Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 am

Credit to Solidus09 of UKDB for this information.

According to Wikipedia, Ted Cole will reprise his role as Yamcha while Richard Ian Cox will voice Android 17 and Samuel Vincent will voice Krillin. As usual with Wikipedia take this information with a pinch of salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Vincent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ian_Cox
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:26 am

Citing an unsourced Wikipedia article is akin to believing school yard rumors that Goku turns Super Saiyan 87 in Dragon Ball KGTZ.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Goku turns Super Saiyan 87 in Dragon Ball KGTZ.
Oh, thanks for spoiling it for me! :evil:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
RazorX wrote:The Buu saga music was a mix of Megaman, Monster Rancher and original pieces specifically made for DBZ. I thought that the music from the former 2 shows fit DBZ really well, even more so than those shows. It's a bit uncanny how it worked out but I'd take that mix of music over an all original music if the said mix is better.
I always wanted to listen to Westdub's DBZ dub ("Ocean Dub") but apparently it was never released on CD or I'm just uninformed. :P
It wasn't released, unfortunately.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Optionally, if Ocean does get their dub published and on DVD with 5.1 audio it can be re-scored with Yamamoto's Kai soundtrack (I think).
Yep it should be able to.
Gonstead wrote:Samuel Vincent will voice Krillin.
What the hell? Hope that's not true.

But someone edited wiki to claim that the Ocean dub would be released in summer of 2011 so better to wait for a more reliable source.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm

penguintruth wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Sabat's vocal on Piccolo makes him sound like a black guy to me.
And what does a black guy sound like?

Does a black guy sound like a demon/alien to you? So all black people are alien demons trying to take over the world to you, huh?

Oh, oh, maybe he's "one of the good ones", huh? Some of your best friends happen to be alien demons, huh?

Damn racist.

:lol:
It's probably because of the inflection of his voice. Sabat is giving this vibe that is sort of akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Hell, Weekly Tube Show made all of the Namekians black stereotypes probably because of this.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Sabat's vocal on Piccolo makes him sound like a black guy to me.
And what does a black guy sound like?

Does a black guy sound like a demon/alien to you? So all black people are alien demons trying to take over the world to you, huh?

Oh, oh, maybe he's "one of the good ones", huh? Some of your best friends happen to be alien demons, huh?

Damn racist.

:lol:
It's probably because of the inflection of his voice. Sabat is giving this vibe that is sort of akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Hell, Weekly Tube Show made all of the Namekians black stereotypes probably because of this.
I don't think I'll get in...too much trouble...for sharing this story.

In January of '11, I attended Ohayacon (as an attendee, not a panelist). I don't have any other cons to compare it to, but it was an absolute blast, and one of the funniest parts of the experience was the Roast of Chris Sabat. The roastmaster kindly urged us not to record any audio or video of the event so that they could make whatever jokes they wanted (to quote the roastmaster, "Oh yeah, and PLEASE--no audio, no video, we'd like to keep our jobs!"). While completely understandable, it was still quite the pity, as I felt the roast to be much funnier than the average Comedy Central roast nowadays. Anyway, a certain voice actor/voice actress who will remain nameless made this one joke about Chris that got a lot of laughs.

"And as we all know, Chris is a very giving person, even recently donating a large amount to the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)...although to be honest, considering what his voice sounds like, that's probably the least he could do considering all the jobs he's probably taken from the black voice actors."

I debated whether or not I'd share that considering that that's a tricky joke to reiterate over the internet, where intentions can be misread, the content is out of context, and sarcasm is usually lost, so I won't post about this again (the fact that this is off-topic doesn't help matters). Suffice to say, people aren't alone in thinking Chris sounds like that...like I said, this joke got a lot of laughs.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 am

He has one of those "deep black-guy voices". But really, though those super deep voices may make people think "black guy", it's not like all black guys sounds that way, and I've known plenty of white guys with SUPER deep voices from my different Choir classes. It's stupid for people to think he sounds black. >_>

Anyways, I really don't like Piccolo with that super deep voice. Or Vegeta. I want to hear McNeil and Drummond again. A toned down version of Drummond's Vegeta would be amazing. XD
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 am

Gonstead wrote:Richard Ian Cox will voice Android 17
That would suck. I loved Ted Cole's Android 17.
Gonstead wrote:Samuel Vincent will voice Krillin.
Not a fan of this either but if he used his Edd voice from Ed, Edd n Eddy it would sound pretty similar to Terry Klassen.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:He has one of those "deep black-guy voices". But really, though those super deep voices may make people think "black guy", it's not like all black guys sounds that way, and I've known plenty of white guys with SUPER deep voices from my different Choir classes. It's stupid for people to think he sounds black. >_>

Anyways, I really don't like Piccolo with that super deep voice. Or Vegeta. I want to hear McNeil and Drummond again. A toned down version of Drummond's Vegeta would be amazing. XD
Well, he is voicing Garterbelt, a black priest, from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 am

Is this Garterbelt character Vegeta-like? Hmm... I'll have to YouTube some clips.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:02 am

Credit to Solidus09 at UKDB.

Another possible hint at Ocean Kai.

Unfortunately it seems the tweet was deleted.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 am

Eh, that's no real confirmation or anything.

Google Cache can probably show that page up, maybe.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Eh, that's no real confirmation or anything.
I think that's why he said it's a hint.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:22 am

Gonstead wrote:Credit to Solidus09 at UKDB.

They said that like a year or two ago!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:52 am

I'll just say that Sabat's Piccolo never sounded like a black guy to me. And besides, why would he? Sabat's white. I mean, I've heard people make jokes that Piccolo's basically "the token black guy of Dragon Ball Z", but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with Sabat's portrayal, which is just a deep, sagely voice anyway. He sounds nothing like Samuel L. Jackson.

McNeil's Piccolo was deeper anyway, and he certainly didn't sound black.

Ignoring the fact that there is no (universal or regional) "blaccent" anyway, unless you want to stereotype. Stop trying so hard to find things wrong in a perfectly decent performance from Sabat in Kai.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'll just say that Sabat's Piccolo never sounded like a black guy to me. And besides, why would he? Sabat's white. I mean, I've heard people make jokes that Piccolo's basically "the black guy of Dragon Ball Z", but it's just a deep, sagely voice. He sounds nothing like Samuel L. Jackson.

Ignoring the fact that there is no (universal or regional) "blaccent" anyway, unless you want to stereotype. Stop trying so hard to find things wrong in a perfectly decent performance from Sabat in Kai.
Well, to be fair, to say that a voice "sounds black" is not particularly wrong. I mean, on the one hand, there's something to be said for stereotyping, but on the other hand, I can tell you that on voice-casting websites that post jobs for voice actors, it's not at all uncommon to see jobs that specifically request either "urban-sounding" or, "African American-sounding" voices. Happens all the time.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:19 pm

The point isn't to "sound black", it's to "sound Piccolo". Which both McNeil and Sabat do pretty well by now.

Also, some of my best friends are Namekians.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:

They may have had a similar comment, but that screencap has references to the Euros, and given the last Euro Cup prior to this year's took place prior to Kai existing I suspect it's new.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:

They may have had a similar comment, but that screencap has references to the Euros, and given the last Euro Cup prior to this year's took place prior to Kai existing I suspect it's new.
I didn't say he was showing a cap from ages ago.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'll just say that Sabat's Piccolo never sounded like a black guy to me. And besides, why would he? Sabat's white. I mean, I've heard people make jokes that Piccolo's basically "the black guy of Dragon Ball Z", but it's just a deep, sagely voice. He sounds nothing like Samuel L. Jackson.

Sorry, if it I sounded racist then. :oops: I was really just speculating. Plus, weren't you the person who found the Weekly Tube Show's adaptation of Piccolo to be funny? Whatever, I find WTS to be funny too.

EDIT: Speculating is the wrong word. I was just adding on to what somebody else said about what Piccolo sounded to him. Japanese Piccolo certainly didn't give me this impression.