DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

NitroEX wrote:I get the feeling it's still well known among the people who are actually old enough to remember it on Cartoon network and Toonami/CNX but I can't say for the younger fans. It doesn't help that, besides the games, nothing DBZ related really got released over here until very recently. The influence online from US fans and other English speaking countries has helped keep the fandom alive somewhat. It's just too bad most of the US fans are very anti Ocean.
The 'Ocean Dub' (FUNimation Ocean Cast?) originally aired in Canada so America got their own dub by FUNimation so the viewers/fans got the choice of choosing either one.

If 'Ocean Dub Kai' exists I really hope it's what I've been expecting for years. But without Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis, it won't be the same... Or someone with a similar vocal.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 am

Jodaku wrote:
TestDemo wrote: The only thing that shocks me is the response of the fanbase, DBZ Kai finally comes to the UK, and unlike the previous DBZ series is on a FREE channel, unlike when the DBZ series was on Turner's channels which are part of a pay TV package, and the response of the fans is to whinge and moan. I mean, DBZ Kai is not DBZ, and were it not for Ocean staff claiming that their dub was going to the UK, then there would be no precedent or rationale for believing that the UK would get anything different than the US got.
But that's the point though isn't it? The fact that staff from Ocean stated that they was doing the dub for the UK, and then the announcement from Toei confirming that Kai was coming to the UK, it's not unreasonable that fans who liked the Ocean cast first time round when Z originally aired here were looking forward to an Ocean dubbed Kai only to be disappointed when it turns out that it's likely it's going to be the Funi dub (which from the bits and pieces I've seen seems to be a good dub). Expectations were raised through fairly credible sources (Ocean staff themselves). It's not moaning for the sake of it.

In this day and age what channel it's is fairly irrelevant (see how we were able to follow Kai's original airing live in Japan fairly painlessly if you wanted) And there's probably a good chance that the same fans you say are "whinging and moaning" have probably seen at least some of Funi's Kai and wanted a fresh take on it. Needless to say I think you're being harsh.

EDIT:

From what I can gather DBZ is firmly in that "awesome show I watched when I was younger" category for a lot of guys in their mid-20's. Through uni and various jobs, I've always come across a handful of people of who used to watch "back the day" or at least have heard of it.
I am by no means being harsh at all. I am merely stating what is obvious from reading these forums, that Ocean staff said it was to be a UK dub was the only thing that would lead anyone to believe the UK was getting Ocean. And as to my complaint about the fans, I see no problem with what I said, the fans are whinging and moaning over getting something for free. No-one says you have to watch US dubbed version, also the same imperative says that you don't have to criticise it either, they could've voiced their desire for something else without disparaging the free broadcast of the US dub, but no, its mostly booing from a bunch of old dinosaur fans who are irrelevant anyway (a lot of the forum members are American, and as such are not going to be able to view this UK airing anyway, and the ones that are in the the UK are not part of Kix's target audience (CSC site says Kix is for 7-12 year olds, I don't see a single complaint from the intended audience)).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 am

I don't think anybody's "complaining" that it's the FUNimation dub of "Dragon Ball Z Kai." I love the FUNimation dub, after all. It's a great dub, but a great dub that the vast majority of us Kanzenshuuers have already seen. We just had every reason to believe that it was going to be the Ocean dub, and were excited about it for various reasons.

PS: Is Kix a UK-only TV channel? The promo voice-over sounded like he had an American accent.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm really happy that we're getting Kai, I'm telling a bunch of people to watch it, and I do love Kai's FUNimation dub. It's just that a new, alternative dub is even more exciting than one that I've already seen.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Jodaku wrote:In this day and age what channel it's is fairly irrelevant (see how we were able to follow Kai's original airing live in Japan fairly painlessly if you wanted)
Don't make the mistake of assuming that we are the majority fanbase. Kix aren't going to be ignoring the adult fans, but they aren't their primary audience. They will be trying to get the 5-9 year olds to whom it being a free channel is important, because they won't be spending their nights on internet message boards asking for the best places to download the live Japanese feeds of stuff.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:PS: Is Kix a UK-only TV channel? The promo voice-over sounded like he had an American accent.
It's not that uncommon for some of the kids channels to use an American-style voice-over to advertise a kewel cartoon with ACTION and stuff.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:17 pm

LiamKav wrote:
Jodaku wrote:In this day and age what channel it's is fairly irrelevant (see how we were able to follow Kai's original airing live in Japan fairly painlessly if you wanted)
Don't make the mistake of assuming that we are the majority fanbase. Kix aren't going to be ignoring the adult fans, but they aren't their primary audience. They will be trying to get the 5-9 year olds to whom it being a free channel is important, because they won't be spending their nights on internet message boards asking for the best places to download the live Japanese feeds of stuff.
Absolutely. I understand that. I kinda had "us" in mind when I made that comment. But the main point I was making which admittedly wasn't clear was that the same fans who were anticipating the Ocean dub are more than likely are going to be same fans where what channel it airs on is going to be irrelevant as they'll find a way to stream/download it one way or another. Of course it doesn't apply to the 5-9 years, in the same way it doesn't matter to them which dub airs.
Last edited by Jodaku on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 am

So it looks like they're airing two episodes at 10am, then the same again at 6pm then again at 9pm. Do you think they might air it uncut at 9pm, but cut for the other slots?

Edit: Apparently that's just Saturdays. Sunday-Friday they're airing one episode at 8am, one at 6pm and both together at 9pm.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 am

They could add Freeview channels to Xbox LIVE Gold since it already has iBBC Player / 4oD / Demand 5 / Sky Player plus others.

Perhaps it's just a matter of time before Microsoft and DTV Services Ltd make a deal or whoever's in charge of Freeview UK. Having all in one place would be a lot better and truth is, Xbox 360 is no longer just a gaming console it's a media centre device.

If anyway, Kix! gets the Ocean Dub Kai I'll boot up the freeview box.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Jodaku wrote:
LiamKav wrote:
Absolutely. I understand that. I kinda had "us" in mind when I made that comment. But the main point I was making which admittedly wasn't clear was that the same fans who were anticipating the Ocean dub are more than likely are going to be same fans where what channel it airs on is going to irrelevant as they'll find a way to stream/download it one way or another. Of course it doesn't apply to the 5-9 years, in the same way it matter to them which dub airs.
Gotcha. In that case I agree with you 100%.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 am

I just got a reply from Kix! this is what I got.
It’s the FUNimation Dub.

Kind regards

Kix
Well that settles that question then.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 am

Knew it.

Whelp, tis a shame but at least the UK is actually getting some DBZ related content for once. Hopefully Kai is a success over there.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 am

Solidus wrote:I just got a reply from Kix! this is what I got.
It’s the FUNimation Dub.

Kind regards

Kix
Well, they dropped the ball. Now they've also lost quite a considerable amount of viewers for being the FUNimation Dub.

Still okay for the kids, I guess.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Solidus wrote:I just got a reply from Kix! this is what I got.
It’s the FUNimation Dub.

Kind regards

Kix
Well, they dropped the ball. Now they've also lost quite a considerable amount of viewers for being the FUNimation Dub.

...Quite a considerable amount of viewers? Okay for the kids? Look, it's cool if you're an Ocean Fan, but this being an Ocean or Funi dub isn't really going to affect sales all that much in the long run. Kids would have enjoyed either dub about equally I'm sure (give or take some personal preferences in voices), and they would be the target audience for a TV airing. Even for adult fans in the UK, they were getting the Orange Bricks, iirc, so this won't be a new cast to them, for the most part. It'll be with even better dubbing, so there's little to complain about.

Not trying to attack you or anything, the post just kinda seemed "Only Ocean would succeed in the UK", when honestly, I can't imagine either dub really failing (well, assuming nothing horrific occurred in an Ocean Kai dub, but I assume a good quality for the sake of the argument and having enjoyed past Ocean Dubs).

Still, if you want an Ocean Dub, Canada's your best bet (though, since Funi has the DVD rights in Canada, we'll likely never see an Uncut Ocean Dub on home media unless Ocean and Funi work out a deal *I would love a double dub set, personally*). Good luck with this, I mean it. I hope something didn't fall through, and it's just meant to be a Canadian release (maybe after getting the Orange Bricks over there, the licensee wanted a more consistent voice cast when transitioning to Kai with fewer changes, who knows?).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

Mewzard wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

...Quite a considerable amount of viewers? Okay for the kids? Look, it's cool if you're an Ocean Fan, but this being an Ocean or Funi dub isn't really going to affect sales all that much in the long run. Kids would have enjoyed either dub about equally I'm sure (give or take some personal preferences in voices), and they would be the target audience for a TV airing. Even for adult fans in the UK, they were getting the Orange Bricks, iirc, so this won't be a new cast to them, for the most part. It'll be with even better dubbing, so there's little to complain about.

Not trying to attack you or anything, the post just kinda seemed "Only Ocean would succeed in the UK", when honestly, I can't imagine either dub really failing...
Nicely put Mewzard. I agree wholeheartedly, the US dub not only aired here for a number of episodes when the DBZ series was airing, but is also released now legally here in the UK, and certain people are acting like getting the US dub is a bad thing, or that it is foreign and the the UK is somehow an Ocean country, as if they have forgotten the history of the US dub in the UK, lest they forget that even the much fawned over 1-53 and 3 movies with the Canadian voice cast are the license of Funimation, as if they had absolute say over how the fanbase in the UK feels. They're not even involved with the licensor's/distributor's decision making, why should they be upset? Only certain Ocean staff said it would be the dub in the UK, Toei never publically said it would, so yeah, I see no problem with the UK getting the US dub. If they don't want to watch, they don't have to, no-one's forcing them to complain, and they are also making their own views irrelevant to the powers that be when they have no interest in what is being released in the UK anyway.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

I think people are just saying that a lot of people who already have the FUNimation dub on DVD and whatnot would have watched, in addition to the kids that will anyway, if it had been a new dub. I really think they're a minority, and I think this might be better for Dragon Ball in the UK since we know the FUNi dub is very high quality, but I'm still personally disappointed that we don't have the Ocean dub yet. Hopefully we'll get it soon.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am

Fizzer wrote:I think people are just saying that a lot of people who already have the FUNimation dub on DVD and whatnot would have watched, in addition to the kids that will anyway, if it had been a new dub. I really think they're a minority, and I think this might be better for Dragon Ball in the UK since we know the FUNi dub is very high quality, but I'm still personally disappointed that we don't have the Ocean dub yet. Hopefully we'll get it soon.
I think I've put it aptly in my previous post. The Ocean elitists have marginalised themselves, the licensor/distributor has'nt acted on their wishes and they are left with what has been released in the past, especially for that which was not the license of Funimation which only exists now in poor quality TV recordings, the Funi-Ocean dub of Z has not been released in any form in the past eight-ish years, Ocean's DB & GT were just for TV and people are now upset because they had assumed for a while, albeit with specious evidence that the UK was going to be Ocean for Kai, now it is known that UK at least will not be getting it. I very highly doubt a situation like in Canada for the Z series will exist were one dub gets broadcast but another dub gets the home video release, If I were a betting man I'd bet IF(it took a LONG time to get Z) there is going to be any Kai release it will be the US version.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm

I know we heard Drummond refer to the dub as the UK dub but is there video of Scott McNeil calling it that too? (or any video?)

I wonder if Kix screened both versions but FUNimation was cheaper or they were locked (or to simply not cause confusion) because the FUNimation season sets are coming out of the U.K

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 pm

I just registered to voice my opinion on this situation. Firstly I'm over the moon that DBZ is finally coming back on TV in the UK after 7 long terrible TV years.

I'm from the UK and am actually a huge fan of Funimation's dub of Z so I am very happy that we're getting their dub of Kai. Like one of the previous posters said a lot of Ocean fans are acting like we never got Funi's dub at all before. Obviously this isn't the case and I for one first fell in love with DBZ through watching re-runs of FUNi's Frieza saga on Cartoon Network UK back in the day. We got the Ginyu, Frieza, Garlic and Trunks sagas in FUNi's dub and even the Fusion saga for a while, and they were always my favourite sagas because of it. We also got most of the games in FUNi's dub and the Orange Bricks.

But don't get me wrong I also do like Ocean's dub. Their old dub of the Saiyan and Namek sagas was superb. It's just that when we received their later dub of the Android-Kid Buu sagas that it wasn't nearly as good as their early dub or FUNi's dub. The megaman music seemed to kill the emotion in DBZ and the voice acting wasn't nearly as good as before. For me personally, getting Westwood's Ocean dub ruined DBZ. It just felt like a cheaper, watered down version of the FUNi dub.

There is every chance that their dub of Kai is great but we don't know that for sure so, in my opinion, why risk getting a mediocre dub again when we can play it safe and get FUNi's dub of Kai which has already been established as great. Sure many people have already seen FUNi's Kai by importing DVDs but not everyone has. I haven't seen it yet and importing the DVDs of FUNi Kai is very expensive because their not in print as much as the Orange Bricks. It would have been the wrong move to air the Ocean dub imo, because we're getting the Orange Bricks in FUNi dub and have been getting the games in FUNi dub for almost a decade. Why confuse people and split the UK fan base even further?

For the sake of the Ocean fans I genuinely hope both dubs get a DVD release over here and I hope it lives up to your expectations. In the meantime I'll be happily watching my favourite dub on Kix and I think everyone else should do the same to help revive the series.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I haven't seen it yet and importing the DVDs of FUNi Kai is very expensive
Expensive?

DBZ Kai Season 1 - £28
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 369&sr=1-2

DBZ Kai Season 2 - £29
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 369&sr=1-4

DBZ Kai Season 3 - £20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 413&sr=1-2

DBZ Kai Season 4 - 12th March 2012 ( or Part 7 + 8 )

They're obviously not expensive and buying one at a time works out fine if you're short on money (or whatever reason), besides these sets aren't going OoP unlike the Parts so no need to rush.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm

You don't think $46 USD is expensive for a DVD? Hell I would'nt pay that for a Blu-ray either.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I haven't seen it yet and importing the DVDs of FUNi Kai is very expensive
Expensive?

DBZ Kai Season 1 - £28
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 369&sr=1-2

DBZ Kai Season 2 - £29
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 369&sr=1-4

DBZ Kai Season 3 - £20
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Ball-Kai ... 413&sr=1-2

DBZ Kai Season 4 - 12th March 2012 ( or Part 7 + 8 )

They're obviously not expensive and buying one at a time works out fine if you're short on money (or whatever reason), besides these sets aren't going OoP unlike the Parts so no need to rush.