Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:11 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Big Momma wrote: Goku made the (wrong) decision to put the fate of the world in their hands. Bulma (and probably Chi-Chi) made the opposite decision here.
They will regret it.
We shall see.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:11 pm

^I'm with you there.
Big Momma wrote:
Goku made the (wrong) decision to put the fate of the world in their hands. Bulma (and probably Chi-Chi) made the opposite decision here.
They will regret it.[/quote]

I never said Bulma's decision was right.

But, IMO, given Goten/Trunks/Gotenks track record against villains, they probably won't regret it.
Yep, they totally made the right call not letting them go out and protect people. I'm sure they'll cause more harm than good. Since Gohan and the rest are likely to fall as shown in the trailer, well at least the boys didn't fuck em over, or they'd have fallen sooner right?
As I said, I never meant to imply Bulma made a good decision. But she made one. And no one ever said the characters always made wise decisions. They certainly haven't always in the past.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm

bleed0range wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Not counting that is an excuse just to support a bad decision without sound logic. They have been shown to do just fine handling mooks. Also if Goku and Vegeta just jumped in to save the earth, why is Goku all "LOOK OVER THERE *ZIP*". Goku and Vegeta took an opportunity to barge into the fight. Gotenks could have easily deflected the blast no problem. If it was all about fixing a Gotenks fuck up, Goku wouldn't purposely hog Aka to himself.

Boo is overly resilient and very hard to kill. Aka was kill sniped by Goku because he wanted to fight real bad, just like Vegeta. We saw this when they both argued as they wanted to fight real bad.

It's not an excuse. But considering Toriyama is writing this and he doesn't really think about the side-stuff he didn't write (and probably hasn't seen any of those movies in 20 years, if ever)... it makes sense that as far as Toriyama's writing is concerned they've never done that. Besides, I'm not saying they couldn't handle the goons... I'm saying they're stupid fighters who put themselves and others in danger and thus far have proven to not actually be helpful so what is the point of involving them? That makes sense to me.
We're in a crisis where even Roshi points out 5 people is lacking for this fight...but they won't include Goten and Trunks. We see Gohan and Piccolo fall, which means everyone else for sure is likely to fall since they're weaker. Goten and Trunks would help defeat the mooks. They wouldn't attack their own friends and endanger anyone. We may not even have fights in the city as I don't think we've seen anyone fight there. It'd be them vs the mooks. This is a crisis where they need everyone they can get to help them stop Freeza's army. However the line is drawn here cause they need an excuse to cut Goten and Trunks out of the movie. It is an excuse as it's unlikely they'd cause more harm than good.
Big Momma wrote:
Yep, they totally made the right call not letting them go out and protect people. I'm sure they'll cause more harm than good. Since Gohan and the rest are likely to fall as shown in the trailer, well at least the boys didn't fuck em over, or they'd have fallen sooner right?
As I said, I never meant to imply Bulma made a good decision. But she made one. And no one ever said the characters always made wise decisions. They certainly haven't always in the past.
It's a cheap decision that makes no sense. Goten and Trunks aren't uncontrollable monsters who would fuck up. Boo is more likely to fuck up than them, and even they considered bringing him.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:14 pm

bleed0range wrote:
Kakarot9001 wrote:It would pretty fun if we had the chance to see SSJ3 Gotenks using his Continuous DIE DIE Missile to entirely vaporize all Freeza goons
See... instead of probably actually doing that... Gotenks would probably stop mid-fight and propose they come up with a new even grander attack that would really do justice to the amount of goons they were about to wipe out. Then while they're sitting there coming up with a good attack or a good name for the attack someone else would get hurt or killed or they'd get knocked down and their fusion would run out or Freeza would just blow the Earth up. This is the problem with Goten and Trunks. Maybe one day they'll learn how to be less irresponsible. Trunks of this timeline is nothing like the Future Trunks who came back. That Trunks was not an over confident spoiled child... the circumstances around him made him a better warrior and take things more seriously. This is the heart of the issue with these kids. Even a teenage Trunks now probably wouldn't be as smart of a warrior as Future Trunks was.
I kind liked what you said, but you see? That could be a big opportunity to develop their maturity... They are arrogant little brats when they fuse, and someone important or just innocent civilians could really die because of them playing around, that would be a perfect situation to make they be more mature
Last edited by Kakarot9001 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:17 pm

But, IMO, given Goten/Trunks/Gotenks track record against villains, they probably won't regret it.
What!? 0-1. Such a bad record. Fuck up one time and suddenly they're the worst. Goku,Gohan, and Vegeta have fucked up much worse.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 pm

I can't actually think of an instance where the two of them separately or as Gotenks ever did anything actually helpful to the situation. When Piccolo had to train them to do the fusion they were incredibly difficult and didn't take anything seriously... this was only multiplied by the fusion. Whenever they fight anyone they just play around and don't take the fight seriously. They only manage to waste time and only manage to not die BECAUSE of their strength. If they weren't so overpowered they'd have killed themselves a few times over.

So really, what have they ever done that didn't prove they're a bunch of irresponsible kids? They manage to not even be able to defeat Abo and Cado without Goku/Vegeta intervening. Despite their power they are not very useful... Goku was incorrect in placing so much on them in the Buu arc. At least Gohan was able to take thing seriously. Goten can get distracted by his own shadow and Trunks is too cocky.
Incorrect. During the fight with Super Buu, after Gotenks went SS3, he wasn't really screwing around anymore. He simply failed to kill Buu because Buu is super resilient and was hiding in a hole for half the battle. They toyed earlier, but that didn't actually affect anything. They had 5 minutes to win after going SS3 no matter what they did before (as evidenced by the fact that SS3 just drains their stamina, and has no effect on fusion time). Also, without them at least distracting Buu, he would have had zero reason not to blow up Earth right after transforming. Really, Gotenks was about ten times more useful than Goku in that arc, who's firmly in the negatives as far as "usefulness points" go. By this logic, Goku shouldn't be allowed to show up, since unlike Gotenks he actually avoided killing Buu when he had the chance.

Also, in the other movie where Freeza returned (which is shaping up to be ten times better than this), they handled mooks just fine. In the other movie involving the return of Freeza's forces, they also beat down Abo and Cado effortlessly without transforming (one-shotted him in the manga).

Anyway, it's pretty funny to read people trying to defend this movie for the same stuff that GT and some of the other movies get criticized for. Is that translation of the second chapter accurate? It seems to confirm that Goku really did use a blood ritual to take Gohan's ultimate power-up, since he can only go SS/SS2 now and wonders if he can even do that (ha). Also, everyone freaks out when it's announced that Buu isn't coming, which would support him being stronger than Gohan.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
We're in a crisis where even Roshi points out 5 people is lacking for this fight...but they won't include Goten and Trunks. We see Gohan and Piccolo fall, which means everyone else for sure is likely to fall since they're weaker. Goten and Trunks would help defeat the mooks. They wouldn't attack their own friends and endanger anyone. We may not even have fights in the city as I don't think we've seen anyone fight there. It'd be them vs the mooks. This is a crisis where they need everyone they can get to help them stop Freeza's army. However the line is drawn here cause they need an excuse to cut Goten and Trunks out of the movie. It is an excuse as it's unlikely they'd cause more harm than good.

It's a cheap decision that makes no sense. Goten and Trunks aren't uncontrollable monsters who would fuck up. Boo is more likely to fuck up than them, and even they considered bringing him.
As I've said before... strength doesn't just come in power. It also comes in the form of fighting intelligently. Having all that power means nothing if you don't know how to use it. Take Ginyu in Goku's body for example. Sure they might stop some goons... but I don't think the goons are the real thing they're worried about.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:26 pm

bleed0range wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

As I've said before... strength doesn't just come in power. It also comes in the form of fighting intelligently. Having all that power means nothing if you don't know how to use it. Take Ginyu in Goku's body for example. Sure they might stop some goons... but I don't think the goons are the real thing they're worried about.
Boo is less intelligent than the boys are, and yet he's considered to come. This guy is even more careless. So much so he's easily impressionable. He carelessly started the whole Battle of Gods problem with Beerus. Sure he wasn't told anything, but he still acted stupid over pudding.
RandomGuy96 wrote:
I can't actually think of an instance where the two of them separately or as Gotenks ever did anything actually helpful to the situation. When Piccolo had to train them to do the fusion they were incredibly difficult and didn't take anything seriously... this was only multiplied by the fusion. Whenever they fight anyone they just play around and don't take the fight seriously. They only manage to waste time and only manage to not die BECAUSE of their strength. If they weren't so overpowered they'd have killed themselves a few times over.

So really, what have they ever done that didn't prove they're a bunch of irresponsible kids? They manage to not even be able to defeat Abo and Cado without Goku/Vegeta intervening. Despite their power they are not very useful... Goku was incorrect in placing so much on them in the Buu arc. At least Gohan was able to take thing seriously. Goten can get distracted by his own shadow and Trunks is too cocky.
Incorrect. During the fight with Super Buu, after Gotenks went SS3, he wasn't really screwing around anymore. He simply failed to kill Buu because Buu is super resilient and was hiding in a hole for half the battle. They toyed earlier, but that didn't actually affect anything. They had 5 minutes to win after going SS3 no matter what they did before (as evidenced by the fact that SS3 just drains their stamina, and has no effect on fusion time). Also, without them at least distracting Buu, he would have had zero reason not to blow up Earth right after transforming. Really, Gotenks was about ten times more useful than Goku in that arc, who's firmly in the negatives as far as "usefulness points" go. By this logic, Goku shouldn't be allowed to show up, since unlike Gotenks he actually avoided killing Buu when he had the chance.

Also, in the other movie where Freeza returned (which is shaping up to be ten times better than this), they handled mooks just fine. In the other movie involving the return of Freeza's forces, they also beat down Abo and Cado effortlessly without transforming (one-shotted him in the manga).

Anyway, it's pretty funny to read people trying to defend this movie for the same stuff that GT and some of the other movies get criticized for. Is that translation of the second chapter accurate? It seems to confirm that Goku really did use a blood ritual to take Gohan's ultimate power-up, since he can only go SS/SS2 now and wonders if he can even do that (ha). Also, everyone freaks out when it's announced that Buu isn't coming, which would support him being stronger than Gohan.
Exactly. Can honestly no one admit they couldn't have come up with a better reason to cut their screen time? Are Toriyama and his team really so perfect with everything?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
What!? 0-1. Such a bad record. Fuck up one time and suddenly they're the worst. Goku,Gohan, and Vegeta have fucked up much worse.
Counting Abo and Kado, that's 0-2. And sheer wins-losses isn't what I meant. It's why they lost. They got careless/reckless and took things too far.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:

You say that he wasn't screwing around anymore yeah... but he failed to stop Buu. He just wasn't able to. And it doesn't matter anyway because he still did screw around which means he's an idiot. If he wasn't then that wouldn't have been a factor in the first place. Not defending the movie, just saying it makes perfect sense to me. I've never seen the kids actually do anything useful.

And yes they beat down on Abo and Cado, but I'm pretty sure Goku and Vegeta saw that they may get the earth blown up if they didn't step in so they did before it was too late. Not just for themselves but because they didn't think the kids might stop it in time due to their lack of experience. Abo and Cado were never a real threat though, that's why they let them fight them anyway... just as "training." They were ready to jump in and stop it when it became a real threat. That's the equivalent of teaching a child how to ride a bike or something and letting them go but being there in case they fall.

They're still children when it gets down to it. And they're not the brightest bunch.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm fine with Gotenks and the two spawns who make him being axed, hate all 3 of them and the less I see of them the better. Besides, knowing those numbskulls they'd fuse, charge at Freeza then get murdered because holy shit, charging in at a guy who can easily murder you is fucking stupid! Who knew! Yeah no, these fools would die and die horribly, although now that I think about it, it would've been a great joy for me to see that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Can honestly no one admit they couldn't have come up with a better reason to cut their screen time? Are Toriyama and his team really so perfect with everything?
I don't see a single person saying "this is literally the best way they could have handled not giving Goten, Trunks, and Buu screen time" or "everything Toriyama does is perfect".

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Big Momma wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
Counting Abo and Kado, that's 0-2. And sheer wins-losses isn't what I meant. It's why they lost. They got careless/reckless and took things too far.
They handled Abo Kado. They knocked his ass to the ocean. Then Avocado did his ultimate attack. How exactly did they fuck up? RandomGuy made a great post about Boo. Suggest you read it.

When was they careless or reckless? I'm not seeing how this is a good in universe reason. What's the out of universe reason?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Boo is less intelligent than the boys are, and yet he's considered to come. This guy is even more careless. So much so he's easily impressionable. He carelessly started the whole Battle of Gods problem with Beerus. Sure he wasn't told anything, but he still acted stupid over pudding.
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Exactly. Can honestly no one admit they couldn't have come up with a better reason to cut their screen time? Are Toriyama and his team really so perfect with everything?
It doesn't really matter. If Bulma says they're not fighting, who really defies Bulma? Not even Vegeta! Those women can be scary! haha. That's about all that matters. Maybe there's more to it then we are getting from these hasty translations... but it doesn't matter. Point is they're not here and I'm fine with that. It would have played out exactly the same way as it does in my mind. Which makes it boring.

Goten and Trunks:YEAH!!! LET'S DO THIS!! Fus-Ion-HA!!!
Gotenks: ALRIGHT BAD GUYS PREPARE FOR THE MIGHTY GOTENKS!!!
They then kill a few random goons in a very generic fashion. Possibly with some ridiculous funny attacks we've already seen before.
Gotenks: Hmmm... maybe we should try something new? A new attack. *thinks* No, No.. that's no good.
Meanwhile Gohan and Piccolo are being overwhelmed while they think.
Gotenks: ALRIGHT GUYS!! STEP-ASIDE!! We don't need to wait for our dads to get here... YAHHH!!
Transforms into SSJ3 Gotenks
Gotenks: We'll take care of Freeza all by ourselves!
Gohan: WAIT!
Everyone: Gotenks no!!!
Freeza: I tire of these childish antics. Perhaps a punishment is in order.
Freeza blasts the crap out of Gotenks and one-shots him. They fall to the ground and unfuse.
*end of Gotenks doing anything in the movie*

So who cares if they're there or not. Because I can pretty much just recite what they'd do. It doesn't matter. The movie and story can go on just fine without them. In fact, Dragon Ball was pretty awesome before their introduction too. It's only ONE movie anyway. They got their OWN movie once you know?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Zephyr wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Can honestly no one admit they couldn't have come up with a better reason to cut their screen time? Are Toriyama and his team really so perfect with everything?
I don't see a single person saying "this is literally the best way they could have handled not giving Goten, Trunks, and Buu screen time" or "everything Toriyama does is perfect".
I did ask the question earlier the former if anyone could at least say this could be handled better. I'm ok with people saying they're fine with this reasoning, but I wonder if anyone really thinks they couldn't have come up with another simple reason. Like simply say they are the final stand and protecting their loved ones if the soldiers try to go attack cities. I say this cause it seems everything is taking place in the wasteland and forest.
bleed0range wrote:It doesn't really matter. If Bulma says they're not fighting, who really defies Bulma? Not even Vegeta! Those women can be scary! haha. That's about all that matters. Maybe there's more to it then we are getting from these hasty translations... but it doesn't matter. Point is they're not here and I'm fine with that. It would have played out exactly the same way as it does in my mind. Which makes it boring.

They then kill a few random goons in a very generic fashion. Possibly with some ridiculous funny attacks we've already seen before.
Gotenks: Hmmm... maybe we should try something new? A new attack. *thinks* No, No.. that's no good.
Gotenks: ALRIGHT GUYS!! STEP-ASIDE!! We don't need to wait for our dads to get here... YAHHH!!
Freeza blasts the crap out of Gotenks and one-shots him. They fall to the ground and unfuse.

So who cares if they're there or not. Because I can pretty much just recite what they'd do. It doesn't matter. The movie and story can go on just fine without them. In fact, Dragon Ball was pretty awesome before their introduction too. It's only ONE movie anyway. They got their OWN movie once you know?
Actually that sounds pretty good and legitimately funny. Unlike stupid hells angels which seem to only be the catalyst to a short cameo, and a stupid concept of Freeza not being reincarnated long ago.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Are there any summaries of the Manga chapter yet?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:41 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
I did ask the question earlier the former if anyone could at least say this could be handled better. I'm ok with people saying they're fine with this reasoning, but I wonder if anyone really thinks they couldn't have come up with another simple reason. Like simply say they are the final stand and protecting their loved ones if the soldiers try to go attack cities. I say this cause it seems everything is taking place in the wasteland and forest.
bleed0range wrote:It doesn't really matter. If Bulma says they're not fighting, who really defies Bulma? Not even Vegeta! Those women can be scary! haha. That's about all that matters. Maybe there's more to it then we are getting from these hasty translations... but it doesn't matter. Point is they're not here and I'm fine with that. It would have played out exactly the same way as it does in my mind. Which makes it boring.

Actually that sounds pretty good and legitimately funny. Unlike stupid hells angels which seem to only be the catalyst to a short cameo, and a stupid concept of Freeza not being reincarnated long ago.
Why thank you for saying my idea was legitimately funny. lol. But it's literally just regurgitating what the movies always do. So that's my point it's kind of like, nothing new ... at this point. That's likely all it would be so I'd rather see something I couldn't have just guessed on the spot based on something that they essentially have done before in the past 20 years.

I DO think the reasoning for it is kind of lame. But hey, it is what it is. It may not even be an accurate translation of what was said or the movie may expand on it.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm surprised with how things escalated. I stopped reading this thread just before kei17's post at 12:26pm.

Well, I confess Tagoma surviving Freeza's attack was something I was expecting, because we didn't know what happened out of the ship. It would be a shame to dispatch him so quickly. Jaco saving him would be awesome and Tagoma's betrayal even more. I really apreciate these roles if they were to be confirmed.

As for the another tidbits, I understand the criticism side. It is weird not seeing Yamcha and seeing Roshi, specially for the reason it was given to his absence. I believe Gotenks or Boo will save Gohan and Piccolo though. Maybe all the Z fighters find a way to join the battle in the end. I would want it to be a secret.
Last edited by Hugo Boss on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 pm

It would have played out exactly the same way as it does in my mind. Which makes it boring
OR....Freeza sees Goten and thinks of Goku. Same with Trunks. And Freeza loses his shit and beats the SHIT outta both of them. Promoting everyone to attack . Then have Goten and Trunks attempt fusion but Freeza prevents it.

If Goten and Trunks appear because my hopes are gone. I'll point out every flaw Goten has and shave.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:43 pm

^ I do agree that would have been cool.
Zephyr wrote:
Yeah. I'm not saying they're being handled in the best way possible, either. And, personally, I would love to have them in the film. But I can still make sense of the characters' reasoning for not having them take part.
They handled Abo Kado. They knocked his ass to the ocean.
If you're talking about the "final" blow, that was Goku. After Gotenks got cocky and was nearly caught off guard by a blast, which he deflected and almost blew the gang up.

Then Avocado did his ultimate attack. How exactly did they fuck up? RandomGuy made a great post about Boo. Suggest you read it.

When was they careless or reckless? I'm not seeing how this is a good in universe reason. What's the out of universe reason?
They spend a lot of their time trying to look cool and come up with attack names. Even unfused they didn't really take Piccolo's training seriously the entire time.