"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by bubibartra » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Araki wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: 16 - One day, Kuririn goes to visit Goku. His surprising request is...?
This one got me intrigued. What would be "surprising"? Maybe Kuririn was disappointed for not doing anything at all against Beerus and will ask for Goku to train him a little?
He said he was retired, but we know by the time Freeza arrives he won't be anymore.
alakazam^ wrote:About the Vegeta training with Whis thing, I totally agree it not being mentioned in the summaries proves nothing BUT they specifically saying that Goku leaves Earth to train with him is a giant red flag that he goes alone because it's (one of) the focus of the episode and there's no reason to omit Vegeta's name. If Goku goes alone and Vegeta finds out about it and wants to go as well, I'd imagine they'd devote an entire episode for that but judging from the summaries, there's no time for that because we'll be getting Freeza stuff. So, my bet is that Vegeta doesn't go but we'll see.
We know 16 is titled "Vegeta becomes a disciple". What if Vegeta gets there BEFORE Goku? That is why it wouldn't mention him alongside Goku.

I think Satan's "terrible visitor" in episode 15 will be Whis, as we know Satan is bribing him and offering food to stop the fight. Then Whis goes after his payment, once the crisis is over. Maybe that's when Vegeta meets him, leading to the events in episode 16. Just a theory, but nothing far-fetched.

Zetto wrote:What Dragon Ball ending isn't a chill or a love song?
Yeah, i'd love to have the internet when Romantic Ageru Yo was around, because it was so fitting. Or seeing fan reception to Zenkai Power :lol:
I can't remember a single DB/Z/GT ending that "featured action", unless it was stills. That's not what ending sequences are known for, anyway.

it may be that Goku stay training with Krillin and see the birth of his granddaughter and then go with Whiss and Vegeta
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:19 pm

It seems like Super is going to continue the trend of having me be torn on basically everything involved with it for the time being. I'm starting to feel a bit of fatigue with the retelling. It'll never be as bad as some people are feeling it, where they just want to drop the entire show, but I would really like to get to the new content sooner rather than later. It seems Jaco is arriving on Earth to warn them about Freeza in episode 20, which isn't exactly where I was hoping we'd be by then. I appreciate the downtime episodes. I really, really do, but if the Golden Freeza Arc is going to be extended the same way the Beerus Arc material was, then it seems we may have to wait until late February or early March before we reach Universe 6, instead of around January as we were hoping. That's a little rough on a weekly schedule.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:43 pm

irreality wrote:It could be both. He drops out of SSG, and when he tries to transform into SSJ again, he gets SSGSS. Which is what I think makes logical sense to have happened in BoG in retrospect, but given that form didn't exist when they made the movie, maybe they will fix it now.
It would be nice if they go by this way you described
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:56 pm

They are not going to show their initial SSGSS transformations, and they are not going to show Vegeta go SSJG. There will be a time skip after episode 16--which is a slice of life side story, by the way--and everything will happen, more or less, as it did in F, with some changes here and there, as well as shoddy animation during several key moments.

Baba told me so.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 pm

No! It can't be! They must show how Vegeta achieved SSJG (flashback), how Freeza trained and achieved his Golden Form (flashback) and how and why Goku and Vegeta went to train with Whis (actual scenes), please do it TOEI
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Araki wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: 16 - One day, Kuririn goes to visit Goku. His surprising request is...?
This one got me intrigued. What would be "surprising"? Maybe Kuririn was disappointed for not doing anything at all against Beerus and will ask for Goku to train him a little?
He said he was retired, but we know by the time Freeza arrives he won't be anymore.
Maybe but I'm more likely to believe he ask Goku for some of that money he got from Satan. They have to setup him getting a job as a cop some how which came out of nowhere in the movie. Plus he doesn't shave his head until after they are aware of freezas imminent return.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:Maybe but I'm more likely to believe he ask Goku for some of that money he got from Satan. They have to setup him getting a job as a cop some how which came out of nowhere in the movie. Plus he doesn't shave his head until after they are aware of freezas imminent return.
Yeah, but he didn't hesitate to shave and go to fight Freeza, while vs Beerus, he was entirely against fighting, staying behind instead. Even as a cop, we see that he is back in action, too. So i think maybe his reactions were setting up something, especially when Chi Chi called him out for letting #18 fighting in his place.

Besides, would money be a surprising request? #18 is always after money. I'm personally hoping he's gonna ask Goku for help because he's determined to protect his family.
Last edited by Araki on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, it's nice to see we'll be getting a few episodes of new content before entering the next movie retelling arc. The pace of recent episodes feels very slow, and the fact that it's rehashing content we already know makes it feel even slower. The longer Gokuu vs. Beerus fight is nice, but they probably could've cut it down by an episode.

I just hope the "intermission" between Battle of Gods and Resurrection F brings more comedy gold like the Vegeta vacation episode :D
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:48 pm

So them showing SSGSS prior might still happen, but seems no SSG Vegeta thank God but seems they're going to gloss over Freeza's training too. Which I am honestly glad now since its just going to add up the episode count of the arc and honestly Feeeza punching a bunch of rocks doesn't sound exciting. Also still no mention of Champa! Gahh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So them showing SSGSS prior might still happen, but seems no SSG Vegeta thank God but seems they're going to gloss over Freeza's training too. Which I am honestly glad now since its just going to add up the episode count of the arc and honestly Feeeza punching a bunch of rocks doesn't sound exciting. Also still no mention of Champa! Gahh.
Like I said above, it's possible that episode 20 is just Sorbet and Tagoma coming to Earth, considering Freeza appears for the first time in episode 19. It'd be an incredibly short time to stuff in Freeza's resurrection, then his training and then his invasion in just one episode, especially considering how Super likes to pad staff out instead of cutting it.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Anime News Network did another podcast with Funimation and in it Justin Rojas said they still don't have Super. The New York Comic-Con panel is just an acknowledgment that it exists.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Toei must be holding off Super from Funimation. I doubt they want Kai to be finished on TV first. That would be dumb since we all know the story for the series. It's not like with GT where they had to finish Z first since it won't make sense to dub GT before Z was finish airing. Even with Super comes out late, it will still sell well since a lot of casual fans still probably haven't seen it yet because it's not dub. Dragon Ball is one of the few animes that is more popular dubbed then subbed. That's why the Japanese voice cast is not as popular with casual fans like it is with us. Only a niche group of fans download fan subs while most casual anime fans watch anime on TV or on streaming websites like Cruchyroll, Hulu and Netflix.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So them showing SSGSS prior might still happen, but seems no SSG Vegeta thank God but seems they're going to gloss over Freeza's training too. Which I am honestly glad now since its just going to add up the episode count of the arc and honestly Feeeza punching a bunch of rocks doesn't sound exciting. Also still no mention of Champa! Gahh.
Besides what Doctor. said, these very short summaries obviously don't say everything the episodes will cover. There's no sign of things we know are coming, like Satan trying to bribe Whis or "Vegeta becoming a disciple", Vegeta isn't even mentioned. And maybe they are avoiding major spoilers, episode 20 is still so far away...
Doctor. wrote:Like I said above, it's possible that episode 20 is just Sorbet and Tagoma coming to Earth, considering Freeza appears for the first time in episode 19. It'd be an incredibly short time to stuff in Freeza's resurrection, then his training and then his invasion in just one episode, especially considering how Super likes to pad staff out instead of cutting it.
I think the threat is indeed Freeza, but Jaco might be just coming to tell he was revived (in episode 19) and will be targeting Earth in the near future.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:14 pm

I was expecting around 10 episodes bridging the gap between between BoG and RoF (you know, actual new content), but no, we get half of that and the 'filler' continues...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:16 pm

alakazam^ wrote: 13 - SSG Goku and Beerus'« battle becomes even more intense.
14 - During their battle, SSG Goku has an unexpected change.
15 - After the battle with Beerus, an unexpected visitor comes to visit Satan.
16 - One day, Kuririn goes to visit Goku. His surprising request is...?
17 - A little while passes, Gohan's and Videl's daughter is finally born!

18 - Goku leaves Earth to go train with Whis. His surprising training method is...?

19 - Goku is making an effort training under Whis. At the meantime, "that man" is agonizing in Hell.
20 - A never-before-felt threat is approaching Earth! Meanwhile, an old friend of Bulma's comes by...
Holy cow, so many episodes revealed!! That's some good potential right there. Great choices. :clap:
I'm glad they will post some new content between BOG and ROF to make the transition smoother.

15-18 are the episodes I'm looking for. I wonder if Champa/Whis Waifu will finally debut.

Anyway after 90s, I never thought I would be this excited for just knowing episode titles. Dragon Ball Forever!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:18 pm

I was actually expecting less filler episodes in between. I'm fine with this actually. The U diverse 6 arc is going to happen regardless so if it means waiting a month or two longer so be it, it's not going anywhere.

Sounds like it could be interesting. I do hope Champa appears at least.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:24 pm

I don't think Champa will appears on the next episodes.
http://toei-animation.com/fr/content/dragon-ball-super
I'm french, so in the Toei Animation website, it said than "After the God of Destruction Beerus [...] and after the Resurrection of Freezer [...] a newly character even more mysterious will take part of this new Dragon Ball series !"

I'm pretty sure Champa will appears AFTER the Resurrection of Freezer arc.
But i hope he will appear when Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis. Would be fun.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:25 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Even still, First Form Freeza is leagues above Zarbon and Dodoria. Still nothing by Piccolo's level by now, you're right. But Piccolo's been fighting hundreds of goons and he's fairly worked up by the time he fights Shisame. But the power level of even Zarbon in his monster form should still be nothing to even ab exhausted Piccolo. At least someone as strong as First Form Freeza might give a better explanation as to why Piccolo is having a bit of a hard time.
But it was said that the word used to compare them was vague enough that it could mean rank, not strength. We also have the manga that states Shisami wasn't even number two in the army, if that's to be trusted.
Araki wrote:We know 16 is titled "Vegeta becomes a disciple". What if Vegeta gets there BEFORE Goku? That is why it wouldn't mention him alongside Goku.
Oh, you're right! Totally forgot about that... nevermind, then.
Last edited by alakazam^ on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:25 pm

I wonder who will visit Mr. Satan?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Bullza wrote:I was actually expecting less filler episodes in between.
This time, the filler is BoG/RoF content. Those five episodes in-between are the opposite of filler.