How do you define a good dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you define a good dub?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:39 am

GamerSkull wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Accurate subs with the only deviations being where the japanese cannot be properly translated into English or whatever language the dub is.

Stuff like Kakarot instead of Kakaroto is fine though... so them needing to play around with Veggeto/Vegito/Vegerot might be a bit more understandable.
But Kuririn should not be Krillin... and Makankosappo should not be Special Beam Cannon. Stupid name changes like that should be avoided.
"Krillin" isn't a change. It's a legitimate stylized romanization of "クリリン". Obscure vowels like the first "u" can be dropped, and "l" and "r" are infamously interchangeable. It's not remotely comparable to "Special Beam Cannon".
Maybe... but it's weird when you see the Kuririn cap... and the fact that you cannot detect the pun in the "kuri" but I guess that can be attributed to the japanese not being able to properly translate... still Krillin seems like a stupid change.

Bulma has BULMA plastered over her clothes in the early episodes of Dragon Ball but I still see a lot of fans of the Japanese version call her Buruma. Which I suppose is still accurate but if we're going by your standards than Bulma would be the only correct one.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:
"Krillin" isn't a change. It's a legitimate stylized romanization of "クリリン". Obscure vowels like the first "u" can be dropped, and "l" and "r" are infamously interchangeable. It's not remotely comparable to "Special Beam Cannon".
Maybe... but it's weird when you see the Kuririn cap... and the fact that you cannot detect the pun in the "kuri" but I guess that can be attributed to the japanese not being able to properly translate... still Krillin seems like a stupid change.

Bulma has BULMA plastered over her clothes in the early episodes of Dragon Ball but I still see a lot of fans of the Japanese version call her Buruma. Which I suppose is still accurate but if we're going by your standards than Bulma would be the only correct one.
Fair enough, I guess. I forgot about that.

I guess I'll just say I prefer Kuririn then. It's not a dealbreaker if "Krillin" is used in the dub but I would want Kuririn.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:23 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I guess I'll just say I prefer Kuririn then. It's not a dealbreaker if "Krillin" is used in the dub but I would want Kuririn.
On the Brazilian dubs of Classic/Modern Dragon Ball they say Kuririn (unless they changed on Super which I doubt since they're so loyal).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.