Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot9001
Banned

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Do Whis have God Ki as well?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Do Whis have God Ki as well?
Probably yes. Kaio said that Goku couldn't sense Beerus because he was a god, and Goku couldn't sense neither Beerus nor Whis. Plus, it is implied in the manga that Kibito has godly ki as well (he has the same type of energy like Kaioshin, which couldn't be used for Boo's revival according to Dabra), so attendants seem to have godly ki as well. So, it would be safe to assume that Karin & Mr. Popo have godly ki too.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 pm

If King Kai can sense Beerus then he must have Godly Ki too yet Goku could sense him just fine.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 pm

At what point can we unlock a second custom character slot?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm

A quick reminder:

This thread is for news and discussion about the 2013 film, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.

It is not the place for the discussion of in-universe details; that belongs in In-Universe Discussion.

It is also not the place for Dragon Ball Xenoverse. That goes in its own thread in the Video Games section.

Apart from discussion of the upcoming release of the Japanese "Special Edition" (containing the extended version of the film aired in March 2014), as well as any further overseas releases, the thread is really winding down at this point. No need to keep it artificially near the top by filling it with less-than-relevant posts.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:00 am

I know all of that, this was a technical mistake. I accidentally had the wrong tab open in my browser.(I meant to post that in xenoverse). I hope that's clear now lol.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:45 am

2 questions

1. Will BoG ever air on Toonami?

2. Did Korea get a DVD release of BoG?

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:02 am

Assuming Toonami keeps going, I'm sure ONE DAY BoG will appear on it.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Sometimes, the Japanese marketing/releases can be very weird.
Supposedly, they would have everything first, but for this extended edition, we are more than one country to have it already available and Japan will get it only in a while.

This is really weird how other countries got it before Japan, I don't think this ever happens, at least with the Dragon Ball franchise (except maybe for a few video games releases).

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Well the Kais were all born from the same source, which must be godly in origin or close to it. However I seem to recall that Piccolo could sense South Supreme Kai's ki during the tournament, only that it felt strange to him. And I believe Babidi later said he couldn't use the ki of the kais because it was of a heavenly nature and thus too pure to be used in Buu's revival. Kinda like how it was explained that Kid Buu absorbing the Supreme Kai's had actually diminished his power instead of increasing it.

I don't feel that the Kais are in the same godly category as Beerus and Whis. They're more like middle-management types and their ability to sense the presence of the Gods may stem from the source of their creation. And the fact they've been at this job for tens of millions of years and can detect the goings-on across a cosmic scale (despite their perpetual laziness in actually doing their jobs).

One thing different about the movie I will venture on, which may just be the English Dub, but I call absolute BS on Bulma claiming she's 38. I mean even Oolong is calling her out on her BS. Bulma's not 38 in BoG. She's 46. Which means her mother is at least 62.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Zelvin wrote:However I seem to recall that Piccolo could sense South Supreme Kai's ki during the tournament, only that it felt strange to him.
Piccolo never specifically said he sensed Kaioshin's ki.
And I believe Babidi later said he couldn't use the ki of the kais because it was of a heavenly nature and thus too pure to be used in Buu's revival. Kinda like how it was explained that Kid Buu absorbing the Supreme Kai's had actually diminished his power instead of increasing it.
That was never claimed either, but it is a popular interpreation as some fans use it to justify Kid Buu being stronger than some other forms of Majin Buu.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 am

So is there anyone, anyone at all who's picking this up in a couple of days' time? :P
I feel like this release is kinda falling under the radar a bit. What are the odds that it'll have some super neat extras that no one ends up knowing about? :P Early Amazon reviewers have already bumped it down to two stars, but I'm curious to see how well it sells considering the success of BOG and the anticipation surrounding the next film.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:29 am

Flaunt that fuchsia, Toei. :mrgreen:
No negativity intended; I'm genuinely happy they're embracing it. :3

Probably not gonna get this though; I've got the limited edition BOG that came out originally, and then I have Funi's release with the extended edition on it. There'd have to be something really special on this special release.

I hope someone buys a copy though; so we can find out what/if any previously unknown stuff (Yamamuro's original ssjg design sketch? A drawing of what lizard!Beerus would've looked like?) is in there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:09 am

I would like to buy a Portuguese release. I don't own any of Battle of Gods' copies and this special edition looks so beautiful.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 am

I want it for the original insert song. Do we know whether this in 5.1? I know it was 2.0 on TV and on the US/UK Blu-ray but I'm wondering if they went the extra mile for a domestic release. That would solidify my purchase.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm curious, is it going to have any sort of dub on it? Japan has, on occasion, added English dubs on releases that came out after a dub was made (at least, I recall hearing that, perhaps for Gundam or something else).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Mewzard wrote:I'm curious, is it going to have any sort of dub on it? Japan has, on occasion, added English dubs on releases that came out after a dub was made (at least, I recall hearing that, perhaps for Gundam or something else).
I know that 5 Centimetres per Second Blu ray has the English Dub that is the only instance I can think of.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mewzard wrote:I'm curious, is it going to have any sort of dub on it? Japan has, on occasion, added English dubs on releases that came out after a dub was made (at least, I recall hearing that, perhaps for Gundam or something else).
I know that 5 Centimetres per Second Blu ray has the English Dub that is the only instance I can think of.
Another example is Big O, partly because the second season was funded by Cartoon Network.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:33 pm

I know that the Japanese DVD releases (but not the Blu-Rays) of the first three Pokémon movies (Mewtwo Strikes Back, Revelation Lugia and Spell of the Unown) have the English dub on them. (Which oddly enough makes them the only English/Japanese dual audio Pokémon DVDs as the Japanese version has never been released in any English speaking countries.)

Also, the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Blu-Ray Boxset has the English dub for all 28 episodes on it.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:So is there anyone, anyone at all who's picking this up in a couple of days' time? :P
I feel like this release is kinda falling under the radar a bit. What are the odds that it'll have some super neat extras that no one ends up knowing about? :P Early Amazon reviewers have already bumped it down to two stars, but I'm curious to see how well it sells considering the success of BOG and the anticipation surrounding the next film.
I have it preordered, but it's in the same order as some items that won't be released until late April, so I have no idea when I'll get my copy. Amazon JP tends to break up my orders into multiple shipments, but I've gotten emails from them suggesting there are availability issues with this release. Maybe I'll get it next week, or maybe I'll get it in six weeks (as is currently estimated).
-Rachel