Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by Draconic » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:54 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Please don't compare that fetus-powered circle jerk to any transformation in DBZ.

That transformation scene was overdramatic for a form that makes Goku look like a fairy; the sequence in the movie was much more fitting for SSJG. Also, the entire thing was ruined by hideous art and the decision to make Videl turn randomly blonde.
Yeah, I would much rather have two toddlers achieve Super Saiyan just cause they... ah... just cause. Double standards man, double standards.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:the decision to make Videl turn randomly blonde.
How is this a bad thing at all? Episode Director Satou Masanori and Storyboard Artist Komura Toshi'aki could have very well chosen to do this on a whim, but why is that bad? Pretend her aura's is yellow because she is at the epicenter of a big golden light and it is reflecting on her. It's not a stretch, given ki seems to be passing through everyone into Gokuu.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Draconic wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Please don't compare that fetus-powered circle jerk to any transformation in DBZ.

That transformation scene was overdramatic for a form that makes Goku look like a fairy; the sequence in the movie was much more fitting for SSJG. Also, the entire thing was ruined by hideous art and the decision to make Videl turn randomly blonde.
Yeah, I would much rather have two toddlers achieve Super Saiyan just cause they... ah... just cause. Double standards man, double standards.
I don't like kid SSJs either, but I'm talking about the transformation sequence and method, not the actual form in question.

Truthfully, I like the concept of SSJG being a form unattainable through training alone. They just went a terrible direction with how it's attained.
How is this a bad thing at all? Episode Director Satou Masanori and Storyboard Artist Komura Toshi'aki could have very well chosen to do this on a whim, but why is that bad? Pretend her aura's is yellow because she is at the epicenter of a big golden light and it is reflecting on her. It's not a stretch, given ki seems to be passing through everyone into Gokuu.
Because it confused a lot of casuals into believing she's a SSJ. It was just an unnecessary addition. The movie didn't make her blond.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Because it confused a lot of casuals into believing she's a SSJ.
So? That's not the fault of the series, it's the fault of the inattentive viewer.
It was just an unnecessary addition. The movie didn't make her blond.
What does the movie have to do with anything? This is Satou and Komura's episode, not Hosoda Masahiro's film. "Hey, I like this idea and Series Director Chioka Kimitoshi is okay with it, so I'm going to use it!" is the only authority they need to listen to in creating a work of art that is their own.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Case in point, it's confusing, weird, and just serves no purpose besides making her gold like her pals.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:13 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Case in point, it's confusing, weird, and just serves no purpose besides making her gold like her pals.
It confuses a viewer paying no attention to the thing they're watching? That applies to anything in any activity ever.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:20 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Case in point, it's confusing, weird, and just serves no purpose besides making her gold like her pals.
It confuses a viewer paying no attention to the thing they're watching? That applies to anything in any activity ever.
Why did her hair turn blond, then? There's no real explanation, unless I really wasn't paying attention. As far as I can tell, the change is up for interpretation.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:That transformation scene was overdramatic for a form that makes Goku look like a fairy;
That's the entire point, it's a subversion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:24 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Why did her hair turn blond, then? There's no real explanation, unless I really wasn't paying attention. As far as I can tell, the change is up for interpretation.
There is no explanation. There doesn't need to be an explanation stated. If you're paying attention or have an sort of life experience you can easily put one together in your head and be done with it. It's a neat little thing not worth a second thought.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:That transformation scene was overdramatic for a form that makes Goku look like a fairy;
That's the entire point, it's a subversion.
SSJG is already a subversion. Adding a dramatic sequence before Goku attains the form is more like a slap in the face.
JulieYBM wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
There is no explanation. There doesn't need to be an explanation stated. If you're paying attention or have an sort of life experience you can easily put one together in your head and be done with it. It's a neat little thing not worth a second thought.
But within the context of the series, it's weird. lol. First thing that popped in my head was, "what the fizzityuck is this?"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:35 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:SSJG is already a subversion. Adding a dramatic sequence before Goku attains the form is more like a slap in the face.
That's THE POINT. You add a dramatic sequence and you expect some big, bulky and 'badass' transformation but instead you get a skinny one.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:SSJG is already a subversion. Adding a dramatic sequence before Goku attains the form is more like a slap in the face.
That's THE POINT. You add a dramatic sequence and you expect some big, bulky and 'badass' transformation but instead you get a skinny one.
But people already know about SSJG. If not from BoG, then from the opening of Super! We know what is coming after all that drama. It's just an added slap in the face. lol.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:59 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
But people already know about SSJG. If not from BoG, then from the opening of Super! We know what is coming after all that drama. It's just an added slap in the face. lol.
So anytime some manga gets an anime adaptation, every plot twist or moment is crappy because we already knew what was gonna happen? "Knowing what's gonna happen" is not an excuse to call something bad.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Doctor. wrote: So anytime some manga gets an anime adaptation, every plot twist or moment is crappy because we already knew what was gonna happen? "Knowing what's gonna happen" is not an excuse to call something bad.
Don't get me wrong. That scene is horrible for several other reasons. Also, a manga and anime adaptation are two different mediums. If anything, many people watch the latter to see their favorite scenes from the manga come to life.

SSJG has already appeared in an animated movie, and again in the opening of Super every single time you watch a new episode, so that scene is not subverting any expectations--neither were any of the transformations in DBZ. It's just over-dramatizing a sequence for a cute/lame transformation. The payoff in DBZ was grand; the payoff here... is a slap in the face. lol.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:15 pm

I hope by "fairy" you mean little winged creatures like Tinkerbell and Navi.
-Rachel

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:22 pm

TripleRach wrote:
I hope by "fairy" you mean little winged creatures like Tinkerbell and Navi.
*Goes to urban dictionary*

I had no idea there was another interpretation of that word besides the Tinkerbell kind of fairy. lol.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Derogatory meaning aside, a fairy is historically a being with magical powers, so it fits Goku.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:Derogatory meaning aside, a fairy is historically a being with magical powers, so it fits Goku.
Since when does Goku have magical pow--*thinks of scene where he regenerates*

*gasp*

He is a fairy.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:30 pm

Just an aside to those complaining about pacing, I've got a solution. Just watch the episode recaps alone. Honestly, they're like one-minute sports highlights that succinctly explain 20 minutes of material.

Personally pacing is a huge issue for me, but I've come to enjoy hearing the narration summaries each week.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:32 am

Why are people complaining about the pacing :?: its pretty normal for a dragon ball series,theres a reason why you often see some jokes about dragon ball like''Goku will take an entire episode to fire a kamehameha''.I remember the Freeza vs. Goku fight lasting 19 episodes,Gohan vs. Cell around 3 hours,Saiyan taking 16 episodes to reach earth or Goku creating a Genki dama for about 2-3 episodes,and about the SSG transformation,there's nothing wrong with that,i remeber in Buu saga Goku screaming for 3/4 of the episode for his SSJ3 Transformation and in my opinion,i think that the SSG transformation i really good and unique for a dragon ball series,it certainly shuts people who always says''DBZ is all about screaming,making your muscles bigger,staring etc..''