Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:41 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:59 pm Don't jump to conclusions because of some concept art. For all we know, Pan will recieve five seconds of screen time.
This. After so much focus on Goku and Vegeta, no way they're going to sideline them for an obscure character like Pan - especially in a feature film. I can see her getting an episode in a future series like in Super, but she's nowhere important enough yet to warrant a lead/main role in a MOVIE, no less.
I second this. She'll get maybe a minute of screentime and then be put in the background with the rest of the supporting cast. It'll be just like the glorified cameos Beerus and Whis got in DBS Broly.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:09 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:59 pm Don't jump to conclusions because of some concept art. For all we know, Pan will recieve five seconds of screen time.
This. After so much focus on Goku and Vegeta, no way they're going to sideline them for an obscure character like Pan - especially in a feature film. I can see her getting an episode in a future series like in Super, but she's nowhere important enough yet to warrant a lead/main role in a MOVIE, no less.
I second this. She'll get maybe a minute of screentime and then be put in the background with the rest of the supporting cast. It'll be just like the glorified cameos Beerus and Whis got in DBS Broly.
As much as I would love to disagree with your take I simply can't.

It's the Goku and Vegeta show and has been for years, and everyone else is just background decoration pretty much. Goku & Vegeta also bring in revenue which hasn't failed the creators so far, so why try something new if it ain't broken?

I just can't imagine seeing anyone other than those two being the central figures of this film from either a story perspective or a combat perspective.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:21 am

omaro34 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:42 pm

As much as I would love to disagree with your take I simply can't.

It's the Goku and Vegeta show and has been for years, and everyone else is just background decoration pretty much. Goku & Vegeta also bring in revenue which hasn't failed the creators so far, so why try something new if it ain't broken?

I just can't imagine seeing anyone other than those two being the central figures of this film from either a story perspective or a combat perspective.
Actually in the TOP, Vegeta's role was greatly reduced in the anime until near the end of the arc. Before the final showdown with U11, Gohan had the most screen time after Goku. And Vegeta was knocked out before Goku completed UI and the final characters were 17 and Frieza with Vegeta in the loser's section.

And it has been shown Goku by himself can carry anything. They don't really need Vegeta. Goku with any character does well.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:32 am

I want Pan to have three grandpas, Goku, Satan and Piccolo.
Also a demostration of affection between them (mainly with Piccolo).

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:47 am

GatoF wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:32 am I want Pan to have three grandpas, Goku, Satan and Piccolo.
Also a demostration of affection between them (mainly with Piccolo).
I mean, she does and how lucky is that. Some of us don't even have 1 grandpa, but she has 3 awesome ones!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:25 pm

You mean she has two. Like she's ever going to see Goku when he's spending every waking moment training. lol

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Piccolo got a mailbox because Goku needs to mail child support cheques to him lmaoo
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:58 am

As anyone else pointed out, we get to see really minor Piccolo design, weird looking but interesting new characters with no info on them, but I can bet on 70% chance that the movie will be Goku with Vegeta behind show...

But maybe, they will surprise and we will get some big ensemble fun. I really liked BOG with revisiting all the characters from the end of Buu arc and after Ressurection F, which was shallow and then only Goku, Vegeta, Broly skirmish that was actually fun, I would love to see some bigger scope of characters and some adventure with the certainity that Goku will again fight the possible big boss and save the day.

I just really hope they don't half-ass the visual style, but frankly, everything is better than up-to-date Yamamuro.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 am

In my ideal world, Goku and Vegeta would be busy training off world somewhere, and the others won't be able to rely on their literal godly powers. Then other characters would get their chance to be the heroes. But the chances of Goku not showing up to fight in the movie are virtually zero. Maybe we'll at least get some time before he shows up.

Also, since we're getting a time skip, what happened with Broly? He probably won't come up in this movie, but has Goku never visited Vampa in all this time? Has he gone there on occasion to spar with Broly? Did Broly get stronger, or find any new transformations? Did he and Cheelai have a green skinned, half-Saiyan baby?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:16 pm

I doubt that Goku is going to be sidelined in this movie, but that doesn’t mean Pan can’t get some focus. I’m just curious about what the conflict of this movie will be, if it really is supposed to be more unconventional than the past couple of movies.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 pm

I mean, there is a very big reason why so many people are predicting that Pan will have a big role in this film. She's the "unexpected character" that Toriyama was talking about.
Toriyama wrote:Apparently, its content is still under wraps, so I can’t talk about it, but I think it’ll be a real hoot, with a bit of an unexpected character playing a big role.
In the stream from a couple of weeks ago, Akio Iyoku confirms that she plays an integral role in the film. She definitely fits the description of "unexpected character". I don't think anyone predicted that. Pan doesn't have to be the only lead role in the film. It could be a movie about her and Goku (...and possible Gohan? But that's me being hopeful).

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:30 am

But there is only one Super Hero.

It's Great Saiyaman

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:32 am

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:30 am But there is only one Super Hero.

It's Great Saiyaman
No. There is another...

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:18 pm

I hope we get introduced to a multiverse hero organization and they've come to recruit Goku.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:11 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:18 pm I hope we get introduced to a multiverse hero organization and they've come to recruit Goku.
Soon or later, we'll see this :D

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Gt91 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:11 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:18 pm I hope we get introduced to a multiverse hero organization and they've come to recruit Goku.
Soon or later, we'll see this :D
I hope so, I think it would be a great way to showcase other characters. The story could switch between whatever Goku and Vegeta are doing to showing someone like Piccolo or Tien on a hero mission.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:58 am

I wonder why they went with such a drastic deviation from DBS Broly to this hybrid 2-D/CGI mess :x. They should have stuck to the forumla of the last movie which worked great: Rebooted classic movie villian, keep it fun & PG, ABSOLUTELY keep it 2-D hand drawn ONLY w/ the Shintani style & Yuya/Shida leading the charge on the animation front, hit key moments/scenes hard, the rest of the story can be whatever as long as its serviceable. BOOM 100 million+ grossing DB movie.

I'm cautiously optimistic at best that this movie will be a success because from the looks of that comic con video they did not put their best foot forward in trying to ease concerns IMO.
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 am

In all likelihood, they just don't have time or staff to do a hand drawn film.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 am In all likelihood, they just don't have time or staff to do a hand drawn film.
Has anyone found out if its a hard rule @ Toei that they have to make a db film every 3 years? I feel we've been waiting this long why not wait another year or 2 for the animators to free up? Financially the franchise is still #1 both at Toei & Bandai even after Super has been off the air all these years so it can't be about a lack of revenue/money.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:26 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:03 am In all likelihood, they just don't have time or staff to do a hand drawn film.
Has anyone found out if its a hard rule @ Toei that they have to make a db film every 3 years? I feel we've been waiting this long why not wait another year or 2 for the animators to free up? Financially the franchise is still #1 both at Toei & Bandai even after Super has been off the air all these years so it can't be about a lack of revenue/money.
It's being made now because the production committee wants it now. Simple as that. I also imagine that for Toei Animation as a business they want to develop their 3DCG capabilities so as to appeal to foreign markets and prepare for a future in which 3DCG animation is needed for a greater number of projects.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️