Kai Episode 94 (20 February 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kai Episode 94 (20th February 2011)

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Wow, perfect pacing, great episode all around. I love the abrupt ending leaving the viewer to WTF over a big bloated Cell, just great.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 am

JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, the lead up to the Kamehame-Ha really started to drone. The entire first half could have gone without music, really. I'd have preferred they use The Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan is they wanted a piece for the Kamehame-Ha scene. >_<
I made my version :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51J88-3eehM

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 am

Wow, Gohan's head is HUGE in that eyecatch. It's kinda ironic cause in the last eyecatch it looked like his head was inflating :lol:

Something about Cell looks off too, his eyes are too big... and I don't think that kind of smile suits him much

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:14 am

MetalMadness wrote:It's kinda ironic cause in the last eyecatch it looked like his head was inflating :lol:
How is that ironic? Maybe in some way it would be if his head was really small in this eyecatch, but what you just said isn't irony.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 am

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, the lead up to the Kamehame-Ha really started to drone. The entire first half could have gone without music, really. I'd have preferred they use The Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan is they wanted a piece for the Kamehame-Ha scene. >_<
I made my version :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51J88-3eehM
Ah, quite good. It kept some momentum by tossing in silence between two pieces. The background music more noticeable that way.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:14 am

I liked the music...what was the heroic sounding one as Gohan walked up to Cell after the first punch?
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
MetalMadness wrote:It's kinda ironic cause in the last eyecatch it looked like his head was inflating :lol:
How is that ironic? Maybe in some way it would be if his head was really small in this eyecatch, but what you just said isn't irony.
It's ironic because people were pointing out how in the last episode's eyecatch it looked like Gohan's head was inflating and getting bigger, and now in this one it's even bigger, even though it's obvious that the animation team didn't intend for his head to look huge in either eyecatch

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Huh. They got rid of the narrator's bit about how "this is the first time Cell felt fear..." and replaced it with Cell's lines from the manga, along with him adding "is this what's called fear?"
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:Huh. They got rid of the narrator's bit about how "this is the first time Cell felt fear..." and replaced it with Cell's lines from the manga, along with him adding "is this what's called fear?"
Yeah, I noticed that when I was first watching it. I was expecting Yanami to pop in, but then he didn't. O.o

Wakamoto did a lot of good screaming this episode, although his whole "Chikushô!!" scene felt a bit...rushed. A few of his actual dialogue lines were also really rushed. :(
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 pm

At first when Wakamoto said "Damn it" several times, it sounded off. But when he got to the last part of "Damn it" I thought his scream was impressive. I still thought it would be good even without the echoing effect.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

MetalMadness wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
It's ironic because people were pointing out how in the last episode's eyecatch it looked like Gohan's head was inflating and getting bigger, and now in this one it's even bigger, even though it's obvious that the animation team didn't intend for his head to look huge in either eyecatch
That's not irony. It would probably be ironic if his head looked look like it was inflating last time, then looked really small this time. Even that's a bit of a stretch.

This definition specifically:
5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

If his head looked like it was being inflated last time, then looked like it was bigger this time, then that isn't irony. Even if you expected it to be normal this time, large isn't the opposite of normal sized, and that's not including that we weren't lead to believe anything, except maybe by some stretch that his head would be bigger this time, which you say it is.

In your instance, "coincidence" may work. It's also the word most people mean when they misuse "irony". As in: "it's quite a coincidence that his head actually happens to look bigger this time, when it looked like it was inflating previously". That, or you could use "contrary" and say: "contrary to the animators intention, his head was bigger yet in the most recent eyecatch while it, coincidentally, appeared as though it was being inflated in the previous one."
At first when Wakamoto said "Damn it" several times, it sounded off. But when he got to the last part of "Damn it" I thought his scream was impressive. I still thought it would be good even without the echoing effect.
Yeah, I agree. He sounded a bit... whiny the first couple of "Chikushou's". His last one was pretty good though.
JulieYBM wrote:
kenisu3000 wrote:Huh. They got rid of the narrator's bit about how "this is the first time Cell felt fear..." and replaced it with Cell's lines from the manga, along with him adding "is this what's called fear?"
Yeah, I noticed that when I was first watching it. I was expecting Yanami to pop in, but then he didn't. O.o
When I was watching it, I thought I remembered the narrator talking there, but wasn't really sure. So they kinda merged the two together somewhat then, with Cell saying his lines from the manga, while using something sorta from the narrator's line from the Z anime?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

I thought the episode was kind of slow, but I don't remember how fast or slow the original anime was during that scene. I was thinking more in terms of the manga than anything.

Also, the flashback where Gohan goes SSj2 for a second made my eyes roll out of my head. I was hoping that it would be kept out simply because I wanted to forget about the years worth of arguments that came out of that one second of extra spiky hair.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 am

Kendamu wrote: Also, the flashback where Gohan goes SSj2 for a second made my eyes roll out of my head. I was hoping that it would be kept out simply because I wanted to forget about the years worth of arguments that came out of that one second of extra spiky hair.
Really? What arguments did that cause? I thought it was a nice bit of filler that proved to Gohan's true power to Goku, and that he would be the one to defeat Cell.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:23 am

MetalMadness wrote:
Kendamu wrote: Also, the flashback where Gohan goes SSj2 for a second made my eyes roll out of my head. I was hoping that it would be kept out simply because I wanted to forget about the years worth of arguments that came out of that one second of extra spiky hair.
Really? What arguments did that cause? I thought it was a nice bit of filler that proved to Gohan's true power to Goku, and that he would be the one to defeat Cell.
It's been used in a lot of in-universe discussions about when Gohan really went SSj2 for the first time and whether or not it counts because it wasn't shown in the manga. It's sort of like the, "Did Gotenks fly in space," argument.
(they/she)

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 am

I've never thought of it as a big deal. So his hair took SSj2 shape for a second... nobody who watches the Trunks special claims that he first turned Super Saiyan near the start, even though he transformed for a second as well... it's kind of pointless to argue.

I kind of like that training scene.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 am

MetalMadness wrote: I thought it was a nice bit of filler that proved to Gohan's true power to Goku, and that he would be the one to defeat Cell.
Exactly. It explains why Goku was certain that Gohan had the necessary power to defeat Cell.
Not just some vague, 'well he has some hidden power of some sort, might be enough to beat Cell, but I dunno'.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am

dan2026 wrote:
MetalMadness wrote: I thought it was a nice bit of filler that proved to Gohan's true power to Goku, and that he would be the one to defeat Cell.
Exactly. It explains why Goku was certain that Gohan had the necessary power to defeat Cell.
Not just some vague, 'well he has some hidden power of some sort, might be enough to beat Cell, but I dunno'.
I think Gohan not being shown as Super Saiyan 2 while training actually lends more credibility to Goku's combat genius.

"No, I haven't actually seen it happen, but I don't have to see it. I know it's there and I know it's going to surface. How do I know? I have amazing combat intuition coming from a lifetime of experience built off of natural talent. If you don't trust me, just take a look at how I independently came to the conclusion that the other path (which Vegeta and Trunks took to various degrees) wouldn't work without having to actually pressure test it in a combat environment. So, just chill. Gohan's got this."

With how it happens in the anime, it comes off as more like, "I accidentally saw it happen by accident while training. It was a total coincidence but I'm glad I saw it! Any idiot would go with this plan. The only reason why I never said anything was because I wanted to f**k with you hardcore. You should've seen the looks on your faces!"

Really, it's not a huge deal, the more I think about it. Nowadays the only Dragonball forum I go to is this one and I barely spend any time in the In-Universe forum.
(they/she)

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:18 am

Too fast paced for my liking...The episode should have ended with Gohan kicking Cell and him getting sick...that or him just throwing 18 up and leave it there for the blow up scene to start in the next episode
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 pm

dan2026 wrote:
It was the uncertainty that I liked most, though. Well, not so much uncertainty but intuition. I like the idea that Goku witnessed Gohan's inner power a number of times but never saw it fully realized. Having Gohan transform during training removes all mystery about it and actually somewhat conflicts with Goku's subtle "!?" reaction during the real transformation. It just becomes "Oh, yeah, that thing Gohan did that one time? I want him to do that...but forever."

I like the idea that Goku knew something was there just not exactly what it was or how it would manifest. Not just because of Goku's combat genius as Kendamu said but also because he's Gohan's father.

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Sonikero wrote:Can someone use KeyholeTV? It says to me "Login timed out. Check your network".
I actually have a question in relation to KeyholeTV. Is it the only program so far that actually has a stream for Fuji TV? I hate to nitpick, but it's just that the video + audio quality for the Fuji TV stream makes an episode of Kai entirely unwatchable and I would really appreciate if a better quality stream existed somewhere out on the Internet that I don't have to plop down $30 a month to use. :?
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll: