MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 5/27/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/13/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Ooh, I get to make the 100th reply to my own thread. Thanks, everyone, for letting this thread and this series get this far. It's no Abridged (or even Absalom), but I can dream, damnit!

To be honest, I'm not sure what I really could have said about the Famicom reference. In fact, that's mainly why I glossed over it. Maybe that's just a lack of creativity on my part, but I really can't think of anything other than to have just said there was a reference to it (although I admit the fact that Viz generalized the video game reference also made me second-guess myself as to whether or not the Famicom thing was accurate or just fan hearsay, which also led to me not giving it much attention).

Coola, like I said, I give no empirical evidence. I have proof that one fan in Japan (who would now be in his 70s... wow!) complained about it, but it certainly does seem to be something I hear a lot about here on these boards. The issue I have with the "ensemble" statements in the future is that I believe that in order to be an effective ensemble, all or most of the characters have to play a substantial part. To take an obvious example, the ending of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, where each trap played to the strengths of each main character. Even though Harry was the only one to make it through to the end, he wouldn't have been able to without Ron and Hermione. Contrast the Cell arc, which people often bring up as an example of this ensemble mechanic that the Goku-centric early stories didn't have, where the other characters just run around like chickens with their heads cut off failing at every possible opportunity until Goku gets better and takes the reins once more. The Red Ribbon arc could have had such ensemble storytelling too. Just set the story in Jingle Village several days before Goku gets there and show the girl and her parents impotently resisting the Red Ribbon regime and accomplishing nothing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:45 am

Just to ask, what arc are you looking forward to reviewing the most?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 am

I think actually a lot of the later arcs. I remember having the first seeds of ideas for doing a series like this back in 2010 when I'd take walks around my neighborhood and just coming up with all the things I planned to say about certain events in the Cell and Boo arcs. Haha, at the rate I'm going, it'll probably have been close to 5 years after I first had that idea that they actually show up in a video! :lol:

Ohhh, and, JulieYBM, now I feel stupid because I just got done re-reading this thread, and you did actually mention the Famicom gag way back when I first started doing this arc. Sorry... But like I said, I'm not sure what I would have said about it anyway, but I feel really stupid for specifically asking for suggestions and then totally forgetting to re-read them or write them down.

Also feel compelled to mention that only a few days after my OMG crazy amazingly high panty count of 6 in this video, I just got home from work, processing a box of shipment containing over 500 panties. While this is not at all uncommon in my job, the humor was not lost on me. (Well, at least there's only 3 weeks left until I get to go back to my "actually manages to pay the bills" job!)
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 am

Just wondering, do you count the Baba Tournament as part of the RRA arc?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 am

Seeing that pointed out name typo in manga, anime had nice typo too (Taken from Dragonball errors topic)
Blue is also first victim of "New villain easily overpower previous villain" something we will often see later in series.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 am

Kid Buu wrote:Just wondering, do you count the Baba Tournament as part of the RRA arc?
Allow me to point you in the direction of my introduction video that should answer any questions you may have. But to answer this question specifically, I am dividing the story into 10 story arcs (what I feel is the most logical and complete):

1. The Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc
2. The 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
3. The Red Ribbon Army arc
4. The 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
5. The Piccolo Daimao arc
6. The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
7. The Saiyan arc
8. The Freeza arc
9. The Cell arc
10. The Majin Boo arc

I swear it's just a very fortuitous coincidence that that allows me to arrange the arcs on a scale of 1-10 in relation to each other. So, yes, I consider the tournament at Uranai Baba's to be the "falling action" of the traditional story structure that makes up the Red Ribbon Army arc.
coola wrote:Seeing that pointed out name typo in manga, anime had nice typo too (Taken from Dragonball errors topic)
*snip*
Haha, that's good. Not to promote my own bias, but it reminds me a bit of Bulma/Blooma. :lol: Also, that stabbed guy looks so much different in the anime than how I see him in the manga.
coola wrote:Blue is also first victim of "New villain easily overpower previous villain" something we will often see later in series.
That is definitely something I needn't forget to put in my videos. Thank you!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

Ah, well, it's okay. I loved the mentioning of Blue's dead soldiers telling him they failed. :P
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Just wondering, do you count the Baba Tournament as part of the RRA arc?
Allow me to point you in the direction of my introduction video that should answer any questions you may have. But to answer this question specifically, I am dividing the story into 10 story arcs (what I feel is the most logical and complete):

1. The Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc
2. The 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
3. The Red Ribbon Army arc
4. The 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
5. The Piccolo Daimao arc
6. The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai arc
7. The Saiyan arc
8. The Freeza arc
9. The Cell arc
10. The Majin Boo arc

I swear it's just a very fortuitous coincidence that that allows me to arrange the arcs on a scale of 1-10 in relation to each other. So, yes, I consider the tournament at Uranai Baba's to be the "falling action" of the traditional story structure that makes up the Red Ribbon Army arc.
Oh, I've seen all your videos (remember I even PM'd you about the Zyuranger ones once), but its not like those vids came out yesterday, so I forget some stuff.

But I was going to say, if you factor in the Baba tournament, then Yamcha does do something in the RRA arc, and Krillin is omnipresent in the General Blue portion.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Oh, I've seen all your videos (remember I even PM'd you about the Zyuranger ones once), but its not like those vids came out yesterday, so I forget some stuff.
I thought that might have been the case, but I didn't want to assume and say something like, "What? Haven't you watched the videos? It's already in there!" so I thought I'd play it safe, both for you and if anyone else happened to have the same question. :D
But I was going to say, if you factor in the Baba tournament, then Yamcha does do something in the RRA arc, and Krillin is omnipresent in the General Blue portion.
Yep! This is very true! I'm looking forward to finally getting to that part.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/24/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

DBD: The Red Ribbon Army Arc Part 6!

Here I am again. It would have been sooner, but I had a little extra work to do for this one. Anyway, let me know what you think! We have some Dr. Slump crossover, some drastic tonal shifts, and large phallic objects used by both the protagonist and antagonist.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:and large phallic objects used by both the protagonist and antagonist.
*George Takei voice* OHHHH MYYYYY.

Sorry. Literally could not resist. :P I'm a few episodes of this behind, but getting caught up now - great to see you still keeping them coming at a pretty decent pace.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Oh, crap. I totally didn't realize I was going to be competing with TeamFourStar's release today. I am so the #19 of this pairing, while they're the Vegeta.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:04 pm

My God, I enjoy these. Whenever I see there's a new one, watching it is first priority. =D And sorry about releasing on the same day as you. @.@
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 pm

New Abridged and a new Dissection on one day!?! Now I really gotta get home.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Man, one of these is the absolute best ways to wake up. I'm really liking that this arc is moving along at a reasonable pace despite it being so long.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:20 pm

I love these so much. I'm glad you went with the fake-out opening with the Dr. Slump theme and then revealing this was actually Dragon Ball. I wonder what the fan reaction was at the time this was originally published? It must have been wild. Toriyama's art is really improving here. His layouts and use of camera is improving and the background items, like the Karin-tou's base, are just gorgeous. These are some of my favorite episodes in the TV series, too. Since Dragon Ball has almost the exact same cast and crew as Dr. Slump: Arale-chan the crossover felt very much tonally in-synch. Kikuchi Shunsuke's music and the shared cast members made for an especially fun atmosphere.

I've got to say, I really liked how the 1986 TV series managed to flesh out the Colonel Yellow arc. Yellow and Bora's dialogue is so much fun to listen to thanks to Gouri Daisuke and Ginga Banjou's performances. Ginga especially is a big departure from his work as Silver.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Hearing that Dr Slump theme make me feel little sad, that we probably never get Dr.Slump anime English subbed. I also like to believe, that Arale got revived at end of Majin Buu Saga, maybe #16 got revived as well?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

KaiserNeko wrote:My God, I enjoy these. Whenever I see there's a new one, watching it is first priority. =D And sorry about releasing on the same day as you. @.@
Oh, wow. Thank you. I had no idea I had gotten TeamFourStar's attention. That really means a lot, especially since I've been on an Abridged kick lately and have been trying to teach myself how to make openings as visually interesting as yours. And no need to apologize. Just one of those things. :D
Zephyr wrote:Man, one of these is the absolute best ways to wake up. I'm really liking that this arc is moving along at a reasonable pace despite it being so long.
I'm curious. Do you mean that the arc itself moves at a reasonable pace, or that I am getting through the arc at a reasonable pace?
JulieYBM wrote:I love these so much. I'm glad you went with the fake-out opening with the Dr. Slump theme and then revealing this was actually Dragon Ball. I wonder what the fan reaction was at the time this was originally published? It must have been wild. Toriyama's art is really improving here. His layouts and use of camera is improving and the background items, like the Karin-tou's base, are just gorgeous. These are some of my favorite episodes in the TV series, too. Since Dragon Ball has almost the exact same cast and crew as Dr. Slump: Arale-chan the crossover felt very much tonally in-synch. Kikuchi Shunsuke's music and the shared cast members made for an especially fun atmosphere.
Thank you. The Dr. Slump opening was an idea I have a long time ago, if not at the beginning of the series than at least at the beginning of the arc. So I made sure I arranged this in such a way that the crossover would open a video. Then again, just meant more work for me, and me trying to top the DBD openings I'd made so far. And after all that, you're the only person who's said anything about it. That's my life! :P

And I know what you mean about the art. There's that first panel of 84 that I'd never noticed until I blew it up on my computer screen. The background is just gorgeous! Any time I do one of these, I have this little voice of you in my head saying, "Don't forget to talk about the art!" And don't worry, I'm not planning to.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 am

Since you're using the Kanzenbans, do you actually read it in Japanese or are you using some sort of reference (perhaps one from this site)?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 am

I'm using a combination of my Viz collection (for general reading purposes) and this site (for fact-checking), although, for certain visual text information (like where Blooma first uses the term "Son-kun" or where Tao Pai Pai's name is actually said) I can count on my feeble Japanese reading skills to seek that out in the Kanzenban. Also, since the tankobon division is what I'm most familiar with, if I'm looking for a specific panel or page, it's easier to flip through the tankobon, find it, and figure it out where its kanzenban equivalent would be. I usually have all three open when I'm editing.