How could Vegeta, without turning SSJ3, surpass Goku in BoG?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How could Vegeta, without turning SSJ3, surpass Goku in

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Zephyr wrote:If the end of the Buu arc and Battle of Gods' characterization of Vegeta are any indication, he seems to have mellowed out and gained some better perspective on life. Maybe that helped his training out? Maybe this actually allowed him to finally do what Gohan was previously only able to do?

I'm sorry, but saying "nah, Battle of Gods is just full of shit because it doesn't bend over backwards to jive with the Frankenstein's Monster that is the story's 1995 status quo, cherry picked EU information, and my head-canon!" just comes off as lazy, stubborn, and unwilling to accept the story moving forward.
I really makes me a bt happy that there are some open minded fans, not only stubborn onces, who can not accept some new thing because they appearantly contradict the classical DB theories. But we should admit, most of those unconsistency issues which show up over and over again are based on things that could be evoulated further. For example, it was never stated that the SSJ2 for is the best Saiyan form, when it showed to be a really good one. It hasn't been stated that the Base form can not be enough potent if a Saiyan has time to train it. It has been never stated that the SSJ2 and 3 are truely other transformations than SSJ1, although they pretty much similar with only slight differences. On the other had the Oozaru tranformation is something else. And there many more issues like that. Back in Buu saga something was in progress that Super Saiyan forms have some disadvantes, and the first one who had the chance to overcome those, was Gohan. It was never indicated that there wouldn't be any other ways to overcome those weaknesses, other than just to sit down and wait for an old geezer to dance around you to do it :P.(By the Way, did Old Kai do anything during that ritual or only the mediation of Gohan was enough to do that?)
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:03 pm

@Herms

So all in all, SSJ's multiplier abilities can increase. If Goku trains hard enough, his 50x will become a 400x making SSJ = SSJ3?

Nightzus

Post by Nightzus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:45 pm

FoolsGil wrote:@Herms

So all in all, SSJ's multiplier abilities can increase. If Goku trains hard enough, his 50x will become a 400x making SSJ = SSJ3?
It could work like that... if you forget the part where it says that SSJ2 is actually stated as being relative to SSJ.

While I do agree with what Herms said - which I find very interesting, I still find it weird that you can master SSJ to a Full Power state where it does not strain your body and even make SSJ a more-than-50 multipliers and yet cannot do the same for further SSJ2 and SSJ3...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Maybe Vegeta got a rage boost when Cell killed Trunks, but he was still mostly an evil douchebag that the increase was much smaller and proved useless against Green!Freeza. Now that he truly cares about his family and is more open to his emotions, like our hybrid Gohan, he's able to trigger them with much greater force. :P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:46 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Maybe Vegeta got a rage boost when Cell killed Trunks, but he was still mostly an evil douchebag that the increase was much smaller and proved useless against Green!Freeza. Now that he truly cares about his family and is more open to his emotions, like our hybrid Gohan, he's able to trigger them with much greater force. :P
Which completely contradicts what he says in the manga about not getting stronger from wanting to protect someone.

I'm going with the "BoG is full of shit" path, which is clearly the best path. Everything Herms' said can still apply for that anyway - BoG is full of manga-contradicting shit like this, but it seems like it's going to be consistent with that. While it's a large departure from the manga, I assume BoG, Toriyama's recent comments, and RoF will all be pretty consistent with each other rather than the manga. So it's a new direction after all.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:20 pm

I've always liked the idea that the higher Super Saiyan forms aren't separate things, but just what happens when you distort regular Super Saiyan to get more and more power out of it.

Vegeta suddenly getting a rage boost now, though...ehhhh.

C'mon.

And Goku getting to be the super-cool guy who only needs base while Gohan is quietly shuffled off to be fodder for whenever Goku needs to suck the life from his friends and family to win...also ehhhhhhhhhhh.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Saiga wrote:Which completely contradicts what he says in the manga about not getting stronger from wanting to protect someone.
Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure I buy it. Ultimately though, I'm just brainstorming here.

Goku didn't have a whole ton of points where he would have really needed one before Z, but it could be argued that Goku got a rage boost back in DB when he fought Tambourine after Kuririn's death...it was coupled with his debilitating hunger issue. After training with Kami though and becoming an adult, he's seemed to have a better handle on his emotions and comes off as a bit more aloof from his friends and family.Vegeta says he originally thought Goku's strength came from wanting to protect his family and friends, but despite knowing he cares, I'd argue that he honestly may not care enough about them in the same way as what gets Gohan a rage boost.

Vegeta comments on how he got himself a family, but things still didn't seem to be working out for him like they did Goku. That's not what was giving Goku his power though, but even if it were, Vegeta was still enough of a douchebag in the Buu Arc to get himself enslaved and kill people to close the gap between them. I'm not surprised things wouldn't be like he expected, because he really hadn't changed that much. Any boost he might have been getting could have been small enough that you could just chalk it up to just putting forth max effort.

It's not till after his fusion with Goku and the Kakarotto's #1 speech that he starts to truly change. He actually becomes more like Gohan than Goku; more like an Earthling. He's not as much of a dick to Tarble as he would have been, he's willing to throw his pride away for the sake of Earth when Beerus arrives, snapping at Bluma getting slapped by destructive cat god. So the emotion power has finally kicked in.

Goku, since learning about his heritage, really seems to be distancing himself from his humanity. He's still a lovable character when he's around everyone, but he kinda feels like he's turning into a less extreme version of Dr. Manhattan until he's forced into that situation. If there wasn't some super strong guy threatening Earth or able to give him a challenge, it still feels like he'd just forsake everyone these days so he can go punch things.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Herms wrote:I think it's just part of the new approach Toriyama is taking with these things. It may not quite jive with traditional views of how Super Saiyan transformations work, but I think it's actually got a fairly consistent internal logic.

See, fans have gotten used to the idea of the different Super Saiyan forms working like multipliers, so that if regular Goku's X, then as a Super Saiyan he'll be 50X, then 100X as Super Saiyan 2, then 400X for SSj3. That's how the guidebooks described them, and while not all fans got behind those specific numbers, it's been pretty standard to think of the forms as working basically along those lines. A given transformation will make somebody Y times stronger, and the only way for a regular Super Saiyan character to be stronger than a Super Saiyan 2/3 character is if that character's base form is way, way stronger than the other guy's. And even if someone like Vegetto is vastly stronger as an ordinary Super Saiyan than Goku or Gotenks are as Super Saiyan 3s, he'd be even more ridiculously powerful as a Super Saiyan 3 himself. The higher Super Saiyan forms may burn through stamina faster, but overall they're huge improvements on regular Super Saiyan, and there will always be big gaps between the different forms.

...That was the standard view anyway, but it seems Toriyama doesn't see things that way, at least not anymore. BoG presents pissed-off regular Super Saiyan Vegeta as flat-out stronger than Goku, making him presumably stronger than even SSj3 Goku. Then after absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God, Goku holds his own against Beerus much better than he did before as a SSj3. Becoming a regular Super Saiyan again seems to give him a boost, but not really make him that much stronger, since he still can't manage to turn the tables against Beerus. In an interview after BoG's release, Toriyama clarified that from now on Goku will just stick to mastering his regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan, and probably won't bother with Super Saiyan 2 or 3 anymore since they sap too much strength. This of course makes little sense under the traditional view that Super Saiyan 2 is X times as stronger as regular Super Saiyan, and SSj3 is Y times as powerful as SSj2. With that way of thinking of things, 2 and 3 will always put you way above regular Super Saiyan. Who cares about a little lost stamina if you can now beat the other guy in a punch or two? But Toriyama's view these days is that 2 and 3 are just fancy "variations" on Super Saiyan, and that mastering one's regular form and ordinary Super Saiyan is the real way to the top. We've now learned that apparently Goku won't even be transforming into a Super Saiyan at all in the upcoming movie, which may very well be the ultimate expression of this new "basic is best" attitude.

So, long story short, even if it seems awfully inconsistent with the main series and guidebooks, the new movies and Toriyama's recent interviews are fairly consistent in the idea that the boundary between the different Super Saiyan forms and a Saiyan's regular forms is a bit fuzzy. At first a character might train to obtain higher and higher Super Saiyan forms, but in the long run if they train enough they apparently won't need to rely on the any fancy higher forms, and in the end if they train even more they might not need Super Saiyan at all. It sure seems like the same idea behind Gohan's Kaioshin power-up, but while Gohan got the quickie fast track to that advanced Super Saiyan-free state, Goku's gradually getting there through years of training (with some help from the power of Super Saiyan God). On the flipside, we might rationalize Gohan's new-found need to go Super Saiyan again as proof that lack of training has caused him to slide from his enlightened "Ultimate" state back to being a regular dope who needs to rely on transformations again.

As for Vegeta? Well, if Gohan can go beyond the need for Super Saiyan thanks to a quickie power-up, and Goku can train to the point where he can manage with just regular Super Saiyan and not bother with 2 or 3, then it's surely not totally nonsensical to think that anger could push Vegeta straight to the point of not needing Super Saiyan 3 either. Back in the Cell Games, Gohan's anger made him jump straight to Super Saiyan 2, while Goku and Vegeta only reached that point through a few years of training. On the same principle, in BoG anger makes Vegeta go straight to a point where he doesn't need the higher Super Saiyan forms, and can utilize power beyond Super Saiyan 3 while still just an ordinary Super Saiyan. It doesn't seem to be permanent, just as Gohan didn't quite master Super Saiyan 2 even after the Cell Games. Meanwhile, Goku achieves a more permanent form of the same state by absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God and training afterwards, similar to how following the Cell Games both Goku and Vegeta trained to the point where they could become Super Saiyan 2 whenever they wanted.

OK, so what about that x50/x100/x400 stuff? Well, it can still be true, but only up to a point. Strict multipliers like that can be how things work for Saiyans who are just starting out, only reaching these forms for the first time. That's typically how things were for most of the main series, with only Gohan surpassing them thanks to his Kaioshin power-up. Then with these new movies, Goku and Vegeta are finally to the point where they can go beyond traditional SSj3 power as just an ordinary Super Saiyan, or even just in their base state. So the old multipliers don't apply anymore.

Makes sense? Maybe? Well, that's what I've got.
Well, Goku no longer needs the Super Saiyan forms because he absorbed the power of SSGod in his base, which means that the SS forms (1-3 & God) no longer increase his strength (if they did, wouldn't he notice the power changes when he went from God, to base, to SS?), and but they only change his looks, give him stamina problems (SS2 & SS3), and time-limits (SS3 & SSGod). No reason to retcon the Super Saiyan mechanics there, the rules changed because of Super Saiyan God.

As for Vegeta... We have no idea if he is a Super Saiyan or a Super Saiyan 2, since the only way to tell which form Vegeta is is by the sparks in the aura... which is something that the anime usually omits, even in BoG, since Goku barely displays sparks in his SS2 & SS3. Though, it makes more sense for Vegeta to be a And Vegeta's rage boost is also a new thing. The only one that has displayed rage boosts in the past is Gohan, who could do this because he had a huge amount of untapped dormant power as a Saiyan Halfling, which was also greater than that of a full-blooded Saiyan. But Vegeta has trained himself for years to his limits, he has attained Super Saiyan 2, and he even got his dormant power drawn out beyond its limits by Babidi. It doesn't make much sense for his rage boost to be similar to that of Gohan's, since the only dormant power he has left is the dormant power used for Super Saiyan 3 (according to the guidebooks, the SS forms' power source is the Saiyan's dormant power), and Vegeta became even more powerful than a Super Saiyan 3... So, did Vegeta, through his rage, tapped to the SS3 powers while staying in his SS(2?) form? Did he still have more dormant power locked deep inside him? Did he become stronger through "the mysterious power to protect his loved ones" that he was talking about during his monologue during the SS3 Goku vs Boo fight? Did he somehow amplified his power through his rage like he & others do through techniques like Kamehameha, Kaio-ken, Final Flash, etc? And whatever that was, why didn't he awakened this power during any situation in the manga, like when Cell killed Trunks? Whatever that was, we can't be sure. But Vegeta will apparently play a big role in FnF, and since he is receiving training from Whis, I think that there is a huge possibility that we will learn more about this in the new movie. So, I'll wait for that instead of making guesses.

Or... maybe we are talking putting to much thought to it, and Vegeta's power-up was just a gag to say "touch his wife, and he'll even surpass Goku!"... Watanabe (the scriptwriter) describes the scene as a "silly scene":
Yūsuke Watanabe wrote:The scene where Vegeta casts aside his pride for everyone’s sake was shocking. To think he’d go that far. (laughs)
I thought people might even get angry at me, but in the video, it was even sillier than I’d imagined. (laughs) But in the story Toriyama-sensei made, Vegeta was supposed to waver, and there’s even a moment where Vegeta briefly surpasses Goku because he’s got something to protect in Bulma, so that silly scene was also necessary as a lead-in to make it stand out.
If the new movie doesn't say anything about it, then I'll just take it as a gag.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:58 pm

It's most likely that Goku and Vegeta will simply be retconned into having more dormant power than Gohan, if they're already going to steal the concept behind "Ultimate". Maybe Gohan's not turning into the Saiyaman any more because Goku and Vegeta will get superhero outfits, and also become scholars.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Saiga wrote:It's most likely that Goku and Vegeta will simply be retconned into having more dormant power than Gohan, if they're already going to steal the concept behind "Ultimate". Maybe Gohan's not turning into the Saiyaman any more because Goku and Vegeta will get superhero outfits, and also become scholars.
We will also see Goku and Vegeta turning things into candy, laying eggs, regenerating, splitting into multiple copies, and stretching and contorting their bodies.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Rather than trying to factor logic into his power, I'm sure Akira Toriyama did this for his fans who love Vegeta.

He is not stronger than Goku, he's never had "hidden/latent" power/abilities (like Gohan did) and how can he suddenly do that out of nowhere? He is full blood saiyan and emotions do not change his battle power like it would on a half-blood. He can't go from not being able to touch Beerus to overpowering him minutes later.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:05 pm

rereboy wrote:The problem is him having rage boosts at all. NOBODY had rage boosts in Dragon Ball besides Gohan and Fat Buu and both were explained (gohan tapping into his potential, Fat Buu letting his true self emerge). And Vegeta has been angry more times than any other character. Him suddenly having one doesn't make sense. Him being more powerful than he should be in his SSJ can be explained with that whole mastering the basic forms things, but not the rage boost.
Yeah, but this is more of a pure rage than his usual angriness. Perhaps that is why? It's not like it isn't done in other manga. Fairy tail is a prime example of, once villains, characters getting their righteous fury on and being boosted by "Nakama" power. We don't exactly get the story telling us that people other than Gohan or Fat Boo can have rage boosts either. This could just be one of those lucky, once in a lifetime, experiences that Vegeta will never have again.
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:He is not stronger than Goku, he's never had "hidden/latent" power/abilities (like Gohan did) and how can he suddenly do that out of nowhere? He is full blood saiyan and emotions do not change his battle power like it would on a half-blood. He can't go from not being able to touch Beerus to overpowering him minutes later.
Technically he does have "hidden/latent" power because the guidebooks basically say that is what the SSJ forms are, access to their hidden potential. I mean if you want to believe he doesn't then that would mean he couldn't get any stronger then he is at the end of Boo arc. And we honestly don't know who is stronger in BoG disregarding the transformations. Because for all we know Vegeta could have surpassed Goku in strength without the SSJ forms. Meaning that if Vegeta could attain SSJ3 he would be stronger than Goku.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Saiga wrote:It's most likely that Goku and Vegeta will simply be retconned into having more dormant power than Gohan, if they're already going to steal the concept behind "Ultimate". Maybe Gohan's not turning into the Saiyaman any more because Goku and Vegeta will get superhero outfits, and also become scholars.
So it's all right for Gohan to constantly have more dormant power (first it was released by Guru; oh wait, nope, there's more, better let him get super angry at Cell; BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE let the old Kai chant around him and then they sit there for hours and BOOM), but somehow it's not okay for that to be the case for any other character...many of whom have constantly made comments about having 'reached their limits', only to surpass them by far just an arc later, if even that long?

Surpassing and being surpassed has been a part of DB's fight mechanics since almost day o - ...okay, well maybe not that early, but it was already being touched upon in the first Budokai. It's practically always been there. So I don't see why it's such a big deal that Gohan is again surpassed - especially when he's noted to not be as interested in fighting anymore in the first place - much less that Vegeta momentarily gets stronger than Goku. Again, he doesn't even get to keep the power, so...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:The problem is him having rage boosts at all. NOBODY had rage boosts in Dragon Ball besides Gohan and Fat Buu and both were explained (gohan tapping into his potential, Fat Buu letting his true self emerge). And Vegeta has been angry more times than any other character. Him suddenly having one doesn't make sense. Him being more powerful than he should be in his SSJ can be explained with that whole mastering the basic forms things, but not the rage boost.
Yeah, but this is more of a pure rage than his usual angriness. Perhaps that is why? It's not like it isn't done in other manga. Fairy tail is a prime example of, once villains, characters getting their righteous fury on and being boosted by "Nakama" power. We don't exactly get the story telling us that people other than Gohan or Fat Boo can have rage boosts either. This could just be one of those lucky, once in a lifetime, experiences that Vegeta will never have again.
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:He is not stronger than Goku, he's never had "hidden/latent" power/abilities (like Gohan did) and how can he suddenly do that out of nowhere? He is full blood saiyan and emotions do not change his battle power like it would on a half-blood. He can't go from not being able to touch Beerus to overpowering him minutes later.
Technically he does have "hidden/latent" power because the guidebooks basically say that is what the SSJ forms are, access to their hidden potential. I mean if you want to believe he doesn't then that would mean he couldn't get any stronger then he is at the end of Boo arc. And we honestly don't know who is stronger in BoG disregarding the transformations. Because for all we know Vegeta could have surpassed Goku in strength without the SSJ forms. Meaning that if Vegeta could attain SSJ3 he would be stronger than Goku.
Then all the Z fighters and Roshi would have known about Vegeta surpassing Goku before Beerus even showed up, if this were true.

But in Battle of Gods, it wasn't until Vegeta raged over Bulma being slapped when Roshi stated he became stronger, this clearly indicating the movie's plot intended on Vegeta having rage boosts.

In reply to the SSJ thing, that was stated to actually BE the Saiyan's full potential. Not "access" to more potential. I never read this anywhere.

And I'm not saying Vegeta isn't any stronger than in the Buu Saga. He was training to get stronger (Base PL going higher, this is completely different than Rage Boosts, which only Gohan was shown to have...) I hope I was clearer on that.

Anyhow, I'm not putting Vegeta's base higher than Goku's. It doesn't seem right. And I recall King Kai stating Vegeta won't fair any better than Goku did against Beerus. King Kai should know how strong he is.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: So it's all right for Gohan to constantly have more dormant power (first it was released by Guru; oh wait, nope, there's more, better let him get super angry at Cell; BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE let the old Kai chant around him and then they sit there for hours and BOOM), but somehow it's not okay for that to be the case for any other character...many of whom have constantly made comments about having 'reached their limits', only to surpass them by far just an arc later, if even that long?
This is not the same thing. Every character who stated that trained to get more powerful. Gohan's dormant power comes out when he's angry. NONE of the characters in the series besides Gohan had dormant power before Battle Of Gods.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
So it's all right for Gohan to constantly have more dormant power (first it was released by Guru; oh wait, nope, there's more, better let him get super angry at Cell; BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE let the old Kai chant around him and then they sit there for hours and BOOM), but somehow it's not okay for that to be the case for any other character...many of whom have constantly made comments about having 'reached their limits', only to surpass them by far just an arc later, if even that long?

Surpassing and being surpassed has been a part of DB's fight mechanics since almost day o - ...okay, well maybe not that early, but it was already being touched upon in the first Budokai. It's practically always been there. So I don't see why it's such a big deal that Gohan is again surpassed - especially when he's noted to not be as interested in fighting anymore in the first place - much less that Vegeta momentarily gets stronger than Goku. Again, he doesn't even get to keep the power, so...
That's not even remotely related. The fact that they keep surpassing their limits and whatnot is a completely different issue, and I feel that just comes down to people not understanding limits at all. The Daimao - 23rd Budokai arcs should have made that clear long before anyone got confused about Gohan. :roll: Even if they skipped that, the talk about surpassing limits comes before any possible contradiction with Gohan.

So Gohan "constantly having more dormant power" isn't relevant here. Dragon Ball just never used a concept where you brought everything out and couldn't get stronger, ever. The problem isn't with Gohan being surpassed - it happened in the Boo arc, and I'm not complaining about that being possible.

The problem is that Gohan's shtick has seemingly been taken. He was the dormant power guy, built up that way from the start and treated that way consistently. It was a characteristic of his very heritage - something Goku and Vegeta don't share. But now Beerus and Whis believe the dormant power in Goku and Vegeta is the only thing worth talking about, and we've got plenty of implications that Goku's going to start copying Gohan's only unique transformation while Gohan stops using it.

It's not an issue of people surpassing others. One's current strength level isn't a character trait in the same way Gohan's unusual hidden power was. Suddenly retconning other characters into having more hidden power is a break in consistency. After losing Saiyaman, his hidden power, his Ultimate form, what exactly is Gohan going to be left with? He's losing an important part of his personality and what sets him apart from other fighters.

Goku and Vegeta don't need that. Goku already gets Super Saiyan God and Godly ki, there's a chance Vegeta will get Godly ki as well. There was no need to start hyping up their hidden power, or to let Vegeta get rage boosts. If they really needed to do something to make Goku and Vegeta surpass Gohan again, can't they do that without taking things away from Gohan?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:59 pm

All right, admittedly those are some good points - the 'dormant power' thing in regards to 'surpassing limits' deal is different from what you were having an issue with; I was mistaken on that part, my bad. That aside though, I still don't really see how other characters having rage boosts is really that big a deal, especially when, again, Vegeta doesn't get to keep the power. Heck, unless I'm forgetting something - which I again admit is fully possible - there's not even anything said in-film suggesting that Vegeta actually has that level of power deep inside him that he could actually tap into - it could all have been in that exact moment alone. Emotions playing a part in ki levels makes perfect sense to me.

But perhaps it's also just the fact that if a small inconsistency like this is what it takes to give me Vegeta material where I actually don't halfway loathe him entirely? I'll take it. I'll take it gladly. Anything to avoid the return of his previous/usual 'Oh man I'm aweso-oh no, that guy is even more awesome! BUT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE AWESOME ONE RAWR BLAST BLAST BLAST!' style.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:08 am

The abundant negativity and lack of imagination in this thread is disheartening.

Something never happening before doesn't prevent it from being possible later. Things change, and the status quo gets shaken up. Even if Vegeta couldn't get "rage boosts" before, he apparently can now. Maybe it's a new perk of him becoming a good guy somehow. Maybe it's not even straight drawing from dormant power like Gohan's did. Who knows?
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:16 am

Kaboom wrote:The abundant negativity and lack of imagination in this thread is disheartening.

Something never happening before doesn't prevent it from being possible later. Things change, and the status quo gets shaken up. Even if Vegeta couldn't get "rage boosts" before, he apparently can now. Maybe it's a new perk of him becoming a good guy somehow. Maybe it's not even straight drawing from dormant power like Gohan's did. Who knows?
Prior to the movie's release, a bunch of fans wanted Vegeta to have the spotlight. To me this whole thing looks like plot. It makes sense anyway.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:24 am

And I'm disheartened that people think it takes lack of imagination not to accept this stuff. You can spin thousands of theories but that doesn't take away the contradictory elements of contradiction. I'm not going to call people unimaginative if they're not willing to do mental gymnastics to justify why Goku was able to hunt for the Dragon Balls 8 months after a wish was made on them.
All right, admittedly those are some good points - the 'dormant power' thing in regards to 'surpassing limits' deal is different from what you were having an issue with; I was mistaken on that part, my bad. That aside though, I still don't really see how other characters having rage boosts is really that big a deal, especially when, again, Vegeta doesn't get to keep the power. Heck, unless I'm forgetting something - which I again admit is fully possible - there's not even anything said in-film suggesting that Vegeta actually has that level of power deep inside him that he could actually tap into - it could all have been in that exact moment alone. Emotions playing a part in ki levels makes perfect sense to me.
Well, everything about the scene closely resembles Gohan's rage boosts. I think it'd be a stretch to think they work differently when the movie doesn't give any hints toward this. How's he getting so strong if the power isn't even there to tap into? Beerus and Whis' conversation definitely implies it was about his hidden power, though. That's the only thing Vegeta did to impress Beerus and so that must be what caused Beerus to see his potential.

Emotions playing a part in ki makes some sense... except throughout the entire manga have never made that much of an impact. Gohan's case wouldn't need to be explained as a dormant power thing if it was just something emotions could do. We've had too many times where non-Gohan characters have shown a huge range of emotions without that tangibly affecting their combat ability.

It's something that could have made sense if it was used in the series from the start, but there's no evidence of that. Characters who momentarily gain strength from their anger were always something exceptional, it was something that needed its own explanation. I have no problem with Oob having something similar to a rage boost because he's in a similar position with having Pure Boo's power within him, and did that from his debut.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:33 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:Then all the Z fighters and Roshi would have known about Vegeta surpassing Goku before Beerus even showed up, if this were true.

But in Battle of Gods, it wasn't until Vegeta raged over Bulma being slapped when Roshi stated he became stronger, this clearly indicating the movie's plot intended on Vegeta having rage boosts.
Well, why would they say Vegeta has surpassed Goku in strength when Goku is still more powerful than him with the SSJ3 form? In my opinion even if Vegeta is stronger than Goku it means jack if Vegeta is still behind in transformations. Unless Vegeta has over 4x stronger than Goku then his SSJ2 transformation isn't going to beat out SSJ3 Goku's power.
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:In reply to the SSJ thing, that was stated to actually BE the Saiyan's full potential. Not "access" to more potential. I never read this anywhere.

And I'm not saying Vegeta isn't any stronger than in the Buu Saga. He was training to get stronger (Base PL going higher, this is completely different than Rage Boosts, which only Gohan was shown to have...) I hope I was clearer on that.
Well, the only SSJ form that is said to be a Saiyan's full potential is the SSJ3 form.
Daizenshuu 7 Special Attack Dictionary wrote:-3
First Appearance: chapter 474
People: Son Goku, Gotenks
Special features: The strongest form of Super Saiya-jin, which draws the hidden power of a Saiya-jin out to its limits. However, due to the large energy consumption of this form, outside of the afterlife one can only stay transformed for a limited amount of time
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:Anyhow, I'm not putting Vegeta's base higher than Goku's. It doesn't seem right. And I recall King Kai stating Vegeta won't fair any better than Goku did against Beerus. King Kai should know how strong he is.
Well of course Vegeta won't fair any better than Goku. Goku has the SSJ3 form. Like I said, if Vegeta is stronger than Goku in his base form then every from will be stronger than Goku's but if Goku has one more transformation than Vegeta then he isn't going to fair any better than Goku. Is he? Like if it looks like this:

Base Goku: 1
Base Vegeta: 3
SSJ2 Goku: 1*100 = 100
SSJ2 Vegeta 3 * 100 = 300
SSJ3 Goku = 1*400 = 400

^So yeah, how is Vegeta supposed to fair better than SSJ3 Goku with only the SSJ2 form unless Vegeta is over 4x stronger than Goku in general?