Goku's jokes to King Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Goku's jokes to King Kai

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Hey guys! I was watching another Ocean DVD and I'm moving very slow! :P But when Goku was telling the jokes to King Kai, his jokes aren't funny at all but then I heard him say ''Hey King Kai! Looks like you've fallen and you can't get up!''
3:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3tf7Zz9Vs
Please someone tell me they got that line from this old life alarm commercial. haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZWFEFwgBw
Now before someone is saying I'm making fun of old people falling and not being able to get up that's not the case. my grandfather has fallen and actually makes a joke saying the above. I just found it funny they ''may'' have added that for comedy's sake.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Goku's jokes to King Kai

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:28 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Hey guys! I was watching another Ocean DVD and I'm moving very slow! :P But when Goku was telling the jokes to King Kai, his jokes aren't funny at all but then I heard him say ''Hey King Kai! Looks like you've fallen and you can't get up!'' <br abp="691">3:06<br abp="692">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3tf7Zz9Vs<br abp="693">Please someone tell me they got that line from this old life alarm commercial. haha <br abp="694">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZWFEFwgBw<br abp="695">Now before someone is saying I'm making fun of old people falling and not being able to get up that's not the case. my grandfather has fallen and actually makes a joke saying the above. I just found it funny they ''may'' have added that for comedy's sake.
It wasn't making fun of the elderly. The reference is to the old commercial as it was unintentionally funny and became an overused joke, much like "who are you and what have you done with..."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:29 pm

I just found it so funny that that made it into Dragonball. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I just found it so funny that that made it into Dragonball. :P
I don't know if the writers knew where the reference came from specifically.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Is there any other little things like that that made it into the series? I'm talking about Ocean here. I know Vegeta says Mondo cool haha It'll take me a while to get to that part though.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:54 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Is there any other little things like that that made it into the series? I'm talking about Ocean here. I know Vegeta says Mondo cool haha It'll take me a while to get to that part though.
Kuririn says it, and it's not in the Ocean dub, that's deep into the Freeza arc. I can't remember if there's anything like what you mentioned in the Ocean dub off the top of my head.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:13 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Is there any other little things like that that made it into the series? I'm talking about Ocean here. I know Vegeta says Mondo cool haha It'll take me a while to get to that part though.
I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly but here's some miscellaneous weird shit from the ocean dub...

In episode 20 Piccolo mentions the old testament story of David and Goliath.

In episode 24 it's implied that Vegeta has rampaged on Earth before and killed Goku's grandfather.

In either episode 23 or 24 Vegeta tells Goku that Bardock was an average fighter but a brilliant scientist.

In that same episode Vegeta mentions Rigal 7, a planet from Star Trek.

In episode 27 Vegeta calls Goku by his Earth name instead of "Kakarot".

Bulma sings the original Dragon Ball intro in episode 30

Krillin prays a christian prayer in episode 37.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:45 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for buddy! Thanks! Man...I'm gonna have to remember to listen closely when they say that stuff. :thumbup:
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:In that same episode Vegeta mentions Rigal 7, a planet from Star Trek.
You sure about that?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:00 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Akumaito Beam wrote:In that same episode Vegeta mentions Rigal 7, a planet from Star Trek.
You sure about that?
Also mentioned in one of the Simpsons episodes by Kang and Kodos!

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rigel_VII

Ocean might be excused on this, because it seems like many shows throw out "Rigel" when mentioning some unimportant planet. Fun fact: Star Trek calls it Rigel VII, while Simpsons calls it Rigel 7 (no roman numeral).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm

lol. The Ocean Dub version of that joke scene is much better than the Funi one.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm

LuckyCat wrote:http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rigel_VII

Ocean might be excused on this, because it seems like many shows throw out "Rigel" when mentioning some unimportant planet. Fun fact: Star Trek calls it Rigel VII, while Simpsons calls it Rigel 7 (no roman numeral).
So apparently Nappa and Vegeta needed to go Oozaru to beat these guys:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: So apparently Nappa and Vegeta needed to go Oozaru to beat these guys:
Apparently they had "radical weaponry"...whatever that entails.