Thoughts on Cell arc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Thoughts on Cell arc

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:51 pm

ABED wrote: That depends on one's point of view. Seeing as how humor is more prevalent in much of the series, when there's much less of it, in comparison, it can seem like there's very little. I for one have no problem if there's little humor in a given arc. Not every arc should be the same. Even the Buu arc's biggest problem wasn't the amount as much as when it was employed.

I agree about it being a critique quite unnecessary (I need to find one more objective critique) and that humor, in plots inherent to apocalyptic events, must be insert, attentively, with a dropper.
There must be a good overall balance between drama and comedy. I think the bow saiyan is a prime example.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:56 pm

I never saw the Cell arc on television but I was able to understand major plot points due to the video games.

That being said, I never liked the use of time-travel in Dragon Ball, at least in the way it was written. Numerous timelines and the story's complete lack of interest in their ontological implications made me feel that the arc was poorly written, even if the end results were satisfying to fans.

I found it annoying, but not necessarily impossible, that the Androids were stronger than Frieza and his subordinates. I would have liked to have seen what specifically made the Android's technology superior to that of the Saiyans' biology. Then again, an answer to this question is probably too deep for a Toriyama manga.

Another set of minor complaints are that, while I may be in the minority of opinion here, it sucks that we didn't get to see how Goku defeated King Cold & Frieza; The three-year gap interaction between Vegeta and Bulma; how the Z-fighters died against the Androids; Future Android #20, Future Android #19, and Future Android #16's appearance in the alternate timelines or any explanation for their lack of existence; a definite answer to the potential range for conception for Goten; and the fate of Main Timeline Android #16.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:09 pm

I would have liked to see the story of Gero and his son, on which he based his Android 16 (although I doubt that Toriyama had thought this at the time), and a possible connection to his death with Kid Goku.

But Toriyama has never studied anything of his manga.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 am

As a kid the cell arc was one of my favourite arc but now it is my least favourite.the biggest problem i have with this arc are the characters.besides blooma everyone is just absolutely retarded.they keep making stupid decisions one after another and it really irritates me.
This arc has a lot of great moments but moments dont make up for the weak storytelling atleast not for me.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:18 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:As a kid the cell arc was one of my favourite arc but now it is my least favourite.the biggest problem i have with this arc are the characters.besides blooma everyone is just absolutely retarded.they keep making stupid decisions one after another and it really irritates me.
This arc has a lot of great moments but moments dont make up for the weak storytelling atleast not for me.
This is another myth that hovers and that certain users continue to expose how objective defect. The characters have always had a good reason to make those decisions and, according to their knowledge, at the moment, these were even rationals.
They took the most stupid decisions in other arcs, but nobody talks about it. I don't know where this conviction is born.
Last edited by Gorou on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am

They're only stupid if you think their aim is to save the world.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 am

ABED wrote:They're only stupid if you think their aim is to save the world.
That has never been the main purpose of many of them, including Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 am

Gorou wrote:
ABED wrote:They're only stupid if you think their aim is to save the world.
That has never been the main purpose of many of them, including Goku.
True, which is what I was implying. Reckless is the more apropos adjective.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Gorou wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:As a kid the cell arc was one of my favorite arc but now it is my least favorite.the biggest problem i have with this arc are the characters.besides blooma everyone is just absolutely retarded.they keep making stupid decisions one after another and it really irritates me.
This arc has a lot of great moments but moments don't make up for the weak storytelling at least not for me.
This is another myth that hovers and that certain users continue to expose how objective defect. The characters have always had a good reason to make those decisions and, according to their knowledge, at the moment, these were even rationals.
They took the most stupid decisions in other arcs, but nobody talks about it. I don't know where this conviction is born.
Boo arc is criticized a lot for the stupid decisions the characters took and i see a lot of people talk about it.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Probably my favorite arc of the whole franchise, really.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Boo arc is criticized a lot for the stupid decisions the characters took and i see a lot of people talk about it.
The only really stupid decision in the Boo's arc is Vegetto that not kill Boo, but leaves absorb on purpose by him. Is the one where I don't see any logic.
The other, if we take the exams, are quite logical, and consistent with characters's personality.

Vegeta could compete with Goku only with Babidi's increase, and Goku could not know that Majin Boo would transformed in a more wicked and powerful version. Against Fat Boo, Gotenks had great chance ,even without SSJ3

In short, even many "idiot" decisions of the Boo's arc were motivated very well, like those of the Cell's arc.

However, I can find silly choices of the characters in the Piccolo, Saiyans and Freeze saga, which unlike the last two arcs, have no motivation.
Last edited by Gorou on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Gorou wrote: The only really stupid decision in the Boo's arc is Vegetto that not kill Boo, but leaves absorb on purpose by him. Is the one where I don't see any logic.
Vegetto let Boo absorb him so he can rescue Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Piccolo. It was pretty clear.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Gorou wrote: The only really stupid decision in the Boo's arc is Vegetto that not kill Boo, but leaves absorb on purpose by him. Is the one where I don't see any logic.
Vegetto let Boo absorb him so he can rescue Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Piccolo. It was pretty clear.
Could've just killed Boo then revived everyone with the Dragon Balls. They've got to use them anyhow to revive the general populace.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:16 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
Could've just killed Boo then revived everyone with the Dragon Balls. They've got to use them anyhow to revive the general populace.
Yeah, but that would be pretty fucked up. Also, that gave the excuse of Vegetto defusing.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:05 pm

There was a reason but was lacking of logic, even from his point of view. He could revived everyone with the Dragon Balls, e for this reason his entire tattic was pretty useless.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Say what you will about GT, but minus energy building up from overuse of the Dragon Balls was a great limitation. Because the Dragon Balls are often a cure all, the drama is often lacking.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

soppa saia people wrote: + The build up of Cell is great, super mysterious and overall cool
+ Cell's a great villain, cool back story, awesome design and both the original VA and the Funi VA are great
and cell's motivations to be a villain :lol:
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:21 pm

At least you can use the logic that Goku and Vegeta preferred to save their sons, rather than kill them by proxy. And that by saving them they had 3 fighters who could easily kill Buu.

With Cell you have
-Not being proactive against the Androids in the first place (but subsequently feeling that 17 and 18 were so much of a threat that they had to stop them from being released).
-Goku not taking his medicine for reasons...
-Vegeta after being humbled by 18, being a complete arrogant moron again, and letting Cell transform (which is hilarious after how he dealt with Freeza's transformations).
-Kuriren not blowing up Android 18 when he had the chance.
-Goku not training at all and putting all his eggs in the basket of Gohan, who would have been killed had Cell not been interested in pushing Gohan's limits.

That's a lot of convenient things happening and characters acting like idiots for the sake of the plot. Not to mention, that's BEFORE getting alternate timelines being used to handwave so many issues with the arc.

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

lancerman wrote:At least you can use the logic that Goku and Vegeta preferred to save their sons, rather than kill them by proxy. And that by saving them they had 3 fighters who could easily kill Buu.
There is no logic, no need to save three fighters to kill Boo, because a Boo would not exist, if they had killed the demon while were yet fused together. Also, this goes in contrast on what happens after: Goku saves Satan but not Gohan. Then, Vegetto wasn't even sure that his barrier, and his plan, would works. I really love the saga, but that episode is really forced, as Cell's regeneration.
-Not being proactive against the Androids in the first place (but subsequently feeling that 17 and 18 were so much of a threat that they had to stop them from being released).
Who? Vegeta and Goku wanted this, and this is perfectly consistent and in line with their characters and their motives. These two are fighters who crave challenges, not heroes.
-Goku not taking his medicine for reasons...
He had no symptoms and did not know how the sickness would be manifested. Trunks told him to take the medicine after the first symptoms and that, in his timeline, had died BEFORE the appearance of the two android.
-Vegeta after being humbled by 18, being a complete arrogant moron again, and letting Cell transform (which is hilarious after how he dealt with Freeza's transformations).
Fully in character. Vegeta has always been arrogant and has never learned one single lesson. Even the humiliation suffered by Goku's Kioken x3 hinted him that should not allow the enemy to be reinforced during the fight. He is so. He likes to humiliate the enemies. Become smart and tactical only in trouble situations. His decision to instigate Freeza to transforms was much more stupid, since it was already a critical situation. With Cell, also, could not know that Cell, which was incredibly weaker than him, would become so strong (5 times according to the reference available in the manga), and wasn't aware to his regeneration's ability (to the limit, even if it had overpassed him, he could count on the Final Flash as ultimate weapon). So that, taking account of his personality and his motivation (get satisfaction) makes perfect sense.
-Kuriren not blowing up Android 18 when he had the chance.
He didn't mean to kill her for love (this has been made clear to the reader chapters and chapters before) and why not considered evil, and why Cell, at the moment, was losing against Vegeta, and the Prince could easily kill him at any moment, making unnecessary the use of controller.
-Goku not training at all and putting all his eggs in the basket of Gohan, who would have been killed had Cell not been interested in pushing Gohan's limits.
He do not train, most likely, because it considered that an additional year of training would not guarantee further improvement to its Stadium FP, also because it considers the room a torture, more than a real training. The FP,very likely, at that point of the manga had been thought to be real the limit of SSJ (a SSJ2 not existed). Nevertheless, he fights against Cell and try to defeat him with the IT-Kmehameha combo (like Vegeta he didn't know that Cell could regenerate parts of his body, especially the head).
That's a lot of convenient things happening and characters acting like idiots for the sake of the plot
Absolutely not, there is always a reason, inherent in their personality, and a logic. There many other defects, but not these.
Not to mention, that's BEFORE getting alternate timelines being used to handwave so many issues with the arc.
The timelines are not a problem, because the whole thing is easily explained with metaphysical theory of the multiverse. This is one of the many ways granted by science fiction to eliminate temporal paradoxes.
apex_pretador wrote: and cell's motivations to be a villain :lol:
The only sensible motivation for a being created specifically to excel on all in combat. Another villain related to conquest, after Piccolo, Vegeta and Freeza, would be repetitive. Even Buu is particularly interesting for that, because he, like Cell, just wants to have fun
Last edited by Gorou on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 am

Kuririn Fan wrote: Yeah, but that would be pretty fucked up.
Piccolo did just that when he trapped everyone in the ROSAT with Buu.