What does TOEI use to animate with now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

What does TOEI use to animate with now?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:26 am

I've been watching some videos and it seems both in Japan and Philippines they use photoshop? I know there is an animation plug in, but whats the program they used to trace over scenes for Dragon Ball Kai and what was shown in the rough animation of what I think was the kai opening?. Any ideas?

also found this video about TOEI animation philippines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBL3TzRaj-c

PolatGuy92

Re: What does TOEI use to animate with now?

Post by PolatGuy92 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:56 am

Photoshop is way too expensive for them. They've probably use Paint.net :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:40 am

Looks like Apple computers with Photoshop on them, but I could be wrong.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Definitely Photoshop, macs on the first few images, windows on the last images. You can tell by the iconic "feather" at the top of the toolbox, and the blurry application title on the macs has the length and ascenders/descenders of the word Photoshop.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:42 pm

MS Paint. :P

Seriously, they probably use some high-end Japanese artist software and photoshop.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Most animators in Japan still draw on paper, but some do use Flash and tablets.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:48 am

They use Retas Suite for just about everything. Keyframes are done on pencil and scanned, backgrounds probably Photoshop or something similar, audio who knows, but all elements are brought together using Retas.