DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Fizzer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:It will just be the Funimation cast, except they're all doing horrible, fake English accents.

Goku has a Cockney accent, of course.
I like to think Goku would have a Yorkshire accent :P
I just picture Goku sounding like a male Eliza Dolittle, whereas Gohan sounds like Higgens.

Piccolo is Colonel Pickering.
If he were to do that, it'd probably be like that, he goes on for about 40 seconds, haha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PdYI_t9_Y0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

penguintruth wrote:It will just be the Funimation cast, except they're all doing horrible, fake English accents.

Hopefully it isn't. FUNimation's wannabe English accents are embarrassing.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Sunlight & City Night wrote:snip
The "mysterious recording session" was the Boo-arc of Kai. I don't see how that would have anything to do directly with a new broadcast, unless they go directly into the Boo-arc after Cell is over.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at but who knows. Seems unlikelythat anything like that would appear in the UK before the USA.
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:

Hopefully it isn't. FUNimation's wannabe English accents are embarrassing.
I don't think they've either redubbed a whole anime with Brittish accents just because it's airing in the UK before, so I doubt it will actually happen :P

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh man I'm so excited! I think it could go either way in terms of dubs, the Ocean dub could be exclusively for Canada, or we might see it this time. Only thing I'm kinda miffed about is the fact that it's probably gonna be on Kix. I'm not terribly keen on that channel.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DanTheBib » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:04 pm

First off I want to say it's been far too long since anime in general has aired in the UK. There are a couple of splashes here and there, but for the most part it's non-existant. And to have Dragon Ball back on TV is just fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

However, I think it's pretty unfortunate that it's likely to air on Kix!

I, like some others, hadn't heard of that channel until today. Neither had my younger sister. It makes sense considering what they show (Digimon and Ultimate Muscle, which I'm stoked on finding out), but it doesn't seem..."big" enough to have any real impact.

Unfortunately I don't know any young kids who I can ask about that channel, but it's not with the "main" selection of kids channels (that is Cartoon network, until Disney). I was hoping for a spot on Disney XD, or maybe Nicktoons. That way it would get the most exposure, and that itself would lead to bigger and better things. I hope I'm wrong, but this is sort of anti-climactic for me.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm

DanTheBib wrote:First off I want to say it's been far too long since anime in general has aired in the UK. There are a couple of splashes here and there, but for the most part it's non-existant. And to have Dragon Ball back on TV is just fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

However, I think it's pretty unfortunate that it's likely to air on Kix!

I, like some others, hadn't heard of that channel until today. Neither had my younger sister. It makes sense considering what they show (Digimon and Ultimate Muscle, which I'm stoked on finding out), but it doesn't seem..."big" enough to have any real impact.

Unfortunately I don't know any young kids who I can ask about that channel, but it's not with the "main" selection of kids channels (that is Cartoon network, until Disney). I was hoping for a spot on Disney XD, or maybe Nicktoons. That way it would get the most exposure, and that itself would lead to bigger and better things. I hope I'm wrong, but this is sort of anti-climactic for me.
Being a free channel it will possibly get the UK Dragon Ball fanbase together for Kai, or at least those who like Kai.

When it gets an official release date, I'll get the Freeview box ready for the day.

Btw, I hope it's Ocean Dub Kai.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I wonder if this Kix channel will be more lenient with the censorship since it is a less mainstream channel and wouldn't be under as much pressure as a Cartoon network or Disney XD. It's been years since I've seen ultimate Muscle or Batman of the future but are those shows more censored nowadays than they were ten years ago?

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Am I the only on who thinks having the Ocean dub of Kai is a borderline ridiculous idea? No offense to anyone who would take great enjoyment out of it, I just think it would be very confusing since a lot of people know Funimation's dub well. We get it in games and Hell, we even have Season sets here in the UK. It seems way too outlandish to me.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Ryuman wrote:Am I the only on who thinks having the Ocean dub of Kai is a borderline ridiculous idea? No offense to anyone who would take great enjoyment out of it, I just think it would be very confusing since a lot of people know Funimation's dub well. We get it in games and Hell, we even have Season sets here in the UK. It seems way too outlandish to me.
The fact that we had two different dubs was a bit silly in the first place, but hey, early anime industry and a new company at dubbing, it happens. But now? We do have a quality English dub that's enjoyable and finished, for some time now. While unnecessary, it's something that will be interesting to see.

Though now, the English fanbase will be even further divided. Original Japanese? Ocean Dub? Funi Dub? Kai Japanese? Kai Funi? Kai Ocean? A few people who like the Big Green Dub, it's insane.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Ryuman wrote:Am I the only on who thinks having the Ocean dub of Kai is a borderline ridiculous idea? No offense to anyone who would take great enjoyment out of it, I just think it would be very confusing since a lot of people know Funimation's dub well. We get it in games and Hell, we even have Season sets here in the UK. It seems way too outlandish to me.
The fact that we had two different dubs was a bit silly in the first place, but hey, early anime industry and a new company at dubbing, it happens. But now? We do have a quality English dub that's enjoyable and finished, for some time now. While unnecessary, it's something that will be interesting to see.

Though now, the English fanbase will be even further divided. Original Japanese? Ocean Dub? Funi Dub? Kai Japanese? Kai Funi? Kai Ocean? A few people who like the Big Green Dub, it's insane.
I just ignore the divide in the fan base and like what I like. I'm looking forward to Ocean Kai myself and it does bring a little of that early anime-(multiple)dub feel back lol

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Mewzard wrote:

I just ignore the divide in the fan base and like what I like. I'm looking forward to Ocean Kai myself and it does bring a little of that early anime-(multiple)dub feel back lol

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 pm

I sort of like and sort of don't that there are so many ways to experience Dragon Ball for English speakers. Okay, for volumes one to sixteen and a bit, there's the mange, the anime, and the dub of the anime, mainly, BUT THEN, there's the manga, the anime, the Funi dub, the Ocean dub, Funi with Kikuchi, Yamamoto Kai, Kikuchi Kai, Funi Yamamoto Kai, Funi Kikuchi Kai, and maybe now Ocean Kai... Okay so a lot of these are very similar, yet still somehow very different. I like that there are so many versions of the series because they all bring something good to it, they're all superior to the others in some aspect. What I don't like is that there's no definitive version that just combines the high points of all of them, so recommending DBZ to someone is very difficult. I feel the one true way to experience the story is through a good combination of several of the available forms, and just taking what you like from all of them, they all co-exist and compliment each other beautifully, but when it comes to someone watching it for the first time... Damn.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:15 am

Uhhh..... I'm looking at my Channel listings on my TV (Not a great source, I know, but still) and it shows nothing for Dragon Ball Z Kai on any channels. Perhaps by ''this month'' they mean early December...?

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DanTheBib » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Ryuman wrote:Uhhh..... I'm looking at my Channel listings on my TV (Not a great source, I know, but still) and it shows nothing for Dragon Ball Z Kai on any channels. Perhaps by ''this month'' they mean early December...?
Yeah, I can't see anything either. TV Guide goes up to the 2nd of December, which is a Sunday. Tomorrow I'll see if there are any listings for Monday. There's a shit load of Power Rangers on this weekend though!
dbboxkaifan wrote:Uhhh..... I'm looking at my Channel listings on my TV (Not a great source, I know, but still) and it shows nothing for Dragon Ball Z Kai on any channels. Perhaps by ''this month'' they mean early December...?
Didn't realise it was on Freeview! Maybe that's better than I thought then.

Oh, and Ryuman, I'm totally in agreement with you on the whole Ocean Dub thing. A load of people I've spoke to seem to really want it. I'd much rather just have the FUNi one. I just don't see the point in another dub version.
"Well, I guess there is retarded people out there that has serious complains." - Margarita.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:13 pm

The best would really be in Japanese audio with English subs, but this is aimed at children not exactly its fans, besides subtitles might be too fast for the typical audience to read.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:17 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The best would really be in Japanese audio with English subs, but this is aimed at children not exactly its fans, besides subtitles might be too fast for the typical audience to read.
I'm not entirely certain what you mean. Even in Japan, the target audience is children.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 pm

I mean, the average viewer wants it in a language that's understandable not reading subtitles.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm

DanTheBib wrote:Oh, and Ryuman, I'm totally in agreement with you on the whole Ocean Dub thing. A load of people I've spoke to seem to really want it. I'd much rather just have the FUNi one. I just don't see the point in another dub version.
It's not that I'm opposing an Ocean Dub entirely, it'd be great for the people who want it. I'm just saying that since the UK has been using the Funi dub for a while now (Especially with Season sets currently being released) it'd only be confusing. And then what about an eventual Kai release for the UK? Would that not be Funi? If it was Funi, people who saw Kai through an Ocean broadcast would be confused. If it was Ocean, Funi fans would be annoyed (Good thing the American Kai Blu-Rays are A/B :D ).

DanTheBib
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DanTheBib » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Ryuman wrote:
DanTheBib wrote:Oh, and Ryuman, I'm totally in agreement with you on the whole Ocean Dub thing. A load of people I've spoke to seem to really want it. I'd much rather just have the FUNi one. I just don't see the point in another dub version.
It's not that I'm opposing an Ocean Dub entirely, it'd be great for the people who want it. I'm just saying that since the UK has been using the Funi dub for a while now (Especially with Season sets currently being released) it'd only be confusing. And then what about an eventual Kai release for the UK? Would that not be Funi? If it was Funi, people who saw Kai through an Ocean broadcast would be confused. If it was Ocean, Funi fans would be annoyed (Good thing the American Kai Blu-Rays are A/B :D ).
True. I just don't really see the point.

And I'm with you on the DVD/Blu-Ray front. As we've had FUNi box sets, it seems odd that they'd broadcast/release another version which would just add to confusion/piss people off who purchase it thinking it's one dub, and then they get another.