English Dragon Box Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Kuhan wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I'm gonna be 30 by the time the final box comes out.
Haha, I'll only be 18.
I'll be 19, if that's the way they'll be released.

I think this release has really separated the casual fans from the hardcore fans.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:35 pm

So, yeah...I just got done cleaning the shit out of my pants...seriously, I never saw this coming in a million years.

Needless to say, my wife is mad at me because I mentioned that the orange bricks she got me for xmas were the crappy DVDs and this is the good stuff...oh well, I'll be buying ALL of these, for certain.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Big Boss wrote:I'm pretty sure they were scanned at 480p...99.9% sure.

The movies however...could be a different story.
Where is this ever said? Studios were remastering anime in 1080P at least as far back as 2001 (maybe earlier... I know that doesn't mean the DBoxes were).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:40 pm

SweetCosmicPope wrote:So, yeah...I just got done cleaning the shit out of my pants...seriously, I never saw this coming in a million years.

Needless to say, my wife is mad at me because I mentioned that the orange bricks she got me for xmas were the crappy DVDs and this is the good stuff...oh well, I'll be buying ALL of these, for certain.
Ouch. The DBox is important, but don't get stuck sleeping on the couch. :)

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm going to wait until the first set has been released and the second set is announced before I decide the Season Sets are the crappy release. I may wait until they announce the other two series before I get the sets at all. 8)

I love what FUNimation is doing, but I want them to do this right.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This was just "lolz I'm vegeta 9000 omg definitive!" How is that the "hardcore" audience you're selling this to...?
I really have to agree with this. When the ad played, I knew what to expect because I'd read about the announcement. So watching it, I couldn't help but wonder if the advertising guys just didn't get any memos other than "This one is called the Dragon Box, not Season 10". If you watch it and the first Season Set commercial, they're eerily similar, and it's like somebody missed the point entirely.

On the other hand, the guy presenting the thing seemed to know his audience very well. The slideshow was far more stimulating, interesting, and worthwhile than the ad preceding it. The guy doing that presentation did so with a frankness and directness that really hit me with far more interest than the Vegeta "XTREME Dragon Box is OVER 9,000!" ad.

I mean, "We didn't change a DAMN thing" certainly resonates with me on a far better level. Simply saying "Yeah, you're gonna get it for lower than MSRP, let's face it" and "They did it RIGHT".

It's a mixed marketing message, and I think somebody in a higher-up position just doesn't "get it".

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Nothing we didn't already know, but Funimation has put up an official news article on the release:

http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=586

I think when this comes out, I'll buy it at Best Buy. They usually have good prices for Dragon Ball DVDs. I'll bet it will be $60-$65 there.

November 10 can't come fast enough.... :(

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:On the other hand, the guy presenting the thing seemed to know his audience very well. The slideshow was far more stimulating, interesting, and worthwhile than the ad preceding it. The guy doing that presentation did so with a frankness and directness that really hit me with far more interest than the Vegeta "XTREME Dragon Box is OVER 9,000!" ad.

I mean, "We didn't change a DAMN thing" certainly resonates with me on a far better level. Simply saying "Yeah, you're gonna get it for lower than MSRP, let's face it" and "They did it RIGHT".
I'm with ya' on that. I think he did a great job presenting it to us afterward, and that was part of what made it so exciting for me to not only hear, but in turn tweet out in real-time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Nothing we didn't already know, but Funimation has put up an official news article on the release:

I think when this comes out, I'll buy it at Best Buy. They usually have good prices for Dragon Ball DVDs. I'll bet it will be $60-$65 there.

November 10th...sweet day. The Dragon Box AND the new Call Of Duty is being released. :D

EDIT: Oh, 200 posts already?!

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:02 pm

So Mike, is there any chance of Meri posting her reaction to this news? I'm too impatient to wait for the podcast!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah, with a podcast some time away I'd really like to know what ya' guys thought. I'm sure your wallets were already feelin' lighter.

'Tis a shame you didn't ask Sheehan afterward about any specifics, but alas...(unless I missed something and you did).
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Nothing we didn't already know, but Funimation has put up an official news article on the release:

PNG of the logo for all your logoy logo needs.

I was gonna make a vector with scans provided by Hujio (Which he still hasn't PMed me :P) but I guess it doesn't matter now. :lol:

They're only talking about DBZ and the 13 movies so far, pleeeeeease say they have Dragon Ball and GT + More...

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Holy shit...

That is all..
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:42 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:However, you REALLY don't want to hear his Vegeta voice in english.. :x
Clip. NOW.
I WANT TO KEEL YOO KAKARO'O!!!

Or maybe he's saying "I won't forgive you, Kakarotto?"

It sounded to like he said "Katarotto" at one point too.

Touru Furuya BONUS!
That was awesome. If I ever see Ryo, I'd like to hear him swap voice and lines between his roles as Andromeda Shun from Saint Seiya and Vegeta. Would be worth a few laughs.

Video aside, the release really can't come soon enough. It seems like it will be the best release we could hope for out of the original series. Though, the dub still has room to grow, if they go for a more accurate dub in DBK.

Just a 21st birthday, months of zombie superheroes, and another semester of college to hold me over until the set comes out. I might actually pre-order this one, if I'm not broke.

I hope we get a few special features, or at least the specials, the play-dia vid dubbed and subbed, and maybe some toonami commercials, or interviews with the voices. They could do duel interviews with their other language counterparts. Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel, Ryo Horikawa and Chris Sabat, etc.

Well...a guy can hope.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Dragonbox Freeza approves:
(Post 1900)
Last edited by Raki on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Raki wrote:Dragonbox Freeza approves:

*snip*
Seems a bit...blurred. :?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Raki wrote:Dragonbox Freeza approves:

*snip*
Seems a bit...blurred. :?

Not that I know first hand but I often hear screen shots of the Dragonbox footage doesn't do it justice at all.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:15 pm

It looks the wrong size too...

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm just sad I didn't make to the panel. Still, awesome news. I might hold back on getting the DB Box Sets for the Dragon Boxes and the possibility of releasing the Dragon Boxes for the Dragon Ball series. So far of the FUNi remastered material I have all of GT, the Z Season One set, and the Cooler films. I'm definitely purchasing any future Dragon Box releases from here on out.

SSJToreto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJToreto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:42 pm

This is Dragon Box if you wanna compare it.