Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:42 am

For a limited release, this movie just doesn't wanna leave the big screen, haha.
http://www.hoyts.com.au/movies/hoyts_pl ... _gods.aspx

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I actually managed to score an early copy at AWA this weekend. On Friday we were at the Dealers' Room just browsing around and I was looking at some of the DVDs at one of the booths. I saw a stack of Battle of Gods and figured that it was being sold early as a con exclusive. However, a while later we passed by the official Funimation booth and noticed that there wasn't a copy in sight even though they had other con exclusives (such as One Piece Film Z). I told the woman there about the booth selling BoG and asked if they were allowed to do that. I didn't tell them I'd bought a copy, however. I probably should have. Anyways, the woman didn't say yes or no to the question, and instead asked where the booth in question was. Since it had been a while I didn't remember it's location, but I do feel a little bad about the whole thing. I probably should feel bad since I didn't tell the Funi guys that I bought it, I didn't return it to the booth I bought it from, and I even cancelled my preorder and got Yuko Minaguchi to sign the thing... I dunno. I'll let you guys be the judges. I'm at school now so I can't post pictures at the moment, but I'll post them later on if you guys want. Unless me buying the movie two weeks early is illegal. Then I'll probably be doing time. Haha.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:For a limited release, this movie just doesn't wanna leave the big screen.
Which shows that Dragon Ball isn't just a Japanese classic it's a world classic that everyone loves which is very good cause that means we will at least keep getting movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5153
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: The Crossroads

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:16 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:I actually managed to score an early copy at AWA this weekend. On Friday we were at the Dealers' Room just browsing around and I was looking at some of the DVDs at one of the booths. I saw a stack of Battle of Gods and figured that it was being sold early as a con exclusive. However, a while later we passed by the official Funimation booth and noticed that there wasn't a copy in sight even though they had other con exclusives (such as One Piece Film Z). I told the woman there about the booth selling BoG and asked if they were allowed to do that. I didn't tell them I'd bought a copy, however. I probably should have. Anyways, the woman didn't say yes or no to the question, and instead asked where the booth in question was. Since it had been a while I didn't remember it's location, but I do feel a little bad about the whole thing. I probably should feel bad since I didn't tell the Funi guys that I bought it, I didn't return it to the booth I bought it from, and I even cancelled my preorder and got Yuko Minaguchi to sign the thing... I dunno. I'll let you guys be the judges. I'm at school now so I can't post pictures at the moment, but I'll post them later on if you guys want. Unless me buying the movie two weeks early is illegal. Then I'll probably be doing time. Haha.

I wouldn't worry about it, dude. I'm no law major, but I wouldn't think you'd be at fault for buying it. It'd be the sellers who are in trouble. But even if you "could" get into legal trouble, I don't imagine you would. Especially since it comes out in a week anyway. People who ordered it from RIghtstuf may get it early, as well.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

User avatar
SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:43 pm

So OmegaRockman you going to upload some pics?

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 am

Pictures!

Image

Image

Also, I spot checked the dub of the additional scenes. They're using Nadolny and Young for the bits in the opening featuring Kid Goku and Freeza. I coudn't tell if they used anything for Kid Gohan, though, and the Freeza bit was really quiet, so it's obvious that they're not trying to draw attention to the old dub voices in those parts. Also, there's an awesome reference to the Badman shirt in the dub during the scene when everyone applauds Vegeta for being a good guy. I have videos below. I won't keep them up for too long, though (maybe a day or so), so watch them now while you can:

Nadolny and Young: http://youtu.be/vyS83nHji_A

Reference to Badman shirt: http://youtu.be/Bn4D6_0JfDs

Ice Cream scene (Someone asked for it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qbP-H ... e=youtu.be
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8869
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

OmegaRockman wrote:Nadolny and Young: http://youtu.be/vyS83nHji_A
Whoa, now THAT'S unexpected. I mean...Linda Young still works for FUNi from time to time, so that's slightly less shocking, but Nadolny? Is it possible they just re-used some old audio there?

Also, thanks for the clips! Really hoping mine will ship out soon, grr.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8126
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:Nadolny and Young: http://youtu.be/vyS83nHji_A
Whoa, now THAT'S unexpected. I mean...Linda Young still works for FUNi from time to time, so that's slightly less shocking, but Nadolny? Is it possible they just re-used some old audio there?

Also, thanks for the clips! Really hoping mine will ship out soon, grr.
It's quite lazy, too.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 17865
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

I don't know the dub dialog well enough to make the call, but yeah, I'd bet it's all just archived recordings, perhaps even from games (not sure if they'd even be allowed to use game audio, but Sabat would certainly have it all to grab from and could just kinda forget / not bother to tell anyone he was using it).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: April 2026 |] ::

User avatar
MagicBox
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: On The Forums... Duh!
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by MagicBox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 am

I'm glad they used Nadolny and Young's voices, even if I can't stand the latter's Freeza. It's a Z movie, so consistency with Z just makes me happy. If only they had been this consistent with the first three DB movies...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3816
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:58 pm

MagicBox wrote:I'm glad they used Nadolny and Young's voices, even if I can't stand the latter's Freeza. It's a Z movie, so consistency with Z just makes me happy. If only they had been this consistent with the first three DB movies...
I agree. 1 thing I just wished tiffany vollmer could have voiced Bulma. I don't really have a problem though with the voice actor who played Freeza in Kai though.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5745
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

That "It's time for your terror to end!" Nadolny line is definitely stock footage.
I just recently re-watched the King Piccolo Saga and it's the exact same line.

Can't say for the rest though as they were drowned out by the Narrator, but I'd guess it's the same scenario.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15307
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm

The "Bad Man" clip was delightful. X3
I normally prefer direct translation, but I did enjoy that bit.

Also I can't unhear Dandy from Space Dandy when Whis talks. ^^;
They are distinctly different tonally though.
On hiatus.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am
Location: Spain

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:46 pm

"Badman". That is pure gold. I don't mind a certain degree of script rewriting if it's for things like this.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:21 pm

So, Marron did make a few sounds in that clip as well. Poor Marron, afraid of scary Whis...
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5745
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:So, Marron did make a few sounds in that clip as well. Poor Marron, afraid of scary Whis...
I think any three (I think?) year old would be scared of giant blue guy with a floating ring around his head that popped up outta nowhere, then came in through the window with some sort of magic. :D

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11378
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I think any three (I think?) year old would be scared of giant blue guy with a floating ring around his head that popped up outta nowhere, then came in through the window with some sort of magic. :D
She'd be ~7. Born in AGE 771 and the movie takes place in AGE 778.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
ShadowDude112
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by ShadowDude112 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 pm

So BoG has clearly reached retailers. Maybe Rightstuf isn't going to ship it early. I mean, we're a week away from release and no one's order is shipping out.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If Toriyama joined Kanzenshuu, he'd probably forget his login name and password.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

User avatar
SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm

ShadowDude112 wrote:So BoG has clearly reached retailers. Maybe Rightstuf isn't going to ship it early. I mean, we're a week away from release and no one's order is shipping out.
Man that sucks was really hoping they would ship it early that was a big reason why I pre-ordered it lol

Codarik
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 am
Location: Snake Way

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Codarik » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Nadolny and Young: http://youtu.be/vyS83nHji_A

Ice Cream scene (Someone asked for it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qbP-H ... e=youtu.be
I'm assuming they also took a previous recording of Dameon Clarke as Cell at the end that clip aswell?

But damn, that ice cream scene makes me wish McCoy was available for 18 in Kai.

Post Reply