Biggest exageration by fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Biggest exageration by fans?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Doctor. wrote:Dragon Ball is the greatest anime of all time.
In terms of rewatchability, longevity (globally), international success, business potential, and marketability, it is. =D

The show's a gold mine compared to other anime.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Dragon Ball Super in general. From both aspects.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:31 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Dragon Ball Super in general. From both aspects.
Question. Your avatar...is it Goku turning Ascended SSJ 4 or just SSJ 4?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:40 pm

successoroffate wrote:
Pretty sure Dragon Ball Heroes only has regular SSJ4 with longer drawn hair.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Cetra wrote:
successoroffate wrote:
Pretty sure Dragon Ball Heroes only has regular SSJ4 with longer drawn hair.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
-----
-----

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:38 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Lightning defines SSJ2.
If we're going by the manga, that's no exaggeration, it's a fact.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: I mean you don't really see him teaching Gohan about life
Should there have been a filler episode where Goku teaches Gohan about the birds and the bees?

I really don't get this. I mean, yeah, for Goten, it was like, "We need more Super Saiyans". But Goku and Chichi were both around for Gohan, and there are quite a few tender moments between father and son.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:39 am

1: Gohan is ruined because reasons.
2: Broly,both character and power.
3: Dragon Ball Super episode 5.
4: Goku is a bad parent.
5: Chi Chi is the most horrible character in the series.
6: Annoying Krillin/Yamcha jokes.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:53 am

- GT Hate.
- DBZ charactesr being the strongest in Fiction.
- Instant Transmission's mechanics & Usages.
- Gohan's perceived, intended role regression ...blah blah & Ultimate Gohan in general.
- DBZ's ending with Uub. Goku leaving hi family isn't new.
- Vegeta's motivation. (Often incorrectly represented by the fans)
- SSJG's Feat from Episode 12.
- Zenkai Boosts.
- Dragonball Super's alleged potential.
- Golden Freeza's plausibility.
- Kid Buu's In-Universe strength.
- GT Pan's characterization (Often lost in the hatred of her not being a Goten clone.)
- Hatred for Bruce Faulconer's Music.
- Hatred of Goku's Japanese Voice.
- How Funny Pilaf Is.
- Dragonball Absolon
- Goku's intelligence.
- Toei's tight budget
- TFS's Humor.
- Arbitrary Youtube Speculation/What-if Videos.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:12 am

Complaining about filler in the anime too, which I find odd, because a lot of the TOEI filler is actually good.

The worst case of filler are usually the padding during fights (especially with Goku Vs. Freeza on Namek), but other than that I don't mind too many pure fillers in the series aside from stuff like fake Namek and such.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:18 am

precita wrote:Complaining about filler in the anime too, which I find odd, because a lot of the TOEI filler is actually good.

The worst case of filler are usually the padding during fights (especially with Goku Vs. Freeza on Namek), but other than that I don't mind too many pure fillers in the series aside from stuff like fake Namek and such.
I wonder if back then, non manga-readers like myself knew how to distinguish between Filler and Non-Filler content, Cause I sure didn't care and I didn't know about Filler.

When I say Non-Manga readers, I mean fans who watched the Anime without knowing there was a manga published before or actually anything other than Anime episodes. Watching the anime as a whole and the only thing, unaware of anything else.

I do read Manga now, but not when I started watching the show.
-----
-----

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:11 am

precita wrote:Complaining about filler in the anime too, which I find odd, because a lot of the TOEI filler is actually good.

Wait, do you mean more fight footage or the constant cutaway filler during the fights?

I do agree that people overblow filler to the point that it's a dirty word. If it's filler it's axiomatically bad.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:16 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:- GT Hate.
- DBZ charactesr being the strongest in Fiction.
- Instant Transmission's mechanics & Usages.
- Gohan's perceived, intended role regression ...blah blah & Ultimate Gohan in general.
- DBZ's ending with Uub. Goku leaving hi family isn't new.
- Vegeta's motivation. (Often incorrectly represented by the fans)
- SSJG's Feat from Episode 12.
- Zenkai Boosts.
- Dragonball Super's alleged potential.
- Golden Freeza's plausibility.
- Kid Buu's In-Universe strength.
- GT Pan's characterization (Often lost in the hatred of her not being a Goten clone.)
- Hatred for Bruce Faulconer's Music.
- Hatred of Goku's Japanese Voice.
- How Funny Pilaf Is.
- Dragonball Absolon
- Goku's intelligence.
- Toei's tight budget
- TFS's Humor.
- Arbitrary Youtube Speculation/What-if Videos.
This list is amazing. Especially bolded, I see it so many times it hurts.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:Dragon Ball is the greatest anime of all time.
But it is...
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:32 pm

I think the biggest exaggeration was just how many "plot holes" GT had. There were somethings that didn't make sense, but the new material isn't helping it any. I've heard about golden Great Ape being a plot hole. Don't see how. Pilaf and the others being alive. Well they're alive in the new material. Vegeta's hair and mustache? Akira Toriyama drew it. Personally, I don't think GT has many "plot holes" as much as oversights. Oversights don't necessarily equate to plot holes.

The next one is one that I completely don't get. People exaggerate how "sexy" the female characters are. Really? What does it for you? The fact that they're drawn, the fact that they're not realistic looking, or the fact that there are many times when they have bad proportions in the animation? It's not like other animes that have women who look like only the most plastic human being. I simply don't get it.

I think people like to exaggerate as to how bad the dub names are. I mean really, how many of them are so drastically off-point? Not many. "Oh but it's Kuririn not Krillin! It's Genki Dama not Spirit Bomb! It's Fakkatsu no F not Resurrection F!" Yeah, well it's Les Trois Mousquetaires not The Three Musketeers. It's Divina Commedia not Divine Comedy. It's Sutorito Faita not Street Fighter. When I hear/read someone complaining about how FUNimaton translated some names, I find it funny that it's not okay for that evil bastard company to "mis-translate" names, but those same people don't go around complaining about how the U.S. version of ANYTHING that originated internationally was adapted as well. What? In Japan, they say "Battoman" instead of Batman? What?! How could they?! That's not how it's pronounced!! That's exactly what I think when people complain how "Kuririn" and "Saiyan" are pronounced in English.

I think people also exaggerate how great the Japanese Dragon Boxes are. Speaking as someone who has all of the Japanese and the U.S. Dragon Boxes, I'm here to tell ya - they're not really that great. The U.S. one is great really only because we get the whole thing in 4:3 and not with horrible picture quality and the subtitles. I get why someone would buy the Japanese Z Dragon Box for the 4:3 and not washed out colors, but the Dragon Ball, GT, and Movies Dragon Box? Those series got a pretty decent release (at least the picture wasn't chopped up) in the U.S. and have subtitles (the most important thing to a fan who doesn't speak Japanese). Getting the Japanese Dragon Boxes is really like the icing on the cake, but I wouldn't want that to be my only owned release. All in all, I can't say I ever sat down and watched more than one episode at a time off of the Japanese Dragon Boxes.

Anyway, those are the biggies that I can think of right now. And I realize when reading back, that my post might come off having some bitter or hateful tone. I just want everyone to know, that's not where I was coming from when typing this up.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I think people like to exaggerate as to how bad the dub names are. I mean really, how many of them are so drastically off-point? Not many. "Oh but it's Kuririn not Krillin! It's Genki Dama not Spirit Bomb! It's Fakkatsu no F not Resurrection F!"
Personally, I think you're exaggerating the exaggeration. All three examples you've given (well, two of them, minus the Genki-Dama translation) are... well, valid. And totally fine.

Those aren't the things people like me fight against. It's the half-translations, it's the still-in-Japanese-but-it's-OK-since-FUNimation-did-it, and it's the bat-shit-outta-left-field stuff. The names were the least of the dub's problems.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:But it is...
MajinMan wrote:For me it is.
And this is why I say it's the biggest exaggeration by fans. I think it's somewhat ignorant to call something the best when there are so many anime to take into account, with so many variables you need to consider. It's my favorite, but I can't help but think someone needs to watch more stuff when they call it the best, I was too one of those people when I was younger. There's nothing inherently wrong to think it's the best, I guess, but I think it's a really big exaggeration, that's it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:In terms of rewatchability, longevity (globally), international success, business potential, and marketability, it is. =D
If we're talking about success here, One Piece is.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 pm

ABED wrote:

Wait, do you mean more fight footage or the constant cutaway filler during the fights?d.
Both. Goku Vs. Freeza had a lot of added fighting that was just a waste of time, because Goku and Freeza would fight for like 1 minute and then stop and stare at each other making comments for about 5 minutes. The constant cuts to King Kai's planet with King Kai explaining everything we just saw to Yamcha/Tien was so boring.

I actually liked the filler scenes on Earth showing Chi Chi/Roshi, etc. trying to get to Namek on a new ship because it was funny. I don't even mind the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet because it at least gave Yamcha and Tien something to do and more fights, even if it didn't really make sense.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Personally, I think you're exaggerating the exaggeration. All three examples you've given (well, two of them, minus the Genki-Dama translation) are... well, valid. And totally fine.

Those aren't the things people like me fight against. It's the half-translations, it's the still-in-Japanese-but-it's-OK-since-FUNimation-did-it, and it's the bat-shit-outta-left-field stuff. The names were the least of the dub's problems.

I didn't say you do that. I have actually had "debates" (if you want to call them that) with people who swore up and down that "Krillin," "Saiyan," and most of the FUNimation translations were wrong. My point is that saying a Japanese-sounding word like "Kuririn" in the middle of an English sentence is jarring and is a bit of a tongue twister, so they adapted it to Krillin, the same way Batman is adapted to "Battoman" in Japanese to flow with the Japanese language. But no, of course, it needs to be "Kuririn" and "Sciya-jin" and "Bejita" and whanot. If you say "So I was coming home from the store and on my TV, there's Kuririn getting stabbed by Freeza (Foo-ree-zah)," it really sounds kind of ridiculous. Obviously in Japanese these names roll off the tongue just fine and are natural-sounding, but for English-speaking audiences, that's simply not the case. Hence the adaptations to "Krillin." But no, of course I'm the one who's wrong and they should have left the names just the way they were. And they shouldn't have touched the "Genki Dama" or "Makankosappo" or "Kikoho" even though they can be translated. Why didn't they just leave the whole thing in Japanese?

Anyway, I wasn't directing this at anyone in particular; the thread is about the fans' exaggerations, not Kanzenshuu members' exaggerations. I hold the Kanzenshuu fanbase above most of the things that are in this thread.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Scarlet Spider wrote:This list is amazing. Especially bolded, I see it so many times it hurts.
It's pretty much the tip of the iceberg to why I don't like the youtube sector of the fanbase that the self-proclaimed "hardcore" fans tend to perpetuate to overview it. Often enough they make it hard to even come to a mutual basis on a lot of misunderstood opinions on trivia when they preach their opinions as fact. You'll have people who will try to second guess Toiyama on things that weren't even implied outside of their own personal interpretation from the source's context. Most of them don't like to be corrected on anything.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.