Budokai Tenkaichi Character Estimation

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon May 09, 2005 1:54 pm

Okay. Say they CAN fly. They can't shoot ki, which is a severe disadvantage in a game like this. Say Gokuu vs Chi-Chi. Gokuu can just fly backwards super fast firing ki and Chi-Chi can't do anything to counter.

I'd like to return to the days when Dragon Ball games DIDN'T need gimmicks to keep the characters balanced.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon May 09, 2005 1:59 pm

One name: "Videl." If Dimps was able to make both Videl, and Mr. Satan playable characters in the Budoukai series, I can see no reason why Spike wouldn't be a capable of the same. That is to say if any of such type of characters appear at all.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Mon May 09, 2005 2:47 pm

I'd like to return to the days when Dragon Ball games DIDN'T need gimmicks to keep the characters balanced.
Same here. You can also rest assured that with 60 characters about 90% of them will be completly redundant in terms of gameplay.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon May 09, 2005 2:52 pm

I still don't understand why they always make Satan playable, and not Master Roshi? :x

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon May 09, 2005 3:04 pm

lost in thought wrote:One name: "Videl." If Dimps was able to make both Videl, and Mr. Satan playable characters in the Budoukai series, I can see no reason why Spike wouldn't be a capable of the same. That is to say if any of such type of characters appear at all.
Except Budokai is a completely different type of game than Sparking. Sparking will be faster and have a lot more long-distance fighting than Budokai.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 09, 2005 3:32 pm

Oozaru's really going to be available in this game? :shock:

I'd like to see Chi-Chi and Turles in Sparking.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Mon May 09, 2005 3:58 pm

DB_Fan wrote:I still don't understand why they always make Satan playable, and not Master Roshi? :x
I agree. Roshi has much more fighting skill than Mr. Satan.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon May 09, 2005 10:40 pm

Mizugi wrote:Except Budokai is a completely different type of game than Sparking. Sparking will be faster and have a lot more long-distance fighting than Budokai.
That really doesn't matter, I was just generalizing. Like I said, if Dimps is capable, Spike is too no matter the sort of game.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 am

lost in thought wrote:
Mizugi wrote:Except Budokai is a completely different type of game than Sparking. Sparking will be faster and have a lot more long-distance fighting than Budokai.
That really doesn't matter, I was just generalizing. Like I said, if Dimps is capable, Spike is too no matter the sort of game.
I don't mean this in a hostile way, so please don't take it like that.

However, it does matter. Very much. Budokai is a land-based game, focused on up-close combat. Sparking is an air-based game, focused on long-distance combat. Certain characters simply are not going to work. The type of game matters very much, because yes, they can give Mr. Satan/Videl/Chi-Chi/Kamesennin/Budokai Announcer/Bubbles a rocket launcher and a jetpack, but it would be stupid.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue May 10, 2005 1:25 am

Mizugi wrote:The type of game matters very much, because yes, they can give Mr. Satan/Videl/Chi-Chi/Kamesennin/Budokai Announcer/Bubbles a rocket launcher and a jetpack, but it would be stupid.
I agree, it would be foolish. You seem to have taken what I said in the wrong direction though, I was merely stating that if Dimp's did it with Videl, it can be done, not that they should do it.
[Which they definitely should not do.]
Chiquita wrote:I'd like to see Chi-Chi and Turles in Sparking.
Turles maybe, but Chi-Chi would kill the experience; unless they seperated the characters, so that only the weak humans went against each other, and the strong ones against the stronger humans/aliens/etc.
DB_Fan wrote:I still don't understand why they always make Satan playable, and not Master Roshi?
Reference Above.
See, even if they 'seperated' characters into two classes, weak/strong, Roshi wouldn't fit- he's not strong enough for the strong class [saiyans, etc] and not weak enough for the weak class [humans, etc].
The same would go for Kuririn, and Chaozu as well.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue May 10, 2005 2:34 am

I can see them giving Videl ki attacks for the game (half shocked she didn't have them in the series truthfully, if not the Budokai games). It's all entirely doable. And I want to see Videl, Hercule, and Chi-Chi in the game. You can think it's as dumb as you like, to include them, but I like those characters and I want to be able to play as them if I want to.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Tue May 10, 2005 4:07 am

I hope if they do include them the actually get inventive and come up with some interesting things for them. Unlike the dreadful Uub in Budokai 3.

Though I feel the time spent on putting characters like that into the game would be far better spent on refining the main characters.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 am

Roshi would be ably to fly with that black turtle thing he uses at the start of DB to get to Mt. Frypan.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue May 10, 2005 11:26 am

And spin for the whole match? Besides, you do remember that the ride had some unpleasant effects, don't you?
It's party time, Ginyu style!

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue May 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Chichi only fights in the 23rd budokai, which is mostly for comic relief, and also punches once or twice in a few filler episodes.

Videl is much stronger, gave a respectable fight against Badibi's henchman, and can fly. Which is why she was preferred in the Budokais than Chichi.

But then, we have the Japanese Budokai 3 which has Bulma as an alternative costume for Videl. Comic relief aside, Bulma has no powers, chi's, or mental attacks whatsoever, so it is pretty crazy to see her in a DBZ fighting game. Nevertheless, Dimps did it. I'm not happy about the way they did it, but they did it nonetheless.

However, Bulma could be a pretty interesting character to play in Sparking!, if she could fight through capsule droids she would unleash during the fight (I'd like to see her have three droids: a melee fighting one, a giant-blast-attacking-one, and an agile-flying-away-one, each with only ONE bar of health, making you change them depending on the situation). This way, you can "play as Bulma", and still respect the logic of the series.

Popo could use his carpet for flight (I don't remember if he can actually fly), but I agree with Fuujin as far as Kamesennin goes. The ride wasn't pleasant, and he hurled after a while (however, it would be neat if the turtle would make Kamesenin accelerate FAR more than any other character's flying speed, but after a while he would pause in order to puke).

I think we're very close in having the ultimate DBZ game however. A game with all the major and minor characters, a game with good graphics and music, and the anime-cinema-like explosions and atmosphere. Sparking! could be the one.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Tue May 10, 2005 12:07 pm

However, Bulma could be a pretty interesting character to play in Sparking!, if she could fight through capsule droids she would unleash during the fight (I'd like to see her have three droids: a melee fighting one, a giant-blast-attacking-one, and an agile-flying-away-one, each with only ONE bar of health, making you change them depending on the situation). This way, you can "play as Bulma", and still respect the logic of the series.
What a good idea! Unfortunatly I think unless Spike operate in a very different way to Dimps that kind of thing will never happen.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Fri May 13, 2005 9:42 pm

1. Goku

2. Kid Gohan

3. Teen Gohan

4. High School/Adult Gohan

3. Prince Vegeta

4. Kuririn

5. Piccolo (new alt. outfits: King Piccolo, Kami-sama)

6. Tenshinhan

7. Chaozu

8. Yamcha

9. Mirai Trunks (alt. outfit: GT Trunks)

10. Chibi Trunks

11. Chibi Goten

12. Young Adult Goten (from GT)

13. Raditz

14. Nappa

15. Freeza

16. Zarbon

17. Dodoria

18. Ginyu

19. Recoome

20. Burter

21. Jeice

22. Guldo

23. #13 (transformation: Super #13)

27. #17 (transformation: Super #17)

30. #20/ Dr. Gero

31. Mr. Satan

32. Great Saiyaman

33. Videl (alt. outfit: Saiyagirl)

34. Kaioushin/ Supreme Kai

35. Dabura

36. Yakon

37. Pui-Pui

38. Fat Buu/ Mr. Buu

39. Super Buu

40. "Kid" Buu

41. Uub (transformation: Majuub)

42. Pan

43. Gen. Rilldo

44. Baby

45. 1-Star Dragon

46. 2-Star Dragon

47. 3-Star Dragon

48. 4-Star Dragon

49. 5-Star Dragon

50. 6-Star Dragon

51. 7-Star Dragon (transformation: Omega Shinron)

52. Janemba

53. Broly

54. Cooler w/ his 3 henchmen as summons

55. Kame Sennin/ Master Roshi (alt. outfit: Jackie Chun)

56. Tao Pai-Pai

57. Tsuru Sennin

58. Gen. Blue

59. Pilaf

60. Giran

61. Namu

62. Ran Fuan

63. Bacterian

64. Assistant Black in mecha

65. Akkuman w/ other Urani Baba fighters as summons

66. Granpa Gohan

67. Garlic Jr.

68. Dr. Wheelo

69. Turles

70. Piano

71. Tambourine

72. Cymbul

73. Drum

74. Yajirobe

75. Lord Slug

76. Bardock w/ his team as summons

77. King Vegeta

78. King Cold

79. Bojack

80. Hildegarn

81. Taipon

82. Goku Jr.

83. Vegeta Jr.

84. Goku Jr. Special Bad guy (Name N/A) with other baddies as summons

85. Arale Norimaki

86. Sour Man

87. Lunch (alt. outfit: Penguin Village policewoman)

88. Neko Majin

89. Kuriza

90. Kid Goku