The End of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't mind of they reanimate it or not, I love the old drawings, the Quality of Kai, and I prefer a proper remastering over a plotholed pretty animation any time.

User avatar
DemonRin
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:50 am
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by DemonRin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Not at all. I have no problem with the rivalry. I just have a problem with "updates," with "special editions," with "director's cuts," and all that nonsense. Once the story's written, it's written (and drawn), and going back and changing things is something that angers me to no end.
Uuum... then why are you even watching Kai to begin with?...

The whole thing is one big "Update" or "Directors Cut" of Z...
"The footage has been cleaned up, and partially redone to be in 1080p!"
"The Music has been redone and voice acting have been redone to update the show to a stereo audio track!"
"The Filler has been removed to make the show a manga-centric Directors cut"

The TITLE OF THE SHOW means "Dragon Ball Revised"

What would one more change matter at this point? Son already doesn't go to Princess Snake's house, he doesn't fall off of the Serpentine Road, Kuririn, Bulma, and Gohan already don't end up on the Magical Mystery Mirror Ship, and Garlic Jr. is completely absent.
We're on episode 78 of the series right now and are ALREADY gonna see Perfect Cell pretty soon. We're well past episode 150 of DBZ... if you don't like updates and changes... What are you doing watching this show at all?!

That being said, I think I'd like if they added the new ending. But only so long as they make sure the art style matches what is being used. Seeing more vibrant colors wouldn't be so off-putting, especially since the Boo Era episodes (ESPECIALLY the LAST one) are much better quality in terms of Masters than anything else. That's why the Orange Bricks got less and less shitty looking as the release went on.

I think once you get into the Boo arc, the reanimated footage will become harder to spot, so a redone ending would look pretty good as long as it's animated the same way the other reanimated footage is.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6141
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 pm

DemonRin wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Not at all. I have no problem with the rivalry. I just have a problem with "updates," with "special editions," with "director's cuts," and all that nonsense. Once the story's written, it's written (and drawn), and going back and changing things is something that angers me to no end.
Uuum... then why are you even watching Kai to begin with?...
Uuum... I'm not. I stopped watching Kai a long time ago. But since I was talking about the Kanzenban, it's irrelevant. But it's also equally reasonable to assume that Kai is trying to emulate the original manga as it is the revised manga.
What are you doing watching this show at all?!
Wow. You sure assume a lot, don't you? And get angry very easily.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/28/26!)
Current Episode: The Failure of Frost - Dragon Ball Dissection: The God of Destruction Champa Arc Part 3 (Manga)

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by penguintruth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I don't like Vegeta's last line in the newer ending, either. And not just because it contradicts his realization/accepting that Goku is "NUMBAA WAN", but because it's just so unnecessary, too. And the rivalry doesn't bother me in the Jump Special because it's a humorous special and it isn't a serious rivalry there.

Everything else about the new ending I like, though. Uub getting Kintoun is priceless.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 pm

penguintruth wrote:I don't like Vegeta's last line in the newer ending, either. And not just because it contradicts his realization/accepting that Goku is "NUMBAA WAN", but because it's just so unnecessary, too. And the rivalry doesn't bother me in the Jump Special because it's a humorous special and it isn't a serious rivalry there.
Thank you. That's how I feel exactly. His line comes off too much like 'the end...OR IS IT DUN DUN DUUUUUN' to me than 'oh, they'll always be rivals'. It doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the ending and as a result feels pointlessly tacked on. The panel being there just...had no reason to be there. Wow, that's some bad grammar, I'll blame the sleeping pills on that one. In any case, yes, the rivalry in the JUMP Special is completely different, because it's an obvious friendly rivalry and is done in a lighthearted way. That last panel in the new ending just felt like a return to Cell arc Vegeta's angry pride, 'hmph, someday, I'll outdo you, Kakarotto!!', and it just didn't feel like the note to close the series on. Gokou passing on the magic cloud he got from his first master to his new student...now that's a great closing note. Write out the Vegeta panel, and the new ending is a nice little bit of bonus content.

I'd still prefer it if Kai ended the way the original Anime ended, though, because I just don't buy them animating that entire scene digitally and having it fit in with the original footage. It's different when a few frames here and there are touched up because they blend in, but an entire new scene would just be too noticeable.
"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 am

penguintruth wrote:I don't like Vegeta's last line in the newer ending, either. And not just because it contradicts his realization/accepting that Goku is "NUMBAA WAN",
I am the prince of Saiyan, ore ga NUMBAA WAAAAAN!



I love how Japanese people pronounce English words. :P



Sorry for the off-topic-ness. You reminded me of that song.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: The End of Kai?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 pm

I wouldn't mind them adapting the new manga ending as the ending scene for Kai. Although, I have to say, my biggest wish for the ending of Kai would be to include a new musical composition for the final scene...in the form of a new song by Hironobu Kageyama. Granted, that has almost zero chance of happening since they didn't invite him back to sing anything for Kai (which is a huge mistake, in my opinion)...but still. A guy can dream.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Post Reply