Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 am

Whis was taking several minutes to get there, and was already near the planet by the time he was talking to Beerus. If what you're suggesting is true, Beerus was able to get from the temple to the planet much faster than Whis could.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:50 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Whis was taking several minutes to get there, and was already near the planet by the time he was talking to Beerus. If what you're suggesting is true, Beerus was able to get from the temple to the planet much faster than Whis could.
No he didn't. Beerus told Whis not to take any longer than 3 minutes. Whis got there in about 1 minute seeing as when he was talking to Beerus (right when he was approaching the planet) he said there's still 2 minutes left. When Beerus got to the planet there was only 40 seconds left, so no, Beerus didn't get there faster than Whis did.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 am

But Whis started a lot closer to the planet. In fact he was just approaching it as he started talking to Beerus. So you're saying Beerus went a lot farther in 20 seconds than Whis did in one minute.

Although a thought occurs to me, is it a coincidence that the time Beerus gave him (3 minutes) is the same time as the limit on his time reversal? Could that be involved somehow?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:59 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:But Whis started a lot closer to the planet. In fact he was just approaching it as he started talking to Beerus. So you're saying Beerus went a lot farther in 20 seconds than Whis did in one minute.

Although a thought occurs to me, is it a coincidence that the time Beerus gave him (3 minutes) is the same time as the limit on his time reversal? Could that be involved somehow?
Says who? It's very likely that Whis left from the temple as well. Whis had already been traveling for a small amount of time before approaching that planet hence him saying to Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left. Beerus had given him a time frame of 3 minutes meaning he'd been traveling for one minute before reaching that planet since Whis informs Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left.

So once again, Beerus did not reach the planet faster than Whis did. Both left from the temple. Whis reached it in a minute while it took Beerus longer to do so.

No idea about the time reversal, but nothing in that scene indicates anything about it. It'd be quite easy to notice the mechanics of Whis' time reversal ability.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:06 am

Birusu16 wrote:Says who? It's very likely that Whis left from the temple as well. Whis had already been traveling for a small amount of time before approaching that planet hence him saying to Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left. Beerus had given him a time frame of 3 minutes meaning he'd been traveling for one minute before reaching that planet since Whis informs Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left.
We see Whis already traveling in space when he starts talking to Beerus. Beerus is seen lying on a planet/temple somewhere. Meaning that Whis is in space and already on his way while Beerus is farther behind him and hasn't left yet. Meaning Whis was closer.
No idea about the time reversal, but nothing in that scene indicates anything about it. It'd be quite easy to notice the mechanics of Whis' time reversal ability.
What I was suggesting was that he gave him 3 minutes because he could reverse time up to that amount if he needed to undo something, but the way things played out he obviously didn't end up using it.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:12 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Birusu16 wrote:Says who? It's very likely that Whis left from the temple as well. Whis had already been traveling for a small amount of time before approaching that planet hence him saying to Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left. Beerus had given him a time frame of 3 minutes meaning he'd been traveling for one minute before reaching that planet since Whis informs Beerus that there's still 2 minutes left.
We see Whis already traveling in space when he starts talking to Beerus. Beerus is seen lying on a planet/temple somewhere. Meaning that Whis is in space and already on his way while Beerus is farther behind him and hasn't left yet. Meaning Whis was closer.
What I was suggesting was that he gave him 3 minutes because he could reverse time up to that amount if he needed to undo something, but the way things played out he obviously didn't end up using it.
1. No it doesn't. It just means Whis had already been traveling for a small amount of time. It doesn't in anyway mean he was closer to the planet when Beerus first gave him the time frame of 3 minutes. What likely happened was this:

-Whis and Beerus are on their homeworld
-Beerus wants Whis to go get dinosaur meat
-Gives him a time frame of 3 minutes
-Whis goes
-As he approaches the planet, Beerus contacts him and Whis says there's still 2 minutes left
-Beerus arrives on the planet and there's only 40 seconds left

So yea, Whis certainly got there faster than Beerus did. Whis got to the planet from the temple in one minute while it took Beerus a bit longer to get there.

2. Okay, so what was the point of bringing it up? :?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 am

You're assuming Beerus left right after he finished talking to Whis, when the implication is that at that point he was willing to wait, but he got impatient a minute later or so and left then.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:You're assuming Beerus left right after he finished talking to Whis, when the implication is that at that point he was willing to wait, but he got impatient a minute later or so and left then.
Because that's a fair assumption. Beerus was clearly getting impatient hence why he contacted Whis in the first place.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:41 am

Okay, let me look at the episode again.

13:08 - Whis says there is 2 minutes left. Right before this, Beerus is lounging in his chair, not looking like he's getting ready to go anywhere. But for the sake of argument, we can assume Beerus left right at this second.
14:16 - Whis is first seen on the planet. Meaning he took 2 minutes and 8 seconds maximum to get there.
15:29 - Whis says he has 40 seconds left (which introduces an inconsistency, since it's been 2 minutes and 21 seconds since Whis said there were 2 minutes left)

Okay, start over. I guess we can assume the scenes of the dinosaur being killed took place before the scene of Whis talking to Beerus. So let's only count the scenes with Whis.

13:08 - Whis says there is 2 minutes left. Beerus assumed departure time.
13:16 - Last scene of Whis in space as he approaches the planet
14:16 - Whis is first seen/heard on the planet. We'll assume this takes place immediately after 13:16
15:29 - Whis says he has 40 seconds left - 1 minute and 21 seconds after he said he had 2 minutes left. Close enough that the error is probably negligible, so it matches up! Meaning it took Whis a total of 1 minute and 8 seconds to reach the planet.
15:32 - Beerus is first heard on the planet (although his comment suggests he heard Whis' previous line, but let's just use this time anyway)

Therefore, at maximum, it took Beerus 2 minutes and 24 seconds to reach the planet. Slower than Whis, but it would make his speed just under half of Whis (around 47% to be precise).

I still don't like it. They shouldn't be that close... considering Whis' technique is their primary mode of transport and is considered to be so far above either one of their normal speeds, it cheapens its value if Beerus is that fast. You could even consider that Whis, being stronger, would also be faster himself, meaning that his own technique might only provide a small boost to his base speed, or not at all. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 am

I do believe Beerus got there with his own speed, but I don't believe he's as fast as Whis's ability. When they were both leaving it only took Whis about 10 seconds to leave the Solar System (was it a solar system?). Maybe the planet was quite nearby.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:01 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Okay, let me look at the episode again.

13:08 - Whis says there is 2 minutes left. Right before this, Beerus is lounging in his chair, not looking like he's getting ready to go anywhere. But for the sake of argument, we can assume Beerus left right at this second.
14:16 - Whis is first seen on the planet. Meaning he took 2 minutes and 8 seconds maximum to get there.
15:29 - Whis says he has 40 seconds left (which introduces an inconsistency, since it's been 2 minutes and 21 seconds since Whis said there were 2 minutes left)

Okay, start over. I guess we can assume the scenes of the dinosaur being killed took place before the scene of Whis talking to Beerus. So let's only count the scenes with Whis.

13:08 - Whis says there is 2 minutes left. Beerus assumed departure time.
13:16 - Last scene of Whis in space as he approaches the planet
14:16 - Whis is first seen/heard on the planet. We'll assume this takes place immediately after 13:16
15:29 - Whis says he has 40 seconds left - 1 minute and 21 seconds after he said he had 2 minutes left. Close enough that the error is probably negligible, so it matches up! Meaning it took Whis a total of 1 minute and 8 seconds to reach the planet.
15:32 - Beerus is first heard on the planet (although his comment suggests he heard Whis' previous line, but let's just use this time anyway)

Therefore, at maximum, it took Beerus 2 minutes and 24 seconds to reach the planet. Slower than Whis, but it would make his speed just under half of Whis (around 47% to be precise).

I still don't like it. They shouldn't be that close... considering Whis' technique is their primary mode of transport and is considered to be so far above either one of their normal speeds, it cheapens its value if Beerus is that fast. You could even consider that Whis, being stronger, would also be faster himself, meaning that his own technique might only provide a small boost to his base speed, or not at all. Doesn't make much sense to me.
There is no inconsistency there. Whis said there was still 2 minutes left when he was approaching the planet. More time (1 minute and 20 seconds to be specific) clearly passed after that, which is why there's only 40 seconds left when Beerus arrives.

And where was it said that Whis' technique is so far above their normal speed? It's a warping technique, which seems to allow them to cross dimensions hence why they probably use that instead of their regular speed. And like I said, the value for the ability isn't cheapened at all if you look at things from a certain perspective. Beerus is a lazy ass. He'd much rather hitch a ride than exert any effort required to travel somewhere. Whis' staff ability provides the perfect answer to that. It gives Beerus a way to get around extremely fast without having to exert any effort whatsoever. Guy can just place his hand on Whis' back and enjoy the ride.

It fits with Beerus' character.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

I resolved the inconsistency by assuming the scenes with the dinosaur being killed happened before Whis talked to Beerus. If you make that assumption, the times line up correctly.

I was just saying that it seems to sort of ruin the purpose of the technique... I get that Beerus doesn't like to waste effort, but the idea of Whis being Beerus' chauffer, as it were, is one of his main jobs, and making it not necessary seems wrong. Besides, like I mentioned there's the fact that Whis' own base speed might not be much slower than his technique, which is even more strange. As for the part about going between dimensions, if you assume Beerus' temple and that planet were in separate dimensions, then Beerus somehow crossed them without Whis' help. Unless the planet was in the same dimension as the temple...

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 am

What's the problem here?

Whis staff is probably faster in the long run

Beerus took less than 2 mins to reach the alien planet which would make him faster than the time Whis took to get there but the thing is Beerus is very lazy

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:16 am

The thing is I think the gap is too little... like imagine being able to run half as fast as your car can drive.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:19 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I resolved the inconsistency by assuming the scenes with the dinosaur being killed happened before Whis talked to Beerus. If you make that assumption, the times line up correctly.

I was just saying that it seems to sort of ruin the purpose of the technique... I get that Beerus doesn't like to waste effort, but the idea of Whis being Beerus' chauffer, as it were, is one of his main jobs, and making it not necessary seems wrong. Besides, like I mentioned there's the fact that Whis' own base speed might not be much slower than his technique, which is even more strange. As for the part about going between dimensions, if you assume Beerus' temple and that planet were in separate dimensions, then Beerus somehow crossed them without Whis' help. Unless the planet was in the same dimension as the temple...
It is still essential because Beerus never has any intention of getting up off his ass unless he absolutely has to or is too damn impatient to wait. Is it required? No, but I never believed Beerus needed somebody to drag him around the universe, so perhaps that's why we see this differently. As for the dimension part, I was referring to them being able to go from space to the other world. Those two realms clearly aren't in the same dimension. And perhaps Whis' ability doesn't require him to use any ki whatsoever and therefore doesn't have to bother with exerting any effort either.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Since Beerus is almost as fast as Whis staff and that staff can cross galactic distances in minutes that must mean Beeurs is really fast

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Yeah I think people have the staff at billions of times FTL. That's quite a lot. :lol:

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:Yeah I think people have the staff at billions of times FTL. That's quite a lot. :lol:
yep and Beerus should be almost as fast as it seeing as he went to the smae place in about give or take the same time as Whis did :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:51 pm

That didn't take long to get calculated.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:54 pm

That's all assuming that Beerus doesn't have some sort of technique to travel fast, kind of like teleportation or similar.