Scenes that the english dub does better.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:08 am

Levlik wrote:Babidi's voice
^
This.

Also Kid Buu's death was more epic to me in the dub, but I saw that first so I probably don't have the same appreciation.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 am

Goku's SSJ3 transformation. Pretty much the only piece of dub music that I actually like. 8)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:44 am

I like lot of american music from Dragon Ball, but only to listen, because in my opinion it's bad arranged in the series and I'm annoyed that there aren't any silent places between tracks, there is still playing goulash of music over and over
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:46 am

MCDaveG wrote:I like lot of american music from Dragon Ball, but only to listen, because in my opinion it's bad arranged in the series and I'm annoyed that there aren't any silent places between tracks, there is still playing goulash of music over and over
That's how I feel about the score.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:02 am

Kirbopher wrote:
Levlik wrote:Babidi's voice
^
This.

Also Kid Buu's death was more epic to me in the dub, but I saw that first so I probably don't have the same appreciation.
Agreed. Also preferred Cell's death in English. Ginyu Transformation playing sounded really great there.

And while due to condensing, I preferred that Raditz told them about Nappa and Vegeta being stronger than him in his last breath. Gave more of an "Aw crap!" feeling.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00 am

The Dub fails everything.

Prove me wrong!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32 am

Schemmel's SSJ3 powerup scream in movie 12.

Also Dub Goku isn't as much of a horrible person as original Goku.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Things the dub does better? Hmmm...:

-Linda Young
-Movie 5
-Christopher Sabat
-DVD Releases
-Stephanie Nadolny as Kid Goku
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 pm

The dub didn't really do MUCH better IMO...

Chris Rager was really awesome as Mark. Seriously, when I found out he was gonna play Arlong in One Piece I jumped with joy, he's really great...

There really isn't much else to be honest... I suppose now that we have the bricks with the Japanese Music track, the Dub had the advantage that it's mixed in 5.1. Quality much better than the Mono Japanese... But really, I don't like the Dub's tendency to ALWAYS have music playing in the "Original Broadcast" Music track, even when it was DEAD SILENT in Japanese. Those scenes really build tension.

... I guess looking at this from a Dub fan's perspective, Son never "Sounds like a Girl" in English, so for some people I can see that being a plus (Not for me)

And you know what, Cyborg 18 had a pretty good voice, as did 17. And I hated the Baby-talk dialog they gave Boo, but his base Voice was actually pretty good.

And I agree with all the Babidi Love, he was great.

And there was ONE Ad-Lib in The Kid Boo arc I actually thought was funny. It was REALLY DUMB, but it just seemed kinda In-character for Son to say.

When they get out of Boo's innards, and everyone starts popping back to their normal size, they Ad-libbed in Son saying "Hey Look Vegeta, People-Popcorn!" to which Vegeta replies "Oh Shut up!"
Shoot me if you must, I found this Ad-lib amusing and somewhat in-character for Son which is a trait of his the Dub doesn't always highlight.
His Innocent Childlike quality. That's certainly something a little kid would say.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:57 pm

DemonRin wrote:When they get out of Boo's innards, and everyone starts popping back to their normal size, they Ad-libbed in Son saying "Hey Look Vegeta, People-Popcorn!" to which Vegeta replies "Oh Shut up!"
Shoot me if you must, I found this Ad-lib amusing and somewhat in-character for Son which is a trait of his the Dub doesn't always highlight.
His Innocent Childlike quality. That's certainly something a little kid would say.
Actually, Vegeta said, "what is he on?" :wink:

But I agree. That's one of my all-time favorite dub moments, and it's mostly because it's an added-on line that's actually in-character for Goku.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Hands down...

Vegeta's fisrt SSJ transformation. Why? because of the my favorite dub soundtrack that I loved since playing LOG II :mrgreen:

And Damon Clarck's first form Cell
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Vegeta turning SSJ in front of Android 19 is better in the dub. Better music, and Sabat belts out one of his best screams.

Maybe the Final Flash scene also, mainly because of the music. Also Cell's death was handled well.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:09 pm

B wrote:Things the dub does better? Hmmm...:

-Linda Young
-Movie 5
-Christopher Sabat
-DVD Releases
Don't forget the totally adult lines, totally mature, not for kids, VEGETA SAYS PISS! OMG!

In comparison to actors, Ocean did a better job than Funimation.

Better Cell, better Satan, better Gohan, better Goten, Trunks, and especially Vegeta and Piccolo, but both dubs suffer from a severe case of suck.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:19 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: Ocean...Better...Trunks
I don't think those words should go in the same sentence!... :shock:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Lol, My post was a joke save for #'s 2 and 5.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
B wrote:Things the dub does better? Hmmm...:

-Linda Young
-Movie 5
-Christopher Sabat
-DVD Releases
Don't forget the totally adult lines, totally mature, not for kids, VEGETA SAYS PISS! OMG!

In comparison to actors, Ocean did a better job than Funimation.

Better Cell, better Satan, better Gohan, better Goten, Trunks, and especially Vegeta and Piccolo, but both dubs suffer from a severe case of suck.
With Vegeta and Piccolo I could perhaps understand, but with all those other characters? I dunno, I remember those voices on Toonami in this country, and then on YouTube...they were beyond dreadful, IMO. Worse than FUNi's Season 3.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:26 pm

B wrote:Lol, My post was a joke save for #'s 2 and 5.
It's confusing when you mix jokes with seriouses in the same list. People would probably take the whole thing as one or the other.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 pm

'YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRAAAATH'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMDRq2PpjkQ

Probably one of the best scenes in the dub, in my opinion.

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:59 pm

The Ginyu Force was so much better in both dubs.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Sanjiscool wrote:The Ginyu Force was so much better in both dubs.
Brice Armstrong was an awesome Ginyu. "That line really sucked a big one..."