So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:Isn't that exactly what's happening every time a certain user starts a new thread bashing Dragon Ball, though? I think we're all getting a bit tired of it, it's blatant trolling.
Being critical of the franchise is OK. I do it on a daily basis. Most of you do, too, and just don't realize it until you're actively engaged in someone else's discussion.

You are not the series. Stop personifying the series and taking personal offense to its criticisms.

That being said, also worry about your own behavior rather than other users. Strikes are issued if and when they need to be. If you don't want to be a part of that group, be an awesome person and live up to the spirit of the rules you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.

Embarrassing baby-sitting aside, this thread has indeed gotten FAR off-track from its (perhaps) intended purpose. If folks continue to discuss things that are wholly unrelated to Dragon Ball in some way, the entire discussion will either be locked or cleaned-up substantially. Doing so takes time away from when the staff could be working on the larger website. If you enjoy the website that you're posting as a part of, keep this in mind when you make disparaging, rude, inflammatory, hostile, toxic, or otherwise unproductive posts. If you find any value in Kanzenshuu as a whole, you won't be that guy/gal.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Well actually that was the season-finale. Three out of the four season-finales the show has had so far has in some way shook up the status quo. (Granted the second season's was kinda minor, really only amounting to bringing in a couple of new recurring characters... Both season 3 and 4 were pretty significant game-changers however.) And no, the destruction of the library was a permanent thing... granted it was replaced by a freaking castle at the end of the episode, but yeah, that particular change actually stuck.
Yeah, that pretty much sounds like Namek -> New Namek to me. It's not the same, but it's better in a sense. The loss is still compensated by something better, much like DBZ "usually does".
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue May 13, 2014 8:21 am

Patrick wrote:Yeah, that pretty much sounds like Namek -> New Namek to me. It's not the same, but it's better in a sense. The loss is still compensated by something better, much like DBZ "usually does".
Yes, but the difference here is that the viewer has grown accustomed to Twilight's old library from the very beginning, thus having more of an attachment to it and feeling sadness over its destruction.

Can you honestly say that Namek, a bland planet introduced in the middle of the series and taken away in the middle of the series, was the same way for anybody?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

This thread made me think, could anyone here see Tara Strong (Twilight) on DBZ as anyone? For those not familiar with the name:

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Tara-Strong/

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu May 15, 2014 7:41 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Patrick wrote:Yeah, that pretty much sounds like Namek -> New Namek to me. It's not the same, but it's better in a sense. The loss is still compensated by something better, much like DBZ "usually does".
Yes, but the difference here is that the viewer has grown accustomed to Twilight's old library from the very beginning, thus having more of an attachment to it and feeling sadness over its destruction.

Can you honestly say that Namek, a bland planet introduced in the middle of the series and taken away in the middle of the series, was the same way for anybody?
Still reaching huh? Namek meant a lot to Piccolo when he arrived and saw the inhabitance. He found his homeland and united himself with people he thought he never had. Dende looks up to him, and he learns the origins of himself before Earth. It has enough significance. They are the origins of the first dragonballs. It was only side-noted because the arc was mainly about Freeza and outsmarting him at all costs.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:

Still reaching huh? Namek meant a lot to Piccolo when he arrived and saw the inhabitance. He found his homeland and united himself with people he thought he never had. Dende looks up to him, and he learns the origins of himself before Earth. It has enough significance. They are the origins of the first dragonballs. It was only side-noted because the arc was mainly about Freeza and outsmarting him at all costs.
Just because it might have meaning for a character, that doesn't mean it automatically has meaning for the viewer.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 15, 2014 7:59 pm

People sure the reader didn't feel sadness when Earth blew uo either.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Just because it might have meaning for a character, that doesn't mean it automatically has meaning for the viewer.
You can argue the same thing against your claim. Just because the Library may have been mentioned more often doesnt mean it meant more or held its wait in external significance.

MLP fans just seem to be overrating anything they can cherrypick from the show these days it seems just to push a skewed bias opinion.
TheGmGoken wrote:People sure the reader didn't feel sadness when Earth blew up either.
When were we ever meant to? The humans in DBZ are an insignificant collective of life who are only important under their right to live on Earth. They were never held at any higher standard in the series.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm

That's what I'm saying. I'm sure most fans don't care. Both in MLP and Dbz. It's to establish the person destroying it. When Pain destroyed the Leaf village it showed Pein dominance. I'm sure no one was sad.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm

How does DBZ not have a sense of loss? In the Saiyan Arc battle, half the cast dies in battle. Yes, they were brought back, but the heroes had to work their ass off to bring them back to life. It wasn't just magically done with them.

Android and Cell arc had great sense of loss too as I said in another thread.

So only Buu arc lacks a sense of loss, although I will miss Videl's hair. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Trunks's timeline is worse than a Zombie apocalypse IMHO. I missed Goten when he died. For like 3 episodes. I'm honestly confused about Dbz having no lose yet alone fans caring bout the cast

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:37 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I'm sure most fans don't care.
You obviously don't keep up with the bronies, then. They're pretty upset about it.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:I'm sure most fans don't care.
You obviously don't keep up with the bronies, then. They're pretty upset about it.
I'm sorry? But casual fans didn't really care. I check Twitter of MLP fans(girl and...,Bronies i guess) and ask my little sisters. I'm sorry I'm not a hardcore fan of a Pony show.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu May 15, 2014 10:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Embarrassing baby-sitting aside, this thread has indeed gotten FAR off-track from its (perhaps) intended purpose. If folks continue to discuss things that are wholly unrelated to Dragon Ball in some way, the entire discussion will either be locked or cleaned-up substantially. Doing so takes time away from when the staff could be working on the larger website. If you enjoy the website that you're posting as a part of, keep this in mind when you make disparaging, rude, inflammatory, hostile, toxic, or otherwise unproductive posts. If you find any value in Kanzenshuu as a whole, you won't be that guy/gal.
Says a man who abruptedly locked my "Uchiha Madara vs. DBZ" thread a few months ago. Do you even realize that this thread isn't even about DBZ, but mostly about MLP? To be honest, I don't even understand why you locked my thread, but allowed this thread to continue. I'm furious, yes. When I first came here, everybody had a little bit of fun with some liberty here and there. Right now, it isn't that. You had to be hard-nosed without some flexibility, which, quite frankly, turns me off big time.

To be a good administrator is to be a good listener to the members here. When they have a problem- really lingering problem, you should try to understand their concern and frustration and try to do something to make the forum a better and fun place. When they try to express their feeling on this matter, you shut them up and told them to follow the rules or else they are going to be banned, therefore revoke their access to the Kanzenshuu website, which I think is a bit too harsh.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Embarrassing baby-sitting aside, this thread has indeed gotten FAR off-track from its (perhaps) intended purpose. If folks continue to discuss things that are wholly unrelated to Dragon Ball in some way, the entire discussion will either be locked or cleaned-up substantially. Doing so takes time away from when the staff could be working on the larger website. If you enjoy the website that you're posting as a part of, keep this in mind when you make disparaging, rude, inflammatory, hostile, toxic, or otherwise unproductive posts. If you find any value in Kanzenshuu as a whole, you won't be that guy/gal.
Says a man who abruptedly locked my "Uchiha Madara vs. DBZ" thread a few months ago. Do you even realize that this thread isn't even about DBZ, but mostly about MLP? To be honest, I don't even understand why you locked my thread, but allowed this thread to continue. I'm furious, yes. When I first came here, everybody had a little bit of fun with some liberty here and there. Right now, it isn't that. You had to be hard-nosed without some flexibility, which, quite frankly, turns me off big time.

To be a good administrator is to be a good listener to the members here. When they have a problem- really lingering problem, you should try to understand their concern and frustration and try to do something to make the forum a better and fun place. When they try to express their feeling on this matter, you shut them up and told them to follow the rules or else they are going to be banned, therefore revoke their access to the Kanzenshuu website, which I think is a bit too harsh.
To be fair your matchup did not need its own thread. We have a All Purpose Versus Thread for a reason.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:47 pm

I've never seen this show, all I know of the show is the first 5 minutes of the pilot, which I didn't really find to be my thing. That and this fight. In all honesty, like people have said, the fight feels like what people who aren't involved with the show and feels more like what those people think it's about. You state that you feel that this fight is better than DBZ's actual fights. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to that, as I am to mine. And I feel that it is not. The fight feels choppy, going from shot to shot constantly, without any actual flow. We see the attack firing from one angle, the scene cuts, and we see the impact. Here's a scene from Goku vs Vegeta at the beginning of the Saiyan saga:

See how the scene flows? Yes, there's a cut, but the camera doesn't stay in one spot. Here's another scene from the Goku vs Cell fight:

Again, see how the camera glides along with the characters, and not to mention the overall speed of the scene.

I'm not an animator. I don't know how hard it is to make one of these scenes. But what we get is a very well-animated shot, but that's just my opinion.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri May 16, 2014 12:02 am

Your second image isn't linked properly.

Here it is:

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 16, 2014 12:02 am

dodge2461 wrote:I'm not an animator. I don't know how hard it is to make one of these scenes. But what we get is a very well-animated shot, but that's just my opinion.
Not all animators have the same skills. I haven't taken a gander at the credits and staff for the episode in question, but near as I can tell from the excerpt provided no talented director or animator was involved in the scene. American commercial cartoons tend to fear experimentation or collaboration with the Korean out-sourcing studios they use to animate shows, so the work usually has the same lack of oomph despite the higher budget and longer production schedule. The gif you posted from Dragon Ball Z Episode #31 was key animated by Hisada Kazuya based on a storyboard by Series Director Nishio Daisuke. Hisada is one of the better then-Seigasha animators, using Kanada Yoshinori-inspired techniques to give the limited number of drawings he was allowed to use some definite punch. The gif from Episode #179 was also directed by Nishio Daisuke and animated by a key animator from Studio Cockpit, a sub-contracting studio that has spawned numerous talents like Masunaga Keisuke, Iwane Masa'aki, and Tamagawa Akihiro.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Your second image isn't linked properly.

Here it is:

It's a terrible GIF anyway:

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 am

A better fight than dbz, I'm sorry, but, there's NO way, dbz had episodes where great animators were used, the blow exchange, beam animation, handmade instead of digital, it's imposible that a simple beam exchange of a pony show is better than all the fights in dbz, even Ben 10 has better animation than MLP.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.