"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Kakarotto92 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:25 am

Draconic wrote:With the way CG is right now in Japan this would be an awful idea. But if CG was used to emulate the 2D style, I think it could definetley work. Something like the new Guilty Gear videogame, where the 3D models were just the sprites from the previous games, only rendered in all 3 planes, not just 2D.

Example: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpJ10YEiwI in case what I said was not clear. All those are 3D models.
You mean like those godawful Berserk Golden Age movies? Ugh... :sick:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:27 am

Honestly, I still think there are some quirky elements about Dragon Ball that wouldn't be captured well in CGI. I mean, don't me wrong, I mean with enough time, effort and really budget, a CG Dragon Ball movie would look really good. I just think CG animation wouldn't capture every essence of Dragon Ball appropriately like hand drawn animation has over the years.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

I don't like cgi animation. I prefer regular 2D animation for DB.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 am

Agreed,I feel like CGI is somthing that doesnt really fit for DB.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am

Chioka Kimitoshi was the first credited of three storyboard artists for Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary. Assuming that means he storyboarded the first third of the movie then it means he storyboarded this fight scene. He can certainly storyboard exciting action, so hopefully he can bring that to Dragon Ball Super someday.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Chioka Kimitoshi was the first credited of three storyboard artists for Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary. Assuming that means he storyboarded the first third of the movie then it means he storyboarded this fight scene. He can certainly storyboard exciting action, so hopefully he can bring that to Dragon Ball Super someday.
That we know of, has he even storyboarded anything in Super yet? He hasn't directed any episodes either... I wonder if he will have a more hands on roll starting with the next arc.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Draconic wrote:With the way CG is right now in Japan this would be an awful idea. But if CG was used to emulate the 2D style, I think it could definetley work. Something like the new Guilty Gear videogame, where the 3D models were just the sprites from the previous games, only rendered in all 3 planes, not just 2D.

Example: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOpJ10YEiwI in case what I said was not clear. All those are 3D models.
Advancements in cell-shading tricks are very impressive, my point being that if the CG would emulate hand-drawn 'flat' cell animation to this degree, then it's essentially a 2D 'classical' animation, just done with a different method when looking from viewer perspective. Most of the audience wouldn't even tell the difference or wouldn't care. If CG was out to be distinctively CG 3D like Pixar movies, Clone Wars tv show or Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, then it would require finding a brand new art style fitting art style for Dragon Ball which would be extremly hard, if not impossible.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Basaku wrote:

Advancements in cell-shading tricks are very impressive, my point being that if the CG would emulate hand-drawn 'flat' cell animation to this degree, then it's essentially a 2D 'classical' animation, just done with a different method when looking from viewer perspective. Most of the audience wouldn't even tell the difference or wouldn't care. If CG was out to be distinctively CG 3D like Pixar movies, Clone Wars tv show or Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, then it would require finding a brand new art style fitting art style for Dragon Ball which would be extremly hard, if not impossible.
I think the differences would be pretty noticable, especially stuff like the impact between blows or new camera angles. Also, this pretty much nullifies the possibility of getting off model shots. This not only keeps the art style and makes it feel familiar, but there is a lot that can be done in terms of choreography or composition.

I think Pixar style CGI looks horrible. Yeah, the animation is flowing well, but I really can't get into any of those movies. I think those clay-like figures are an eyesore and really a step backward in animation design (but of course, to move forward,sometimes you must take a step back, which holds me from actually hating it).

I also want to mention that I really don't want CG Dragon Ball. I would much rather it stay as it is now, drawbacks and all, but if it WILL do this step for a movie or someother thing, the aforementiond style I think would fit the best.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Guilty Gear Xrd also does a lot of mesh deformation and face swapping on the fly to keep things dynamic and to make sure the characters stay on model all the time since Anime doesn't translate perfectly into 3D, techniques like that could also work even better in a movie or show format(especially with some nice motion blur). I'd prefer that we stay 2D, but if done right 3D could work and the techniques already exist to do it right.

HOWEVER
I've been wanting ArcSys to make a 2D console DB Fighter with the visual style of Xrd, that would be incredible. Maybe it could come out between Xenoverse 2 and a possible Xenoverse 3.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Draconic wrote: I think the differences would be pretty noticable, especially stuff like the impact between blows or new camera angles. Also, this pretty much nullifies the possibility of getting off model shots. This not only keeps the art style and makes it feel familiar, but there is a lot that can be done in terms of choreography or composition.
Of course, but if it's styled to perfectly imitate flat 2D hand-drawn style, then it's not really aiming for 3D depth and quasi-realism of Pixar movies which is what appeals to mainstream audience and what I assume Morishita had in mind when he was talking about Hollywood blockbusters.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

I don't think Toei cares enough to invest that kind of money in DB. They seem to be way more invested in One Piece. If any of their properties gets enough money sunk into it for an expensive pixar type cgi movie, it'll be One Piece, not Dragon Ball, imo
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Chuquita wrote:I don't think Toei cares enough to invest that kind of money in DB. They seem to be way more invested in One Piece. If any of their properties gets enough money sunk into it for an expensive pixar type cgi movie, it'll be One Piece, not Dragon Ball, imo
If they're going to put that much $$$ into something then it needs to be a big franchise worldwide as well unlike One Piece which is only big in Japan so DB would be the only franchise that'll get that kind of movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:I don't think Toei cares enough to invest that kind of money in DB. They seem to be way more invested in One Piece. If any of their properties gets enough money sunk into it for an expensive pixar type cgi movie, it'll be One Piece, not Dragon Ball, imo
As Araki mentioned on previous page, they already tried few times: Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary. Both flopped though. Harlock made $17m, Saint Seiya $9m. Budgets were $30m+

CGI is not a magical money-printer. It's just as hard as 2D animation to get right. When it doesn't go right, it can literally break companies. Squaresoft had to merge with Enix precisely because of the money sunk into Final Fantasy The Spirits Within.
Chuquita wrote:I don't like cgi animation. I prefer regular 2D animation for DB.
There's good and bad CGI animation just as good and bad hand-drawn 2D. And of course there's also the script side. The best CG or the best 2D hand-drawn won't save a crappy story and bad writing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Oh definitely there's good and bad cgi and 2D.
I just prefer 2D animation, myself. I like the way it looks, the way a skilled animator makes the characters move, the things you can do in that medium that you can't do in others.

CGI movement too often emulates realistic movement and it makes it boring to watch in motion. I like the squash and stretch, the smears, all the unique types of movement 2D animation offers.

Re: One Piece

Toonami did marathon One Piece for New Year's Eve.
And the past two One Piece movies looked like they had a lot more time and resources than F and BOG.
And Toei still hasn't given Funi streaming rights to Super some 28 weeks or so since it started.
F had a semi decent international release wait time, but BOG took a while.

I dunno, I just don't have the faith that Toei cares about DB the way it loves One Piece.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:
I dunno, I just don't have the faith that Toei cares about DB the way it loves One Piece.
To me it seems more like the team responsible for DB at Toei is just stuck in the (analog) past. Toei in general, but DB in particular. The entire business operates as if the internet didn't change how the world entertainment is consumed and distributed (not to even mention piracy). Launching a website for a new show without English version lol? In 2015? For a show and company that wants to be global? No streaming deals, simultaneous releases etc. Mind-boggling.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:19 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Chioka Kimitoshi was the first credited of three storyboard artists for Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary. Assuming that means he storyboarded the first third of the movie then it means he storyboarded this fight scene. He can certainly storyboard exciting action, so hopefully he can bring that to Dragon Ball Super someday.
That we know of, has he even storyboarded anything in Super yet? He hasn't directed any episodes either... I wonder if he will have a more hands on roll starting with the next arc.
Chioka has no e-konte or enshutsu credits for Dragon Ball Super yet. Although the Opening doesn't credit a enshutsu or e-konte we know that Yamamuro Tadayoshi was the animation supervisor and was solo key animator for the Endings, so I'm thinking he simply storyboarded the Opening, too. It's also worth noting that the Opening doesn't match the storyboard that Chioka did for the second Saint Seiya Omega Opening.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Basaku wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
To me it seems more like the team responsible for DB at Toei is just stuck in the (analog) past. Toei in general, but DB in particular. The entire business operates as if the internet didn't change how the world entertainment is consumed and distributed (not to even mention piracy). Launching a website for a new show without English version lol? In 2015? For a show and company that wants to be global? No streaming deals, simultaneous releases etc. Mind-boggling.
I'm starting to wonder if it's at all possible that Toei doesn't even intend to release the BoG and F arcs of Super outside of Japan honestly.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:46 pm

If the cgi is anything close to this https://youtu.be/-V_Mewe4iSw I'm in for the cgi db movie, also having a good cgi animation is not the only thing that is needed for the movie to work it also needs a good story and fight choreography, if all of these things are there I'm sure cgi db movie will make millions.....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Toei Animation isn't the only party involved in the creation of Dragon Ball Super. This goes for any animated series. To constantly put the blame on 'Toei' for everything is silly.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:53 pm

So it's more like Shueisha's fault? They're higher up than Toei, right?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!