Why do all of Goku's former enemies become his friends?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: Why do all of Goku's former enemies become his friends?

Post by DB1984 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Friendship

For some reason this trope is so commonly affiliated with Nanoha, even though Goku has been doing it for way longer and had more success.
Another one.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceTurn

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Because, by becoming Goku's "friends", they can just use their superpowers and/or mooching to live a life of luxury on Earth and get whatever they want, without having to worry about any retribution for their crimes. Who would reject that deal?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DomoArigatoMrPopo

Post by DomoArigatoMrPopo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:36 am

Given that Goku's usually responsible for defeating his enemies, it makes sense that they'd buddy up to him after being defeated. Goku doesn't have any qualms about killing what he percieves to be an actual enemy, and by the time most of his enemies have been defeated they're aware of that fact.

I mean, assume Vegeta never had a family. He'd still probably end up taking on the rival role to Goku rather than the enemy role. Vegeta spent his whole life wanting to overthrow Freeza, and here comes this low level Saiyan who defeats him instead. Are you really gonna go around blowing up planets when there's a guy like that hanging around?

Sure, you can say it's "the power of friendship" but I'm pretty sure that at least half of it is not wanting to get vaporised by a Kamehameha.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:38 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Freeza must have friendship immunity.
As does Raditz.
He just died. They either die, or become good, or die and become good later, after being resurrected.
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Freeza must have friendship immunity.
As does Raditz.
Raditz could have used that friendship. Poor guy probably never had any friends.
Well, considering that his best friend seemed to be Vegeta... Yeah.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

DomoArigatoMrPopo

Post by DomoArigatoMrPopo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:54 am

Not to derail the thread or anything, but is it considered weird at all that Goku would end up befriending Vegeta after his atrocities, yet be completely unforgiving of Raditz?

Is it a case of Raditz actually being evil, while Vegeta was just a victim of circumstance? Does it have something to do with each Saiyan's potential for love and goodness?

Outside of the hereditary royal bloodline, there didn't seem to be much familial bonding on Planet Vegeta, and even though it wasn't the best example of a father/son relationship, I feel like Prince Vegeta did love and respect his father, even if pride and social custom ensured he didn't exactly show it in a human way. He also wanted some kind of justice by overthrowing Freeza, even if he was clouded by anger and rage and his own instilled destructive tendencies.

Raditz on the other hand had no qualms about killing his own brother and kidnapping Gohan to be another Saiyan warrior in the employ of Freeza. Is this capacity and lust for evil and lack of goodness, the reason he was never resurrected and given a second chance?

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:05 pm

DomoArigatoMrPopo wrote:Not to derail the thread or anything, but is it considered weird at all that Goku would end up befriending Vegeta after his atrocities, yet be completely unforgiving of Raditz?

Is it a case of Raditz actually being evil, while Vegeta was just a victim of circumstance? Does it have something to do with each Saiyan's potential for love and goodness?

Outside of the hereditary royal bloodline, there didn't seem to be much familial bonding on Planet Vegeta, and even though it wasn't the best example of a father/son relationship, I feel like Prince Vegeta did love and respect his father, even if pride and social custom ensured he didn't exactly show it in a human way. He also wanted some kind of justice by overthrowing Freeza, even if he was clouded by anger and rage and his own instilled destructive tendencies.

Raditz on the other hand had no qualms about killing his own brother and kidnapping Gohan to be another Saiyan warrior in the employ of Freeza. Is this capacity and lust for evil and lack of goodness, the reason he was never resurrected and given a second chance?
Nah, nah, nah, Vegeta was obviously much more evil than Raditz, or any show saiyan, for this sake (except Broly, but even that was better in his base form). As for why Goku didn't forgive him, or something, because he most likely forgot about him, and Raditz never redeemed himself in his eyes. You may say that Goku is a hypocrite for hanging out with Vegeta, but never ressurrecting his own brother... But, well, thing are as they are.

What about Raditz - he hesitated a lot of times to kill Goku and asked him to join him. Vegeta just arrived, didn't give a damn about Nappa wanting to wish back their dead comrade, who was one of the last saiyans to remain as well, and moreover killed by his own hands that said last comrade. Vegeta was really much more evil than Raditz or Nappa in my opinion.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

DomoArigatoMrPopo

Post by DomoArigatoMrPopo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
DomoArigatoMrPopo wrote:Not to derail the thread or anything, but is it considered weird at all that Goku would end up befriending Vegeta after his atrocities, yet be completely unforgiving of Raditz?

Nah, nah, nah, Vegeta was obviously much more evil than Raditz, or any show saiyan, for this sake (except Broly, but even that was better in his base form). As for why Goku didn't forgive him, or something, because he most likely forgot about him, and Raditz never redeemed himself in his eyes. You may say that Goku is a hypocrite for hanging out with Vegeta, but never ressurrecting his own brother... But, well, thing are as they are.

What about Raditz - he hesitated a lot of times to kill Goku and asked him to join him. Vegeta just arrived, didn't give a damn about Nappa wanting to wish back their dead comrade, who was one of the last saiyans to remain as well, and moreover killed by his own hands that said last comrade. Vegeta was really much more evil than Raditz or Nappa in my opinion.
Perhaps, then, it's more a case of Goku seeing somewhat of a kindred spirit in Vegeta, at least on the level of wanting to constantly train and get stronger?

We know Goku loves his friends, and does have a sense of justice, even if it's a little askew, but he'd really rather disappear and find new horizons to train in, and out of all the friends he's had, Vegeta's the only one who really has that drive to keep pushing himself to get stronger.

Maybe Goku needs that. Maybe the combination of a worthy sparring partner, and a connection to his homeworld brought out something in him. He certainly seems more in touch with his Saiyan-ness, and more Vegeta-like by the time the Cell Saga rolls around.