see more of her life and how she lives it in a free spirited way, I'm hoping in fact that the whole trio shows up in Super, hell give them a whole series, it would be a really unique premise to have a spin off that only has a few ties to the main story.

The other characters in Jaco were all pretty good, if they did a full series they could expand on them which would actually work quite well.

BearFrog

Post by BearFrog » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:09 pm

I haven't played Xenoverse yet, so I don't have room to comment on the characters.

Tarble is kinda lame and doesn't really add anything to the universe of DBZ and definitely seems like a filler character that you can easily ignore.

Beerus and Whis are quality, classic DBZ characters. They're well developed and have great character designs and personalities. I consider them up there with the likes of Mr. Satan and Cell: classic characters. It's hard to imagine the DBZ universe without them at this point.

Jaco's cool. He's a filler character like Tarble, but he's actually entertaining so I would be okay with seeing more of him.

Golden Frieza is cool too, as are the new Super Saiyan forms. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the new stuff.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:07 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:They have been doing this since Buu hatched out of that damn egg.
The self-serious (sort of) nature of Dragon Ball from the Saiyan arc to the Cell arc is really a blip on the radar in terms of the series' lifespan, though. What you're complaining about with "modern" DB is basically what it always was.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Towa and Mira are an interesting pair...but really it's Towa and her abilities/history. Mira is pretty bland honestly.

Demigra as said above is hammy that I gotta like em, but he's pretty forgettable as a character.

I like Kaioshin of Time. She's better than the other Kaioshin except Elder Kaioshin...so really she's just better than Kaioshin and Kibito.

Jaco is awesome and I hope he does stick around. He's funny and a character who doesn't have to rely on shit overused jokes to be funny. Looking at you Chi Chi and Muten Roshi.

Beerus is a character who makes me think of early Vegeta. I want to see someone beat the holy hell out of him because of how much of a brat he is. He's a dick that someone needs to put down, which I fear may never happen. He might be a creators pet. Considering what he's seemingly based on, it wouldn't be surprising.

Whis is a character that's far more intriguing to me. He's a character who also is selfish like Beerus, but not as much of a douchebag. He's the kind of guy I'd rather be the God of Destruction, with Beerus being like some tough body guard or student. He has some bizarre abilities and god like qualities, and he could lead to so many things.

Tarble is bleh. A dumb insert character reminiscent of the other people who make Vegeta's brother. He adds nothing to the series.

Gine is the same. Adds nothing to series and seems to only exist to answer the question of who Goku's mom is. Honestly after finding out the result, I'd have rathered it never have been answered.

Shisami, Tagoma, and Sorbet are not really characters. They're just tools for the plot.

Awaiting Fat Beerus and Fem Whis, but I don't have my hopes up for them.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:21 pm

I like pretty much all the new characters we've gotten, but I don't think many of them have had a true opportunity to be explored properly (outside of Beerus, Whis and Jaco). Which is a shame,
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:54 am

Jaco-great

Beerus-holds the franchise back so much.

Whis-Great as amentor,those scenes are great,but as a joke character he's bad.

Towa-Great. Nice to see a refreshing good female character in dragonball

mira-Bleh

dragonball online characters-nothing special

tarble-walking plot hole.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:44 am

Why does Beerus hold back the franchise?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:tarble-walking plot hole.
How is Tarble a plot hole? I know that it seems unlikely that Vegeta wouldn't have mentioned him, but that is in his character. I could totally see him completely ignoring his existence.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm

The self-serious (sort of) nature of Dragon Ball from the Saiyan arc to the Cell arc is really a blip on the radar in terms of the series' lifespan, though. What you're complaining about with "modern" DB is basically what it always was.
I knew someone would write this the minute I posted that. lol

I disagree. Dragon Ball, besides the first saga, was actually darker and less "kiddy" than all this modern content, with its shift in tone, slightly more meaningful deaths, and sexual humor. I mean, there's part of the RRA saga, the Tien arc, and the Piccolo saga. Sure, there were comedic moments that subverted our expectations. I mean, that should be the goal of any joke or comedy. However, the major villains and antagonists were always intimidating (Staff Officer Black, Tao, Tien, King Piccolo, Piccolo Jr, etc.) and respectable, as was God himself. Fat Buu, Beerus, Chilled, Abocado, and modern Frieza? Manchild, quirky food-lover and frenemy, quirky version of major villain, non-threat, and another non-threat, respectively. Saiyans were always depicted as ruthless by nature. Tarble? Everything I mentioned above. Aliens were commonly humanoid and intelligent. Nowadays? Cartoon caricatures or scary monsters, starting with EoB.

Everything, from humor, tone, violence has been toned down since DB. Not to mention, the choreography of battles themselves.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:45 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I knew someone would write this the minute I posted that. lol

I disagree. Dragon Ball, besides the first saga, was actually darker and less "kiddy" than all this modern content, with its shift in tone, slightly more meaningful deaths, and sexual humor. I mean, there's part of the RRA saga, the Tenshinhan arc, and the Piccolo saga. Sure, there were comedic moments that subverted our expectations. I mean, that should be the goal of any joke or comedy. However, the major villains and antagonists were always intimidating (Staff Officer Black, Tao, Tenshinhan, King Piccolo, Piccolo Jr, etc.) and respectable, as was God himself. Fat Buu, Beerus, Chilled, Abocado, and modern Freeza? Manchild, quirky food-lover and frenemy, quirky version of major villain, non-threat, and another non-threat, respectively. Saiyans were always depicted as ruthless by nature. Tarble? Everything I mentioned above. Aliens were commonly humanoid and intelligent. Nowadays? Cartoon caricatures or scary monsters, starting with EoB.

Everything, from humor, tone, violence has been toned down since DB. Not to mention, the choreography of battles themselves.
I can actually get on board with even the earlier comedy-centric portions having a bit more of an edge. That said, the early Boo arc is one of my favorite parts of the series, so I can roll with a more light-hearted era too. I see where you're coming from though.

VintageSaiyan
Temporarily Banned

Post by VintageSaiyan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Posted this in another thread as well:
I think Beerus and Whis are extremely boring characters. Beerus himself is another version of Majin Buu - a spoiled little shit with incredible power that will kill you over pudding. Seriously, this is one of the "best additions to the franchise"? As of now he has no depth and Whis is even worse. Is he a guy? A girl? Both? Do you care? Does he add anything to mythos? Is there anything about his character that is really engaging? Does the fact that his gender is ambiguous really add anything at all? Maybe in Universe 6 they'll expand on it, though I'm still doubtful anything will come out of it with the writing heading the path it's been on. DBZ wasn't known for amazing writing, but at least it's characters were strong and engaging. We still have great characters with unresolved issues and flaws from the last series - it's sad seeing everybody reduced to a caricature.