Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Unofficial "Dragon Ball Super" Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Bullza wrote:
HeroR wrote:It does matter because Buu wasn't serious when he fought Dabura and Gohan. He didn't even begin to show his full power until he fought Majin Vegeta.

Good Buu is easily stronger than Majin Vegeta since before he lost his power he was at least four times stronger than Majin Vegeta. Meaning that even if he lost 3/4 of his power, he was still be 1.5x stronger than Majin Vegeta. As I said, Basil is an extreme low ball because you're low balling Buu.
But that's a completely different Buu. Whether he was serious or not against Dabura and Gohan that was a complete Buu. What does he have to do with anything?

Good Buu has just a portion of that strength, you can't compare his performance to Basil against Majin Buu's performance against Dabura.

I'm not low balling Basil, you saw that Krillin put up a respectable enough fight against him. Krillin is weaker than Namek Frieza because Goku was. So Basil who didn't appear to be powered up maybe until the end because he had no fire aura can't be enormously powerful.

Unfortunately it was never too clear how strong the humans like Krillin and Tien stacked up power level wise except we know they're weaker than Base Goku but they could still be up in the tens of millions.
Good Buu and Fat Buu are not 'completely different Buus'. They are the same person. The only different is that Good Buu isn't as strong as he used to be and even then you're guessing how much energy he lost since the manga only said he lost the majority of his power, mean 51% >. So him losing 60% of his power would still put him over Majin Vegeta since he was already four times stronger than him.

So yes, you're low balling Buu.
ChiefWamsutta wrote:
LowRyder2005 wrote:
Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Like someone said earlier, the two-base theory is a failed pursuit when no one here can make sense of it, much less Toei. It's best to look at how things appear to work now and retroactively apply it to the past as much as possible, assuming you're invested in Super's future.

I don't think there's a normal base and a God-level base leading to different Super Saiyan chains, because it's only a matter of time (if it hasn't happened already) until what's perceived as God-level Base Goku goes Super Saiyan 1 and comes out stronger than where he was just at. Then what?
Uhm... I don't think I'm really understanding the rationale of the second paragraph. What would the correlation between Goku's improvements and disproving the idea of two bases be, according to you?

On the theory itself, I believe everyone - or almost anyone - here deems it to be a strictly unintended side effect of Super retracing the movies at first and then trying to establish its own canon in conjuction with Toriyama's new inputs, starting from the U6 tourney and afterwards.
I agree with LowRyder2005 and Bulma's Foot Masseur. Saiyan Beyond God, Super Saiyan Beyond God, and the Two-Base Theory are unintended side effects of DBSuper production. That's why we haven't seen Goku fighting Beerus in it again. 'Saiyan Beyond God' basically is gone. Claiming that Goku and Vegeta are just hiding it away and will use it later is ignoring the out-of-universe production choice.

DBSuper's powerscaling will never be fixed for the Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Universe 6 arcs. We have to accept this and hope the Future Trunks and Universe Survival arcs can be consistent without a One-Base vs. Two-Base debate. It's good that we never saw 'Saiyan Beyond God' in the Future Trunks arc.
That makes no sense. Why do Toei have to keep showing or repeating that Goku's base is stronger than before when it was shown several times in Battle of Gods, Resurrection 'F', and the breather episodes afterwards. They most likely figured that the audience would know by now that Goku's base form is stronger than ever and it doesn't need to be repeated all the time. It called given your audience the benefit of the doubt that they have been paying even halfway attention.

Also, Goku haven't fought Beerus again since Episode 42, so what are you even talking about when you say That's why we haven't seen Goku fighting Beerus in it again'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
That makes no sense. Why do Toei have to keep showing or repeating that Goku's base is stronger than before when it was shown several times in Battle of Gods, Resurrection 'F', and the breather episodes afterwards. They most likely figured that the audience would know by now that Goku's base form is stronger than ever and it doesn't need to be repeated all the time. It called given your audience the benefit of the doubt that they have been paying even halfway attention.

Also, Goku haven't fought Beerus again since Episode 42, so what are you even talking about when you say That's why we haven't seen Goku fighting Beerus in it again'.
I'm saying that Saiyan Beyond God is not a form. Base Goku < SS1 Goku < SS2 Goku < SS3 Goku < SSG Goku < SSBlue Goku

There was probably some issues translating the first few arcs into DBSuper from the movies. Currently, we haven't seen Base Goku casually fight known incredibly strong characters like Monaka-Beerus and Hit. The manga is also trying to push this Base < SS1 < SS2 < SS3 < SSGod < SSBlue agenda.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I'm saying that Saiyan Beyond God is not a form. Base Goku < SS1 Goku < SS2 Goku < SS3 Goku < SSG Goku < SSBlue Goku

There was probably some issues translating the first few arcs into DBSuper from the movies. Currently, we haven't seen Base Goku casually fight known incredibly strong characters like Monaka-Beerus and Hit. The manga is also trying to push this Base < SS1 < SS2 < SS3 < SSGod < SSBlue agenda.
Saiyan Beyond God was never a thing except in Heroes. The term and idea was never used in Resurrection 'F' or Super. All Goku and Vegeta had was a super strong base form that was much stronger than their previous Buu Saga's Super Saiyan forms. That is literally it. So Goku forms in the anime is Super Saiyan God, Goku absorbed Super Saiyan God so now super strong base from < Super Saiyan < Super Saiyan 2 < Super Saiyan 3 < Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

Again, why does the anime have to repeatedly show that Goku and Vegeta's base forms are super strong? Why can't Toei assumed that their audience is smart enough to get it without needing to be reminding every story arc? If they assumed 8 to 12 years children can get it, why can't people here can't seem to? And, again, Goku haven't fought Beerus again since Episode 42 and has no reason to and why would he fight Hit in his base form when Hit was literally trying to kill him and wasn't holding back, unlike at the tournament where Goku could afford to test him?

And what the manga does have no bearing on the anime, just like Super Saiyan God Vegeta.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:23 am

MagmonKai wrote:What's the point of God Ki if it doesn't grant the user super power?
Something that people have never truly understood.

Supreme Kai, Kibito and possibly the likes of King Kai would apparently have this God Ki because they can sense it and yet they're pitifully weak.

And as I said I don't remember it ever being said in any media that God Ki relates to power. Aside from it having the unique property that mortals can't sense it unless they're strong enough I don't know what other purpose it has.

All throughout Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis he never once said anything about how they'd need to obtain God Ki in order to grow stronger. Then with him not having God Ki as a Super Saiyan fighting Beerus it's complicated.
HeroR wrote:The only different is that Good Buu isn't as strong as he used to be and even then you're guessing how much energy he lost since the manga only said he lost the majority of his power, mean 51% >. So him losing 60% of his power would still put him over Majin Vegeta since he was already four times stronger than him.
Right....So they're not the same in strength. Good Buu at least lost over half the power of Majin Buu.

So why are you comparing Basil's fight with Good Buu to Dabura's fight with the much stronger Majin Buu?

Just because Basil withstood Good Buu's angry attacks doesn't mean he could do the same thing with someone over twice as strong and again that was Basil at full power with a red aura and his feet on fire.

Krillin didn't fight that Basil, he fought the Basil who first fought Buu before he powered up to that.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:Next episode will definitely be a shitshow. like i said before, if krillin manages to hold himself against ssb goku, then i'm done with the series, and with super track record i think there is a decent chance of that happening.
There's really nothing in the NEP that implies that Goku had to go SSJB to beat Krillin and Krillin being able to fight Blue Goku. What even makes you think Krillin will give SSJB Goku a fight when Krillin couldn't stand Base Goku's fist? Just because Goku went SSJB? It's just like Vegeta's fight with Cabba where he revealed SSJB just for the sake of showing off the form when Vegeta could've beaten Cabba in his SSJ form alone.
Episodes like 57 and 66 are the reason why i don't trust super to be consistent with powerscaling.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 am

We've yet to know if Goku turns blue to fight Kuririn, the preview isn't clear.
However, if Goku turns blue to fight him, it's his recognization that Kuririn has done some progress. Fighting with Kuririn as a SSJB is to motivate Kuririn to work even harder for the tournament. Goku turns blue but he can control his KI like he wants and he won't even 1/10 of his power against Kuririn. He'll transform but won't use his SSJB power at all, otherwise he would easily erase Kuririn from existence. He kinda did that with Botamo, even with Blue and Kaioken, he was using like half of his true power or so.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:31 pm

zamasu121 wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:Next episode will definitely be a shitshow. like i said before, if krillin manages to hold himself against ssb goku, then i'm done with the series, and with super track record i think there is a decent chance of that happening.
There's really nothing in the NEP that implies that Goku had to go SSJB to beat Krillin and Krillin being able to fight Blue Goku. What even makes you think Krillin will give SSJB Goku a fight when Krillin couldn't stand Base Goku's fist? Just because Goku went SSJB? It's just like Vegeta's fight with Cabba where he revealed SSJB just for the sake of showing off the form when Vegeta could've beaten Cabba in his SSJ form alone.
Episodes like 57 and 66 are the reason why i don't trust super to be consistent with powerscaling.
We still don't even know why Goku even went SSJB with Krillin yet and just because he did so, doesn't necessarily mean that it's because "OMG KRILLIN IZ SOO STRONG!! ME WAKU!!!" Goku most likely transforms into his strongest form to give Krillin even more of a challenge. Just like how Vegeta unnecessarily transformed into SSJB against SSJ2 Trunks in order to give Trunks the hardest challenge.

IKevinX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by IKevinX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Since Krillin can't feel Godly ki I think he will ask Goku to use it so he can get a feel of it.

Thing is, we have no context whatsoever. Goku could transform against Gohan for all intents and purposes.
Same thing happened when Vegeta was SSB against Cabba in the preview and everyone was pushing Cabba to God levels.
Playlist for my Deep Look series on DBS. Analysis Manga+Anime
Playlist for my Top 7 Best moments on DBS, per arc.

Awesome Goku Black Tribute
Goku SSJ4 vs Goku SSJ God

I don't know why Jpn loves the first Broly movies given then enormous amount of parodies, but I've come to love them aswell, hence the Paragus.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -You know who. (Not Voldemort)

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Or maybe its more image training? :think:

The setting fits, very similar to Basil vs Krillin location.

So I'm guessing Goku was thinking how Krillin would fare vs ssj blue.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:23 am

Roronoa-pt wrote:We've yet to know if Goku turns blue to fight Kuririn, the preview isn't clear.
However, if Goku turns blue to fight him, it's his recognization that Kuririn has done some progress. Fighting with Kuririn as a SSJB is to motivate Kuririn to work even harder for the tournament. Goku turns blue but he can control his KI like he wants and he won't even 1/10 of his power against Kuririn. He'll transform but won't use his SSJB power at all, otherwise he would easily erase Kuririn from existence. He kinda did that with Botamo, even with Blue and Kaioken, he was using like half of his true power or so.
He shouldn't need to use blue in the first place, though. It's completely overkill. SSJ1 or I dare say SSJ2, would be more than enough.

What's point in using blue if he's going to use 1/10 of it's power? He may as well use SS1,2 or 3

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 am

About the two-base theory, what if Goku and Vegeta basically lost their SSG powered base once they first turned Super Saiyan Blue?
It makes sense to me, because they never showed that kind of strenght in their base ever again after the RoF events.
Black would be using that same super powered base too after his first fight with Goku (that's why he was able to kick SSB Vegeta in base)
Copy-Vegeta would be using that same power because he still had technically never turned SSB.

So basically, in order to turn Super Saiyan Blue/Rosè, a Saiyan must first possess SSG powers (in base form). Afterwards, a Saiyan's base comes back to normal (in Goku and Vegeta's case their base was still a lot stronger than before because of their training) but he can access the transformation whenever he wants.

It's headcanon but it should fit with what was shown unless I'm forgetting something. Here's a list of Super levels based on this theory of mine:

Multipliers
SSJ - 50x
SSJ2 - 100x
SSJ3 - 400x
SSB - 10,000x
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

khazgore

Post by khazgore » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:42 am

i have this wierd question, master rochi was strong in early dragon ball, possibly the strongest. but by now, he should be far weaker than goten, and young trunks. goku was like we need more than power in this tournament, goten and trunks wont do. so how much does skills-experience actually affect combat ability?
he was instantly okay, with rochi, while he was considering krillin that should be stronger for sure but apparently is not.
rochi also did a awesome job against Freeza's solider for such a low power level, i mean, he cant even fly!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:56 am

emperior wrote:About the two-base theory, what if Goku and Vegeta basically lost their SSG powered base once they first turned Super Saiyan Blue?
It makes sense to me, because they never showed that kind of strenght in their base ever again after the RoF events.
Black would be using that same super powered base too after his first fight with Goku (that's why he was able to kick SSB Vegeta in base)
Copy-Vegeta would be using that same power because he still had technically never turned SSB.

So basically, in order to turn Super Saiyan Blue/Rosè, a Saiyan must first possess SSG powers (in base form). Afterwards, a Saiyan's base comes back to normal (in Goku and Vegeta's case their base was still a lot stronger than before because of their training) but he can access the transformation whenever he wants.
The problem is in Copy-Vegeta's fight Goku was even with him and he had already turned Blue before.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

Hugo Boss wrote:
emperior wrote:About the two-base theory, what if Goku and Vegeta basically lost their SSG powered base once they first turned Super Saiyan Blue?

The problem is in Copy-Vegeta's fight Goku was even with him and he had already turned Blue before.
I forgot about that. Copy-Vegeta vs SSJ3 Gotenks was very stupid and inconistent so I'm going to pretend it never happened/was a gag battle.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 am

emperior wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:

I forgot about that. Copy-Vegeta vs SSJ3 Gotenks was very stupid and inconistent so I'm going to pretend it never happened/was a gag battle.
Nope it was referenced by goku in the black arc so no they didn't lose it unless stated otherwise.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 am

buutenks wrote:Or maybe its more image training? :think:

The setting fits, very similar to Basil vs Krillin location.

So I'm guessing Goku was thinking how Krillin would fare vs ssj blue.
Nah there not going to do back to back image training here.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 am

pacz360 wrote:
emperior wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote: The problem is in Copy-Vegeta's fight Goku was even with him and he had already turned Blue before.
Nope it was referenced by goku in the black arc so no they didn't lose it unless stated otherwise.
I never said Copy arc never happened, just the Copy Vegeta vs Gotenks. Which we can treat as a gag battle and it would be just fine.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 am

emperior wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
emperior wrote:
I never said Copy arc never happened, just the Copy Vegeta vs Gotenks. Which we can treat as a gag battle and it would be just fine.
Not really it meant to show that buu saga level fighters aren't shit to current goku and vegeta base forms.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 am

pacz360 wrote:
emperior wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Nope it was referenced by goku in the black arc so no they didn't lose it unless stated otherwise.
Not really it meant to show that buu saga level fighters aren't shit to current goku and vegeta base forms.
I still don't buy it, I can't believe Cabba is stronger in his base than Gotenks, a fusion, is at SSJ3.

The upcoming tournament will hopefully settle things down. Next episode, we will probably know just how strong Krillin has gotten (maybe 18 will compare him to her?) In a few episodes, Goku will be sparring with Buu (though it will be a trained Buu, it seems) and in the tournament we will see what the gap between the androids and base Goku/Vegeta is.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Seeing as how Kuririn is going to fight Gohan (and Goku) next episode, with Goku fighting Mr. Boo in the following one, we should hopefully get a good way to measure how strong the characters actually are (and how strong Goku actually is after all the God bullshit and the power retconning going around).