Insights and Questions from the New Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:34 am

Tsukento wrote:
spikemcruffy wrote:So where is the ending for the special, wasn't it gonna be "Orange hero" jealkb?
This. I was wondering about that earlier.

Anyone got an explanation for this?
AH!!! I knew there was supposed to be an Ending. I thought I just made that up in my mind when there was none.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:44 am

Nah, you're not alone. I remembered that someone mentioned before the special aired that Abo and Cado were trying to take Freeza's place, but completely forgot about it until Herms brought up that the subs didn't even mention it.

Then I remembered about the song being announced, yet we still got CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA. o_o
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Tsukento wrote:
spikemcruffy wrote:So where is the ending for the special, wasn't it gonna be "Orange hero" jealkb?
This. I was wondering about that earlier.

Anyone got an explanation for this?
They left it out of the stream but will probably put it on the DVD?

temujin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by temujin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Also, Tarble knew about Freeza's defeat. He had to have known about Freeza's transformations (as did Vegeta to an extent), and factored that into the equation.
It is obvious that they are talking about freeza final form.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Zenkai Power wrote:
shinmaru wrote:I know now watching the end of this special.
That dragonball wil never show again in a serie so sad.
I think if GT had never been made we might stand a better chance. It kind of killed the starting point for Toriyama to work off of. I mean, that's what this special is... a contiuation of his ideas. He would either have to be forced into the concepts thought up in GT (which royaly messed up many things by it's end for it to continue) or just pretend it never existed.

(or explore this gap between GT and then)
Well, this is 8 years before GT, no? A lot could happen in 8 years. A 26 or 52 episode series could easely be made :)
*Yay, this is my 1000th post ^^;*

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:48 pm

sangofe wrote:
Zenkai Power wrote:
shinmaru wrote:I know now watching the end of this special.
That dragonball wil never show again in a serie so sad.
I think if GT had never been made we might stand a better chance. It kind of killed the starting point for Toriyama to work off of. I mean, that's what this special is... a contiuation of his ideas. He would either have to be forced into the concepts thought up in GT (which royaly messed up many things by it's end for it to continue) or just pretend it never existed.

(or explore this gap between GT and then)
Well, this is 8 years before GT, no? A lot could happen in 8 years. A 26 or 52 episode series could easely be made :)
*Yay, this is my 1000th post ^^;*
Or, you could just forget GT and do whatever. The special was celebrating Jump, not Toei. Jump had nothing to do with GT.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:56 pm

The special would be 8 years before Uub, so 13 years before GT.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 pm

sangofe wrote:Well, this is 8 years before GT, no? A lot could happen in 8 years. A 26 or 52 episode series could easely be made :)
Or they could not do that, and thereby avoid attempting to milk the dust that used to be fossilized bones that used to be a picked-clean skeleton that used to be the corpse of the cow of original ideas.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:48 am

Rocketman wrote:
sangofe wrote:Well, this is 8 years before GT, no? A lot could happen in 8 years. A 26 or 52 episode series could easely be made :)
Or they could not do that, and thereby avoid attempting to milk the dust that used to be fossilized bones that used to be a picked-clean skeleton that used to be the corpse of the cow of original ideas.
It doesn't has to be bad like GT was... 13 years, even better. Even more posibilities to make a new series. I'd love that. I'm pretty sure something awesome could be made.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:52 am

If there were to be a new series (not that I'm implying that there will be), I would hope it to be centered around Mr. Boo, Mr. Satan, and Bay.
(they/she)

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:01 am

If there was a new series I have no idea what it would be about... I mean what's left to do? (I'm not saying I do or do not want a new series)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:35 pm

How many fanfics are there? There are tons of things to make a series on. You just have to have imagination. Oh and the fanfic thing, I never said they were good. Just that I'm sure some of them somewhere must have a good idea.

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Has Goku ever referred to Muten Roshi as Grandpa before? I was kinda like "huh?" when I saw the special

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:43 pm

I think that was their loose translation of "old timer"?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Considering the release of the special has been but in Japanese how have fans taken to having to watch it in Japanese?
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 pm

jaywonder wrote:Has Goku ever referred to Muten Roshi as Grandpa before? I was kinda like "huh?" when I saw the special
All the time. It's a Japanese (Hm, maybe more Chinese?) thing; it's not particularly odd for a kid to refer to a random elder as "uncle" or "aunt" or "grandpa" in some places.
Which got translated as "Old-timer" somewhere over here (Was that Simmons' Subs, or Viz, or... eh, whatever). I suppose it might not be a straight-up "grandpa", and the "Old-timer" thing isn't bad... bugs me, though. :?
(Notice movie13, where Trunks calls Tapion "'niisan" from the get-go. Of course one of the major points of the movie is that Trunks thinks of Tapion as the brother he never had, but would you expect him to start calling him 'brother' in English all the time because of that? Hmm.).

Of course, I could be confused. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:30 pm

caejones wrote:
jaywonder wrote:Has Goku ever referred to Muten Roshi as Grandpa before? I was kinda like "huh?" when I saw the special
All the time. It's a Japanese (Hm, maybe more Chinese?) thing; it's not particularly odd for a kid to refer to a random elder as "uncle" or "aunt" or "grandpa" in some places.
Which got translated as "Old-timer" somewhere over here (Was that Simmons' Subs, or Viz, or... eh, whatever). I suppose it might not be a straight-up "grandpa", and the "Old-timer" thing isn't bad... bugs me, though. :?
(Notice movie13, where Trunks calls Tapion "'niisan" from the get-go. Of course one of the major points of the movie is that Trunks thinks of Tapion as the brother he never had, but would you expect him to start calling him 'brother' in English all the time because of that? Hmm.).

Of course, I could be confused. :?
In Japanese and Chinese culture, people often refer to eldery men as: 爺さん ([o]jii-san) in Japanese, and 公公 (gong gong)/老公公 (lao gong gong) in Mandarin. These are considered respectful terms and can be translated as "grandfather."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Considering the release of the special has been but in Japanese how have fans taken to having to watch it in Japanese?
Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have complained about it already. I haven't seen any myself, but I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who were like, "Ew. It's Girl Goku."

One of my online friends who had only seen the show in English saw the special a few days ago. It took a bit for him to get used to Goku's voice (he didn't seem bothered by Gohan or Goten, though) but he warmed up to the Japanese version real quick, regardless, because he really liked Vegeta's Japanese voice.
(they/she)