So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Re: So about C.Sabat's "new" voice...

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 pm

ABED wrote:They got better at the end of Z, but they weren't perfect. In Kai, they are natural. The dialog might be more verbose, but I'd rather they not talk down to the audience.
They're the sam line for line basically, but Goku in Z s S emotional! t sucks me in and makes me think Goku's there coaching Gohan on...kai's version sounds like a parody.
It's not a parody, I think Sean has gone on record that he was sick during those last sessions but you can't base an entire performance on one or two episodes. Even then, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Regarding the rasp, we can't possibly be hearing two different things, and this isn't a matter of opinion, there is much less rasp with Sabat's Vegeta in Kai.
I know it's opinionated but I can't understand how someone can honestly prefer kai other ten bias.
What's ten bias? I prefer Kai because the actors have more experience, know their characters, there's better music, far better dialog. It's just overall a far better show.

It's a typo. it was supposed to be then bias. My keyboard sucks. Sorry.

You're entitled to prefer kai but vegeta saying fabulous,and the dub trying to be British to sound smart "This welp calls himself a super saiyan?! Preposterous!" and Trunks...future Trunks sounds SOOOOO forced,and raspy. he doesn't sound 17. Piccolo is raspy,18 is too girly. Meredith was cold and sexy sounding....it fits her personality better. Goku has a flamboyant accent and it doesn't fit him as a hetero sexual. No gay bashing,just don't like Goku being randomly gay in the dub. It'd be like yu yu hakusho making itsuki straight. Sexuality shouldn't be changed for no reason.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:38 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Goku has a flamboyant accent and it doesn't fit him as a hetero sexual. No gay bashing,just don't like Goku being randomly gay in the dub. It'd be like yu yu hakusho making itsuki straight. Sexuality shouldn't be changed for no reason.
What?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Goku has a flamboyant accent and it doesn't fit him as a hetero sexual. No gay bashing,just don't like Goku being randomly gay in the dub. It'd be like yu yu hakusho making itsuki straight. Sexuality shouldn't be changed for no reason.
What?
A great example would be when Beerus says goku's addicted to battle....listen to goku's response.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
What?
A great example would be when Beerus says goku's addicted to battle....listen to goku's response.
It's not a particularly good example, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:01 pm

You're entitled to prefer kai but vegeta saying fabulous,and the dub trying to be British to sound smart "This welp calls himself a super saiyan?! Preposterous!" and Trunks...future Trunks sounds SOOOOO forced,and raspy. he doesn't sound 17. Piccolo is raspy,18 is too girly. Meredith was cold and sexy sounding....it fits her personality better. Goku has a flamboyant accent and it doesn't fit him as a hetero sexual. No gay bashing,just don't like Goku being randomly gay in the dub. It'd be like yu yu hakusho making itsuki straight. Sexuality shouldn't be changed for no reason.
I'll give you Trunks' rasp, but his performance is still better by and large. Piccolo isn't raspy in Kai, it's just deep. It's far better than the really raspy and gravelly voice that Sabat used in Z.

Ayres isn't sounding British, but he did make Freeza highfalutin because Freeza is an aristocratic "gentlemen". It doesn't come out of nowhere, look at his mannerisms. It's WAY better than the dialog we used to have to endure.

There's no bias here. I prefer the original and Kai because they don't feel amateurish.

I don't know what to say about your Goku sounding homosexual. Wow!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:01 pm

What?[/quote]

A great example would be when Beerus says goku's addicted to battle....listen to goku's response.[/quote]
It's not a particularly good example, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.[/quote]

You don't think goku sounds sexual to beerus when he says he gets that a lot? Seriously?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:04 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: You don't think goku sounds sexual to beerus when he says he gets that a lot? Seriously?
Not really, and I'm seriously wondering if you are just looking for things that aren't there.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: You don't think goku sounds sexual to beerus when he says he gets that a lot? Seriously?
Not really, and I'm seriously wondering if you are just looking for things that aren't there.
You're not remembering it right,go watch the scene again. It's when he' fighting Beerus as SSJ God in the city.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
You're not remembering it right,go watch the scene again. It's when he' fighting Beerus as SSJ God in the city.
I know exactly what part you are talking about. Goku doesn't sound "gay" at all, whatever that means.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:11 pm

What does it even mean to sound "homosexual"? For that matter, what does it even mean to sound "heterosexual"?

Flamboyant voice =/= homosexual character.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Zephyr wrote:What does it even mean to sound "homosexual"? For that matter, what does it even mean to sound "heterosexual"?

Flamboyant voice =/= homosexual character.
It's not even a flamboyant voice. It's just....Schemmel.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 pm

This is getting completely out-of-hand and the conversation is over.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This is getting completely out-of-hand and the conversation is over.
Your site,do what you like, but I'm assuming it was the observation of schemmel's new fruity take on Goku. If it was something I did (I'm assuming it was) can you tell me what I did? I don't wanna do something deemed wrong on the site multiple times.

And for the record,it wasn't gay bashing. Just a observation.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:51 pm

It's definitely far less rugged than it was in Z. However, his screams alongside Schemmel's are still rather lackluster. Adding an echo filter doesn't make it any more powerful either, which is what they seemed to've done in order to compensate. There's times where his voice fluctuates and sounds unnerving, such that godawful bingo scene in BoGs, where he his voices overlapped briefly. That's another thing, his Kuwabara and Piccolo voices don't as frequently overlap as they used to when he's doing Vegeta, which is good.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:39 am

What do you mean overlap? Overlap with with what?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:53 pm

i agree with Sayo-chan plus he does NOT sound like a Prince of all Saiyans imo.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 am

ABED wrote:What do you mean overlap? Overlap with with what?
There are times where you can hear him mix his voices up a bit. This mainly occurs with grunts and things of that nature now, but back with Yu Yu Hakusho's dub Piccolo and Vegeta would frequently get meshed into his Kuwabara voice.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:50 am

So you mean his voices sound very similar, like he confuses which voice he's performing?

Vegeta sounds the most similar to Kuwabara, but even there I don't recall ever thinking they sounded alike, and certainly never thought his Piccolo sounded like Kuwabara. Before Kai, his Piccolo was more gravelly and growly, for lack of better terms. His Kuwabara is more deep and raspy. And to be completely honest, it never bothered me if he did sound similar to a voice he does in a completely different series. It only bothered me that his Kuwabara is awful.
i agree with Sayo-chan plus he does NOT sound like a Prince of all Saiyans imo.
Which Vegeta voice from Sabat do you think sounds like the Prince of all Saiyans? And what does this statement even mean?

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 am

ABED wrote:So you mean his voices sound very similar, like he confuses which voice he's performing?
Somewhat. I don't think he'd forget he's voicing a certain character, but rather the voices weren't all that different from one another, so they'd naturally tend to mesh into one another, due to lack of control. There's a reason his Jheese voice never came out when he was voicing Vegeta.
ABED wrote:Vegeta sounds the most similar to Kuwabara, but even there I don't recall ever thinking they sounded alike, and certainly never thought his Piccolo sounded like Kuwabara. Before Kai, his Piccolo was more gravelly and growly, for lack of better terms. His Kuwabara is more deep and raspy. And to be completely honest, it never bothered me if he did sound similar to a voice he does in a completely different series. It only bothered me that his Kuwabara is awful.
His Piccolo could be heard through some of the unnatural grunting, but that was seldom by comparison though. I remember a number of times before I knew he voiced both characters where I'd wonder, "Why does he sound like Vegeta?"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:17 am

ABED wrote: Which Vegeta voice from Sabat do you think sounds like the Prince of all Saiyans? And what does this statement even mean?
none of them.

here's what I'm saying:
a Prince of Saiyans should NOT:
sound like some blowhard
sound too old
sound raspy
sound whiny

a Prince of Saiyans SHOULD:
sound like a prince
sound battle-hardened and evil
sound confident and cocky
their laugh should be condescending

so, like this:
https://instagram.com/p/yuG2GPqxiJ/ (great for Z Vegeta)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7T3QHKwCI8 (works well for GT Vegeta)
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!