Episode #0273 (02 October 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Episode #0273 (02 October 2011)

Post by Rukura » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Awesome podcast as usual! Hearing about something i'm so familiar with AND having Meri's list back was great.

Personally, my favorite game opening was Final Bout's. It was the first Dragon Ball (and Playstation game, actually) that i ever played and i loved the dark misterious feel that i always got from that opening, as it seems to be the only one where almost all of it seems to happen in the night time.
That's also why i always interpreted the end as Goku charging away at the unknown, the darkness...to kick its ass, of course :P (never quite saw any silhouette there)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 pm

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Rukura wrote:Awesome podcast as usual! Hearing about something i'm so familiar with AND having Meri's list back was great.

Personally, my favorite game opening was Final Bout's. It was the first Dragon Ball (and Playstation game, actually) that i ever played and i loved the dark misterious feel that i always got from that opening, as it seems to be the only one where almost all of it seems to happen in the night time.
That's also why i always interpreted the end as Goku charging away at the unknown, the darkness...to kick its ass, of course :P (never quite saw any silhouette there)
Yeah, my favorite intro so far. I also have a little dark feeling from the GT, as the atmosphere is completely different from Z from the time Dr. Myu appears and also the coloring in the whole thing is quite darker and not that colourful as DB and Z was. Then it got off from the Dark tone in the 17 arc onward.

I'm sad, as lover of rainy days, that there wasn't any fight in the rain. There was raining only in DB, when the Tenkaichi Budokai was paused because of it (only in anime), when Trunks found dead Gohan in the alternate timeline and when Goku was lying beaten up in GT during the Bebi arc. Something like mixture of the climax in the Matrix Revolutions and the game house battle in Hero, with the rain pour interacting with the movements and blows.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:10 pm

There were a few rainy scenes in Dragon Ball (indeed anime only), which were more to drive home the sadness of the situation. I think another one was when Chaozu and Kame Sennin died in the Piccolo Daimaoh arc. I totally get what you're saying though.

Nights fights are still what push my Dragon Buttons the best though lol, and the Final Bout opening is what did it for me more than any other game opening :D (Ultimate Tenkaichi's is look freaking sexy though, can't wait to see that in full quality)

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 pm

I like that they talked about how their One Piece reading was going and the last line that Meri says in the show is "We are."

Not entirely sure it was on purpose, but either way, that was awesome.

Not to mention the show was a ton of fun! While the past episodes have been far being bad, this one was one of the best in recent memory. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 am

Rory wrote:
hudemx wrote:I always thought it was Baby in his golden Oozaru Form, which is also unlockable in the Game as most of us should know...

... or is it?
Of course it is, I thought that was pretty obvious (if you've completed the game).
I don't think it's that obvious. I've never seen the silhouette and this is actually the first I'm hearing of it. But now that you guys mention it, I can see how some people would think it's golden Oozaru form Bebi.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:25 am

Rory wrote:
hudemx wrote:I always thought it was Baby in his golden Oozaru Form, which is also unlockable in the Game as most of us should know...

... or is it?
Of course it is, I thought that was pretty obvious (if you've completed the game).
But you know, maybe it's even bigger threat!

Get Gotenks 100%
Win the game 9 times on hard using TRUNKS ONLY!!!!!!!!! I think your not allowed to continue so if you die start over.

:lol:

Well, some guys are probably still playing it infinitely since 1997 to obtain him :)

On the topic of podcast, as I don't have twitter:
I really enjoyed it a lot and damn, that nostalgia! We are kilometers apart, but I remember, how we found this site http://www.dragonballarena.it with my friend as the Z was ending and GT was having it's premiere on RTL7.
There we found the game intros, and same as you, with 56k modem, we were downloading the Final Bout one for 3 hours and can't reading other sites on internet or the download will be slower. Then we were completely blown off!! The coolest thing we ever saw, watched the intro for like 20 times. At the same time we got also the Ultimate Battle 22. But that wasn't that awesome for us in comparison to Final Bout. But yeah, still pretty awesome intro.
For us kids, knowing mostly the Dragon Ball series for the fights as there was German language barrier (first series and few episodes of Z, then, because Polish is simmilar a lot to Czech, we watched what is left from Z and then GT on RTL7),
these intros were the summary of Dragon Ball's awesomeness.

Well, what a letdown when I got the Final Bout year later from friend who said he got it in Germany.
The game wasn't 1/3 that cool, as the intro. But for me at the time, good intro will be one of the main selling points.
As there weren't any importing options, only to get abroad and bring what you found. Then having intro like this for me was
simmilar to the nowadays Plan To Destroy The Super Saiyans in RB2 as you had officialy the piece of Dragon Ball footage ''in highest quality'' and you can pop it in everytime, other from VHS's with some episodes on it recorded.
It's a little sad, how we grow up with the tecchnology and our quality and electronics standards are rising.
Hell, some year ago I popped in the original VHS of some movie into an old VCR and damn! How could I watched that??
In comparison to DVD, the VHSs looks like Chinese dvd bootleg :D

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 am

That Shin Butoden opening is hilarious. Some poor intern probably got stuck churning that thing out in an evening because the original opening just wasn't Shin-y enough or whatever marketing excuse Bandai came up with.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:11 am

VegettoEX wrote: Image
Looks more like Hirudegarn to me. Especially when you put the outline there. Heck, it even looks more like 3rd form Freeza then it does Great Ape Baby.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:46 pm

It honestly doesn't look like anything to me. What kind of big badass boss character would have his arms wide like that, anyway?

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Very interesting episode. It made me check out each individual intro on Youtube, and I was surprised at the one for Raging Blast 2! I have no interest in the game, so I hadn't seen that intro before, but I actually really liked it. It showed a lot of movie villains while actually ignoring Broly for once. And something about the way Gohan moves at the start of it, that little bit where he looks back behind/below him to see the damage Coola caused, that somehow reminded me of when I first watched the Cell Game episodes. It was a cool unexpected little nostalgia rush. And of course, the song is frickin' awesome.

On a side note: the Youtube comments are hilarious. It's unrealistic that Coola beats SSj2 Gohan, but it's fine when Broly slaps Gogeta around.

Super Vejito

Post by Super Vejito » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:32 pm

The last few podcasts were excellent, I guess I like it best when it's mostly just one in-depth subject. I watched the intros on YouTube as I went along, though I realized I'd already seen most of them before (go figure, I've finished roughly 30 DB games T_T). Shin Butoden was a notable exception, that has got to be some of the trippiest shit I've seen in a while.

I've personally always paid particular attention to openings of games and (anime) series in general and the DB games are no exception when it comes to that. I have a strong preference for drawn art rather than CG and agree that most CG intros weren't done too well, though I think they pretty much perfected that style with Raging Blast 2. Even without nostalgia goggles on, I think the Final Bout and Ultimate Battle 22 intros were great. I like having a showcase of characters as well as some interaction (fighting) between them and a cool vocal song, so the Final Bout intro in particular will never get old for me. The Budokai 2 and 3 openings are also amazing, though I'm not really a fan of the art style for new DB animation.