Whats the most unpredictable and shocking saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:29 pm

'lo Legends wrote:Yeah, but what you don't quite see is that Toriyama was ALSO pulling stuff out of his ass for the Cell Saga. It was originally going to be JUST about the first two androids: 19/20. But then, Toriyama's editor hated them and told him to make cooler looking enemies, and then Toriyama made the other two androids (17/18). His editor told him that they're just a bunch of "kids" and are hard to take seriously, so Toriyama created Cell in his first form. Toriyama's editor THEN told him that he looked too much like a bug so Toriyama created Cell's seccond form. Again, his editor complained, saying that this Cell looked too ugly, so Toriyama created Perfect Cell (another "omg 00ber kewl" humanoid enemy) and everyone was happy.

Most of the "plot twists" in the Cell Saga was just for necessity rather than the sake of being "plot twists"...

*end wall of text*
I don't know why the editor and some of the fans had to piss and moan so Toriyama would do things they wanted, it's his manga and he should of done the story as he wanted, even if that meant ending the story as early as the Piccolo Jr. defeat. I swear, he shouldn't of caved, it's not like he was gonna be sued for doing the manga exactly the way he wanted, such as making Gohan the hero in the Buu arc.
14 years later

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:40 pm

I think the best ending for DBZ would have been Vegetto destroying Buu. Second-best would be ending it with LSSj Goku destroying Freeza.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:45 pm

My list would have the best ending being Son Goku defeating Freeza on Namek, Son Gohan defeating Cell, or Son Gohan defeating Buu.

The Cell story arc seemed to be more mature (as close to mature as you can get in Dragon Ball). It had a more imminent-danger kind of feel to it, somehow moreso than the Buu saga.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:51 pm

The best ending would have been SSJ2 Gohan against Cell. Second would be SSJ Goku on Namek. Third is the way it did end. IMO anyway.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:00 pm

Xyex wrote:The best ending would have been SSJ2 Gohan against Cell. Second would be SSJ Goku on Namek. Third is the way it did end. IMO anyway.
Shove in the 23rd budoukai as the third best way and I would agree fully.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:30 pm

'lo Legends wrote:Yeah, but what you don't quite see is that Toriyama was ALSO pulling stuff out of his ass for the Cell Saga. It was originally going to be JUST about the first two androids: 19/20. But then, Toriyama's editor hated them and told him to make cooler looking enemies, and then Toriyama made the other two androids (17/18). His editor told him that they're just a bunch of "kids" and are hard to take seriously, so Toriyama created Cell in his first form. Toriyama's editor THEN told him that he looked too much like a bug so Toriyama created Cell's seccond form. Again, his editor complained, saying that this Cell looked too ugly, so Toriyama created Perfect Cell (another "omg 00ber kewl" humanoid enemy) and everyone was happy.

Most of the "plot twists" in the Cell Saga was just for necessity rather than the sake of being "plot twists"...

*end wall of text*
I actually did know this, I read the interview where Toriyama talked about it. It actually really surprised me, because I felt that the Cell Saga flowed together really well, and I wasn't able to tell that his editor kept having him switch directions/enemies/etc.

I also like it more then the Buu Saga because characters who didn't have gold hair were actually useful :P
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Nami

Post by Nami » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:42 pm

By far in my opinion, I must say the Piccolo Daimao saga.

The Piccolo Daimao saga because of how Krillin had gotten killed so quickly behind the scenes, Master Roshi using the Mafuba attack and dying with a failing result, Piccolo Daimao killing Shenron, Goku's shaking power-up from the Super Divine Water, and the final battle between Goku and Piccolo Daimao itself. And honestly, who would of expected such a forshadowing of Goku's latter legacy when he did his Super Divine Fist on Piccolo Daimao, I literally shuddered in excitment the first time I saw it. And then the egg Piccolo spat out a few seconds before suddenly exploding, that egg containing his incarnated son. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutly love the latter sagas with the Saiyans, Frieza, Cell, Buu, ect. just as much. But the most shocking and unpredictable saga hands down, from original Dragonball episodes 101 - 122, Piccolo Daimao owned.
I will like you if you will like me.
Namekian Translation: Calinsian chuku devial roukial lousel.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:04 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
Son Goku wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Boo saga. Because Skinny + Fat = Strong, whereas Strong - Fat = Chibi. IT EVEN DEFIED BASIC MATHEMATICS!!!! :x
Exactly! I mean, shouldn't Strong - Fat = Skinny? :shock:
No, because Skinny doesn't exist. That was just a manifestation of Buu's evil, not Buu himself.
That's what I've been thinking. Also he has Fat Buu's outfit since he came from Fat Buu.

I say the Buu saga because of all the wide-scale death and destruction Buu causes.

snakeyes37

Post by snakeyes37 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:31 pm

tealsmith wrote:Oh taff, more Buu Math. I'm just gonna stay out of that...

Anyways, personally I'd go for the Cell Saga. Sure, Buu's storyline was more 'unpredictable' in a way, but like someone already mentions - it's just because Akira Toriyama was pulling plotlines out of his ass at that point :P .

The Cell Saga served as a near-perfect storyline. The introduction of Trunks, turning SSJ and taking out Freeza and his father in half the time Goku and Freeza spent bulking up their muscles in the last saga - the Red Ribbon Army Connection, time travel, Vegeta going SSJ (although I'm sure everyone saw that coming), Cell, Piccolo and Kami re-joining, SSJ2, Goku's death. So much great stuff came out of that Saga, it remains my favourite to this day.

Funny, thats exactly how I felt about the Cell Saga too, thats one of my favorite sagas out of all of them. Not to mention that Cell is also one of my favorite villians.

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Post by skatezeppelin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:08 pm

I'd say the beginning of the King Piccoloaga in DB where Krillin is killed.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I'll have to say The Buu saga

This saga had so many twist and turns to it you never knew what was going to happen. In one battle Gotenks is kicking buu's behind next thing you know he reverts back too normal and is about to die. Gohan arrives all cocky and powerful, beats the shit out of Buu then Buu absorbs Gotenks.

Gohan now looks like ten pounds of crap against Buu. Goku arrives then Buu absorbs gohan. This was by far the best saga and most unpredictable one as well, forget the Cell saga
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:53 pm

skatezeppelin wrote:I'd say the beginning of the King Piccoloaga in DB where Krillin is killed.
:lol: King Piccoloaga
I also go by "veemonjosh".

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:56 pm

I just started reading Dragonball for the first time in June and I'm currently on Vol. 13. I've been pretty familiar with DBZ since the third season came out, with internet research, etc. filling me in before the episodes aired here, but I had never really found out what happened in Dragonball at all. I watched a few episodes here and there when the dub came to Cartoon Network but that was all, so the whole thing has been enlightening and surprising, finding out character origins, etc.

With that viewpoint, I'd say the King Piccolo saga has been the most shocking saga yet, especially Chaozu's death, I'd always assumed he died for the first time fighting Nappa. I'm looking forward to seeing Piccolo Jr., and maybe a couple more surprises.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:42 pm

With MajinMetroid said, I remember back around 1999 there was lots of info on DBZ on the web, which I mostly ignored, but not a lot of DB. Heck I remember a few years later I saw a site mentioning Roshi blowing up the moon, but they were confused to how it came back in Z for Piccolo to blow up.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:31 am

I still am confused about that! Does that get explained?

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:01 am

It gets explained in volume 14.