Disappointing Purchases

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.
User avatar
TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by TheLegendary117 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

User avatar
Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 am
Location: The UK
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Ashy-kun » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Castor Troy wrote:You consider the Big Green purchases disappointing? I'd be thrilled to buy those!
Of course you would. You have an at least tolerable version of the series to watch. ^^;; It's like how Mr. VegettoEX says about how he doesn't care about how bad the Funimation dub may be, to him, he still has bilingual DVDs with the version he's okay to watch. It's not like that's the only one you have. @_@ You can have it as a luxury, for shits and giggles, whereas we have it as the only way to buy DragonBall legally in the UK.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10262
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm

TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
Oh man... That sucks!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:You consider the Big Green purchases disappointing? I'd be thrilled to buy those!
Of course you would. You have an at least tolerable version of the series to watch. ^^;; It's like how Mr. VegettoEX says about how he doesn't care about how bad the Funimation dub may be, to him, he still has bilingual DVDs with the version he's okay to watch. It's not like that's the only one you have. @_@ You can have it as a luxury, for shits and giggles, whereas we have it as the only way to buy DragonBall legally in the UK.
Can't we order the Dragon Boxes?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 3374
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Ashy-kun wrote: Of course you would. You have an at least tolerable version of the series to watch. ^^;; It's like how Mr. VegettoEX says about how he doesn't care about how bad the Funimation dub may be, to him, he still has bilingual DVDs with the version he's okay to watch. It's not like that's the only one you have. @_@ You can have it as a luxury, for shits and giggles, whereas we have it as the only way to buy DragonBall legally in the UK.
...but aren't both releases bilingual?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here
Posts: 2440
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 pm

TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
I cried a tear for you. That really blows! :(
What did you do? Did you get a refund? I would raise some HELL!

User avatar
BluezaBladeNZ
Regular
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't really have any but one I do remember is back in 2003 when the Dragon Ball Z volumes ranged around $30-40, I got Cell Games - Earth's Last Hope for $17 at a used store but it was severly scratched and glitched a lot so I ended up taking it back.

User avatar
obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by obiwan23s » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
*cymbal crash*

I'll have to say Burst Limit for the PS3. Very nice to look at, but not fun to play. :?
I have quite hated every Dragon Ball game for PS3. Maybe I just missed how to change the Raging Blast controls to mirror the Sparking controls, if so I'd immediately reconsider those games, but Sparking Meteor/BT3 was tons of fun to play. Raging Blast not so much.

User avatar
Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I remember when they announced the season sets and I got really excited because it was an opportunity to finally own the entire series, not being aware of the whole "cropped" thing. I really didn't even mind the ridiculous over-saturated colors and missing detail at the time, but the idea of them getting rid part of the picture for no reason? More theatrical my ass, I wanna see what I was supposed to see damn it! I only got the first set, and it's hard to complain since I didn't even pay for it (sort of a gift from my brother), but it was stupidly disappointing. Now I finally have the corresponding Dragon Box along with the second and I'm completely satisfied.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

User avatar
Great Saiyaman I
Regular
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 pm

TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
That's pretty terrible. Did you ever find out how it got in that condition? Or did the seller mess it up on purpose(no idea why he would)?
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

User avatar
Castor Troy
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
Were the discs playable at least?

User avatar
MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5821
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czechia
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 pm

I was dissapointed when I bought the whole set of tankoubons from Japan and they were probably slightly used, because Cell's image on chapter title is outlined with pencil :D
But they look like new without slight damage :)
FighterZ, Street Fighter 6, Mortal Kombat: Funky_Strudel
PS5: Dynamixx88
Trust me, I'm millenial and a designer.

User avatar
Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:21 am
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:23 pm

When I bought the set of Dragon Ball tankoubons (UK release) they were listed as Great condition, or something like that. Almost every one of the spines were creased. That was a real let down.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

User avatar
Godo
I Live Here
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 am

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Godo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:02 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I was dissapointed when I bought the whole set of tankoubons from Japan and they were probably slightly used, because Cell's image on chapter title is outlined with pencil :D
But they look like new without slight damage :)
An eraser would do it, right? If you are careful. :)

Kingdom Heartless wrote:When I bought the set of Dragon Ball tankoubons (UK release) they were listed as Great condition, or something like that. Almost every one of the spines were creased. That was a real let down.
Unfortunately that's common with pocket type books. That's why you can choose to buy either hard cover or soft cover.
I would wish for some tankoubons with hard cover. :P

User avatar
Chibi Gohan
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am
Location: Florida

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Chibi Gohan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Orange Brick season 1....

Cropping and saturation was too much for me.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:43 pm

TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
$1000 spent and everything was destroyed? Who did you order this from? :shock:

User avatar
TheLegendary117
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by TheLegendary117 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:48 am

Castor Troy wrote:
TheLegendary117 wrote:Japanese Dragon Box, series, movies, GT, the whole 9 yards. $1000, arrived at my house.......destroyed :cry: you couldn't recognize one thing. My parents bought it for me, for my BIG Christmas gift in 2007, that killed me and my folks were furious :cry: :x
Were the discs playable at least?
No everything was trashed....the disks were in pieces and you couldn't even recognize the scouters. My dad raised hell. He has been an EBay member since 2000 and just went crazy. He got his refund but the seller got all sorts of crap.

i still shed a tear from time to time :cry:
Gamertag: TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/TheLegendary117
Facebook.com/The70MGame

Part Spartan, Part Saiyan

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 am

TheLegendary117 wrote:No everything was trashed....the disks were in pieces and you couldn't even recognize the scouters. My dad raised hell. He has been an EBay member since 2000 and just went crazy. He got his refund but the seller got all sorts of crap.
*whhheeewww*
$1000......for shattered products. It's a damn good thing your dad got his money back. If I was in that position, I would've made that bastard who sold those goods to me eat his own teeth after I smashed them out.

User avatar
Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here
Posts: 3393
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:21 am
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:46 am

No everything was trashed....the disks were in pieces and you couldn't even recognize the scouters. My dad raised hell. He has been an EBay member since 2000 and just went crazy. He got his refund but the seller got all sorts of crap.

i still shed a tear from time to time
Wow.... how is that even possible?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

User avatar
Chibi Gohan
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am
Location: Florida

Re: Disappointing Purchases

Post by Chibi Gohan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:51 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
No everything was trashed....the disks were in pieces and you couldn't even recognize the scouters. My dad raised hell. He has been an EBay member since 2000 and just went crazy. He got his refund but the seller got all sorts of crap.

i still shed a tear from time to time
Wow.... how is that even possible?
Smash it with a hammer a couple times... It's not really that hard :P
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Post Reply