Sean Schemmel's other roles in DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Sean Schemmel's other roles in DB

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 am

I was watching Episode 126 and there is this guy

I'm pretty sure he's voiced by Shemmel but with a higher pitch. He sounds kinda like Corletts Roshi. I would be really interested hear this voice as Goku.

What other voices did he do?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: sean schemmels other roles in DB

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 am

I'm sure he's done lots of one-off background character voices here and there, but his other main role is North Kaio, and he also did Nail.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: sean schemmels other roles in DB

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:I'm sure he's done lots of one-off background character voices here and there, but his other main role is North Kaio, and he also did Nail.
I forgot got about North Kaio haha. You don't hear him much in anime so I'm trying to see what range he has.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Sean Schemmel's other roles in DB

Post by B » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:39 pm

He can do accents based on his 4Kids work(Shaman King, One Piece), and he re-appropriates North Kaiou's voice for a Pokémon role. Incidentally, that Pokémon character is also played by Masako Nozawa in Japanese.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:45 pm

In the most recent episode I just watched in my rewatch of the series, it the episode when Buu makes his house. Buu lands right in the middle of a city and right in front of guy driving a truck with a Brooklyn accent who was voiced by Schemmel.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm

I always liked him as Nail. He played him with a more low key voice that was actually better than his Goku at the time. His Kai Nail voice isn't bad, either.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Man-Child wrote:I always liked him as Nail. He played him with a more low key voice that was actually better than his Goku at the time. His Kai Nail voice isn't bad, either.

At the legendary Animazement, he stated that, in Kai, he "wanted to make it to sound like he's related to Piccolo, so I dug as deep as I could. (motions to applauding crowd) You like that?"

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Man-Child wrote:I always liked him as Nail. He played him with a more low key voice that was actually better than his Goku at the time. His Kai Nail voice isn't bad, either.
Most of the deliveries that Sean made for Nail's lines were incredibly silly and over-the-top. I couldn't believe it when I saw that air for the first time.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:24 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
At the legendary Animazement, he stated that, in Kai, he "wanted to make it to sound like he's related to Piccolo, so I dug as deep as I could. (motions to applauding crowd) You like that?"
Interesting tidbit. And it worked out well, because I actually thought it was Chris Sabat voicing the character when I first heard him in Kai.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote: Most of the deliveries that Sean made for Nail's lines were incredibly silly and over-the-top. I couldn't believe it when I saw that air for the first time.
I'm not saying his acting at times was without fault (It was season 3, after all), but generally, his speaking voice for Nail never did seem that bad to me. Especially compared to the cheesier voices he going for with Goku and King Kai at the time. Of course, the difference in characters was a big factor, but I thought Schemmel's Nail was fine.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 pm

I reckon they should have let him voice Tullece in the 06 Tree of Might redub, instead of getting a guy with a different sounding voice (as was the case in the Ocean dubs).

It would make sense, seeing as FUNimation were trying to 'correct' a lot of old mistakes from the Ocean era in their uncut redubs.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Loosely speaking, he has also voiced Kuririn, Piccolo, and Vegeta.

As a lot of us already know, for the airing of Kai on the (now defunct) Toonzai time block from 4Kids (...also....now defunct), the show had to be edited even beyond the edits that had already been done for Nicktoons, and this extended to dialogue that, despite being toned down already, had to be even further toned down to comply with FCC standards. Eventually (and supposedly at Schemmel's suggestion), 4Kids started contacting FUNimation and having the original voice actors do the revised dialogue. However, before they did that, they were rushed. Schemmel still lived in New York at the time, where 4Kids was based, and so they just brought him in to do some "voice matching" work where he impersonated Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat's respective character voices to record the toned-down dialogue.

And...to be honest......it was very damn good. I could kind of tell that something sounded weird with Kuririn, but I didn't notice his Vegeta voice matching until it was pointed out to me, and I didn't recognize his Piccolo voice matching even after it was pointed out to me. It was pretty damn impressive, quite honestly.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Loosely speaking, he has also voiced Kuririn, Piccolo, and Vegeta.

As a lot of us already know, for the airing of Kai on the (now defunct) Toonzai time block from 4Kids (...also....now defunct), the show had to be edited even beyond the edits that had already been done for Nicktoons, and this extended to dialogue that, despite being toned down already, had to be even further toned down to comply with FCC standards. Eventually (and supposedly at Schemmel's suggestion), 4Kids started contacting FUNimation and having the original voice actors do the revised dialogue. However, before they did that, they were rushed. Schemmel still lived in New York at the time, where 4Kids was based, and so they just brought him in to do some "voice matching" work where he impersonated Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat's respective character voices to record the toned-down dialogue.

And...to be honest......it was very damn good. I could kind of tell that something sounded weird with Kuririn, but I didn't notice his Vegeta voice matching until it was pointed out to me, and I didn't recognize his Piccolo voice matching even after it was pointed out to me. It was pretty damn impressive, quite honestly.
is there video? Sounds interesting!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:06 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:is there video? Sounds interesting!
This video has a few for Krillin and Piccolo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HN-Ee3k3DQ

Here's Vegeta.
https://youtu.be/rebTDWIsDP8?t=118
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)