Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:56 am

kei17 wrote:For your information, Burter occasionally speaks in a feminine way in the original Japanese version.
That's interesting. I never knew that. It would be cool if it was represented like that over here in English. Was it like that in the manga, too?

Not that this excuses Jeese's accent in the least.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 am

batistabus wrote:
kei17 wrote:For your information, Burter occasionally speaks in a feminine way in the original Japanese version.
That's interesting. I never knew that. It would be cool if it was represented like that over here in English. Was it like that in the manga, too?

I've always found Burter sounding gay-ish in the Japanese version.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Probably but we can hope to get a release.. or beg for one :/

So it's not odd to have every character speak in a mid-western/North American accent? So to you guys, Lets say if it were to be dubbed by Aussies or Scots or even Brits, would it be okay if all the characters had British-type accents?
It has nothing to do with the accent, it's that they're getting a Canadian man to use a foreign accent because they think it for some reason suits the character. If there was a consistent British dub where everyone had British accents, I'd be fine with that.
Scott McNiel is actually Australian.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, whatever. It's still a foreign accent he had to do. But this Burter development is interesting.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Isn't that kind of the point though? Aren't the Ginyu Tokusentai suppose to be flamboyant and over-the-top comic relief? Just out of curiosity though, how would you describe the speaking patterns of the four members?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 pm

batistabus wrote:

I'm surprised Vic didn't play that up (he probably wasn't told anything like that existed in the original version). He can illustrate a flamboyance in his voice if he so chooses i.e. Tamaki in Ouran.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Scott McNeil is a versatile and talented voice actor. He is actually able to portray a British accent well. In Jeice's case, it's a Brummie (Midlands) accent. There is no validity in some of the comments regarding the accent he gave Jeice. The Brummie accent was good. it wasn't as "heavy" as the accent you'd find in the Midlands but it wasn't far off. He made it believable. I would want Scott to keep the Brummie accent he gave Jeice or better still, go for a southern British accent.

Some of you calling a British English accent "foreign" should perhaps consider going back to school and learn where the English language originated from.

Then come back and tell me who has the "foreign" English accent.
batistabus wrote:It's Toei's job to tamper with the show...they produced it and put the whole thing together.
Producing a new musical score for a recut version of DBZ; fine.

Replacing said new musical score with rushed, limited and repetitive old score not intended for the new recut of DBZ; not fine.

In such a case, replacing the music should be a condition for licensing the rights to produce a dub.
batistabus wrote:If Avatar the Last Airbender got a replacement score overseas, and was replaced by some type of rock music, it just wouldn't be the same show.
Avatar got beaten by DBZ Kai in a popularity poll. A Nicktoons home made show that was on US Nicktoons for quite some time got beaten by a new show which had been on US Nicktoons for only a few months prior to the poll. Kids prefer DBZ Kai to Avatar the Last airbender and it's no surprise. DBZ Kai is exciting and visually pleasing, Avatar the Last airbender is boring and looks like a cheap Anime wanabee.

But at least Nicktoons was honest enough to report that DBZ Kai won the popularity poll.
batistabus wrote:Kai placement ain't even that bad. It's especially not bad enough to warrant an entire replacement score.
It is bad, so bad that people who really like Kikuchi's music are calling for replacement music. Toei can only use a quarter (approx) of Kikuchi's DB related music due to them being unwilling to pay more for more tracks. Let's call that quarter a 'pool'.; Out of that pool, they take a handful of tracks and repeat them on most episodes. As for the remaining themes in that pool, they take some every now and then and place them randomly.

The rest of the music in that pool isn't even used. So Toei are limiting themselves even beyond what limited amount they can use. Such disregard for the show shouldn't be tolerated if it can be helped.
batistabus wrote:Kikuchi is an award-nominated composer. If they get someone who can compete with that, then we'll talk.
Three names: Tom Keenlyside, John Mitchell and David Iris.

I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing that Kikuchi is a poor composer. Kikuchi is a very good composer and if his music is utilised properly, it can be fantastic. The problem is Toei and their sound editors. They are making someone as good as Kikuchi look bad.
batistabus wrote:I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with fans disliking the Kikuchi score. How do I know that fans don't care? I can't speak for all fans, bu I've introduced at least 10 friends to Dragon Ball through Kai, and while marathoning the sets, nobody mentioned anything about the change of music. Maybe they didn't notice it, maybe they thought it just changed with the Arc, but there was never a complaint. I can't speak for everyone, but the casual fan likely just doesn't notice or care. Decreases in sales are likely more a result of a decrease in promotion by FUNimation, the change in plot, or the general availability of the volumes. At least where I live, I haven't seen anything past Volume 3. Again, this is just from personal experience and observation, but I'm sure it's not just contained to my area.
I'd say that the Kikuchi replacement music is a factor in the decrease in DVD/Blu Ray sales.

As far as US Nicktoons TV broadcasts go, when the Yamamoto music was being used, we were given a good amount of news regarding Kai's high ratings. Kai with Yamamoto was the highest rated new show in Nicktoons' history, ever. Kai with Yamamoto smashed TV ratings. Kai with Yamamoto helped Nicktoons beat a rival channel (Disney XD) soundly in the ratings on one of the US holiday periods, despite Disney XD apparently being in 60 million more homes than Nicktoons, in the US. Kai with Yamamoto is/was the highest rated show on the US 4kids Toonzai morning block.

Kai with Kikuchi? Not much is being bragged about, and I think it's because of a decrease in ratings.
batistabus wrote:Edit: And by fans, I mean newcomers to the series.
I don't see why new fans wouldn't recognise the change in music. New fans had no problem recognising and complaining about the change from Levy to Faulconer back then.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Please. I very much doubt the Kikuchi music is causing a lot of lost sales. Fact (probably) is, the average viewer doesn't care what music is playing when their favorite characters are beating the crap out of each other. Only a select few of us geeks do.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 am

RazorX wrote:I'd say that the Kikuchi replacement music is a factor in the decrease in DVD/Blu Ray sales.
I'd say the triple-canibalization (quadruple, if you count the orange bricks still on my Target and Best Buy shelves) of having competing products on the market is having a far larger effect.

I think you're just making up an argument you want to be valid.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:02 am

RazorX wrote:Scott McNeil is a versatile and talented voice actor. He is actually able to portray a British accent well. In Jeice's case, it's a Brummie (Midlands) accent. There is no validity in some of the comments regarding the accent he gave Jeice. The Brummie accent was good. it wasn't as "heavy" as the accent you'd find in the Midlands but it wasn't far off. He made it believable. I would want Scott to keep the Brummie accent he gave Jeice or better still, go for a southern British accent.

Some of you calling a British English accent "foreign" should perhaps consider going back to school and learn where the English language originated from.

That's all fine and dandy, but it still makes absolutely no sense for him to have a different accent than every other character. I'm not insulting McNeil's ability to do the accent.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:07 am

batistabus wrote:Was it like that in the manga, too?
No, it wasn't.
andrewtuell1991 wrote:Just out of curiosity though, how would you describe the speaking patterns of the four members?
I refer to Z because I didn't care much about that while watching Kai. Ginyu speaks like a typical captain, and Jeice speaks like an athletic type teenager who is a little bit authoritarian. Recoom sounds extremely droll and frank, and Guldo speaks like a bullied child who is forcing himself to speak wildly.
penguintruth wrote:Please. I very much doubt the Kikuchi music is causing a lot of lost sales. Fact (probably) is, the average viewer doesn't care what music is playing when their favorite characters are beating the crap out of each other. Only a select few of us geeks do.
So true. Speaking about this would be against some rules here, but I want to refer to my experience here: I once uploaded the whole DBZ movie 8 with the Yamamoto score I placed to a Japanese video sharing site just to troll people, and I really laughed at their responses because most of them didn't realized the score was different, and some even said the music brought back old memories. :lol: (Of cource I deleted the video after seeing some hilarious comments!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:13 am

penguintruth wrote:Please. I very much doubt the Kikuchi music is causing a lot of lost sales. Fact (probably) is, the average viewer doesn't care what music is playing when their favorite characters are beating the crap out of each other. Only a select few of us geeks do.
I don't know about that. I've seen countless instances of "I want Faulconer back!" on YouTube videos. I can't relate to that, but there are plenty of people who detest any non-Faulconer music.

Also, do we know for a fact that DVD/Blu-Ray sales have decreased?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I don't know about that. I've seen countless instances of "I want Faulconer back!" on YouTube videos. I can't relate to that, but there are plenty of people who detest any non-Faulconer music.
You shouldn't ever make conclusions based on YT comments. Just because they're the most vocal doesn't mean they're the majority. The majority of people buying wouldn't be commenting on videos anyways.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Also, do we know for a fact that DVD/Blu-Ray sales have decreased?
I don't think so.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jordanator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 am

I really hope we get some news on this soon. I'm keen to find out who's playing Goku. Personally I'd love Corlett to return, but I'm open to a new actor, provided he does a good job! Also, let me get this right, at the present moment, we have no confirmation of Drummond being recast to play Vegeta, right? Not even any hints etc.? (Twitter, Facebook)
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 am

jordanator wrote:Also, let me get this right, at the present moment, we have no confirmation of Drummond being recast to play Vegeta, right? Not even any hints etc.? (Twitter, Facebook)
Nope, only confirmation we have so far is Scott McNeil as Piccolo, Jeice and Dr Briefs.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:46 am

RazorX wrote:Some of you calling a British English accent "foreign" should perhaps consider going back to school and learn where the English language originated from.

I know where the language originated from, and it still doesn't matter. Hundreds of years of separation from the British Empire, along with a few oceans, have created perfectly valid regional variants of English throughout the world. Blame the ancient Englishmen for spreading the language around and not being able to force it to stay in sync with UK English. The British don't exactly speak Old English, either, so there's been plenty of change everywhere.

But yes, British accents absolutely are foreign to Canadians and Americans, because that's not how they speak normally, and it's unique to a country hundreds of miles (or kilometers) away. Obviously everyone has an accent of some sort, and this whole argument has been about whether to put on different accents or not.
-Rachel

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 am

Gonstead wrote:
jordanator wrote:Also, let me get this right, at the present moment, we have no confirmation of Drummond being recast to play Vegeta, right? Not even any hints etc.? (Twitter, Facebook)
Nope, only confirmation we have so far is Scott McNeil as Piccolo, Jeice and Dr Briefs.
We can also assume Lee Tockar is voicing Freeza. Scott McNeil doesn't care about the NDA, Lee Tockar does. :)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:35 am

SSJSteve wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
We can also assume Lee Tockar is voicing Freeza. Scott McNeil doesn't care about the NDA, Lee Tockar does. :)
Ahh yes, forgot about Tockar.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 am

What I really want to know is who's in charge of casting this dub. It sounds like they at least tried to audition all of the last known voice actors to play their respective characters in the Westwood dub, because both Kirby Morrow and Scott McNeil auditioned. Morrow is not coming back, but McNeil is. Presumably, if the same people in charge of the Westwood dub were casting the Kai dub, they would just bring back the same voice actors without the need for auditioning.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jordanator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 pm

SSJSteve wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
Great, so far, so good IMO. :D
I understand the fact that we have very little info on the whole subject of an ''Ocean Kai'', but is there any info out there at all regarding other voice actors being cast? Maybe ones that aren't well known?

Oh, and just a general question (to everyone). How do you feel about the roles being recast in Ocean's Kai? Are there any roles that you would like new VA's for, or possibly kept the same? For me, I'd want Drummond, Corlett, and McNeil back to voice their previous character's as my core actors. I'm open to hearing a new child Gohan, and I certainly wouldn't mind hearing a new Freeza.
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.