Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Once again someone innocent is not going to have multiple women across a large gap of time with little connection saying the same thing about you.

Do you know how much effort and time it would take for all these women to be lying about Vic? Even if Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi were lying the other women coming out were still likely harassed by Vic.

Too many stories for Vic to have never done anything.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
BlueChi wrote: Instead of being livid at the "what difference does it make?" remark, I'll just try and enjoy the very darkly humorous fact that someone who's insulting others over not buying the severity of Vic's hugs and pats is telling someone who went through sexual assault what basically amounts to "lol, what do you know?".
...Hey Julie, thoughts? Concerns?
I already addressed Julie. I was talking to you now. If you have to send in someone else to mouthpiece for you, maybe you'd have a more productive time just laying low
rather than feigning to champion empathy while lacking that very trait.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
TheNingen wrote:They have EVERYTHING to gain coming forward. They don't like Vic.
Maybe they don't like Vic because he sexually assaulted them.

This is the most utterly ridiculous line of thinking when it comes to situations like these, and it's got a perfect parallel in the whole Brett Kavanaugh situation. People kept saying, "oh this is a power play by the Democrats, they put multiple women up to falsely accusing Brett Kavanaugh".

Okay, smart guys, if it was just a power play...you ever heard of a little guy named Neil Gorsuch? You know, the SCOTUS judge installed by President Trump before Kavanaugh? The one whom the Democrats might've actually had a semi-legitimate reason to try to pull some shady shit with given the fact that the open seat was completely stolen from them by the Republican fuckasses in Congress?

Where were the sexual assault allegations then? Why didn't the Democrats open up on Gorsuch?

Maybe because Neil Gorsuch never sexually assaulted anyone.

So where are the mass sexual assault allegations against, oh say, Sean Schemmel? After all, it's no secret that Sean isn't particularly well-liked in some professional circles. I know we've got a single account out there somewhere, but where is the wave of voice actor colleagues coming forward to falsely accuse him of crimes he didn't commit?

Maybe because he didn't commit dozens of sexual assaults. Thus the lack of allegations.
Do not conflate the situations between Vic and Kavanaugh. They're entirely different in terms of severity and you're being disrespectful and obtuse on the matter.

Sean and Vic have different decorum. They act differently. They have different upbringings, and different everything. A line needs to be drawn. If a hug and a kiss is viewed as sexual assault, that literally means ANYTHING down the line of such things will be sexual assault and can be used as such if a person gets upset with anyone. And if he did sexually assault them, Sean, Sonny, Chris, Monica, and Funimation are ALL accessories to harboring a known sexual assaulter in their ranks and doing next to nothing about it for years on end. You cannot tell me the higher ups at Funimation wouldn't or didn't know. Or anyone in a position of power that worked with him. Vic is not a powerful voice actor. He does not have the power in the industry that a Kavanaugh or Gorsuch do in their respective fields. This is why it is disingenuous to even begin to compare them in a focused, non-general manner and you are doing zero favors to the discussion by doing so.

If this was prevalent, if there was evidence, if there were so many people who had a problem, WHY was he not dealt with earlier? Why was he not canned and arrested years ago? Why is it now, during the success of the Broly movie that there's a problem? Why is Monical Rial flirting with Vic and acting like a schoolgirl when she's so afraid? You can argue she's being professional. You don't flirt with someone with emojis and then say you're afraid. That's crap. You are failing to acknowledge that there are problems with both sides and that both sides have legitimate arguments as to why the other is full of crap. The reason Vic was even canned was because producers and funding threatened to walk out if they didn't get rid of Vic. Funi was strong armed into it via money.

Also @Miguel --At least in my point of view, I'm not dismissing the idea that SOMETHING happened. I do think the severity and hyperbole of the many of the stories is ridiculous and too extreme to the point that it cannot be viewed as credible. Creepy and weird behavior, sure. Someone kissing minors on the cheek, or hugging them to many may set off a red flag. But again CONTEXT is what matters. You have people flat out saying he just grabbed them and made out with them. You (You being general here, not you specifically) cannot say that if such a situation happened, someone would not have recorded or done anything about it. Especially when it's said it was done at his public booth. With people waiting in line and walking around, somebody would've caught it. Somebody would've taken a video or photo or something. This is why context and evidence matters to the entirety of the argument.
Last edited by TheNingen on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

BlueChi wrote: I already addressed Julie. I was talking to you now. If you have to send in someone else to mouthpiece for you, maybe you'd have a more productive time just laying low
lol

"Don't tell a sexual assault survivior about sexual assault."

"Hey, other sexual assault survivor with the contrasting opinion, what do you think?"

"SHUTUP OKAY THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T COUNT"

Nobody is questioning what you went through, you're the one questioning other peoples' experiences and that's abhorrent as well as ironic as all fuck, given your apparent fixation on "empathy". Please go put your 1st Place Assault Survivor trophy back in its case.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
BlueChi wrote: I already addressed Julie. I was talking to you now. If you have to send in someone else to mouthpiece for you, maybe you'd have a more productive time just laying low
lol

"Don't tell a sexual assault survivior about sexual assault."

"Hey, other sexual assault survivor with the contrasting opinion, what do you think?"

"SHUTUP OKAY THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T COUNT"

Nobody is questioning what you went through, you're the one questioning other peoples' experiences and that's abhorrent as well as ironic as all fuck, given your apparent fixation on "empathy". Please go put your 1st Place Assault Survivor trophy back in its case.
Whatever Julie has to say on the matter counts. Maybe we'd agree, maybe we'd disagree but that we'll only be seen if/when she replies. Hence the "I already addressed Julie". You clearly only care about assault victims' opinions if they agree with yours. You can't claim to care about this subject only to then blurt out "1st Place Assault Survivor". You are incredibly transparent and you brought up Julie just to avoid talking about this yourself in a manner that would go beyond insulting me, because you can't back your shit up. I also hope to god she's fine with you just blurting out she was assaulted too...

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:52 pm

TheNingen wrote:Do not conflate the situations between Vic and Kavanaugh. They're entirely different in terms of severity and you're being disrespectful and obtuse on the matter.
Really? This nonsense again?

I cannot be bothered. Back up a few pages.
Sean and Vic have different decorum. They act differently. They have different upbringings, and different everything. A line needs to be drawn. If a hug and a kiss is viewed as sexual assault, that literally means ANYTHING down the line of such things will be sexual assault and can be used as such if a person gets upset with anyone. And if he did sexually assault them, Sean, Sonny, Chris, Monica, and Funimation are ALL accessories to harboring a known sexual assaulter in their ranks and doing next to nothing about it for years on end. You cannot tell me the higher ups at Funimation wouldn't or didn't know. Or anyone in a position of power that worked with him. Vic is not a powerful voice actor. He does not have the power in the industry that a Kavanaugh or Gorsuch do in their respective fields. This is why it is disingenuous to even begin to compare them in a focused, non-general manner and you are doing zero favors to the discussion by doing so.
Vic is not a powerful voice actor.
Thanks for destroying your own point for me, I guess.
Special Beam Cannon!

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
TheNingen wrote:Do not conflate the situations between Vic and Kavanaugh. They're entirely different in terms of severity and you're being disrespectful and obtuse on the matter.
Really? This nonsense again?

I cannot be bothered. Back up a few pages.
Vic is not a powerful voice actor.
Thanks for destroying your own point for me, I guess.
I have no use for having a dialogue if you have no arguments to make. You simply saying 'I destroyed my own point' and leaving it at that, isn't an argument, nor is it valid. Vic is not a powerhouse in an industry to the point where he can silence and threaten other VA careers. If you have no argument, do not post. It's that simple. Because it's spam otherwise.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:What is this, the Trauma Olympics? Vic doesn't have to be facing multiple years in jail for what he's been accused of doing (which is a lot more than just the pictures that happen to have been posted here, if you've been following along at all) to fit the definition of sexual assault. Nevermind the fact that he apparently has a particular habit of doing this to underage girls.

Like JulieYBM said, don't downplay this because someone else somewhere might've had it worse. It's not about whether he completely destroyed any particular girl's life or not with what he did, it's that he's a serial offender.
This isn't a matter of it being a competition.

Calling it "sexual assault" is not only incorrect and inaccurate, but it marginalizes actual sexual assault victims and is slanderous to Vic. Obviously people have it worse out there, but it isn't downplaying to literally just call it for what it is; not sexual assault. It's just being objective about the situation rather than nonchalantly throwing out incredibly serious accusations based on nothing.

Yes, obviously Vic is guilty of being extremely inappropriate and disgusting, and should have/was reprimanded for it, I'm not disputing that.
JulieYBM wrote:People are defending a man accussed of mass sexual and verbal assault. That's much more offensive than a couple of 'bad words'.
Christ. Literally not a single one of the people that have come out giving their experience with VIc have accused him of sexual assault, nor could anyone identify what he did as sexual assault.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm

You're sitting here trying to take personal ownership of the term "sexual assault" and I'm being the presumptuous one?

Full stop, you do not get to define what sexual assault is to victims of it just because what they went through is less severe according to you, and I absolutely do not need to be a sexual assault survivor to say as much.
You clearly only care about assault victims' opinions if they agree with yours.
The irony, the fortitude behind this statement right now.
You are incredibly transparent and you brought up Julie just to avoid talking about this yourself
You said my opinion didn't matter because I wasn't a sexual assault victim, so I went and referenced someone who has publicly acknowledged their experiences who has starkly contrasting opinion, and now you're telling me I can't do that?

Piiiissssss oooffffffffff.
Special Beam Cannon!

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:00 pm

TheNingen wrote:I have no use for having a dialogue if you have no arguments to make. You simply saying 'I destroyed my own point' and leaving it at that, isn't an argument, nor is it valid. Vic is not a powerhouse in an industry to the point where he can silence and threaten other VA careers. If you have no argument, do not post. It's that simple. Because it's spam otherwise.
Dude

You: "Vic's colleagues might've banded together to frame him." (hello conspiracy theorist nutbag)

Also you: "Vic isn't a powerful person [ergo, he wouldn't need such a diabolical scheme to get rid of]."

Get your own shit straight before coming at me.
Special Beam Cannon!

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:You're sitting here trying to take personal ownership of the term "sexual assault" and I'm being the presumptuous one?

Full stop, you do not get to define what sexual assault is to victims of it just because what they went through is less severe according to you, and I absolutely do not need to be a sexual assault survivor to say as much.
You clearly only care about assault victims' opinions if they agree with yours.
The irony, the fortitude behind this statement right now.
You are incredibly transparent and you brought up Julie just to avoid talking about this yourself
You said my opinion didn't matter because I wasn't a sexual assault victim, so I went and referenced someone who has publicly acknowledged their experiences who has starkly contrasting opinion, and now you're telling me I can't do that?

Piiiissssss oooffffffffff.
I didn't say those weren't sexually assaulted have no say. I was helped by people who weren't, actually. I said it's ironic that you went on this entire thread spouting about people can't dispute others when they talk about their stories, only to have someone talk about his story and be met with your "what do you know? Lol, whine somewhere else". Again. You are incredibly transparent.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
TheNingen wrote:I have no use for having a dialogue if you have no arguments to make. You simply saying 'I destroyed my own point' and leaving it at that, isn't an argument, nor is it valid. Vic is not a powerhouse in an industry to the point where he can silence and threaten other VA careers. If you have no argument, do not post. It's that simple. Because it's spam otherwise.
Dude

You: "Vic's colleagues might've banded together to frame him."

Also you: "Vic isn't a powerful person [ergo, he wouldn't need such a diabolical scheme to get rid of]."

Get your own shit straight before coming at me.
Stop the condescension. Now. You're not doing yourself any favors.

I never said his colleagues "banded together to frame him." Quit re-purposing things and putting words in people's mouths. I said if he did in fact do the things he was accused of, his colleagues are just as guilty for letting it go on, as is Funimation and not having him terminated sooner. They made fun of him. They (in Monica's case) were flirty with him. Now suddenly there's a problem.

He isn't a powerful person. You're taking my comments out of context. Knock it off. I mentioned his power in response to you bringing up Kavanaugh, who in himself, has power and influence in his position that Vic does not in his. You cannot compare them.

This ego you have, this attitude and condescension you have is not needed. It is not helpful, nor is it relevant. Stop disrespectfully taking things out of context and acting holier-than-thou to your peers just because you disagree. I have not acted like I am better than you. But you constantly have given me the disrespect of acting in that way yourself. You are not abiding by the forum rules with this behavior, and I recommend that you do in fact become more aware of how you present yourself in a forum. You are very much now an example of a problematic part of the sides debacle I mentioned earlier. Just as several people in this thread are as well that I would consider. I don't have a side. I see holes and problems in both sides. I can and do criticize both. If you do have further off topic, one off comments or insults, then I will proceed to ignore them and simply report you for your disrespectful conduct. I want no part of that sort of toxic behavior.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

TheNingen wrote:

I never said his colleagues "banded together to frame him." Quit re-purposing things and putting words in people's mouths. I said if he did in fact do the things he was accused of, his colleagues are just as guilty for letting it go on, as is Funimation and not having him terminated sooner. They made fun of him. They (in Monica's case) were flirty with him. Now suddenly there's a problem.
Are you serious?

So every rape victim that doesn't come forward for fear of the backlash involved in the process is "just as guilty" when their rapist rapes another person?

What idiotic shit is this?
He isn't a powerful person. You're taking my comments out of context. Knock it off. I mentioned his power in response to you bringing up Kavanaugh, who in himself, has power and influence in his position that Vic does not in his. You cannot compare them.
Oh yes, I'm not doing anyone any favors, but you over here completely misrepresenting the point of the analogy is super helpful to the dialogue right now. Their relative power has absolutely nothing to do with the comparison, and on your end it just opens up...not even Occam's razor, it's more like Occam's claymore.

So tell me again, why doesn't Sean Schemmel have a laundry list of accusations given his status in the VA community if, according to you, people (that is, DOZENS of people) have a habit of making flippantly false accusations against those that they don't like for...reasons?
This ego you have, this attitude and condescension you have is not needed. It is not helpful, nor is it relevant. Stop disrespectfully taking things out of context and acting holier-than-thou to your peers just because you disagree. I have not acted like I am better than you. But you constantly have given me the disrespect of acting in that way yourself. You are not abiding by the forum rules with this behavior, and I recommend that you do in fact become more aware of how you present yourself in a forum. You are very much now an example of a problematic part of the sides debacle I mentioned earlier. Just as several people in this thread are as well that I would consider. I don't have a side. I see holes and problems in both sides. I can and do criticize both. If you do have further off topic, one off comments or insults, then I will proceed to ignore them and simply report you for your disrespectful conduct. I want no part of that sort of toxic behavior.
Dude, get your fucking priorities in order. We're not talking about who's the best guitar player in the world or who's going to win tomorrow's big game. We're talking about a man implicated by DOZENS of women of being a predator toward underage girls, and a bunch of internet randoms screaming "WAIT FOR DA EVIDENCE" even though this isn't the court of god damn law. This is not the place for a friendly-back-and-forth when some people have ignorant neanderthal-ass opinions about this subject.
Special Beam Cannon!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm

In regards to why Funimation kept him on for so long, I can only think of two explanations as for why Vic was kept on for so long:
1. Vic voiced two major characters in two of their popular franchises: Full Metal Alchemist and Dragon Ball. The former garnered Vic quite a fanbase, and the latter role was used in several video games which they needed Vic for.

Or

2. The higher ups were unaware of the allegations until recently.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
TheNingen wrote:

Are you serious?

So every rape victim that doesn't come forward for fear of the backlash involved in the process is "just as guilty" when their rapist rapes another person?

What idiotic shit is this?
Unless Vic sexually assaulted everyone in the staff that knew about this, they deserve some form of backlash. Are they equally as guilty? IMO, no. But if they still let it happen out of convenience for them and you happen to agree with that sort of behaviour, it says a lot about you. Now's the time when you accuse me of misinterpreting your words and miss the irony.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Just want to point out fyi kissing someone who doesn't want you to kiss them is the legal definition of sexual assault.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Um yeah Cursed Lemon, you gots to chill and stop putting words in everybody's mouth. I'm on your side here as far as believing Vic's guilty but you're doing us no favors.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Yeah. I agree with jjgp.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:39 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:Just want to point out fyi kissing someone who doesn't want you to kiss them is the legal definition of sexual assault.
I grew up in small portuguese village and I'm assuming you're not from these parts (and if you are, do correct me), but around Europe hugging and kissing people on the cheek is a normal way of greeting them. I mean, that's been decreasing with my generation and onwards but with older generations it's a completely normal affair. I grew up being kissed and hugged all the time by people I barely even knew. Some of them even complete strangers. That's why some of us aren't comfortable lumping what Vic did in the pictures as sexual assault, especially if we also happen to have been victims to it. If I'm not mistaken, Vic is italian and, well, old... he still should have known better, of course. Yet, it adds up. If you're going to accuse Vic of sexually assaulting people (based on what we can glimpse from the pictures), you're going to have to do the same to a lot of people like him whose crimes are hugging people they don't know.
People get heated up over topics like assault, and we should. It's an important topic, but just like with every important topic we must also look for nuance.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 pm

BlueChi wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Just want to point out fyi kissing someone who doesn't want you to kiss them is the legal definition of sexual assault.
I grew up in small portuguese village and I'm assuming you're not from these parts (and if you are, do correct me), but around Europe hugging and kissing people on the cheek is a normal way of greeting them. I mean, that's been decreasing with my generation and onwards but with older generations it's a completely normal affair. I grew up being kissed and hugged all the time by people I barely even knew. Some of them even complete strangers. That's why some of us aren't comfortable lumping what Vic did in the pictures as sexual assault, especially if we also happen to have been victims to it. If I'm not mistaken, Vic is italian and, well, old... he still should have known better, of course. Yet, it adds up. If you're going to accuse Vic of sexually assaulting people (based on what we can glimpse from the pictures), you're going to have to do the same to a lot of people like him whose crimes are hugging people they don't know.
People get heated up over topics like assault, and we should. It's an important topic, but just like with every important topic we must also look for nuance.
Hey look. You made an argument I made....but tons better and with credibility. Lmao. Thank you