Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:51 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Well...at least the art is fantastic.
I agree with Kaiserneko's post way back...if it weren't for the art...I would have quit a long time ago. Gogeta Jr was fantastic and he kept me coming back. The other's vary...but Asura is amazing as well. Just as likable as Gogeta Jr for me.
Gotta remind myself to get ahold of Asura's contact information and see if he/she is available after Multiverse.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:54 am

I think they made Goku go SSj3 just to look to cool.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 am

Is it me or is Goku's pose very similar to the pose he was in when fighting Hildegarn in Wrath of The Dragon when Goku shouts "I'm still standing".
Last edited by KentalSSJ6 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:08 am

I like how Vegeta just stands there. Like a boss. 8)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I like how Vegeta just stands there. Like a boss. 8)
On the outside. On the inside he's like this:

"Kakarot has Super Saiyan 3.... why can't I have Super Saiyan 3?" :cry:
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:I might be looking to far into this but the fact that Goku keeps using level 3 makes me think he's surpassed it.
Doubtful...I'm pretty sure it was said there will be no SSJ4 and SSJ God...

I agree with the other's who say SSJ3 was overkill...I think it is...Maybe Pan could have gotten hurt...but nobody else would get hurt. No way the audience would get hurt as Broly and Vegetto barely pierced the shields in their beam clash.
Sure, but having that whole area (the balconies) destroyed would also be a nuisance. Also, Videl and Bra at least would also get hurt.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Goku didn't even use Super Saiyan 3 when all of the tournament goers, including Ultimate Gohan and SS1 Bra, were being swallowed by Majin Buu :|
I agree that he should have used it then.
dbzfan7 wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Well...at least the art is fantastic.
I agree with Kaiserneko's post way back...if it weren't for the art...I would have quit a long time ago. Gogeta Jr was fantastic and he kept me coming back. The other's vary...but Asura is amazing as well. Just as likable as Gogeta Jr for me.
I don't really agree. I see other fan mangas out there, and in this section, like Dragon Ball New Age, Dragon Ball S, and others, and even forgetting about art quality, I can't help but consider DBM superior to most of them. Everything must be rated with a fair and correct perspective. DBM is one of the better fan mangas out there, even not considering the art. Sure it has a bunch of flaws, but its a fan manga and we should compare it to its peers. And its very enjoyable, at least for me, one of the most enjoyable ones and definitely worth following.

I mean, which fan mangas out there are superior? Who wants to be a superhero? Definitely superior. Toyble's manga? Hmm, maybe, some stuff in there is definitely superior. What else? Dragonball Shippuden? Too early to tell, even though I enjoyed what is already available. What else? Can't think of any, even forgetting about the art. And of the ones I mentioned only Who wants to be a superhero I feel confident in saying that its definitely superior overall.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 am

Look up Dragonball EX.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 am

rereboy wrote:I mean, which fan mangas out there are superior? Who wants to be a superhero? Definitely superior. Toyble's manga? Hmm, maybe, some stuff in there is definitely superior. What else? Dragonball Shippuden? Too early to tell, even though I enjoyed what is already available. What else? Can't think of any, even forgetting about the art. And of the ones I mentioned only Who wants to be a superhero I feel confident in saying that its definitely superior overall.
Dragon Ball AF, Dragon Ball After the Future, Dragon Ball New Age, and Dragon Ball EX are better than Dragon Ball Multiverse IMO.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 am

Goku's hair is a bit strange in the last panel, it looks like it's his normal SSJ(2) hair but with the longer SSJ3 strands added around it very bluntly. I can't not see the SSJ(2) hair.

Still amazing art though of course.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 am

I have to agree with that, and I don't even like all of those all that much. After the Future is probably my favourite of them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Look up Dragonball EX.
I'm familiar with it, even though I didn't mention it by name. I just mentioned a few as examples.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Dragon Ball AF, Dragon Ball After the Future, Dragon Ball New Age, and Dragon Ball EX are better than Dragon Ball Multiverse IMO.
Like I said, Toyble's manga is maybe superior. Some parts are definitely superior. I just can't really decide for sure which one I find the better one overall.

The others you mentioned, sorry I just don't agree that they are superior. At all.

One other Fan Manga that would probably be superior is Dragon Ball Universe F, but the author abandoned the project very early so I can't consider it superior.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:14 pm

rereboy wrote:Like I said, Toyble's manga is maybe superior. Some parts are definitely superior. I just can't really decide for sure which one I find the better one overall.

The others you mentioned, sorry I just don't agree that they are superior. At all.
I can see the reason, I don't believe they are better by far, I like these 4 better because we see the main characters evolving and facing new threats, which is what we would have seen in the series had it continued. They all have their flaws, and all of them have ideas that I don't like, but they also have ideas that I really like. But I don't like the inconsistent art style in DBM through the main story & the specials, especially when the art isn't Toriyama-like, and there are times where I disagree with DBM's logic. Plus, the dialog doesn't always feel like something we would have heard in Dragon Ball.

But I still find DBM great.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Salagir posted:

> Use of SSJ3:
Goku used this transformation not to stop Baddack, but to stop the ki ball itself. He did so also in a way to keep all his friends around safe, by putting enough energy to absorb the impact himself instead of letting destruction comes on the sides. In order to to that, you need to use more power than the attack itself.
So there is no rule break here, Goku just acted as a wall. As it's on his balcony, it will be accepted.

I agree that a lesser transformation would have been enough, but for such a quick action, it's more efficient to just use your maximum power. Goku didn't take the time to see what was the power level of the attack and transform in an adequate manner. He masters SSJ3 well and needs it for a second. There is no reason to try lower.

And rule of cool.

> U19 special
Way down in the list of priorities. But you will learn more about them in the next flash back.

> Super Saiyan God
Non-canon in DBM.

> (did salagir forget his own idea of that ssj3 isn't something that can be mastered, because the stronger you are the shorter it lasts?)
It doesn't last long, but it's usable. Goku does master it, but don't intend to use it for hours.
Another hint was given about this: Vegeta while they were protecting themselves against Buu. Vegeta says he can go on in SSJ2 for hours. That is true and that's not possible in SSJ3.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:10 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
rereboy wrote:I mean, which fan mangas out there are superior? Who wants to be a superhero? Definitely superior. Toyble's manga? Hmm, maybe, some stuff in there is definitely superior. What else? Dragonball Shippuden? Too early to tell, even though I enjoyed what is already available. What else? Can't think of any, even forgetting about the art. And of the ones I mentioned only Who wants to be a superhero I feel confident in saying that its definitely superior overall.
Dragon Ball AF, Dragon Ball After the Future, Dragon Ball New Age, and Dragon Ball EX are better than Dragon Ball Multiverse IMO.
I agree with this. But had DeadlyChestnut continued Universe F. That would have been my favorite fanfic. DBM IMO was only good for like 10 chapters. Then it just went down to average. Which isn't bad. Just....not good in my eyes.
Goku's hair is a bit strange in the last panel, it looks like it's his normal SSJ(2) hair but with the longer SSJ3 strands added around it very bluntly. I can't not see the SSJ(2) hair.
Maybe originally Goku was suppose to be a SSj2 but Asura was told or made the decision to make GOku SSj3 at the last second. I doubt it though.
One other Fan Manga that would probably be superior is Dragon Ball Universe F, but the author abandoned the project very early so I can't consider it superior.
Not sure if you found it cause of my thread(http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=25493) or you found it on DevianArt. But if you did find it on my thread. Turns out he had a chapter 2 :lol: . I'll be updating the thread. But yea I wished he haven't cancelled the manga after 2 chapters. Would love to see how it would turn out.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:51 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I agree with this. But had DeadlyChestnut continued Universe F. That would have been my favorite fanfic. DBM IMO was only good for like 10 chapters. Then it just went down to average. Which isn't bad. Just....not good in my eyes.
Up until Chapter 13 ended, Dragon Ball Multiverse was awesome, maybe better than the other 4 fan-mangas. The story was fun & interesting , and so were the fights. I really liked the whole Broli incident as well, his fight with Vegetto, Vegetto's awesomeness, and the fight with Boo in space. Even the specials back then were uncommon and small, and even though the 2nd Broli special was bigger than normal chapter, it was interesting and nicely drawn.

But with Chapter 14, it went downhill. We were (and still are) getting a special (or even 2 a few times) after every main chapter, and many of them are unrelated to the main story events at the time, and some of them are also not drawn in DB-style, which isn't a good thing IMO. Fan ideas that I (or logic at one point) don't agree with pop up, and the humor is also average IMO. The only interesting thing that happened since the Broli incident was when Boo went out of control, and it didn't even last long.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:03 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: The only interesting thing that happened since the Broli incident was when Boo went out of control, and it didn't even last long.
Had that Boo incident went on longer. I would been fucking marking out like this Image

I was so excited when Boo went crazy. Until Gast fucked everything up. Until then it's been boring.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: The only interesting thing that happened since the Broli incident was when Boo went out of control, and it didn't even last long.
Had that Boo incident went on longer. I would been fucking marking out like this Image

I was so excited when Boo went crazy. Until Gast fucked everything up. Until then it's been boring.
I agree with these two posts.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:08 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:...
I find your focus on the specials strange... The specials are filler, to put it bluntly. They only exist to give more time for the artist to draw and are entirely skippable since they are announced in advance and the main story is self contained, you don't need the specials at all to follow the main story.

In short, they are glorified mini-comics (that they also use to gain some time) with a relation to the story. When I think of DBM, I don't even remember the filler, AKA the specials, because I pay as much attention to them as I do towards mini-comics. The main story is what DBM really is.

And that covers most of your complains about DBM, which is rather interesting, because if you actually viewed the issue like me, then most of your complains wouldn't even exist.
TheGmGoken wrote: Not sure if you found it cause of my thread(http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=25493) or you found it on DevianArt. But if you did find it on my thread. Turns out he had a chapter 2 :lol: . I'll be updating the thread. But yea I wished he haven't cancelled the manga after 2 chapters. Would love to see how it would turn out.
There had been a previous topic dedicated to DB Universe F on this section before you made your own. That's when I discover it. When the author dropped it, the topic died.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:25 pm

rereboy wrote:I find your focus on the specials strange... The specials are filler, to put it bluntly. They only exist to give more time for the artist to draw and are entirely skippable since they are announced in advance and the main story is self contained, you don't need the specials at all to follow the main story.

In short, they are glorified mini-comics (that they also use to gain some time) with a relation to the story. When I think of DBM, I don't even remember the filler, AKA the specials, because I pay as much attention to them as I do towards mini-comics. The main story is what DBM really is.

And that covers most of your complains about DBM, which is rather interesting, because if you actually viewed the issue like me, then most of your complains wouldn't even exist.
I understand completely the role & the reasons the specials exist. But they are still a big part of the comic which can't be ignored, filler or not. Even with DBZ for example, you can't say "I love everything in it, except for the filler stuff", because filler is still part of the series no matter what. Just because they are filler doesn't mean they don't "count".

And also, the majority of my post was about the main comic, not the specials.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Up until Chapter 13 ended, Dragon Ball Multiverse was awesome, maybe better than the other 4 fan-mangas. The story was fun & interesting , and so were the fights. I really liked the whole Broli incident as well, his fight with Vegetto, Vegetto's awesomeness, and the fight with Boo in space. Even the specials back then were uncommon and small, and even though the 2nd Broli special was bigger than normal chapter, it was interesting and nicely drawn.

But with Chapter 14, it went downhill. We were (and still are) getting a special (or even 2 a few times) after every main chapter, and many of them are unrelated to the main story events at the time, and some of them are also not drawn in DB-style, which isn't a good thing IMO. Fan ideas that I (or logic at one point) don't agree with pop up, and the humor is also average IMO. The only interesting thing that happened since the Broli incident was when Boo went out of control, and it didn't even last long.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:52 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: I understand completely the role & the reasons the specials exist. But they are still a big part of the comic which can't be ignored, filler or not. Even with DBZ for example, you can't say "I love everything in it, except for the filler stuff", because filler is still part of the series no matter what. Just because they are filler doesn't mean they don't "count".
Yes, they can. I do it all the time. As long as its filler and its entirely skippable, if I don't like it, I just choose to ignore it. For example, Garlic Jr saga. Entirely skippable and I don't really like it. So, when I watched the anime, I would just skip it and ignore it. And when I think about the Dragon Ball anime, I don't even remember Garlic Jr saga unless something makes me remember it. And do I even think about it when I think about the worth of Dragon Ball anime? Not really. Its the filler than its right on the middle of the canon stuff and can't be skipped that can't really be ignored. Ignoring Garlic Jr saga? Incredibly easy.

In DBM its even easier, since its even clearer that its just for padding and most or all of it is of needless stuff. We can tell that its really just to give us something to look at until the main story resumes. And, unlike stuff like Garlic Jr, we know in advance when its going to start and when its going to finish. So ignoring it? I don't even pay much attention to it. In ideal conditions the specials wouldn't even exist! So, is it really fair to decrease significantly the "rating" of the fan manga because of them? I don't really think so, honestly. At most, because of the specials, if I gave DBM a 5.0, it would decrease to 4.7 or something like that.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
And also, the majority of my post was about the main comic, not the specials.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Up until Chapter 13 ended, Dragon Ball Multiverse was awesome, maybe better than the other 4 fan-mangas. The story was fun & interesting , and so were the fights. I really liked the whole Broli incident as well, his fight with Vegetto, Vegetto's awesomeness, and the fight with Boo in space. Even the specials back then were uncommon and small, and even though the 2nd Broli special was bigger than normal chapter, it was interesting and nicely drawn.

I'm sorry, but you only refer to exclusive flaws of the main story in your last two sentences. Before that it was about the specials. The exclusive main story flaws you mention are average humor in the latest chapters, a few ideas that didn't please you and lack of interesting stuff. And I do agree with those flaws, actually. But I actually think that the other fan manga actually are worse in these areas, they are worse with the fan ideas, humor and interesting stuff, IMO.