Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by coola » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 am

I almost feel sorry for Chris Sabat, when he will have to explain for his "Buu Saga was a filler"
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am

coola wrote:I almost feel sorry for Chris Sabat, when he will have to explain for his "Buu Saga was a filler"
Other FUNimation employees said the intended ending of DBZ was by Cell's saga and that Majin Buu's saga was only filler.

I don't think their fanbase even knows they said this or remembers.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 pm

dbzkfan543 wrote:HOLY SH*T!

I really want to see someone else try Gohan, though. Don't get me wrong, I think Kyle Hebert can act, it's just...his voice doesn't really fit the role in my opinion. I think that Colleen Clinkenbeard would make a very interesting Gohan if she can make herself sound the age. If she can't, then Sean Schemmel would be pretty cool if he can differentiate his voice from Goku enough.

If Toonami gets a big enough budget, then it would be awesome for them to air it.
I personally think Kyle Hebert does a great Gohan. He sounds nerdy, kind, epic, and abnormal when acting around humans. Maybe there is someone who could do better, but I don't think that person is Sean Schemmel.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm

This time Toei must be giving more care to international standards, so I wonder whether they're censoring video themselves. I wish they're making the uncut version anyway.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

kei17 wrote:This time Toei must be giving more care to international standards, so I wonder whether they're censoring video themselves. I wish they're making the uncut version anyway.
I sure hope Toei doesn't take it upon themselves to censor Kai for the international market. If that we the case, there will be no true "uncut" version of Kai itself to market on the official releases, and the TV friendly version will be the ONLY version -_-

I really hope for Toei's censorship to be no more different than how the majority of Kai was treated (sans the early Goku and Raditz death) and let the overseas distributors handle the necessary censorship for their TV audience.

Besides can you imagine the fandom backlash if Toei were to *shiver* make Popo blue just to cater to the American CW4Kids TV version :cry: :evil:
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

What even was the problem with Popo being black, that didn't make Piccolo being green or anyone else being "white person coloured" a problem? Toei won't censor, they know that would be a terrible move because some companies want to release uncut versions, and they know everyone required different levels of censorship. They can't decide what is or isn't suitable for every TV station. They're probably hoping to air or at least release it in Japan at some time in the future, anyway.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Fizzer wrote:What even was the problem with Popo being black
While there's certainly a debate to be had over why Popo was "fine" as-is in North America from 1996 up through that change on the 4Kids programming block despite being on similar channels in similar time slots at different points in time, and there's also certainly a great conversation to be had about Japanese cultural viewpoints in the 1980s when the series was a product of its time...

... asking what the problem is shows a distinct lack of cultural and historical sensitivity and awareness, particularly if you do happen to be from North America.

(I'm not sure if you are or not, though, so by all means let us know if that is all completely news to you.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Fizzer wrote:What even was the problem with Popo being black
While there's certainly a debate to be had over why Popo was "fine" as-is in North America from 1996 up through that change on the 4Kids programming block despite being on similar channels in similar time slots at different points in time, and there's also certainly a great conversation to be had about Japanese cultural viewpoints in the 1980s when the series was a product of its time...

... asking what the problem is shows a distinct lack of cultural and historical sensitivity and awareness, particularly if you do happen to be from North America.

(I'm not sure if you are or not, though, so by all means let us know if that is all completely news to you.)
I'm not from North America, and the issue does seem bizarre to me. I'm sorry if not knowing about it offends anyone. I have heard of similar things like the terms "blackboard" and "black coffee" being considered racially offensive, but I don't understand those either, I think black is just a colour.

If the colour of Popo is actually intended to be a racial joke, like he's an offensive caricature of a black person, and that sort of thing was common in Japan (and the USA?) at that time, then it would make sense. I haven't heard that that's the case, but it's all I can think of.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Well, to summarize the controversy, the problem wasn't that he was black, the problem was that he was drawn in such a way that he resembled somebody wearing a style of makeup called "blackface," which is considered extremely offensive in North America. Firstly for its unattractive physical appearance, and secondly for its historical roots, in which it was typically used in artistic and theatrical productions that portrayed black people as lazy and ignorant (NOT AN OPINION I SHARE, to be clear, I'm just relaying historical information about how that makeup style was typically used earlier in North American history). Popo does, unfortunately, resemble blackface to an extent. There's his his black skin, and you also have his over-sized lips and a few missing teeth...all elements of blackface.

Since Japan doesn't have a significant history of portraying black people as ignorant, they do not regard blackface as offensive. It has no meaning to them.

Interestingly enough, though, I've talked to several fans of DBZ Kai who are black, and they said they were more offended by the CW turning him blue than they were by his original appearance.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Let's not forget that Popo also talks like a child in Japanese, grossly exaggerating things even more.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well, to summarize the controversy, the problem wasn't that he was black, the problem was that he was drawn in such a way that he resembled somebody wearing a style of makeup called "blackface," which is considered extremely offensive in North America. Firstly for its unattractive physical appearance, and secondly for its historical roots, in which it was typically used in artistic and theatrical productions that portrayed black people as lazy and ignorant (NOT AN OPINION I SHARE, to be clear, I'm just relaying historical information about how that makeup style was typically used earlier in North American history). Popo does, unfortunately, resemble blackface to an extent. There's his his black skin, and you also have his over-sized lips and a few missing teeth...all elements of blackface.

Since Japan doesn't have a significant history of portraying black people as ignorant, they do not regard blackface as offensive. It has no meaning to them.

Interestingly enough, though, I've talked to several fans of DBZ Kai who are black, and they said they were more offended by the CW turning him blue than they were by his original appearance.
I thought it would be more offensive to recolour a "black" character, but I thought it was on the grounds that he was black. I always thought Popo was just some sort of mystical being. I never realised his appearance was actually a racist gag, but again, I'm not from America.

Sorry, everyone, for my lack of understanding.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Fizzer wrote:Sorry, everyone, for my lack of understanding.
No need to apologize! That's why I finished my initial post that way -- we are SUCH an international community, that just automatically assuming everyone knows everything about every culture is a little naive, so I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page. I'm pretty sure everyone here is happy to explain, share, and learn together :).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Yeah, Fizzer, no worries! Like I said, that artistic style doesn't have the same impact depending on where it's used. I don't want to say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure North America (and possibly a few other primarily English-speaking countries) are the only countries to do any kind of censoring of Popo, in the anime or the manga. In many other places--most notably Japan--it doesn't have the same meaning, and isn't considered offensive.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:13 pm

I just had a thought. Assuming they continue to do some brief new animation for Kai, I hope they whip together an animation of the extra ending that Toriyama did for the final episode of this. I've always wanted to see it animated.

Oh, and on the Popo thing, quick question - I've heard it explained that another reason for Japan's general insensitivity towards the whole 'blackface' thing is because they picked up some of it from our old movies and cartoons that went over there that did it, back before it was seen as offensive as it was. Is there any truth to that at all? There's also a fairly low black population in Japan for them to even worry about offending, in-country anyway, right?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm

I wonder what characters will they recast for the dub? It won't surprise me if they give Fat Buu a new voice.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 pm

This is awesome! Finally Vegetto in brilliant HD so to speak. I am still baffled why this is not going to be aired in Japan.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder what characters will they recast for the dub? It won't surprise me if they give Fat Buu a new voice.
Personally I'd be alright with the same voice, as long as they fix his speech pattern.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 pm

kei17 wrote:This time Toei must be giving more care to international standards, so I wonder whether they're censoring video themselves.
That's my biggest fear.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Do we know who's financing it yet? If Saban's footing the bill, that might be the case. Remember Ultimate Muscle got its second season sans forehead kanji due to the Fox Network actually footing the bill. If Toei is doing this of its own will, who knows?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Let's not forget that Popo also talks like a child in Japanese, grossly exaggerating things even more.
I've never though of his speech pattern as childish, more like a caveman. Which makes since given how old Mr. Popo is, his speaking skills would be somewhat primitive, like talking in third person, leaving out articles, etc. Toku Nishio voice for Popo always sounded like a caveman and never came off as stereotypical, to me anyways.
ThunderPX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder what characters will they recast for the dub? It won't surprise me if they give Fat Buu a new voice.
Personally I'd be alright with the same voice, as long as they fix his speech pattern.
I hope they replace Martin with someone else, like Greg Ayres (heard that name kicked around a few times and it could work). I also hope they can find a single VA for all the forms of Boo. I've never understood why Funi and Ocean had to have different VAs for each of his main forms. They didn't do that with Freeza or Cell, so why Boo?